Sponsored by:

C7 sway bars on Stingray model

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default C7 sway bars on Stingray model

I am starting to research a 2018 Stingray coupe non-Z51 and after reading several articles on the C7 and reviewing the forum comments, am I to understand that the base model does not come with any sway bars on the front and rear suspensions. Does the Z51 model have them installed as part of the option?
My C6 came with them but I upgraded them to the Z06 diameter sway bars.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:04 PM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

I've had 2 base C7's now. The base model comes with a softer front sway bar than the Z51, and no rear sway bar. I upgraded both cars to the front to the Z51 bar and added the rear z51 bar. Relatively inexpensive and an easy install.

The Z51 comes standard with front and rear bars.

I'm considering changing to z51 (or Jonny O'connel) shocks next but kinda like having softer shocks with the condition of the roads around here!!

Last edited by 555ctsv; 05-26-2017 at 11:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 555ctsv:
McCarthy1986 (03-02-2020), Mike's Sweet 19 (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:30 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 555ctsv
I've had 2 base C7's now. The base model comes with a softer front sway bar than the Z51, and no rear sway bar. I upgraded both cars to the front to the Z51 bar and added the rear z51 bar. Relatively inexpensive and an easy install.

I'm considering changing to z51 (or Jonny O'connel) shocks next but kinda like having softer shocks with the condition of the roads around here!!
OP here if you put r buy a rear sway bar make sure you buy the hard ware to mount the rear bar. Robert
The following users liked this post:
GrayMatter2014 (11-13-2020)
Old 05-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 555ctsv

The Johnny O shocks are not as stiff as the Z51 shocks and are purported to have a better ride than the base shocks over bumps and better control at speed due to more sophisticated damping.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:41 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
The Johnny O shocks are not as stiff as the Z51 shocks and are purported to have a better ride than the base shocks over bumps and better control at speed due to more sophisticated damping.
FWIW
The base shocks are 36 mm diameter. My 2014 Z51 did not have mag shocks, its Bilsteins are larger, 45 mm. They are tuned for the stiffer springs and larger sway bars. Typical of a performance shock the Bilsteins have complex valving to handle variable rate loads (but only as a none electronic controlled shock.)

Now have a Grand Sport that comes with mag shocks. The ride is softer set at Touring than my 2014, Z51-but not that much. Set at Track it is a much stiffer ride, even on our relatively smooth roads in Eastern SC.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-27-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:18 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

The Z51 bars were the perfect upgrade for my base...made no other changes.
Flattens out the turns...doesn't impact straight line feel at all.
ZO6 bars, I thought, would be too strong absent other mods.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:00 PM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

Oh man that would be great then! I drove a friend's Z51 and man it felt good but definitely stiff. Great for the track but not so much for daily driving through construction sites.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:44 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

When I had my 2015 Stingray I installed the Z51 rear bar but retained the stock non-Z51 front bar. I posted a question here before doing it, and that prompted me to go ahead with the idea. It reduced understeer, body roll, and felt tighter in corners--but I never experienced any unexpected (non-power) oversteer. The standard front bar is only 1.8mm smaller in diameter than the Z51 counterpart.
The following users liked this post:
McCarthy1986 (03-02-2020)
Old 05-27-2017, 08:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
When I had my 2015 Stingray I installed the Z51 rear bar but retained the stock non-Z51 front bar. I posted a question here before doing it, and that prompted me to go ahead with the idea. It reduced understeer, body roll, and felt tighter in corners--but I never experienced any unexpected (non-power) oversteer. The standard front bar is only 1.8mm smaller in diameter than the Z51 counterpart.
A small amount of oversteer is not a problem IMO, as long as you know how to deal with it! I think GM designs a small amount of understand because of the natural reaction when you're going into a turn too fast. With understeer turn the wheel where you want the front of the car to go. If too fast it may not go there but it is the normal reaction.

DETAILS: With oversteer as the rear end is sliding off the road you must turn the wheel into the skid. If you turn the opposite way you just accelerate the rotation of the car and make the situation worse! The pic below shows both.

Having a modified '67 Corvair that had a Vette like parallelogram rear suspension, and although not a swing axle, the rear weight bias made it oversteer. GM even recommended 16 psi in the front tires in attempt to reduce front grip. Most folks never read the manual and did not use that low a pressure. This allowed Ralph Nader to write his famous book. In fact he used the '65 and later cars to condemn the swing axle early Corvairs!

My '67 with HD suspension, quick steering and Plus 1, 14 inch quality radial tires you still had to be prepared to quickly turn into the skid if driving aggressively in a tight turn. Frankly it was fun to anticipate what would happen and counter with steering before the car was out of shape.

We Corvair and old swing axle Porsche owners had a saying, "If you're going too fast into a turn, you're going to hit a tree so best to hit it with the rear rather than plow into it with the front!"

Last edited by JerryU; 05-27-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 PM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Default Johnny O shocks

Thanks for the tip. I have been looking for shock that is in the middle of soft and hard ride. Where are they available for purchase.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:05 PM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Default Z51 sway bar upgrade

Originally Posted by iclick
I think this is the way I will go with the sway bar upgrade especially since the front Z51 bar is not much bigger than the stock. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:22 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's Sweet 05
Thanks for the tip. I have been looking for shock that is in the middle of soft and hard ride. Where are they available for purchase.
Afepower.com produces and sells them and you can also get them elsewhere such as Summit.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 sway bars on Stingray model

Quick Reply: C7 sway bars on Stingray model