Sponsored by:

Front license plate laws

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:19 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DAAANG
Why are they scanning everyones plates? What does this get them? I agree DPS seems to be the only ones that really care, but I thought they just use it as an excuse to pull you over so they can see in the car.
unregistered ,stolen, criminals, scoff laws just to name a few
Old 05-25-2017, 08:33 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

If we are going to support front plates nationally, the least we could do is move to the European shape, since the rest of the world pretty much uses that way and a lot of existing front plate provisions are already shaped that way (and I think rectangular is easier to blend than this thing that is nearly square.

Personally I'm not a fan of any plates, I get registration (and think it should be required), but plates to me would be the same as me having to wear a "visible" ID on my person and a violation of my rights. To me registering your car is the same as getting a photo ID for a person, it identifies what that car is. But a plate is ridiculous.

I know this is a minority opinion.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 AM
fenmotorsports
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny enough I live in Austin TX and was pulled over for no front license plate yesterday.

I had cruise control set for the last half hour on a tollway 130. The officer was in front of me for a while, then he pulled to shoulder, slowed and got behind me then pulled me over.

I gave him a confused look, and he knew why. He said you weren't speeding it's about your absent front plate. He gave me a warning. I've not had a front plate since I took delivery on the truck 2 years ago, first time I've been asked about it. Maybe bored, maybe looking for someone in a Black Tundra, who knows.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:55 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Have you seen some of the large European and Mideast plates? Nothing looks worse than these huge appendages attached to the front fascia of a Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. Comparatively, ours in the US are no big deal. I still would prefer not to have one, but not worth the hassle.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:12 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

I think this really comes down to the state and areas you live in. Having just joined the Corvette family I was on the fence on what to do in Colorado.

I have a friend here that has lived in CO for 9+ years and has never put a front plate on any of his vehicles. He's been pulled over for speeding twice, gotten tickets, but they never added on anything for the missing front plate.

I also have been paying attention while driving. About 3% of cars don't have a front plate. Some are out of state and some are new cars with temp tags but a lot of them are also just not running with the front plate.

I'm not going to run one at first. If it leads to issues then I'll put one on. We'll see how it goes.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:18 AM
sparky973
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
I think this really comes down to the state and areas you live in. Having just joined the Corvette family I was on the fence on what to do in Colorado.

I have a friend here that has lived in CO for 9+ years and has never put a front plate on any of his vehicles. He's been pulled over for speeding twice, gotten tickets, but they never added on anything for the missing front plate.

I also have been paying attention while driving. About 3% of cars don't have a front plate. Some are out of state and some are new cars with temp tags but a lot of them are also just not running with the front plate.

I'm not going to run one at first. If it leads to issues then I'll put one on. We'll see how it goes.
same, here! We'll see how things go. I suspect Colorado / metro cops have better things to do
The following users liked this post:
dprestidge (06-07-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Some states will never add them.

Michigan used to have them, we got rid of them in the 80's. I think Mass and Conn are the only states to have them, get rid of them, and now have them again.

Yes, I'm sure some also said we'd NEVER have to get our bodies scanned, X-rayed, and patted down to fly on commercial airliners either.

If it becomes a Federal requirement for national security reasons, the states won't have any choice.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-25-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:25 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Virginia is a two plate state. Honestly as soon as I got my Corvette I ordered a front plate bracket and stuck it on there. I live in NoVA and cops in Fairfax County and Prince William County can be vicious. If it keeps me from talking to a cop I'll put the plate on there. Heck I once had an officer come after me for breaking down on the side of the road, telling me I had to move my car even though the coil spring had snapped punctured the tire and jammed itself on the wheel. He was yelling in my face until the VDOT roadside assistance guys showed up.

No way I'm taking the chance. They would use the missing plate to give you a speeding ticket for going two over, and a moving violation for not signaling for an appropriate amount of time before changing lanes if they can.

Also here is the penalty (er I mean tax) in my county: The No Plate Tax refers to the $100 tax plus an additional $250 penalty assessed annually. This applies to vehicles that are normally garaged or parked in Fairfax County and are subject to Virginia’s vehicle licensing laws. So you get caught they keep charging until you fix it. That's on top of state fines, if the cop cares to hit you with that too which is $40 plus court fees.

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 05-25-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:09 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by DAAANG
Why are they scanning everyones plates? What does this get them? I agree DPS seems to be the only ones that really care, but I thought they just use it as an excuse to pull you over so they can see in the car.
They scan every plate looking for warrants, stolen vehicles etc. Its amazing how much the wide net catches.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:45 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

I think it is well known that traffic stops are used as a net to look for other infractions and generate additional revenue.

I drove home once (Subaru Forester, not a Vette) from CO to OH at Thanksgiving. I got pulled over in IL. The officer stated the reason as "did not signal a lane change". However, he asked not once, not twice, but four separate times if I had any marijuana or drugs in my vehicle. It was clear he did not pull me over for a missed signal. He saw CO plates and had no doubt been instructed to fish for a possession charge as hard as possible.

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
Virginia is a two plate state. Honestly as soon as I got my Corvette I ordered a front plate bracket and stuck it on there. I live in NoVA and cops in Fairfax County and Prince William County can be vicious. If it keeps me from talking to a cop I'll put the plate on there. Heck I once had an officer come after me for breaking down on the side of the road, telling me I had to move my car even though the coil spring had snapped punctured the tire and jammed itself on the wheel. He was yelling in my face until the VDOT roadside assistance guys showed up.
Yup. This is why I said above it depends on the state. VA is notorious for its overzealous LEOs. If I lived in VA I would also put on the front plate, no question. (Of course, I wouldn't choose to live in VA at all but that is another topic entirely...) In CO, just judging by the number of vehicles that don't have a front plate, they are much more lenient. The most common vehicles missing the plate are ones where there is not good mounting option--Vettes, but I also see it on a lot of Lexus and Audi.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:04 PM
sparky973
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
I think it is well known that traffic stops are used as a net to look for other infractions and generate additional revenue.

I drove home once (Subaru Forester, not a Vette) from CO to OH at Thanksgiving. I got pulled over in IL. The officer stated the reason as "did not signal a lane change". However, he asked not once, not twice, but four separate times if I had any marijuana or drugs in my vehicle. It was clear he did not pull me over for a missed signal. He saw CO plates and had no doubt been instructed to fish for a possession charge as hard as possible.

Yup. This is why I said above it depends on the state. VA is notorious for its overzealous LEOs. If I lived in VA I would also put on the front plate, no question. (Of course, I wouldn't choose to live in VA at all but that is another topic entirely...) In CO, just judging by the number of vehicles that don't have a front plate, they are much more lenient. The most common vehicles missing the plate are ones where there is not good mounting option--Vettes, but I also see it on a lot of Lexus and Audi.
just seen a late model mustang with no front plate just on my way back from lunch.. compared to my days on the east coast (jersey native), Colorado is heaven!

Last edited by sparky973; 05-25-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

"... plates to me would be the same as me having to wear a "visible" ID on my person and a violation of my rights."

Wow, just wow!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:35 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
"... plates to me would be the same as me having to wear a "visible" ID on my person and a violation of my rights."

Wow, just wow!
I mean explain how it's different.

If you get a concealed carry must you display your gun registration openly? No.

Literally we have to wear IDs on our cars, it's basically the same thing as what ****'s did to the Jews.

We are used to it so we accept it as normal, but if horse and buggys or horses didn't need "license plates" why do cars? It's strange how they are the only object with a publicly displayed ID.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:45 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dataporter
Here in Merced, California, they have the parking meter maids issue the no front license plate tickets. The meter maids cruise all the streets where people park even where there are no parking restrictions. They cruise the mall parking lot too and issue them there. The first ticket is $186 but the first one can be reduced to $10 if you get it signed off by a LEO that you have installed the plate. They inform you that they have a database and the second and subsequent tickets are $186 each. I'm sure this pays the meter maid's salary and more... The LEO that signed mine off said it looks ugly and said he wouldn't leave it on if it was his car...
Maybe it was just the way I was raised (small town, midwest) but this type of government activity is offensive to me. So, thanks for the heads up... now I just have to remember to avoid Merced at all costs!

Originally Posted by Foosh
Front plate whining is one of the #1 car forum topics. However, I think events are moving toward the requirement becoming even more strictly enforced, and states with no current requirement adding them.

License plate scanners will become an increasingly more powerful LE tool in an increasing crazy world. License plates are no longer just about traffic law enforcement.
You are 100% correct! (unfortunately) Sensors are the wave of the future. People will be tracked 24x7x365/366 by an ever intrusive government and business entities. We actually consent to be tracked more than some of us realize. Our mobile devices (apps) and our vehicles are just two ways the government and corporations will be able to track us, with our consent. You gotta pay to play.

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, I'm sure some also said we'd NEVER have to get our bodies scanned, X-rayed, and patted down to fly on commercial airliners either.

If it becomes a Federal requirement for national security reasons, the states won't have any choice.
I don't know about that. From what I've seen recently, and particularly here in California, states can certainly choose to ignore certain federal laws, and there's not much, if anything, the feds can do about it.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:22 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm in NYS and I run with front plates on all my Vettes and two regular cars. The law is the law. For better or worse!

Last edited by B&BVettes; 05-25-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Sp
The following users liked this post:
fyreline (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 PM
C 7
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Laws only apply to small people / common folk.

Live in IL. I have been running a front plate on all my cars since the late 90's, not worth it to me. If I owned a Corvette, might think twice.

Been pulled over once specifically for it, pulled over for speeding and LEO said "this is in the computer, I need to check you have it on."

It is a roll of the dice. Some LEOs could careless, some pull you over to let you know, they know why you are doing it (like I am supposed to be impressed by that).

Someone said above why do they keep them. In a twist of irony, its the politicians that actually want to get rid of them. Recently IL said that it would save them something like $500,000 (the metal, paint, etc.) but its the constant lobbying and bombardment from LE telling them we need this as a tool.

One day I plan on moving to IN, or somewhere without one.

Last edited by C 7; 05-25-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

If you use the GM supplied Aero Panel the front plate doesn't look bad on the front of the car. The only issue with the Aero Panel is it isn't quite legal since it locates the plate too low. That is why GM also provides the stick on plate holder that mounts above the grille.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Front license plate laws

Old 05-25-2017, 11:26 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4_CE
I don't know about that. From what I've seen recently, and particularly here in California, states can certainly choose to ignore certain federal laws, and there's not much, if anything, the feds can do about it.
Sure, they can only lose their share of Federal Highway Trust funding to fix their crumbling highways.

You must have forgotten the nationwide mandate for 55 mph speed limits a few decades back. Virtually all states (perhaps all) complied because the consequence of refusal was a total loss of federal highway funding. That mandate was ultimately removed.

Requirements for forgery-resistant driver's licenses have also been mandated, because that's about the only form of positive ID most people have. States have been given long time frames to comply, but at the final deadline, failure to comply will result in those states not having their licenses recognized as positive ID for air travel, etc.

Within a decade, I'm reasonably certain license plate scanners will be deployed on all federally-funded interstate highways. That will intensify the push for front plates, as I expect the cry for more "homeland security" will only intensify, as terrorist events become common here.

On the other hand, perhaps technology will make license plates obsolete, and all vehicles will have transponders similar to commercial aircraft, which will provide positive ID on the location of every vehicle along with it's registered owner.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-25-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:10 AM
woodsguy
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

After a year I finally got stopped for it. Not worth the opportunity for them to hassle me, I put it on.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:38 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Originally Posted by woodsguy
After a year I finally got stopped for it. Not worth the opportunity for them to hassle me, I put it on.
What state?

Quick Reply: Front license plate laws