Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership experience

Old 05-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by RFBHD
Hey Steve I am almost your neighbor over here in Richboro PA....I found my 16 ZO6 at Kerbeck last May..... I got first class service from the time I set foot in the showroom....something tells me they will do everything they can to get you in the car you want..... I know it was a pain to drive down there and not get the car you found but on the up side we all got a great education on this pricing system.... if you go to the DVCC Show next month we may get to say hi...

Ron
We live over in Chalfont. My Partner lives in Richboro as did/does an old car business friend Ed Crane who was with Faulkner many years ago.

I have been meaning to get to a DVCC event. Her C6Z isn't really street legal so we don't drive it anywhere except on the track or to get gas if we absolutely have to. I am waiting on an engine for it and it's going to be awhile longer or I wouldn't be in this bind. I don't want her to miss the season. Watkins Glen is just too much fun.

Once we get this C7 I am going to do my absolute best to leave it alone. That way we can drive it on the street and enjoy it once in awhile. Then we can drive it to some DVCC events.

Her 3 favorite colors she just text me now:

White / Adrenalin Red

Red / Adrenalin Red

Red / Black

Have to be able to find something that will work!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OntarioOrangeC3
Excellent thread.....very informative!
Honestly had no idea this thread would be this educational for me. All I knew for certain was that there was a lot I didn't know about this process and is why I relayed the experience. I was hopeful I would get clear answers and have.

I have found that often times if there's a misunderstanding it's just me as was the case here. Not the other way around. I am normally mindful of that but yesterday just wasn't one my more mindful days.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

You were not wrong in being very upset. Under the same circumstances, I would be too. The salesman should have been honest and up front with you and disclosed the fact that one of the cars was $4000 more when he represented them as being exactly the same. Keep looking, you'll find the right one.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:28 PM
bulldawgs
5th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

You had every right to be angry. Typical dealer doublespeak. Salesman should have been up front about price difference. Rick Hendrick tried to pull this same move on me on a C6. I gladly purchased elsewhere.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:28 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,754 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
You are right about it being frustrating, but I disagree with what you say the goal of the dealer is, at least here.

At the beginning of the month, GM may give me 40 bonus tags to use on Corvettes. Now I have over 200 cars in stock and I have to pick what cars to put them on. We try to put them on the popular color combinations but we want to spread it out over various models, body styles and transmissions. We also may have some older cars in stock that we want to try to move. Those 40 tags go fast!

On our site, all of the cars are getting the same type of discounting. We are making the same amount of money on a car with a bonus tag as we are on a car without a bonus tag so we have no reason to switch someone from one car to another. Our goal is to simply get you into a car you love at a price you think is fair.

Dave
Dave, why not take a tag off another car and give it to this guy for the inconvenience? So he has to wait a week or two big deal.

if your salesman said what Steve said he did, represented that you have two identically equipped corvettes same colr and options nobody is thinking one is cheaper than the other. Especially when the salesman brings it to his attention as another member mentioned above.

if you went somewhere and it happened to you you would be very upset. Especially for the reason he was buying the car.

simple fix won't cost you a penny more.

hate to say it, but truth be told. Mike Furman (Criswell chevy) would never let that happen. That's why I bought from him. You're only 30 minutes from me and my buddy. But we purchased our almost 100k msrp Z06's from Criswell. Not having the personal interaction you get with guy like Mike makes it easy to travel 3 hrs away even if it's for a few bucks more. You have a beautiful dealership but I found the sales people there a little pretentious for my taste.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-24-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:26 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience, but this is not any kind of "bait and switch. All of our cars are priced on the website. We have have many duplicate cars and duplicate cars have the same discount unless we have one that has a bonus tag on it and those cars are clearly marked on the site showing the bonus tag.

The current bonus tag program gives a customer rebate on top of an additional dealer discount which totals between $4,000 and $5,000 depending on the car.

We sell, on average, 4 or 5 new Corvettes per day and it's no surprise that the bonus tag cars sell much faster than the ones with no tags.

I usually see all of the customers who come to our showroom, but somehow I didn't meet you last night because I would have tried to explain this to you while you there.

Of course, none of this makes up for your disappointment fir not getting the car you wanted at the price you were expecting, but I wanted to explain what happened and that there was nothing fishy or dishonest going in, we just sold the bonus tag car you were looking at before you came in.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.

Dave
This scripted reply suggests your well versed with how this policy angers the consumer yet you persist with the policy. Odd.

I for one would not shop at a dealer than employed a model like this.
I do not need transparency but when two identical vehicles has a $4,000 price difference, I will leave faster than the car I was looking at.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:37 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Dave, why not take a tag off another car and give it to this guy for the inconvenience? So he has to wait a week or two big deal.

if your salesman said what Steve said he did, represented that you have two identically equipped corvettes same colr and options nobody is thinking one is cheaper than the other. Especially when the salesman brings it to his attention as another member mentioned above.

if you went somewhere and it happened to you you would be very upset. Especially for the reason he was buying the car.

simple fix won't cost you a penny more.

hate to say it, but truth be told. Mike Criswell would never let that happen. That's why I bought from him. You're only 30 minutes from me and my buddy. But we purchased our almost 100k msrp Z06's from Criswell. Not having the personal interaction you get with guy like Mike makes it easy to travel 3 hrs away even if it's for a few bucks more. You have a beautiful dealership but I found the sales people there a little pretentious for my taste.
You may have missed the previous posts. Chevy doesn't let you take a tag from another car and put it on the car of their choice. That was a point that I brought up earlier. The tags are issued in a short time frame on a select number of cars that the dealer selects. Those are the cars that must be sold with the tags... the dealer does not have the discretion to change the tagged cars after they are already selected.

I can appreciate your loyalty to Mike, but Kerbeck is on the up and up with no BS. They do 3 times the volume of sales that Mike's dealership does and work as a team. I agree that the salesman dropped the ball when he didn't make it clear that although they had two identical cars, only one had the discount tag and they aren't permitted to move tags around. I'm sure they learned by this honest mistake to make this clear going forward. If they rubbed you the wrong way, it's Mike's gain and their loss but I along with thousands of others can vouch for Kerbeck's integrity and transparency.
The following 3 users liked this post by direct007:
Hopper12 (05-24-2017), Racingswh (05-24-2017), RFBHD (05-25-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 09:48 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Our goal is to simply get you into a car you love at a price you think is fair.

Dave
Stop. Your goal is to sell cars, everything else is secondary.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:49 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by direct007
You may have missed the previous posts. Chevy doesn't let you take a tag from another car and put it on the car of their choice. That was a point that I brought up earlier. The tags are issued in a short time frame on a select number of cars that the dealer selects.
you couldn't be more wrong you can move any tag when the following occurs.

Every couple of weeks you have a 48hr window or so to move bonus tags around.

I know because I have the login through a family member. I've purchased vehicles based on this very premise. Finding where a super bonus tag falls on a particular vehicle and at what dealer. Tags are vin specific. How they get you to buy different color or option usually something tough to sell. Usually. In kerbecks case these are eye catching then look that one sold...but here's one for 4k more.

That sales guy really misled our forum member here. Sorry. Just a fact. You don't say I have two identical cars knowing the OP called for the one that's 4k less.

I've called and had sales people argue with me regarding super bonus tags, extra lease cash..you name it... and I'm looking at it on the screen only for them to call me back apologizing. " I didn't know, I thought it was only 2k" meanwhile it's 5k. Dave can easily rectify this in a couple weeks MAX. If he chooses to.

That's why I say dealing with a Mike Furman is a different experience. He's honest, upfront, INFORMING, and EDUCATING.

any dealer can, if they want to, put the tag on what they want. It goes by percentage of inventory and certain caps on particular vehicles etc.

Then super bonus tags are in addition usually around certain events (year end, march madness etc).

so if 4k OFF on one vette? He can do it again next tag open date.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-24-2017 at 09:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
SilverGhost (05-24-2017), Thunder22 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Dave is making this right even though part of it was my fault for not educating myself properly.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car from them for one moment and will if he can tag one of these cars my Wife wants. They have her 3 top color picks in stock. As I am typing this I am thinking I should just give him a deposit tomorrow so if he can do the deal the car is ours. Well my Wife's to be exact.

I am looking forward to meeting Dave in person and apologizing to the Salesperson for my unprofessional behavior. Caught me in an off mood and I was being a dick. lol!!

I am good now and I appreciate GM car buying education I have received.
The following 6 users liked this post by Racingswh:
CliffB-99 (05-25-2017), direct007 (05-24-2017), Foosh (05-24-2017), JerryU (05-24-2017), Rebel Yell (05-25-2017), RFBHD (05-25-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:04 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,024 Posts

you couldn't be more wrong you can move any tag when the following occurs.

Every couple of weeks you have a 48hr window or so to move bonus tags around.

I know because I have the login through a family member. I've purchased vehicles based on this very premise. Finding where a super bonus tag falls on a particular vehicle and at what dealer. Tags are vin specific. How they get you to buy different color or option usually something tough to sell. Usually. In kerbecks case these are eye catching then look that one sold...but here's one for 4k more.

That sales guy really misled our forum member here. Sorry. Just a fact. You don't say I have two identical cars knowing the OP called for the one that's 4k less.

I've called and had sales people argue with me regarding super bonus tags, extra lease cash..you name it... and I'm looking at it on the screen only for them to call me back apologizing. " I didn't know, I thought it was only 2k" meanwhile it's 5k. Dave can easily rectify this in a couple weeks MAX. If he chooses to.

That's why I say dealing with a Mike Furman is a different experience. He's honest, upfront, INFORMING, and EDUCATING.

any dealer can, if they want to, put the tag on what they want. It goes by percentage of inventory and certain caps on particular vehicles etc.

Then super bonus tags are in addition usually around certain events (year end, march madness etc).

so if 4k OFF on one vette? He can do it again next tag open date.
I didn't miss any of what you posted, the point I was trying to make is they couldn't have moved a tag around at the time the customer was at the dealership. Dave already offered to issue a tag at the next opportunity which could come as soon as this weekend, if not...in June.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Good for you o.p. He should be able to without any additional issues. They'll be no rebuttal to what I mentioned regarding the tags moving because anyone with the actual knowledge in how it works will agree. Either that or everyone else is doing it wrong. And I highly doubt that.

you will lose certain tags if the tagged car doesn't sell. That's why GM gives the dealer the chance to move them around every 2 weeks or whatever the exact is. But close to that.

I don't know why Dave didn't just tell you in a PM instead of responding publicly here. Would have looked like a hero had you posted tomorrow how they took care of you and what a great dealer they are etc. Again, they sell the most because of location and inventory. They are in middle of tristate area. More money here that just about everywhere else in the country. And that's the way they treat you when you walk in. Like... you want it? great.. if not? have a nice day. It's Like dealing with a box store vs mom and pop.

another terrible lie, dealer can't put a bonus tag on a newer just in stock car. They can..they just Choose not to because it doesn't benefit them. They also are allowed certain number of 250 dollar coupons per month. For the super haggler. So many "tricks of the trade" your head would spin.

GM was screwing over the smarter dealers who at years end would not have an overabundance of old stock by giving xXxX dollars off vehicles in inventory over certain number of days...

dealers that were smart with inventory got nothing to get customers in their own showrooms. So GM gives super bonus tags which only select new models are eligible for to help those who were smart with inventory have a fighting chance while all the discounts on last year's cars were out.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:27 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by direct007
I didn't miss any of what you posted, the point I was trying to make is they couldn't have moved a tag around at the time the customer was at the dealership. Dave already offered to issue a tag at the next opportunity which could come as soon as this weekend, if not...in June.
Misunderstood your knowledge or lack thereof regarding how it Really works. Because 99% don't have a clue.

I was one of them until I cared enough to learn. Shame on me I had the tools at my
disposal just didn't care to learn earlier.

Now I get annoyed when I see things like what happened to the op Dealt with. And had he not complained here it would have gone unresolved.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:22 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

I've read thru the posts with a lot of interest.

* I appreciate the OPs anger and disappointment. I also appreciate and respect the way the OP has owned up to reacting in a way that's almost certainly out of character for him. We've all been there, and had days like that. The good news is that good people are always forgiving of this sort of thing, and often end up 'friends' as a result.

* I also appreciate the way Dave@Kerbeck has responded with explanations and, ultimately, a solution.

* I believe that there was no bait and switch intended at all. Just poor communication that Dave has recognized and provided a solution.

* We purchased our first C7 from Kerbeck. 100% satisfaction all the way. No pressure. Just facts and bending over backward to get us comfortable making the purchase and shipping the car sight unseen.

* I do have a pretty good understanding of how the bonus tag system works. We just purchased our 9th new car in 10 years (6 for my wife and me; 3 for family members) from our local Cadillac/GMC/Buick dealer. Our daughter and son-in-law are about to have their 3rd child and needed a vehicle with 3 rows of seating. Our dealer had a new '17 Acadia on the lot that was a dealer trade, and they'd had if for about 3 weeks. The trading dealer thought the Acadia was still in their inventory and tagged it (the VIN). Our kids got a great deal - $45k sticker for $36k+. This dealer isn't really large, and only had 6 tags this month - none of the others were what our kids needed because they had already applied them to other make/model VINs. When we're not in a rush and know we're going to pick up a new car, this dealer will save a tag for us and put it on the car of our choice.

* I'm very impressed with both the OP and Dave for the way they are working this out. And it's a good education for all of us.
The following users liked this post:
direct007 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:57 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Good for you o.p. He should be able to without any additional issues. They'll be no rebuttal to what I mentioned regarding the tags moving because anyone with the actual knowledge in how it works will agree. Either that or everyone else is doing it wrong. And I highly doubt that.

you will lose certain tags if the tagged car doesn't sell. That's why GM gives the dealer the chance to move them around every 2 weeks or whatever the exact is. But close to that.

I don't know why Dave didn't just tell you in a PM instead of responding publicly here. Would have looked like a hero had you posted tomorrow how they took care of you and what a great dealer they are etc. Again, they sell the most because of location and inventory. They are in middle of tristate area. More money here that just about everywhere else in the country. And that's the way they treat you when you walk in. Like... you want it? great.. if not? have a nice day. It's Like dealing with a box store vs mom and pop.

another terrible lie, dealer can't put a bonus tag on a newer just in stock car. They can..they just Choose not to because it doesn't benefit them. They also are allowed certain number of 250 dollar coupons per month. For the super haggler. So many "tricks of the trade" your head would spin.

GM was screwing over the smarter dealers who at years end would not have an overabundance of old stock by giving xXxX dollars off vehicles in inventory over certain number of days...

dealers that were smart with inventory got nothing to get customers in their own showrooms. So GM gives super bonus tags which only select new models are eligible for to help those who were smart with inventory have a fighting chance while all the discounts on last year's cars were out.
I just want to point out where you are a bit confused. GM never lets us move tags. Once or twice a month GM may award us additional tags over and above what we got at the start of the month and we can put them on what we want but only have a day or 2 to do it. However, the original tags stay where they are. If there is another round of tags this month, we'll give him one. We have been speaking outside of this thread and I have quite a few cars that will work for him.

Dave
The following 5 users liked this post by Dave@Ciocca:
direct007 (05-25-2017), Foosh (05-25-2017), itaylorm (05-25-2017), Rebel Yell (05-25-2017), RFBHD (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:27 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

very informative thread, in general. Hope the OP and Kerbeck can make a deal...
Old 05-25-2017, 12:30 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

I just want to point out where you are a bit confused. GM never lets us move tags. Once or twice a month GM may award us additional tags over and above what we got at the start of the month and we can put them on what we want but only have a day or 2 to do it. However, the original tags stay where they are. If there is another round of tags this month, we'll give him one. We have been speaking outside of this thread and I have quite a few cars that will work for him.

Dave
when's the last month you didn't get additional tags? I'm told never happens.

And that Dave is what the point is. Your inital response here didn't seem to be reflect what you just stated. Take care of the op. Tag the car he wants.

Thanks for replying and clearing that up.

and it's not the OP who should apologize to the salesman. It's the salesman that needs to either be trained in the common sense area or if it was deliberate or neglectful fired becaise he put your reputation on the line.

"I have two identical cars but i should warn you only one is 4k off..... Do you want to put a refundable deposit by CC on it to hold for 24hrs?"

^^^^^ that was hard...

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-25-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership experience

Old 05-25-2017, 12:36 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Seems to me it's time to let this rest. There was poor communication on both sides. OP didn't do his homework, and the salesperson was cryptic in saying, "we have another one just like it."

Dave has made it right. OP has acknowledged his role as well. It's over with a good outcome for all.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
direct007 (05-26-2017), Rebel Yell (05-25-2017), RFBHD (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 07:24 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

when's the last month you didn't get additional tags? I'm told never happens.

And that Dave is what the point is. Your inital response here didn't seem to be reflect what you just stated. Take care of the op. Tag the car he wants.

Thanks for replying and clearing that up.

and it's not the OP who should apologize to the salesman. It's the salesman that needs to either be trained in the common sense area or if it was deliberate or neglectful fired becaise he put your reputation on the line.

"I have two identical cars but i should warn you only one is 4k off..... Do you want to put a refundable deposit by CC on it to hold for 24hrs?"

^^^^^ that was hard...
We already got extra tags this month in the 15th. Two out of the last three months we only got one reload which is what we have received so far this month and, so far, no other reloads have been announced for May.

And I agree with you about the apology and I have said the same thing in this thread and to the OP personally outside of this thread.

Dave
Old 05-25-2017, 07:26 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for addressing this issue so publicly in the threads.

We already got extra tags this month in the 15th. Two out of the last three months we only got one reload which is what we have received so far this month and, so far, no other reloads have been announced for May.

And I agree with you about the apology and I have said the same thing in this thread and to the OP personally outside of this thread.

Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by itaylorm:
direct007 (05-26-2017), Rebel Yell (05-25-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealership experience