Sponsored by:

Tire pressure sensor recalibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:00 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,464 Likes on 1,021 Posts

He is asking about sensor calibration; why do you guys keep referring to the learning process?

The calibration can be done AFAIK, and is necessary for cars in high elevation since TPMS only measures absolute pressure. It's actually not the calibration of the sensors themselves (they're measuring it right). What is calibrated is the 'offset' value to calculate the relative pressure. At high elevation, the outside pressure can be significantly lower.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:39 AM
p3pilot
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
He is asking about sensor calibration; why do you guys keep referring to the learning process?

The calibration can be done AFAIK, and is necessary for cars in high elevation since TPMS only measures absolute pressure. It's actually not the calibration of the sensors themselves (they're measuring it right). What is calibrated is the 'offset' value to calculate the relative pressure. At high elevation, the outside pressure can be significantly lower.
Read post #10. He isn't asking about calibration.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:26 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by X25
Post #10 from the OP

Originally Posted by Two Toes
OK, my choice of "recalibrate" was incorrect. I am replacing all tires and wheels next week. My previous four Corvettes had procedures for the RESET of the TMPS. But since I have found articles on the internet stating "not all C7 automatic reset works correctly". Therefore, I reached out to you guys for your experience, expertise and English lesson.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
...The calibration can be done AFAIK, and is necessary for cars in high elevation since TPMS only measures absolute pressure. It's actually not the calibration of the sensors themselves (they're measuring it right). What is calibrated is the 'offset' value to calculate the relative pressure. At high elevation, the outside pressure can be significantly lower.
Nope - no elevation correction is possible with our TPMS.

No "calibration" of the TPMS or Tire Pressure Sensors can be performed - what we got is what we got!!

The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (05-27-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:24 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

Wow....this got me confused. On my 2008 C6 I have gotten new tires/wheels and sensors from Discount Tire Direct....came to me mounted and balanced ready to go. At first I thought they had "mated" (for lack of better term) the new sensors to the car as it showed normal pressure....until I drove a few miles and the readout went to "service" on the readouts. I figured I had to take the car to a dealer to have them do to reset with a handheld device in front of each wheel to get the car to recognize the new sensors. Help me get unconfused guys! Tks.

Last edited by gilbybarr; 05-25-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:54 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

same question...is the TPMS re-learn procedure different on the C6 than the C7 ? OMs seems to indicate as such...
Old 05-26-2017, 12:08 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbybarr
Wow....this got me confused. On my 2008 C6 I have gotten new tires/wheels and sensors from Discount Tire Direct....came to me mounted and balanced ready to go. At first I thought they had "mated" (for lack of better term) the new sensors to the car as it showed normal pressure....until I drove a few miles and the readout went to "service" on the readouts. I figured I had to take the car to a dealer to have them do to reset with a handheld device in front of each wheel to get the car to recognize the new sensors. Help me get unconfused guys! Tks.
OK.

When changing tires, or replacing sensors, the C7 will learn the new tire positions after driving a bit (within 15 miles, but in much less, in my experience) unlike the C6 which had to have the car learn the new tire positions with a tool.

There is no known "calibration" for elevation offset.
The following 2 users liked this post by owc6:
alexsoo (05-27-2017), JerryU (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:13 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

thanks, Lisa...
Old 05-26-2017, 10:02 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Well Elmer, regardless of what the manual says, all I can tell you is that I bought new wheels, new TPMS sensors, and new MPS AS3+ tires, had them mounted and balanced, brought them home, bolted them on myself, and did absolutely nothing to have them recognized instantly as soon as I started the car and before it moved. The pressures read exactly what I measured with a tire gauge on each corner.

When I put the OEM PSS set back on a couple of weeks ago, it read the correct pressures on those instantly as well.
Exact same thing here.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:48 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

...I bought new wheels, new TPMS sensors, and new MPS AS3+ tires, had them mounted and balanced, brought them home, bolted them on myself, and did absolutely nothing to have them recognized instantly as soon as I started the car and before it moved. The pressures read exactly what I measured with a tire gauge on each corner.

When I put the OEM PSS set back on a couple of weeks ago, it read the correct pressures on those instantly as well.
Well....take a look at the info from my 2016 Service Manual in the picture below. If both sets of your wheels/tires have the same pressure, then it might appear that something is happening "instantly", but that's just not how it works!!

In the Service Manual info you can see that it says when the vehicle sits still the sensors go into a "Stationary" mode, and there are several references to 40 km/h (25 MPH) for 9 minutes - that's what is required for the sensors to go into the "Wake" mode then the "Drive" mode in order for them to send their data to the TPMS:

When the vehicle is stationary, the sensors internal accelerometer is inactive which puts the sensors into a Stationary state. In this state the sensors sample tire pressure once every 30 S and do not transmit at all if the tire pressure does not change.
You can also see that if you put on a new set of wheels/tires with a different set of sensors, replace an individual sensor, swap wheels from side-to-side, etc., then you'll need to do the 25 MPH/9 min drive procedure:

If a new sensor has ben installed or tire rotated, the system will automatically detect and assign it to the proper corner. For this to happen, the vehicle will need to be driven at speed greater than 40 km/h for about 9 min.

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-27-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Foosh (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Thanks, that explains why I haven't noticed, and no action on my part has been necessary. After swapping tire sets, the first thing I do is my fun 30-minute loop on twisty country roads around my property.

Every time I've checked, the sensor readings have always exactly matched my tire pressure gauge readings.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:48 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

When I swap from street to track wheels/tires/sensors, I have 30 psi in my street tires, and 26-28 psi in the ones for the track.

When I install the track wheels/tires/sensors, I set the DIC so it displays the tire pressures. It initially displays the 30 psi pressure of my street tires (maybe a little higher if I've been driving around and they've warmed up a bit), but after installing the track wheels and driving around for several minutes faster than 25 mph the much lower psi of my track tires starts to pop into the display.

If I've been doing any track prep where I've disconnected the battery, I'll have dashes for tire pressures until I drive around for several minutes, then the tire pressures start to pop into the display and replace the dashes.

I've never kept track of the time it takes, but it seems to me that it usually only takes 4 or 5 minutes instead of the Service Manual 9 minutes.

Next time you swap on a set of wheels with different sensors, pump the tires up to maybe 5 psi greater than the pressure of the tires on the car. Set the DIC to display your tire pressures and I think you'll see that they don't immediately display that higher pressure. Drive around faster than 25 mph for 9 minutes and watch the DIC display to see the higher pressure start to display. Then adjust to your normal tire pressure.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:58 PM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put the TPMS into "learn" mode this way. With the engine running, the car at a standstill, and the tire pressures displayed, push and hold the SEL button on the right side of the steering wheel until the horn honks. Then drive and the system will quickly read whatever sensors you've mounted.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:41 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, but we've already established you don't need to do that. The car will read them automatically after just driving on new sensors for a few minutes.
BlueDevilZ51 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-28-2017, 04:23 AM
Holster Maker
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, but we've already established you don't need to do that. The car will read them automatically after just driving on new sensors for a few minutes.
The C7's do exactly as above, usually in your long driveway or before. Love the new TPMS. Why do people think they still have C-6's or whatever TPMS's. One of the little reasons buying this C7.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:40 AM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, but as you say it can take a bit of time until the new sensors are recognized. So, if you want to speed up the process, you can use the learn procedure.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

I've never tried it, but perhaps the manual reset might save a few minutes. As noted in post #32, the manual states the auto reset happens within 9 minutes, but in actuality, it takes 4-5 minutes.

How long does the manual reset procedure take?

Get notified of new replies

To Tire pressure sensor recalibration

Old 05-28-2017, 01:32 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, did not think it was possible to "calibrate."
And if it was- what would you calibrate it with?
That's a good question, and one I researched almost nine years ago in quest of a pressure gauge with an accuracy guarantee. The only one I found was a calibration gauge that was designed to be used sparingly and mostly for checking other gauges--but it was too expensive for my budget. At that time I had several gauges and their readings varied by more than 3#, which IMO is unacceptable, but I used an average for an accuracy reference.

I ended up buying one (Accutire MS-4000) with a good reputation for accuracy and gives readouts in 0.5# increments. It jibed almost exactly with the TPMS in my C6, 2015 C7, and now 2017 C7. I still use the other gauges but etched the reading error on each one. The Accutire gauge is now my standard calibrating gauge even if it is off a fraction of a pound or so, as I'll never know for sure.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
That's a good question, and one I researched almost nine years ago in quest of a pressure gauge with an accuracy guarantee. The only one I found was a calibration gauge that was designed to be used sparingly and mostly for checking other gauges--but it was too expensive for my budget. At that time I had several gauges and their readings varied by more than 3#, which IMO is unacceptable, but I used an average for an accuracy reference.

I ended up buying one (Accutire MS-4000) with a good reputation for accuracy and gives readouts in 0.5# increments. It jibed almost exactly with the TPMS in my C6, 2015 C7, and now 2017 C7. I still use the other gauges but etched the reading error on each one. The Accutire gauge is now my standard calibrating gauge even if it is off a fraction of a pound or so, as I'll never know for sure.
Yep to meet ISO (an other) quality standards we had to have pressure gauges calibrated once a year. There are labs that do that for a living! They also calibrate torque wrenches, calipers etc to known standards.

That degree of accuracy is not needed for a car tire unless you're racing! Then repeatability more than "Dead ***** Accuracy" is the key, it's all relative. My $60 Jegs digital gauge (more $ now) that reads in tenths is what I have found works fine.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:58 PM
bsedwebt
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I am looking to buy some new wheels and new TPMS sensors. I found several sets of 4 on Ebay with everything needed (caps, stems, units, etc,,,) for about $75 that say they are for the Corvette C7 but I have seen different Hz ratings - what rating am I looking for on a 2017 base Stingray?

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensor recalibration