Ok. Have a great evening😊
Old 08-04-2017, 10:17 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by stevettec7
Ok. Have a great evening��
Thanks and enjoy your newly repaired transmission! I use the Range module with my 2016 Z06 and the A8 transmission has been flawless as has been the rest of the car.

The C7 can definitely tempt you to have too much fun if there is such a thing

Last edited by NSC5; 08-04-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Back when mine started to shudder in V4 mode, I had the tech ride along with me to show him the condition. You're right, it is easiest to reproduce with cruise on and then bump the speed +1 or 2 mph. That would make it shake every time. Before we made it back to the dealership, he said "Yep, your torque converter is bad."

Perhaps you can demonstrate your issue to them as well?
I'll be back to do that next Tuesday.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:30 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Received 759 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
I'll be back to do that next Tuesday.

Good luck!!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 AM
ronkellogg
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 2016 Z06 update

my 2016 Z06 7500 miles has shutter and vibration that get worse with speed. Car is at dealer for third time. Tomorrow will be 2 week this time 1 week each for the first 2 times. Transmission has had the triple flush and 4 wheel and 2 tires have been replaced. I think the original wheels are now back on. Dealer has vibration sensors on car and is working with GM.
I've been working with customer care for 3 weeks.
Monday 8/7 I sent Mary Barra email asking for help. Today Wed 8/9 received call from Chevrolet Executive Office with a new case # that they
would check into the problem. 3 trips to dealer for a total of 28 days so far.
The following users liked this post:
Preston7 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 10:43 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Ron,

With the case # from the exec office you will get more responsive service.

With your symptoms it does NOT sound like the typical A8 torque converter issue, especially since these are extremely rare with the Z06 since it hardly ever goes into V4 mode even if you don't use manual mode or a Range module.

Does the vibration persist with the transmission in neutral and the vehicle coasting?

Since it apparently wasn't wheels or tires it could easily be an axle shaft, differential, torque tube/shaft, etc.

Good luck on a speedy and proper resolution!
Old 08-09-2017, 03:54 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The Z06 is back in the shop for the fourth time with A8 transmission issues. Had all the fun stuff completed- transmission relearning twice; stator assembly replaced; triple flush and now currently in for complete transmission replacement as soon as GM can get one to the dealer. Current ETA unknown.

Always the same issue, delay going into first from park after sitting and then a severe lurch forward when first gear does engage along with a hard second to first downshift. Always fun.

UPDATE

Z06 is back in the garage. The dealership received the transmission one week after order was placed. Transmission and new TC installed after 1 1/2 days and all appears well however I'll know more after I drive it and let it sit a day or two and start with a cold tranny. So far all shifts are smooth with no lurch or heavy downshift.

Last edited by time2run; 08-15-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:39 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Originally Posted by time2run
The Z06 is back in the shop for the fourth time with A8 transmission issues. Had all the fun stuff completed- transmission relearning twice; stator assembly replaced; triple flush and now currently in for complete transmission replacement as soon as GM can get one to the dealer. Current ETA unknown.

Always the same issue, delay going into first from park after sitting and then a severe lurch forward when first gear does engage along with a hard second to first downshift. Always fun.
Just in case you missed it in my earlier post, may I suggest you ask your dealer where the new transmission is coming from AND does it contain the new valve-body that GM is making now? (see part number in the work order above.) I have had mine fail the same way; even with the brand new "redesigned" transmission. The last engineer my tech spoke with told him he was sending the new valve-body and NOT to use any part that may be readily available. So far, mine has been perfect. Hoping it stays that way!
time2run (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Man am I glad I passed on a trade involving my GS and cash for a 15 Z06, I would be totally bummed
Best of luck to you
NSF
Old 08-09-2017, 07:24 PM
bsterling9
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

This question is for you and all members who have had major transmission work done under warranty: While your Vette is in their shop for a week or so, do they give you a loaner car or at least reimburse a rental fee or does that vary from dealer to dealer? I am the prospective buyer of a new GS, so I am trying to get as much info as possible before I buy one with an A8.It would be nice to hear feedback about this from others.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bsterling9
This question is for you and all members who have had major transmission work done under warranty: While your Vette is in their shop for a week or so, do they give you a loaner car or at least reimburse a rental fee or does that vary from dealer to dealer? I am the prospective buyer of a new GS, so I am trying to get as much info as possible before I buy one with an A8.It would be nice to hear feedback about this from others.
The dealer that did the repair was not the dealer that I bought from and they did not offer a loaner or rental but after being in the shop for over 7 weeks to get the trans replaced and me threatening GM with a lemon law suit GM did make cash settlement for loss of use.
bsterling9 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 08:54 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

I was given a loaner for the nearly 2 weeks it took to re-work my transmission.
bsterling9 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 03:12 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

We got rental for one week, no charge to us. Dealer got reimbursed by GM - warranty work for TC failure on our 2015 Z51 A8.
Heidi
Save the Wave
bsterling9 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:06 AM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

It took 4 weeks to receive and replace the stator assembly and the dealer let me use a free loaner Cadillac during the repair. This transmission repair project is by a different dealer but they did offer a loaner if I needed one. No complaints at all on this item.
bsterling9 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:08 AM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Just in case you missed it in my earlier post, may I suggest you ask your dealer where the new transmission is coming from AND does it contain the new valve-body that GM is making now? (see part number in the work order above.) I have had mine fail the same way; even with the brand new "redesigned" transmission. The last engineer my tech spoke with told him he was sending the new valve-body and NOT to use any part that may be readily available. So far, mine has been perfect. Hoping it stays that way!
Thanks for the tip. I did ask if the replacement included a new TC and he said yes so I'll ask about the valve body as well.

Last edited by time2run; 08-10-2017 at 08:08 AM.
stevettec7 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 04:09 PM
hanks
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2016 Stingray A8 TC Being Replaced

Well my 2016 Stingray (September 2015 Build) is having the TC replaced. 1 week worth of diagnosis and sending info to the Chevy mother ship and the prognosis is to replace the TC which will happen next week. I had a bad shudder starting at around 40 MPH when going from 8 cyl to 4 cyl and then then the rumble strip thuds when changing from overdrive to drive at cruising speeds (50-80) on the highway and when changing gears on the highway.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:17 PM
CWalker67
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hanks
Well my 2016 Stingray (September 2015 Build) is having the TC replaced.
How many miles on it when it started?

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 08-11-2017, 04:27 PM
hanks
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CWalker67
How many miles on it when it started?
Around 16000 is when it really started getting bad.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:09 PM
CWalker67
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hanks
Around 16000 is when it really started getting bad.
Thanks. Seems like most are around 7-10, from what I've been reading. Just seeing if there's a pattern.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:04 PM
motorman1857
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A8 transmission problems

Originally Posted by CWalker67
Thanks. Seems like most are around 7-10, from what I've been reading. Just seeing if there's a pattern.
My A8 problems started at only 3500 miles. I didn't trust my dealer to actually fix the problem and leaving it with those clowns for weeks to sit outside and be covered with bird crap was out of the question. I got rid of it. Problem solved for good.
CWalker67 (08-11-2017)

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking