C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I stubbed my baby's toe, gonna be a $400.00 mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:01 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Default I stubbed my baby's toe, gonna be a $400.00 mistake!

2016 Base Coupe ~3400 miles total.
Driving to work today, I took my usual exit, and in the instant I glanced at the traffic signals about 400 yards ahead, my left tire hit something hard!

A saw out of the corner of my eye a softball size of concrete flying away from the point of impact. I immediately felt something 'not right' coming from the left front. I wasn't far from work so I drove to our parking lot and when I looked. . . D**! the tire was budged and cut near the bead.

I thought the tire would get me to a nearby repair shop, but it wasn't going to get me all the home tonight. So, I called around; two tire dealers, and two Chevy dealers, and one Chevy dealer had a very competitive price on the tire + labor. In the end, I figured it a better move to have a Corvette tire replaced & wheel checked at a Chevy dealer than a random Firestone dealer

So, I'm sitting here at Johnny Londoff Chevrolet in Florissant, MO. They say the rim is fine, but that single moment of looking up from the road is going to cost me ~$380 dollars for a new Pilot Sport Cup + mount & balance.

There's been some dump trucks coming and going from a clean dirt landfill near our light industrial complex for the last several weeks, I imagine I can thank a careless dump truck driver for delivering that chunk of concrete to the exit ramp

One thing though, I am getting the DSC Sport Controller tomorrow, so while at a dealership, I went ahead and asked for an alignment to DSC recommended alignment specs.

Last edited by fnbrowning; 05-25-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:07 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

One of the reasons why I got the tire/wheel warranty. That one hit would have just about paid for it. Hoping I never use it, but feel good having it :-)
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:40 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
One of the reasons why I got the tire/wheel warranty. That one hit would have just about paid for it. Hoping I never use it, but feel good having it :-)
Yeah, I had a bad dealership experience, I posted about them here not long after I bought the car. And in point of fact, eight months later I just found that the reason I haven't received my title after I paid off the car was the dealership never properly signed the odometer statement, and the state won't release the title to me until the dealer properly endorses the paperwork.

The dealership got so many things wrong, I'm not surprised I wasn't offered the separate tire & wheel warranty when I bought the car.

Last edited by fnbrowning; 05-25-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:46 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I bought it after purchase / delivery. Cheaper that way too. Not sure what the time limit is though...how long after you can get that warranty. They other extended warranty stuff you want to wait until the end of your 3 year/36k mile period.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:49 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
Any warranty such as this essentially is insurance.

Generally insurance is designed to cover losses you usually can't handle on your own financially. (IE: Loss of car, loss of house and the like.)

While the wheel/tire insurance offers you a certain sort of peace of mind, what's the likelihood that you'll ever use it? If you think, "Not high," don't bother. If you think, "Likely," go ahead and get it.

It's your individual choice to make. There's no one "right" answer for everybody.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:14 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

You were very luck not to have bent the wheel; you probably caught the (stronger) outside of the wheel rather than the inside.

Get notified of new replies

To I stubbed my baby's toe, gonna be a $400.00 mistake!

Quick Reply: I stubbed my baby's toe, gonna be a $400.00 mistake!