Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission failure tracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:54 AM
Prray
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 183 Posts

Nice job!!! I will be bringing my 2017 Stingray in, felt the shudder this week end at low speed. Car has 2,500 miles on it, Only did it once but will have the dealer check it. Don't want any more issues, already had the steering gear replaced for loss of power steering.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:32 PM
ddelallata
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Prray
Nice job!!! I will be bringing my 2017 Stingray in, felt the shudder this week end at low speed. Car has 2,500 miles on it, Only did it once but will have the dealer check it. Don't want any more issues, already had the steering gear replaced for loss of power steering.
What is your car's build date?
Reason I ask is because cars made after January 2017 should have the newest torque converter and there are already a few here with the newest version and confirmed problems with shudder .
Old 06-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Prray
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Build Date

Originally Posted by ddelallata
What is your car's build date?
Reason I ask is because cars made after January 2017 should have the newest torque converter and there are already a few here with the newest version and confirmed problems with shudder .
The build date is 8/16
Old 06-21-2017, 12:09 AM
ddelallata
Racer

Originally Posted by Prray
The build date is 8/16
Same as mine.
I had the triple-flush procedure done and it remedied the problem.
Keep us updated.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:43 AM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Received 553 Likes on 222 Posts

Well I didn't even make it a month into being a Corvette owner...

Seems like I have symptoms of both the belt tensioner issue (1200-1500rpm rattle in v4) and also the torque converter issue (rumble strip shudder, feels like a shot clutch or detonated drive u-joints). I also get the crazy lurch sometimes when going from Park to Drive, where it feels like somebody rear-ended you.

I just bought this 2015 with 9,000mi on it. The problem wasn't really apparent the first couple of weeks, but its definitely gotten a lot worse really fast. I have a feeling this is probably why the previous owner dumped it.

We'll see what the dealer does, but the honeymoon phase is definitely over with this thing.

Last edited by rogue3standingby; 06-22-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:00 AM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Shop just called me back, torque converter is confirmed shot. Transmission has to be dropped, and they are checking it for damage. No word on whether there's actually a problem with the belt tensioner.

0/10 would not buy again.
The following users liked this post:
speedz06 (03-19-2022)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rogue3standingby
Shop just called me back, torque converter is confirmed shot. Transmission has to be dropped, and they are checking it for damage. No word on whether there's actually a problem with the belt tensioner.

0/10 would not buy again.
At least they confirmed, that's a start!

Have them pull the service history on the vehicle, see if the previous owner had them look at anything similar.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:16 AM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Originally Posted by mountainears
At least they confirmed, that's a start!

Have them pull the service history on the vehicle, see if the previous owner had them look at anything similar.
Yeah, was just talked to them about it. I've already started the talks about unwinding this deal, or at least trading me back for my old car with minimal "bath taking".
Old 06-22-2017, 11:24 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Added two new columns to the spreadsheet. Last bits of the VIN and the build date for the cars. If you can update that info that would be good...
Old 06-22-2017, 11:30 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Yeah, was just talked to them about it. I've already started the talks about unwinding this deal, or at least trading me back for my old car with minimal "bath taking".
If you like the car otherwise, getting these things fixed may be all that you need to worry about :-) Seems like that people who have had the problem, once it was fixed with the newer TC they've been fine...

Maybe see if they can throw in an extended warranty :-)

Your call of course :-)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:45 AM
rogue3standingby
Pro

If you like the car otherwise, getting these things fixed may be all that you need to worry about :-) Seems like that people who have had the problem, once it was fixed with the newer TC they've been fine...

Maybe see if they can throw in an extended warranty :-)

Your call of course :-)
I guess it depends. Is it true then that the AFM lugging all the time is causing the wear to the torque converter? If that's true, that means there's no way its a viable vehicle to keep long-term, because you can't disable the AFM without flashing or running a kludgey plug-in that drains the battery.

But it definitely struggles bad when its in v4 mode and try to accelerate at all. Just reading on these forums, I can't seem to figure out where the belt tensioner rattle begins, and the torque converter failure ends.

Last edited by rogue3standingby; 06-22-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:30 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Well, that is one of the assumptions of what is going on, that's what people on the forums like to say. I haven't seen anyone confirm it, including GM. If you look at the stats from the sheet, there are a small number of them reported in our Forum population (in my opinion) and those that do have it, it looks like most are fixed with the TC fix (flush and/or replace).

So one could conclude that WHATEVER is causing it, the problem is potentially resolved with newer parts/procedures.

I'm trying to be optimistic of course (I have an A8) but I also have an extended warranty that I wish I bought later but thats water under the bridge :-)

If they want / can get you out of the deal and make you completely whole, that gives you options of course. But if it's going to cost you in any way I would try to turn things in your favor by getting an extended warranty from them and make sure they get the latest TC and see how things go.

Even with making you completely whole, I may consider the extended warranty and seeing how the fixes go first before making the decision.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:24 PM
rogue3standingby
Pro

and those that do have it, it looks like most are fixed with the TC fix (flush and/or replace).

So one could conclude that WHATEVER is causing it, the problem is potentially resolved with newer parts/procedures.
I wonder though, how many of those people have put enough miles on the car to really see if it'll hold. If the first failure happens around that 10k mark, we wouldn't expect to see another failure until after the 20k mark. The cars seem fine after the TC replacement, but then again they seemed fine when they were new too. I've seen a couple posts of people where people mentioned shuddering even with the newer TC.

I guess my problem is, if the cause is the AFM lugging, and the result is damage to the TC... How is replacing the TC ever going to be a permanent fix if you don't address the root cause?

Not trying to be a dick about it or anything, its just been pretty disheartening to have my dream car melt down with paper tags still attached. Especially seeing so many posts here about various problems.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:36 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Not sure about the first failure happening around 10k? Only have mileage on the reporting from about 30 people (might be some dupes in there and it's a small sampling). Of the 30, 17 have had failures at 7,000 miles or less.

Point being, not sure there's enough real scientific data to really know. GM probably has it though :-)

The TC replacement could be a fix if they made the replacement to where it can handle the shudder. Of course, that assumes it is the cause, but if you know it is happening from something and you reinforce it to handle that load then the problem goes away.

And no, don't think you're a dick, and I'm not trying to sway you. You are in a real crappy situation. I don't know what the options are in Texas on getting the deal reversed. My point was more that if you have to eat money on swapping back, you may want to consider other angles of this.

People definitely get really swayed on this forum by the negative stuff, people don't always publish the good stuff. But do keep in mind that for 2016's the charts show only 14 failures. Add up the rest across all years and you get 69. Throw in some more across the forums that maybe didn't see the previous poll or other attempts, let's go large, maybe 200.

Now, that's just the forums and not everyone maybe knows what to look for, but one could argue that this is a small number of failures across 31,440 A8's that were delivered in 2016 alone.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:58 PM
rogue3standingby
Pro

The TC replacement could be a fix if they made the replacement to where it can handle the shudder. Of course, that assumes it is the cause, but if you know it is happening from something and you reinforce it to handle that load then the problem goes away.
It just boggles my mind that the motor can be THAT rough, and just beefing up the other downstream components is the "fix". I'm not totally convinced that the TC is my entire problem, considering the really loud rattling sound that comes from right in front of the firewall. That's why I was thinking it was that belt tensioner thing at first.

At the end of the day, its all conjecture until the car comes back and we see what it does.

People definitely get really swayed on this forum by the negative stuff, people don't always publish the good stuff.
Oh yeah, I totally understand the confirmation bias on forums. I'm a Ducati guy also, which have a "reputation" for reliability issues also, although its probably a minority of folks having problems. But at the end of the day, this car's engine is on a workbench right now, and I haven't even put 800mi on it.

The funny part is, I work in Toyota's supply chain.

Last edited by rogue3standingby; 06-22-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Received 759 Likes on 401 Posts

My 2015 Z51 has had the following replaced in order for all known issues:

1. Torque converter (for rpm shudder)
2. Transmission control module (for hard engagement after sitting)
3. New part no. transmission and torque converter. 2 1/2 months ago. (for hard engagement after sitting)

Well, that old nasty lurching action when putting it in gear after sitting for an extended period of time is back!&@#%

I think I might make some serious noise with GM now.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Just looked at revised sheet and cannot find the cars reported to have had failures, only "no failures"; how do I access these?
Heidi
Save the Wave

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 AM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Got the call and just picked my car up after torque converter replacement. GoPro was recording before I started the car to leave the dealership. Didn't get 6min into the video before the V4-to-v8 rattle was going nuts again, turned around and brought it back. They won't have time to do anything with it today (friday), so I'm going to keep it over the weekend and bring it back Monday.

It's too bad, I was hoping it would at least be in passable condition to trade it this weekend...
Old 06-23-2017, 11:00 AM
ddelallata
Racer

Got the call and just picked my car up after torque converter replacement. GoPro was recording before I started the car to leave the dealership. Didn't get 6min into the video before the V4-to-v8 rattle was going nuts again, turned around and brought it back. They won't have time to do anything with it today (friday), so I'm going to keep it over the weekend and bring it back Monday.

It's too bad, I was hoping it would at least be in passable condition to trade it this weekend...
your car's torque converter was replaced in 1 day or did they simply do the triple-flush procedure?
Old 06-23-2017, 11:02 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Heidemarie
Just looked at revised sheet and cannot find the cars reported to have had failures, only "no failures"; how do I access these?
Heidi
Save the Wave
Try it again. The list was in a filtered view (the headings for each item have a little dashed arrow looking thing on them, you can click on those to sort and filter).
The following users liked this post:
Heidemarie (06-23-2017)

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking