C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer sold me a tuned car which now has a voided warranty, what should I do?-Texas

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:12 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I would just want to be sure that the aftermarket warranty would not red flag any issues in the future because of the tuning that was done and/or reversing of tuning. I'd want to see that in writing....
Old 05-25-2017, 02:14 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

$495 to flash the stock tune? Mind blown. It's like a $50 for 1 GM credit on HP tuners and about 10 minutes of work.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettelegaladvice
It looks like they are going to pay for an aftermarket extended warranty as well as for a stock tune. I am thinking I might just settle with that as it will cause both of us less of a headache. thanks guys
I hate to tell you this, but in the case of an engine problem, any after market warranty company is going to check for a warranty block before approving your claim. Moreover, flashing it back to stock will not hide the fact that it was once tuned because the fingerprints of the non-OEM tune will remain on the ECU.

Once tuned, there is no going back and the engine part of any warranties are no longer honored. The fine print of any warranty defines never altered from OEM specs.

I'd sue and demand a full refund, and in the future run a VIN check with a dealer on any used car you're considering.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-25-2017 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NSC5 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 02:43 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

It looks like they are going to pay for an aftermarket extended warranty as well as for a stock tune. I am thinking I might just settle with that as it will cause both of us less of a headache. thanks guys
Be very careful about accepting the deal which sounds good on the surface. An aftermarket extended warranty may not offer you any protection as indeed it is an extension of the manufacturer warranty. Before accepting the offer, read the warranty they are offering very carefully. Otherwise, you may end up with false confidence in the coverage you can expect.

Last edited by vettetwo; 05-25-2017 at 02:44 PM.
NSC5 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 02:57 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Are you sure your extended warranty will cover a car that has been flagged by the manufacturer? I am assuming your car is now in GM's system and flagged for powertrain denial on warranty repairs.

Do your homework on this.

Honestly, I think you should bring the car back and get your money back. There are tons of unmodified garage queens, as well as discounted new ones.

Last edited by thill444; 05-25-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:58 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
I hate to tell you this, but in the case of an engine problem, any after market warranty company is going to check for a warranty block before approving your claim. Moreover, flashing it back to stock will not hide the fact that it was once tuned because the fingerprints of the non-OEM tune will remain on the ECU.

Once tuned, there is no going back and the engine part of any warranties are no longer honored. The fine print of any warranty defines never altered from OEM specs.

I'd sue and demand a full refund, and in the future run a VIN check with a dealer on any used car you're considering.
This. Except you may not need to sue just yet.

Last edited by thill444; 05-25-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:09 PM
springer-
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

I would take the car back and give the dealer 2 options. First, they can give you a full refund and make you whole again and take the car back OR they can speak with your lawyers.

I would start with a simple asking them for a refund. If they become defensive or flat out refuse, then bring up the lawyers.

Do not make idle threats though. Do not get upset with them. Simply leave and get a lawyer. Follow through and fight it. Recommend to the lawyer to go to the state and report the incident.
Maxie2U (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:17 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

The offer will certainly be less of a headache for the dealer, but your headaches will continue. They are looking at an easy way out of the deal they know was not right.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:20 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Make them take it back!
Maxie2U (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:24 PM
traronf
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts

I would not want that car, what else was done to it and how was it driven? I'm not a lawyer but would question the validity of any extended warranty with the history on that vehicle.
Maxie2U (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

As you say the V4 mode is not working it could be something as simple as someone installed a Range plug in device that disables the active fuel management system. It plugs in the OBD port under the steering wheel. There is no de-tune necessary, just pull the thing out.

You may want to check this before the dealer tries to remove a tune that ain't there.

Here's the info.

https://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v4
Old 05-25-2017, 03:32 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
As you say the V4 mode is not working it could be something as simple as someone installed a Range plug in device that disables the active fuel management system. It plugs in the OBD port under the steering wheel. There is no de-tune necessary, just pull the thing out.

You may want to check this before the dealer tries to remove a tune that ain't there.

Here's the info.

https://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v4
If the dealer flagged it it won't matter what the mod was.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:34 PM
RVC
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I would not take this deal. Aftermarket warranties are generally crap....especially on a C7 Vette. If you are concerned about having a warranty, figure out another deal with them. Trust what the forum guys are telling you.
Maxie2U (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:39 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I personally wouldn't own a Corvette with a tune, warranty or not. It's not worth the risk of how it may have been treated during its prior life.
Maxie2U (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:43 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

M7 correct? If you like the car, and plan on keeping it past it's original warranty, how about asking them for another $4k off to cover repairs that would normally be under warranty? Of course, the problem with this is you will figure out the markup on the warranty, which is probably damn near double. Maybe take $3k and keep the thing?
Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

With all the C7's for sale why buy a problem child? Take it back for a refund or have them get you another car? Lets say in a year or two you want another car? You are going to have a problem selling or trading this one? Get out of it now!!!
Old 05-25-2017, 04:21 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I see from one of your posts that the car in question is a M7. It makes absolutely no sense with the manual transmission to have a tune just to get rid of V4 mode because the manual only goes into V4 mode if eco mode is selected. And you wouldn't select eco mode unless you wanted it in V4 mode. So unless the previous owner was clueless that tune is doing more than just removing V4 mode.
probono (05-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer sold me a tuned car which now has a voided warranty, what should I do?-Texas

Old 05-25-2017, 04:36 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by NSC5
I see from one of your posts that the car in question is a M7. It makes absolutely no sense with the manual transmission to have a tune just to get rid of V4 mode because the manual only goes into V4 mode if eco mode is selected. And you wouldn't select eco mode unless you wanted it in V4 mode. So unless the previous owner was clueless that tune is doing more than just removing V4 mode.

So.... The real questions are:

Does the car go into V4 mode when you switch to ECO.

Does the car NOT go into V4 mode in the ECO mode?

What the heck was tuned?

Elmer
Rebel Yell (05-27-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 04:43 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Right on Foosh! This has danger written all over it! I would run away as soon as possible. Get the attorney now. OP, you should not agree with your dealers offer to settle this.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^I don't know what was or wasn't tuned out, but it doesn't matter. OP, you are screwed unless you can get all your money back. All. Not some. And the deal you're going to get on another car will just put you more in the hole. This is an unscrupulous dealer who sold you a car, told you things that they know weren't true (or worse, didn't know, but said it anyway to sell you the car), and now is going to soak you for another warranty that is not a warranty.

As nsc5 said, and as I can see from your post you came on here AFTER you bought and noticed you had a problem. You have an as-is car. Period. If the engine, trans, diff, or etc. goes, it's all on your nickel. Your pockets.

Again as nsc5 said, if 'we' the used car buying public don't know to, or decide the seller is "a good guy and looks honest" and we DON'T CHECK the VIS report which may show a tune, a warranty block, a warranty denial (from any GM dealer svce. dept. FOR FREE), then sorry to say, it will be on your account of not doing due diligence. The words to remember are caveat emptor. You are the buyer, you have to beware.

And no lawyer will work for free, so you'd better hope this lousy dealer gives you back all your money. But I doubt it.

About the only good to come out of this are the tens, or hundreds of people who read this and say, "I never knew I should check about a warranty block, or a known tune. Maybe I better do that next ____when I go buy a used Corvette." FILL in the blank with : week, month, year.

Good luck, corvlegaladvice. Tell us how it all turns out for you. We're hopeful, but realistic, too.

Last edited by AORoads; 05-25-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Walt White Coupe (05-25-2017)

Quick Reply: Dealer sold me a tuned car which now has a voided warranty, what should I do?-Texas