Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 02:55 PM
Z51 John
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Seafoam?

Did a search couldn't find anything.

Would using the spray in foam not the gas tank version help remove the carbon from the intake valve on the GDI?

Also thinking about using it on my 2015 tundra with GDI. Dont want to void the warrenty but would like to keep this issue under control.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:55 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I've used seafoam on my old Volvo 5 cylnder. No noticeable impact. What I would suggest is going for a proper decarbonization where the fuel intake is hooked in directly to.. can't remember the name of the machine. A google quest may provide the name. There are a couple. The purpose built decarbonizer rigs actually give dramatic cleaning in the space of a half hour. The trick is finding a shop which has one.

Maintenance is as easy as top tier / detergent gasoline.

Last edited by tcinla; 05-29-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Z51 John
Racer

I dont think that system will work with the new GDI system. The fuel doesn't wash the valves like the previous setup.

Last edited by Z51 John; 05-29-2017 at 04:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 05:36 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51 John
I dont think that system will work with the new GDI system. The fuel doesn't wash the valves like the previous setup.
Really only one way pull the intake then make sure one set of valves are closed then you have a few diff ways of cleaning the back side of the valves. Walnut's, spray & a drill with a tool on the end of it made to do the job. Then blow it out really good with air. Have to turn the engine over to get each hole valves close so the stuff doesn't go down into the top of the pistons.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

I've heard doing WOT every now and keeps the carbon out.
The following users liked this post:
vbdenny (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Z51 John
Racer

Originally Posted by Eff A Ford
I've heard doing WOT every now and keeps the carbon out.

If that's true then i have nothing to worry about on any of my vehicle's.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:53 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had great luck with sea foam but I have only used it on high mileage cars that had been neglected. I did the whole system including adding to oil, sucking through vacuume line, and adding to fuel. The Sebring I did had tons of carbon build up on valves, sludge on the entire valve train and ran like crap. After going through the process it ran great valve train was clean, sludge gone and the scope showed most of the carbon build up gone.

My question is why do you think you have an issue have you used a bore scope????
Old 05-29-2017, 08:04 PM
NinjamanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 102 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

The best way to mitigate oil accumulating on your intake valves is to use a oil/air separator and catch can. Note I said "mitigate" not eliminate. After 20k miles, it will be best to do a visual inspection of the intake valves and if they look less than optimal, mechanically remove the accumulation and you'll be good to go. If you want to go the extra mile, use some Seafoam after you mechanically clean the valves.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:11 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
I've used seafoam on my old Volvo 5 cylnder. No noticeable impact. What I would suggest is going for a proper decarbonization where the fuel intake is hooked in directly to.. can't remember the name of the machine. A google quest may provide the name. There are a couple. The purpose built decarbonizer rigs actually give dramatic cleaning in the space of a half hour. The trick is finding a shop which has one.

Maintenance is as easy as top tier / detergent gasoline.
No it isn't, not on DI engine , gas never touches back side of valves.
Top tier is a marketing ploy only anyway.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:16 PM
Z51 John
Racer

Originally Posted by FD2BLK
I have had great luck with sea foam but I have only used it on high mileage cars that had been neglected. I did the whole system including adding to oil, sucking through vacuume line, and adding to fuel. The Sebring I did had tons of carbon build up on valves, sludge on the entire valve train and ran like crap. After going through the process it ran great valve train was clean, sludge gone and the scope showed most of the carbon build up gone.

My question is why do you think you have an issue have you used a bore scope????
Looking to do it as a preventative measure. Not to let carbon build up.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:37 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
No it isn't, not on DI engine , gas never touches back side of valves.
NO! Top Tier is not a marketing ploy. That is completely in error, and spreading that unsupported opinion is just plain ignorant.
The following 2 users liked this post by fnbrowning:
Foosh (05-30-2017), yeller z06 (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 02:46 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51 John

Only air and PCV "stuff" (that causes oil to bake onto the hot intake valves) goes through the manifold and past the back of the intake valves. Nothing added to gasoline, which only goes into the combustion chamber, helps the back of the valves from what is called "coking."
Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Top Tier is NOT a marketing ploy! Gas that meets the criteria must have a minimum amount of cleaning additive, that helps keep the injectors clean and to some degree combustion chamber carbon build-up. It also helps keep sulphur in gas from fowling the fuel level sensor.

Per the Owner's Manual, for the times I don't use Top Tier and to get some extra help in preventing the sulphur in gasoline from fouling the fuel sensor I use the GM equivalent of Seafoam at every oil change. (Believe the GM product is Techron relabeled, which is similar or the same as Seafoam.) It helps desolve sulphur deposits.

There have been forum posts where a dealer used several containers of the GM product to solve the fuel sensor issue. Other posts where they replaced the sensor. That requires removing the two gas tanks and crossover pipe, which requires dropping the drivetrain! That poster was horrified to see all this "stuff" on the dealers shop floor! If past warranty, very expensive! One container per oil change provides some preventative insurance!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-30-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:12 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Seafoam = Snake oil. Only benefit it to lighten your wallet. Read the MSDS info as to the ingredients.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Seafoam = Snake oil. Only benefit it to lighten your wallet. Read the MSDS info as to the ingredients.
Have read the SDS sheets (they have dropped the M) for Techron and GM gasoline additive. They are the same. Techron is a patented product that is owned by Chevron and is the key ingredient in Top Tier gasoline of all brands. IMO (and that of most car companies) it's not snake oil!

Thought Seafoam was the same. I pay a bit more and by the GM product but think I will switch to cheaper Techron.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-30-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:19 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I've read the MSDS for the product, and there is nothing in it that came from the ocean, be it seaweed or any kind of foam.

The stuff works pretty well for some things, but I don't know if it will reduce carbon buildup on the valves in a DI engine. Otherwise, you'd think all of the manufacturers would recommend it, right?
Old 05-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Michael Hunter
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Additives

I'm not a firm believer in additives but working as a technician for 30 plus years Techron, SeaFoam, & Rislone work wonders when decarbonizing the upper end. Also water injection works just like Steam Cleaning parts. Have you ever seen an engine taken apart after a blown head gasket? The cylinder that had the bad gasket the parts piston and valves will be spotless. Some additives work but I feel the same if it was that good why doesn't the factories install and recommend them.
Originally Posted by yeller z06
I've read the MSDS for the product, and there is nothing in it that came from the ocean, be it seaweed or any kind of foam.

The stuff works pretty well for some things, but I don't know if it will reduce carbon buildup on the valves in a DI engine. Otherwise, you'd think all of the manufacturers would recommend it, right?
Old 05-30-2017, 11:38 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by yeller z06

It can't do anything for "coking" since no gasoline flows over the back of the valves.

Early on Ferrari indicated they might use a flush system through the intake annually or periodically. As I recall it was too little too late. Once the carbon bakes on only mechanical means can get it off.

Get notified of new replies

To Seafoam?

Old 05-30-2017, 11:44 AM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The CRC intake cleaner has a C6 on the can lol.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:12 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by Michael Hunter
Also water injection works just like Steam Cleaning parts. Have you ever seen an engine taken apart after a blown head gasket? The cylinder that had the bad gasket the parts piston and valves will be spotless...

Yup

Regards
Chip

Old 05-30-2017, 12:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by druz06
The CRC intake cleaner has a C6 on the can lol.
But the C6 has port injection, gasoline spraying the back of the intake valves continually.

Assuming you're using Top Tier should be no "coking." Not sure if you used none Top Tier you'd have any!

Quick Reply: Seafoam?