Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission failure tracking

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 10:59 AM
kensredvette2
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

A few details are dribbling out about the new TSB/fluid. I saw a GM letter describing the introduction of the TSB (but not the actual TSB) which was posted on one of the camaro forums.
I found this detail, ummm,, frustrating because of the lack of clarity.....
The old fluid is ,,,, Mobil 1 LV ATF HP
The new fluid is ...Mobil 1 LV ATF HP

To distinguish between the two, look for some kind of 'blue banner' on the bottle label and a Dexron license number J-62120 somewhere in very fine print on the back of the bottle.
That sure makes it clear to each and all which is the old and new!!!!! (not!)

(Mobil 1 LV ATF HP fluid I purchased in Oct 2018 has license number J-60193)

Get in line quick because new fluid is 'limited' to only 120 qts/week/dealer during the introduction phase.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:03 AM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by kensredvette2
A few details are dribbling out about the new TSB/fluid. I saw a GM letter describing the introduction of the TSB (but not the actual TSB) which was posted on one of the camaro forums.
I found this detail, ummm,, frustrating because of the lack of clarity.....
The old fluid is ,,,, Mobil 1 LV ATF HP
The new fluid is ...Mobil 1 LV ATF HP

To distinguish between the two, look for some kind of 'blue banner' on the bottle label and a Dexron license number J-62120 somewhere in very fine print on the back of the bottle.
That sure makes it clear to each and all which is the old and new!!!!! (not!)

(Mobil 1 LV ATF HP fluid I purchased in Oct 2018 has license number J-60193)

Get in line quick because new fluid is 'limited' to only 120 qts/week/dealer during the introduction phase.
I found this banter on the DealersEdge site. The noteworthy comment is below. The entire conversation is at: https://forums.dealersedge.com/viewt...11352&start=10

Re: DEXRON HP

The info is all in December's Emerging Issues in Center of Learning, course 10218.12V. Quote and bolded bits from the transcript below:

Due to the availability of the new Mobil 1 HP fluid and required tool kit, the procedure will be rolled out regionally starting in the Southeast and South-Central regions due to the frequency of TCC shudder. This concern is related to moisture. The current HP fluid has a greater tendency to be hygroscopic – or water absorbing. It also tends to hold that moisture even when the fluid heats up. As the moisture content in the fluid increases, the tendency to have TCC shudder increases. Selected dealers received a Global Connect Message sent to the attention of the Service Manager the week of December 3 advising them of the new service procedure, tool shipment and fluid availability. The Global Connect message includes a PDF copy of the service procedure. It is anticipated that the Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP and required tool kit will be available to all dealers by March 2019.

Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP will only be available through your local GM Oil Distributor. The new oil formulation will initially be available in 55-gallon drums. Drums will cease production in January 2019 and will change to quart bottles.

The quart bottle will not have a GM part number on the bottle. The bottle however has been updated. The back ground of the bottle where it states “Synthetic LV ATF HP” has changed from black to blue. (show bottles) The license number on the back of the bottle has changed to J-62120. The six pack packaging has been changed from black script on the white box to blue script on the white box.

Dexron HP Fluid, part number 19417904 for a 55 gallon drum or 19417577 for quart bottles.

Last edited by javenius; 01-23-2019 at 08:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by javenius:
dacbr131 (01-22-2019), Gearhead Jim (01-19-2019), kensredvette2 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 01:24 PM
AZ_3LT
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you describe for me what the shuddering feels and/or sounds like? Does it occur under certain conditions such as speed, gear, rpm, temperature, etc?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:52 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ_3LT
Can you describe for me what the shuddering feels and/or sounds like? Does it occur under certain conditions such as speed, gear, rpm, temperature, etc?
It is quite noticeable. It feels as if somebody has laid 20 1x1s in the road w a 20 in spacing across your path.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:25 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Feels like you are driving over rumble strips. Usually occurs at constant speed between 25 and 80 mph.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:35 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Does the shudder just feel bad or does it also effect the A8 performance and shifting ability?
It feels like you are driving over rumble strips but doesn't seem to effect shifting or anything else. If you disable the AFM (4 cylinder mode) with a range device or a tune the transmission seems fine with no shudder.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:18 PM
B-17/B-25 CC
Burning Brakes

Received 513 Likes on 251 Posts

as posted above, feels like driving over the dots separating the lanes. Once it starts it will continually do it. If you pull the shifter into M (Manual) it should stop-mine did. Had the flush about 4 months ago-so far do good, but have only gone o one toad trip since.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:26 PM
slvdot2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean by the "Range unit" plugged in? And what gives you confidence that your torque converter didn't beat its longevity down?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:38 PM
slvdot2
5th Gear

Yes, at first it feels like your running over a rough road, when it gets worse it will shake the steering wheel and feel like you just lost 4 of the 8 cylinders. Also check for the problem by setting your cruise control, say on 60, and watch the tach, if the problem is getting ready to happen you'll see the tach drop from 1-2 hundred rpm and then back. example: cruise is set at 1500rpm....it will drop 1 to 2 hundred rpm and back up to 1500rpm with no noticeable feed back from engine or you, but it will be continuous. I thought it was cruise control, its not! Thats the torque converter hunting.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:31 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

So this thread has just killed my chances on buying a used C7 A8. Is the problem still in the 2019 model?
The following users liked this post:
speed4tu (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:20 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by rckt
So this thread has just killed my chances on buying a used C7 A8. Is the problem still in the 2019 model?
Thats what I'm wondering with the 19's. I was gonna trade my 16 Z51 A8 in on a 19 Z06 but the constant issues I've had with mine have left a bad taste. Considering a different brand now unless I hear something drastic has been done.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:34 AM
Rockstar_Andy
Cruising

I've had this issue and it's becoming very annoying.

I've had it in now for the 4th time at my dealership, dropped it off this morning. In December they told me in January they have a new PPD for the "torque converter fix" and, just like before, it's a "New" low viscosity fluid and a 'change in the procedure' of how they adjust it. Color me skeptical that this will fix the mechanical issue, if it does...fantastic, but not holding my breath.

I'm very close to escalating this further but I fail to see how a $73k car should feel like the worst drive I've experienced in my life. This is a known issue and the constant bounce back/deflection of the true problem is very disconcerting.

I hope this 'new fluid' helps but the new fluid didn't help last time. Now i've felt some slipping recently, and a P1035 code a month ago when the radiator fan stayed on. Issues are stacking up and my confidence in keeping this car any longer than my warranty that ends at the end of the year is lowering.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:37 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The problem with GM's "fix of the month club" approach is that it can take a while to know whether the latest fix will really do the job. If you plan to buy a new A8 and keep it for a while, are you willing to roll the dice right now? I'm optimistic but far from convinced, and it will probably be at least a year before there's enough data or anecdotal evidence or plain old rumors, to have a firm opinion.
We certainly can't count on GM to tell us what's happening.
Maxie2U (01-24-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:52 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Probably the closest we will come to learning what was discussed internally is if the class action against GM over the 8Lxx transmissions moves forward and internal documents are obtained through the legal process. I suspect GM knows how to fix the problem but not at a cost they are willing to bear thus we get the "juice of the month" club approach.

The biggest winner from this approach is the competition but at least there are enough makers of properly performing automatic transmissions that GM alone can't sully the reputation of the product class like they did with their poorly designed 5.7 liter diesel back in the late 1970s which put a dark cloud over any passenger diesel introduction in the U.S. for many years.

Last edited by NSC5; 01-22-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:40 PM
beachguy
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 19, A8 , trans very smooth no issues, but I have the infamous warble at 1500 rpm.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:51 PM
FreeFlyFreak
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rckt
I would wait and see if the non hygroscopic fluid fix just released by GM fixes the issue.
It sounds like it will to me, but only time will tell.
See Newguys post, a few posts up.

Due to the availability of the new Mobil 1 HP fluid and required tool kit, the procedure will be rolled out regionally starting in the Southeast and South-Central regions due to the frequency of TCC shudder. This concern is related to moisture. The current HP fluid has a greater tendency to be hygroscopic – or water absorbing. It also tends to hold that moisture even when the fluid heats up. As the moisture content in the fluid increases, the tendency to have TCC shudder increases. Selected dealers received a Global Connect Message sent to the attention of the Service Manager the week of December 3 advising them of the new service procedure, tool shipment and fluid availability. The Global Connect message includes a PDF copy of the service procedure. It is anticipated that the Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP and required tool kit will be available to all dealers by March 2019.
Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP will only be available through your local GM Oil Distributor. The new oil formulation will initially be available in 55-gallon drums. Drums will cease production in January 2019 and will change to quart bottles.The quart bottle will not have a GM part number on the bottle. The bottle however has been updated. The back ground of the bottle where it states “Synthetic LV ATF HP” has changed from black to blue. (show bottles) The license number on the back of the bottle has changed to J-62120. The six pack packaging has been changed from black script on the white box to blue script on the white box.Dexron HP Fluid, part number 19417904 for a 55 gallon drum or 19417577 for quart bottles.

Last edited by FreeFlyFreak; 01-22-2019 at 01:52 PM.
rckt (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:35 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by beachguy
I have a 19, A8 , trans very smooth no issues, but I have the infamous warble at 1500 rpm.
Yes. And there is another drive train issue that you have. Poor old GM can't get the main part of the car squared away. Absolutely appalling. I've been fortunate so far, but not going to get a head of myself and smug.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 01-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Har-ray
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

Flush success!!!EXCELLENT! Just got 2017 Stingray back from dealer after the new flush,transmission oil, and reprogram. The transmission is perfect. No shudder, no hard shifts. It didn’t run this well when I took delivery 38000 mi. ago. Could not be happier. Thank you GM. It’s about time.
18 na - - -
The following 3 users liked this post by Har-ray:
joemessman (01-24-2019), rckt (01-24-2019), Ron_Attleboro_MA (02-11-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:39 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Har-ray
Flush success!!!EXCELLENT! Just got 2017 Stingray back from dealer after the new flush,transmission oil, and reprogram. The transmission is perfect. No shudder, no hard shifts. It didn’t run this well when I took delivery 38000 mi. ago. Could not be happier. Thank you GM. It’s about time.
18 na - - -
Excellent. Let’s hope it’s a permanent fix.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:19 AM
plake
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 77 Posts

Excellent! I’m assuming this was the newest fluid and compliance with the latest TSB.

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking