Sponsored by:

Dealership experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep, gearheads like myself know exactly what I want or options I can live with or add extra myself. Like many things I buy on the Net, need little if any help.

Agree in this case something could have been done better, like let the caller know one car has some extra discounts and it could sell quickly.

I'm sure they get many calls per day from "tire kickers" and "wish I could afford's" so not sure a call back would work-but something like call before you come to be sure it's not sold could!
Nice car Jerry!!

I am jammed up and don't have time to wait for an order. I need the car to be broken in and serviced by the 3rd week of June for my Wife's first track event of the season. That's why I was looking at something used initially. We were not nearly this jammed up last year with the Viper ACR-E which we took delivery of in April but boy was it a PITA to get the miles on it we needed before this same event at NJMP last year.

I honestly didn't know "Bonus Tags" were actually real. lol!! I again just assumed they were dealership BS put on old inventory. I was shocked they had two "old cars" in exactly the color she wants. Anyway, my fault for not educating myself.

I will see if I can find one with a bonus tag car somewhere in an acceptable color now that I have been tempted. Can't bring myself to do the same car for 4k more for literally no reason other than a bonus tag assignment.

If I do find one I am going to have to drive the thing day and night to get the break-in miles on it. After next week the window to make the event with a brand new car pretty much closes anyway so may just end up with nothing which is fine.

With Dave's graciousness here and clear explanation of the circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car from Kerbeck if it were the right one at the right price. I shouldn't have acted the way I did. I should have worked toward truly understanding the situation and asked more questions. Just a really crappy day leading up to a misunderstanding minutes into what I thought would be a great experience.

This has been an education for me and I appreciate everyone's help.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (05-25-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:32 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by itaylorm
Dave,

Thanks for chiming in, many wouldn't. But I do think this was handled wrong. If the salesman he talked with the on the phone had said, hey there are two, one with the special price and the other without then it wouldn't have been a wasted trip. Or you might have tried to work something out.
Yes, exactly. Had he said we have one on special ($4K off), so get down here quickly before it's sold, would have been the way it should have been handled.

If I was told "we have two identical cars", I would assume identical equipment and price (w/o knowing the bonus tag deal). This is on the Salesman IMO.

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 05-24-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:36 AM
MacMulkin
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 4,105 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh

I honestly didn't know "Bonus Tags" were actually real. lol!! I again just assumed they were dealership BS put on old inventory. I was shocked they had two "old cars" in exactly the color she wants. Anyway, my fault for not educating myself.
It's not your fault. Bonus Tags are very real and can be confusing to the customer if they don't understand the process and the dealership doesn't explain it. Hopefully my post above helps clarify some of that.

Corvette Sales & Incentives

The following 3 users liked this post by MacMulkin:
EmbraceNext (05-25-2017), itaylorm (05-24-2017), Racingswh (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:49 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,025 Posts

If GM had some common sense and street smarts they would keep at least a few bonus tags open for situations such as this. The bottom line behind a dealer tag is to move inventory, I can't see why it makes a difference which inventory and when the tag is applied other than giving a limited time frame when it can be applied. Leave it up to the dealer when and what they apply it to and that would be the solution to both move cars and keep the customer happy.
itaylorm (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:52 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by MacMulkin
It's frustrating for the dealers, because at times, GM will roll out Bonus Tag incentives 2-3 times per month which tends to be a lot of work for us.

It's frustrating for you, because you don't understand the process.

GM will issue Bonus Tags good toward THEIR chosen VINs, OR they will give the dealer a set number of Bonus Tags that are good toward any in-stock Chevrolet. At that point, it's up to the discretion of the dealer on which cars they want to apply that Bonus Tag too.

For example: let's say that June 1st, GM comes to us and says, "here's 10 Bonus Tags you can use on any in-stock 2017 Chevrolet model..." At that point, it's up to our discretion on which cars we want to Bonus Tag. HOWEVER, GM will give the dealer only 24 hours, or sometimes 2-4 days to select which cars they're going to bonus tag, and then the dealer HAS to report those VINs that have been tagged, back to GM.

Once those VINs are reported, we CANNOT change or swap bonus tags from one car to another.

It isn't a "bait and switch" situation. We do not "bait and switch" and neither does Kerbeck.

So, before you go slamming a Chevrolet dealership for how they handle their bonus tags, understand, that GM places restrictions on all of it's dealerships on how Bonus Tags are handled each month.

As far as the rest of the discount pricing and how it shows on a dealer's web site - that's up to the dealership's discretion.

The discounting we do each month is our own and the prices reflect that on our web site. The price you see on our web site, is the price you pay, other than your registration fees and taxes.

Regardless of whether you physically walk into the showroom, or call us on the phone - the price you will see and hear will be the same.

The only time that may not be the case, is when we change pricing due to incentives, and sometimes it takes up to 24 hours for the pricing to reflect on the web site. That's something totally out of our control because of how the back-end inventory feeds are set up, and processed on a daily basis.

Thanks for explaining the madness that is the bonus tag rebates. It certainly makes it more complex for everyone, but expecting customers to fully understand this process (especially when dealers don't even know how bonus tags might be applied ahead of time) is the problem I see here. It means communication between the salesman and the perspective buyer is even more critical or it can very well feel like a bait and switch scenario. Which is exactly how it looks in this thread.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

It's not your fault. Bonus Tags are very real and can be confusing to the customer if they don't understand the process and the dealership doesn't explain it. Hopefully my post above helps clarify some of that.
Your post was great and helped to clarify what happened as well.

In business we educate ourselves before we make decisions in order to better predict what the outcome will be from those decisions. This was no different in my eyes. It's a business transaction and I should have educated myself before going in. I was treating it like going to the grocery store where both gallons of "White milk with Red tops" sitting side by side are the same price which was the wrong way for me to look at it.
MacMulkin (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:54 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007
If GM had some common sense and street smarts they would keep at least a few bonus tags open for situations such as this. The bottom line behind a dealer tag is to move inventory, I can't see why it makes a difference which inventory and when the tag is applied other than giving a limited time frame when it can be applied. Leave it up to the dealer when and what they apply it to and that would be the solution to both move cars and keep the customer happy.
It's not just GM. You want to see crazy? Look into Chrysler's rebates. It makes GM look like a walk in the park.
direct007 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:55 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

All car manufacturers do crazy things. Incentives in many cases are tied to a car, a period of time or other unique things that can make it interesting/challenging to compare like for like cars.

Love to see the interaction between the dealership and the customer here, both handling it very professionally if you ask me :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by mountainears:
direct007 (05-24-2017), MacMulkin (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:56 AM
MacMulkin

Originally Posted by thill444
Thanks for explaining the madness that is the bonus tag rebates. It certainly makes it more complex for everyone, but expecting customers to fully understand this process (especially when dealers don't even know how bonus tags might be applied ahead of time) is the problem I see here. It means communication between the salesman and the perspective buyer is even more critical or it can very well feel like a bait and switch scenario. Which is exactly how it looks in this thread.
Agreed. Communication is key. And you're right, we cannot predict ahead of time how Bonus Tags or GM incentives can be applied. Sometimes, we won't know for the first few days of the month until GM tells us, and then it's a mad rush to try to update the pricing and get it out there to the public.

That's why, if you ask a dealership, what the incentives will be next month - they can't tell you. It's not that they're trying to be difficult or coy with the customer - it's that they really can't tell you, because they won't know until GM tells them.
The following 2 users liked this post by MacMulkin:
JerryU (05-24-2017), Racingswh (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 AM
MacMulkin

Originally Posted by direct007
Dave at Kerbeck did a good job explaining how the cars are picked for Bonus Tags.

If GM gives us free reign on which cars we can pick, we don't just throw stock numbers into a hat and pick them out at random. We try to analyze, what's moving and what isn't. If we have a glut of a particular color in inventory, we may tag those cars to try and move them a little easier. We also may look at how long a particular car has been in inventory. If it's been sitting for a long time, we may tag that one to try and give it a little boost.

Last edited by MacMulkin; 05-24-2017 at 11:02 AM.
JerryU (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:13 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Thank you for really clarifying the details even further. Makes total sense.

It's frustrating for the dealers, because at times, GM will roll out Bonus Tag incentives 2-3 times per month which tends to be a lot of work for us.

It's frustrating for you, because you don't understand the process.

GM will issue Bonus Tags good toward THEIR chosen VINs, OR they will give the dealer a set number of Bonus Tags that are good toward any in-stock Chevrolet. At that point, it's up to the discretion of the dealer on which cars they want to apply that Bonus Tag too.

For example: let's say that June 1st, GM comes to us and says, "here's 10 Bonus Tags you can use on any in-stock 2017 Chevrolet model..." At that point, it's up to our discretion on which cars we want to Bonus Tag. HOWEVER, GM will give the dealer only 24 hours, or sometimes 2-4 days to select which cars they're going to bonus tag, and then the dealer HAS to report those VINs that have been tagged, back to GM.

Once those VINs are reported, we CANNOT change or swap bonus tags from one car to another.

It isn't a "bait and switch" situation. We do not "bait and switch" and neither does Kerbeck.

So, before you go slamming a Chevrolet dealership for how they handle their bonus tags, understand, that GM places restrictions on all of it's dealerships on how Bonus Tags are handled each month.

As far as the rest of the discount pricing and how it shows on a dealer's web site - that's up to the dealership's discretion.

The discounting we do each month is our own and the prices reflect that on our web site. The price you see on our web site, is the price you pay, other than your registration fees and taxes.

Regardless of whether you physically walk into the showroom, or call us on the phone - the price you will see and hear will be the same.

The only time that may not be the case, is when we change pricing due to incentives, and sometimes it takes up to 24 hours for the pricing to reflect on the web site. That's something totally out of our control because of how the back-end inventory feeds are set up, and processed on a daily basis.
MacMulkin (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:19 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Excellent thread.....very informative!
The following 3 users liked this post by OntarioOrangeC3:
Crossed Flags Fan (05-31-2017), Racingswh (05-24-2017), Rebel Yell (05-25-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:38 AM
jluke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been doing business with Kerbeck and Dave for the past 15 years. I have purchased seven Corvettes during that time period and they have treated me with the respect and professionalism one would expect. They are the number one Corvette dealer in the world for many, many years. They certainly must be doing something right.
If GM sets the rules for the red tag sale, I believe Dave when he states he is restricted to change a tag to another vehicle.
I have read various posts complaining about Kerbeck and their business model. I have never questioned their honesty and integrity during any of my pervious transactions and never been disappointed with the purchase.
The following 3 users liked this post by jluke:
direct007 (05-24-2017), JerryU (05-24-2017), Racingswh (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:42 AM
Dave@Ciocca

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Nice car Jerry!!

I am jammed up and don't have time to wait for an order. I need the car to be broken in and serviced by the 3rd week of June for my Wife's first track event of the season. That's why I was looking at something used initially. We were not nearly this jammed up last year with the Viper ACR-E which we took delivery of in April but boy was it a PITA to get the miles on it we needed before this same event at NJMP last year.

I will see if I can find one with a bonus tag car somewhere in an acceptable color now that I have been tempted. Can't bring myself to do the same car for 4k more for literally no reason other than a bonus tag assignment.

If I do find one I am going to have to drive the thing day and night to get the break-in miles on it. After next week the window to make the event with a brand new car pretty much closes anyway so may just end up with nothing which is fine.

With Dave's graciousness here and clear explanation of the circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car from Kerbeck if it were the right one at the right price. I shouldn't have acted the way I did. I should have worked toward truly understanding the situation and asked more questions. Just a really crappy day leading up to a misunderstanding minutes into what I thought would be a great experience.

Everyone has bad days and there's no need to apologize because we must have been having one as well.

Please send an email to dave@kerbeck.com so I have your contact info. I will put a tag on the dupe car on June 1st (if they are doing Bonus Tags again) if you don't find something before that.

I was also hoping GM may make an announcement late this week for a surprise batch of tags for Memorial Day to help close the month but I haven't heard anything yet. If they were going to do that my guess is that we will hear something by Friday.

Its probably just wishful thinking on our part!

Dave
The following 6 users liked this post by Dave@Ciocca:
CliffB-99 (05-25-2017), Crossed Flags Fan (05-31-2017), direct007 (05-24-2017), itaylorm (05-24-2017), Racingswh (05-24-2017), Rebel Yell (05-25-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

Dealers and GM can spin this however they want.

If what happened to the OP happend to me, I would have been just as angry.

He was given a price for a specific option car and was told there were two. He showed up to buy it and one of two was sold. He was then told if he wanted the second one it was $4k more. No matter how you spin the story, he was deceived and left angry because the offered car at the price he was quoted was now not being offered for sale after he arrived.

From his point of view and from that of ANY customer, this is exactly what bait and switch is.

Quit spinning it and fix the problem. Make it right.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcthorne:
SilverGhost (05-24-2017), Vetteram (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:51 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm of the opinion that all this crazy stuff going on with prices is maddening and I was never comfortable knowing if I was getting a good deal or not. That prevented me from buying last July from a major dealer near where I live. The sales guy gave me some BS about prices so I waited.

5 months later I saw what I knew was a deal I could never beat so I bought the car sight unseen from a trusted forum dealer from a guy named Rick (lol). Wired the money. Never did that before but still felt relaxed about how it was going to go down.

Best decision I made. Love the car, don't regret it one bit, and I did not have to dork around with prices because his ad on this forum showed exactly the asking price.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...51-24-off.html

Added Jake Stinger myself and the poverty splitter. Still looking to do the rear spoiler in cfm.

Last edited by thirtythird; 05-24-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:10 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by thirtythird
I'm of the opinion that all this crazy stuff going on with prices is maddening and I was never comfortable knowing if I was getting a good deal or not. That prevented me from buying last July from a major dealer near where I live. The sales guy gave me some BS about prices so I waited.

5 months later I saw what I knew was a deal I could never beat so I bought the car sight unseen from a trusted forum dealer from a guy named Rick (lol). Wired the money. Never did that before but still felt relaxed about how it was going to go down.

Best decision I made. Love the car, don't regret it one bit, and I did not have to dork around with prices because his ad on this forum showed exactly the asking price.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...51-24-off.html

Added Jake Stinger myself and the poverty splitter. Still looking to do the rear spoiler in cfm.
Thats nice and the car was a deal...I sent him an email asking about doing a factory order and never got a reply/

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership experience

Old 05-24-2017, 02:04 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
Thats nice and the car was a deal...I sent him an email asking about doing a factory order and never got a reply/
Exact same thing happened to me. In fact I gave this dealer two chances. I was under some time constraints and got worried I couldn't get an order in on time so I went to the next dealer on the list. By the time he got back to me I had already placed the order. HE SHOULD HAVE MOVED FASTER! But it seems to me this brings up an issue of sorts. We really have two kinds of dealers.

The first kind of dealer is the normal Chevrolet dealer that does have a web site for advertising, but they depend on local traffic and walk-in sales. Prospective buyers are local and buy in the traditional way. They depend on the salesmen for guidance. They want to see, feel, and drive a car before committing. They really are not comfortable "doing a deal" by email or sending large amounts across the country by wire. And neither is the dealer. A few years ago these dealers started designating one person on their sales staff as the "Internet sales guy." He was the youngest guy on staff who knew about all this "Internet stuff" and was familiar with e-mail. These dealers would negotiate, but not on Corvettes.

The second kind of dealer has embraced the Internet and depends on volume sales at steep discounts. These are our forum dealers and they are used to deals done sight unseen by people like us who are quite comfortable with the Internet and tend to be self-educated. We know the RPO codes by heart, have configured multiple vehicles on the Chevy web site, stay familiar with current deals and discount percentages, and think nothing of sending $80K across the country to someone we've never met. We don't need to be coddled by a sales guy or a dealer, don't need to test drive the car, and just want to get in and out as fast as possible with best deal available. There is no way any of us are going to "stop by" one of these dealerships, usually because they are thousands of miles away.

Generally speaking there are two different kinds of dealers and two different kinds of buyers. And in this case the two got mixed up. OP was expecting a more traditional kind of experience and Kerbeck, which is very Internet-oriented, was expecting another kind of experience. HE SHOULD HAVE MOVED FASTER! The two views conflicted, confusion resulted, and accusations started flying. GM doesn't help matters, and for the record, I think GM treats their dealers like crap--which is not unusual in the car industry. Nissan is one of the worst. But the fact is that this conflict was almost predictable and bound to happen. The Internet is a crazy fast-paced environment. Both dealers and customers need to adapt or they'll lose.
JerryU (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 02:42 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice car Jerry!!

Hey Steve I am almost your neighbor over here in Richboro PA....I found my 16 ZO6 at Kerbeck last May..... I got first class service from the time I set foot in the showroom....something tells me they will do everything they can to get you in the car you want..... I know it was a pain to drive down there and not get the car you found but on the up side we all got a great education on this pricing system.... if you go to the DVCC Show next month we may get to say hi...

Ron
The following 2 users liked this post by RFBHD:
JerryU (05-24-2017), Racingswh (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 03:07 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Dave at Kerbeck did a good job explaining how the cars are picked for Bonus Tags.

If GM gives us free reign on which cars we can pick, we don't just throw stock numbers into a hat and pick them out at random. We try to analyze, what's moving and what isn't. If we have a glut of a particular color in inventory, we may tag those cars to try and move them a little easier. We also may look at how long a particular car has been in inventory. If it's been sitting for a long time, we may tag that one to try and give it a little boost.
I understand exactly the predicament that the dealers are in. I also understand the basic underlying marketing reason for the GM dealer tag system but like many large corporations as well as the government, they don't think the whole process through thoroughly and a situation such as with this particular customer can arise. If the dealer had the authority to pull a tag from another vehicle or had free reign over choosing which vehicle to apply the tag to if and when needed (aka at the time of the sale), they would have made the sale and kept the customer happy. Now because of GM's convoluted rules and regulations, this customer understandably walks from the dealership empty handed hoping that he can find a similar deal elsewhere or needs to wait for Kerbeck to be able to offer the deal if/when more tags are made available in June. Frustrating for the dealer and the customer to say the least. When large corporations have the best interest of both the dealer and the customer in mind, things go much smoother.

Again, not the dealer's fault, but the way the game is played.

Quick Reply: Dealership experience