Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by MRCOUPE5
2016 Z51 Long Beach Red .. Had my Vette into Criswell Corvette in Maryland.
Had the 3 tranny flush . Okay for now . Had them check the brakes for wabble.
They replaced the front rotors .. Had them check a small crack upper right
about 3inches in the right. corner of the front windshield .. Determined it was a
inner stress crack , no rock chip and will replace it when I call for an appointment.
All of these covered under warrantee . Have 18 months left on bumper to bumper .
I am mentoring the A8 problem if the V4 vibration persists the Torque Converter will be replaced .. . .
At least your items are being taken care of under warranty. Hopefully after your 3/36 is over, all of your problems will be taken care of and you will have many, many problem free miles of driving.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:39 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I have the same problem. A very reputable dealer told me GM doesn't warranty glass in any way. I was upset because it is only cracked on the inside. Clearly it wasn't from a rock.

Good to know you guys have been able to.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:55 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
I have the same problem. A very reputable dealer told me GM doesn't warranty glass in any way. I was upset because it is only cracked on the inside. Clearly it wasn't from a rock.

Good to know you guys have been able to.
Total BS. Go to another dealer, they'll cover it. I went to two different dealerships and they both agreed that it would be covered.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:22 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboland
Total BS. Go to another dealer, they'll cover it. I went to two different dealerships and they both agreed that it would be covered.
Go to another dealer, it is a known problem and most dealers are replacing the windshields under warranty if you are still in the 3/36.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:55 PM
GDS8912
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So i took my car in today to have them look at my cracked windshield. Cracked in the driver corner, runs across the top in the factory tint to the middle of the windshield then down from the corner about 3 inches to the A pillar. Service manger said definitely not from a rock chip and that it is in the glass. I asked if they would replace it to which he advised they had to write it up and send to their regional person , she would determine if they would buy the windshield. Feeling okay at this point, right? Wrong he then followed with, had one identical to yours two weeks ago and she denied it. Said GM has told her that they believe the windshields are cracking from people grabbing the A pillar when getting in the car and it is stressing the corner! WTH, i have never grabbed the A pillar to get in or out of the car, I do the butt first and spin to get in the car (insert your jokes here). I showed them this thread with pictures and they said yeah its a problem but the regional has the final say!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:05 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Those of you with obvious stress cracks and are being denied should take it up the chain.

Continue making noise there and here until you are taken care of properly.

(grabbing the A pillar as an excuse is BS, btw.) If this is the reason that so many people had cracks, then something seriously is wrong with the structure of the car. Which I don't believe is true; something else is happening.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:28 AM
JohnnyDee
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

I had a scratch not a crack in mine and they replaced it.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:26 PM
GDS8912
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GDS8912
So i took my car in today to have them look at my cracked windshield. Cracked in the driver corner, runs across the top in the factory tint to the middle of the windshield then down from the corner about 3 inches to the A pillar. Service manger said definitely not from a rock chip and that it is in the glass. I asked if they would replace it to which he advised they had to write it up and send to their regional person , she would determine if they would buy the windshield. Feeling okay at this point, right? Wrong he then followed with, had one identical to yours two weeks ago and she denied it. Said GM has told her that they believe the windshields are cracking from people grabbing the A pillar when getting in the car and it is stressing the corner! WTH, i have never grabbed the A pillar to get in or out of the car, I do the butt first and spin to get in the car (insert your jokes here). I showed them this thread with pictures and they said yeah its a problem but the regional has the final say!
UPDATE* After waiting 3 weeks for a response from the Regional Rep regarding my windshield (she would not respond to phone calls or emails from the dealership) the service manger told me to call GM customer service to open a case. I called them and they immediately opened a case. I was told I would have an answer within 2 days from a Senior Representative. I actually had a response within 1 day and approval was given to warranty my windshield. GM Customer Service was incredibly fast and very responsive to my problem. So long story short stay after it if your windshield is cracked from reasons other than impact. Don't know if it helps but I would make my repair paperwork available to show your dealership for anyone who has been denied warranty.
The following users liked this post:
musicwagon (07-09-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 07:29 PM
lude1247
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroJim
While cleaning my car today (16 vert) I noticed what appears to be hairline crack about 2" around in the extreme left hand upper corner.. Its almost undectable because of the black border surrounding the glass.

Anyway it looks like a stress crack not a rock chip, but in any event it needs to be replaced. Can anyone enlighten me that has had to go through a windshield replacement?
Should I take to the dealer for replacement?
How will it affect the hud
How long should it take
I'm of the strong opinion that it should be replaced with OEM glass
I have Allstate insurance and at this time I don't know what their policy on glass replacement is.
I have had the exact same issue today with my 2016 Z51 convertible. Only my stress crack was on the passenger side same location. I went to the dealer first, they blew smoke and said it was a stone strike.. so I covered it with my insurance with Safelite perfect install, clear HUD 1.5 hours, very satisfied. Other members reflect the same issues.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Take it to the dealer. You should still be covered under warranty. Only get a GM windshield, not an aftermarket. Thanks jjj
Old 04-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Rd16rr
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

i had same issue on 2015 Z06 - dealer took 2 or 3 cell phone pics (8am), by noon he called with warranty approval - dealer ordered the windshield, SafeLite did the install

"Thank You Mr. GoodWrench" !!

just as an after thought....the crack may get initiated by your floor jack, or someone lifting the car from the underside in an "unapproved" lift point

Last edited by Rd16rr; 04-12-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:50 AM
CAB6
Burning Brakes

Received 1,572 Likes on 404 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 Corvette of the Year - Unmodified
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by lude1247
I have had the exact same issue today with my 2016 Z51 convertible. Only my stress crack was on the passenger side same location. I went to the dealer first, they blew smoke and said it was a stone strike.. so I covered it with my insurance with Safelite perfect install, clear HUD 1.5 hours, very satisfied. Other members reflect the same issues.

I got the dreaded crack on my 2016 vert passenger side as well. Took it to the dealer, they took a few pics and made some calls. 10 minutes later they had the ok to replace from from GM. Took a few hours to replace, they also reprogramed the trunk latch and transmission per TSB. Amazing how much better and smoother the car shifts. Feels quicker to. Thanks GM

Last edited by CAB6; 04-12-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement