Sponsored by:

Transmission Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:56 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Just curious why you don't like letting it go into first at a stop?

And I would take it to the dealer about the body panel alignment or it is going to bug you the entire time you own the car.

Last edited by NSC5; 05-28-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Just curious why you don't like letting it go into first at a stop?

And I would take it to the dealer about the body panel alignment or it is going to bug you the entire time you own the car.
1st gear winds up too quickly for my taste. Especially when turning, I find myself searching for the paddle to shift mid-turn. Just a personal nit pick on my part. I prefer the A6 over the A8.

I plan on bringing it in to fix the alignment issue at some point. I bought the car from MacMulkin so I have to bring it in to my local dealer in AZ.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:17 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythird1
1st gear winds up too quickly for my taste. Especially when turning, I find myself searching for the paddle to shift mid-turn. Just a personal nit pick on my part. I prefer the A6 over the A8.

I plan on bringing it in to fix the alignment issue at some point. I bought the car from MacMulkin so I have to bring it in to my local dealer in AZ.
I know what you mean about having to shift quickly out of first gear however I have gotten into the habit of tapping the upshift paddle about as soon as the car starts moving unless I need to accelerate rapidly.

Some GM vehicles start in second gear when weather or snow mode is selected but I haven't checked to see if that is true of the C7. You might try it next time you are out as another potential way of avoiding the annoyance.

Hopefully you have a good local dealer and often body panel alignment is not highly invasive so it may be something that can easily be remedied. I also got mine from MacMulkin via museum delivery and I wish I had a local dealer like MacMulkin for my other vehicle purchases.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 369 Posts

It's a shame the A8 is ruining the reputation of this great car. I'm glad I bought the trouble free M7!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NSC5
I know what you mean about having to shift quickly out of first gear however I have gotten into the habit of tapping the upshift paddle about as soon as the car starts moving unless I need to accelerate rapidly.

Some GM vehicles start in second gear when weather or snow mode is selected but I haven't checked to see if that is true of the C7. You might try it next time you are out as another potential way of avoiding the annoyance.

Hopefully you have a good local dealer and often body panel alignment is not highly invasive so it may be something that can easily be remedied. I also got mine from MacMulkin via museum delivery and I wish I had a local dealer like MacMulkin for my other vehicle purchases.
Yeah, like I said, I find myself tapping it into 2nd gear when I stop at traffic lights. I'll try Weather mode and see what happens. However, I almost always drive in Sport mode. I have a good relationship with my local dealer's service department (not their sales department), they've serviced my 2007 C6, 2014 C7 and now my 2017 GS. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:00 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I sure would like to know what serial number they started with the revised parts since my 17 GS A8 was built in December, 2016.
I doubt if anyone outside the GM bubble knows, but I'll bet there are data kept on part numbers for every car that is manufactured. On Dec. 7, 2016 I initially took my 2015 to the dealer for a TC job and the invoice showed the TC and fluid part numbers, which at that time were 24280631 and 19353429 respectively. AFAIK that's the latest revision for both, so if your car was built in Dec. 2016 I would think there's a good chance you have them.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:11 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
GM has sold over 30k Vettes a year on average since the C7 was released. And we hear about a handful on the forum that have had issues, so "all" is a pretty inaccurate projection.
Yes but when you consider that GM has been making the A8 for years now and is in a lot of other vehicles there really is no excuse for the number of failures that we read about here. When you add up those that are not on this forum as well as the other vehicle forums that use the A8 the number is far from insignificant.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:16 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Yes but when you consider that GM has been making the A8 for years now and is in a lot of other vehicles there really is no excuse for the number of failures that we read about here. When you add up those that are not on this forum as well as the other vehicle forums that use the A8 the number is far from insignificant.
I agree, and I wasn't trying to trivialize it, I've only contradicted the ridiculous extreme posts that say all will detonate, or all are a mess, etc. e.g. the sky is falling posts.

That being said, I just bought a '17 with the A8, and <no jinx> it's been fine so far. The 2nd to 1st down shift is a little different, and I don't like the v4 AFM, but as I came from an M7, I'm thinking that I just need to get used to something new, and I don't think anything is broken.

Who knows, maybe in a few thousand miles i'll change my tune, but I hope that i don't have to.

I have a lot of sympathy and empathy for those going through A8 issues, please don't get me wrong there.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:32 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Yeah? Tell it to those of us that had their A8 replaced with 100 miles on the clock. Compare it to the A6 who problems were VERY rarely reported on this forum. Yeah, sure, GM fan boys keep drinking the Kool-Aid that the A8 problems are overstated.

Exactly. Can you imagine all those A8 owners who have never heard of this Forum driving grenading A8s? What junk! With the miles will come more failures. GM should be ashamed of themselves. Buy your extended warranties.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:26 AM
LuCkYSe7eN11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally picked up the car and no issues. It's unbelievable how messed up my old transmission was. Now I can enjoy some of these roads here in Germany!!
The following users liked this post:
Thunder22 (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 07:51 AM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

Ok, Ok, but did anyone open this thread expecting that an M7 was being replaced? I had heart surgery a few years ago that took 5 hours and my heart was stopped for 3 hours. My surgeon told me before the procedure that there was a 97% chance of success. What I heard was that I had a 3% chance of dying on the table. I feel somewhat the same about my A8. Obviously, I made it but then again I now have 10k miles on my C7.

Don't get me wrong, I wake up everyday enjoying life and my C7 is a part of that. I too would feel better if they could finally get a handle on this before the C8 arrives. It would certainly make me more likely to want to purchase the next generation offering.
The following users liked this post:
tbasco 6 (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 08:52 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

I sure would like to know what serial number they started with the revised parts since my 17 GS A8 was built in December, 2016.

To be honest, I'd rather have my A6 back. I'm not crazy about the A8. It doesn't shift smoothly when cold. I hate the fact that it drops down to 1st gear when you stop. I find myself having to click into 2nd gear before I take off from a light and I have a tendency to roll through stop signs so it won't go into 1st. I've yet to experience the dreaded V4 shudder and I do drive in Drive mode often (mainly because of the 1st gear issue). I've been told that 17's produced in late 2016 have the new parts. I sure hope so.

PS...on a different topic I posted when I first got my GS, I completed the GM email survey the other day and GM called me Friday to discuss my comments about the A8 and the misaligned rear bumper issue. They encouraged me to take it back to the dealer and have it fixed. I'm still on the fence because I don't want the dealer ripping the back end off to make the adjustment. Has anyone else had an alignment issue and had it adjusted? Here are a few pics.

I would at minimum get this documented with the Dealer. If you do not get it on record with them down the road if you decide to fix it there might be a lot of not so happy discussions.
Sitting that aside, I would get it fixed. That is not right and so obvious in a sell position a potential new buyer might suspect other things.
Good Luck.
VH
Old 05-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VH Vette
I would at minimum get this documented with the Dealer. If you do not get it on record with them down the road if you decide to fix it there might be a lot of not so happy discussions.
Sitting that aside, I would get it fixed. That is not right and so obvious in a sell position a potential new buyer might suspect other things.
Good Luck.
VH
I have documented it with the dealer. I did it at my 500 mile oil change. And I agree, it could pose a problem on resale. I plan to have them fix it soon. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Transmission Replaced