Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission failure tracking

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 04:45 PM
MidLife+
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by azcanuk
Curious, is your car still in the B2B warranty time frame? So less than 3 years/36K..
Yes it is, but the service manager said it would be covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:17 PM
us3rname
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts

has anyone tried zeroing their slip tabled? apparently its getting good result from the people on the camaro boards.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:53 AM
plake
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 76 Posts

What are you saying?
The following users liked this post:
hanks10GS (03-02-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 06:37 AM
us3rname
Pro

Originally Posted by plake
What are you saying?
This is the first post from a thread on camaro6 titled TCC Shudder/ tuning solutions

"had the shudder start on my car last spring (MY16). I had the flush procedure done and for about 4 months it was resolved. Unfortunately the shudder has returned.

I noticed that if I command the TC to lockup manually (via HP Tuners) it goes to maximum pressure and it will not shudder at all. As of the most recent beta HP Tuners has added some additional TCC tables. I began doing some testing and for a few days now I have not had the shudder occur at all.

There are allowable slip tables per each gear relative to engine torque output. At low torque output GM allows up to 10 RPM of slip. This results in minimal pressure on the TCC apply. This is the design intent but because of whether it is a fluid friction modifier issue or a clutch material issue on the TC it allows the shudder to be felt.

I changed the table to allow 0 slip in 7th and 8th gear. This resulted in increased line pressure and the shudder does not occur. There is also a table that affects ramp rate of pressure based on slip but I did not need to touch that table.

I'm not saying don't go to the dealer and let them flush/replace the TC per the TSB but if you don't want to go that route it appears it can be mitigated via the TCM calibration.

I thought I'd share for the benefit of the community.

Tim"
Ron_Attleboro_MA (02-11-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If GM finds out you've messed with the TCM tune, kiss the powertrain warranty good by.
And if there's anything on the car I really want to be covered by warranty, the A8 is number 1.
They probably wouldn't even do the new super flush procedure in the January bulletin, unless you're willing to pay ($400+?) for it.

It's well known that before approving major (expensive) work on an engine, GM requires the dealer to send them a readout of the tune history, they're very good at uncovering even "hidden" tunes. Whether they are doing that on transmissions, or will in the future, I don't know. But I don't want to be the test case.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:18 PM
us3rname
Pro

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
If GM finds out you've messed with the TCM tune, kiss the powertrain warranty good by.
And if there's anything on the car I really want to be covered by warranty, the A8 is number 1.
They probably wouldn't even do the new super flush procedure in the January bulletin, unless you're willing to pay ($400+?) for it.

It's well known that before approving major (expensive) work on an engine, GM requires the dealer to send them a readout of the tune history, they're very good at uncovering even "hidden" tunes. Whether they are doing that on transmissions, or will in the future, I don't know. But I don't want to be the test case.
Thats a given, however my powertrain warranty went away with the addition of a supercharger. But you gotta pay to play and if tuning the tcm or paying 400+ for a flush corrects a problem ill shell out for it.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 PM
ricmalaz
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by us3rname
Thats a given, however my powertrain warranty went away with the addition of a supercharger. But you gotta pay to play and if tuning the tcm or paying 400+ for a flush corrects a problem ill shell out for it.
My local dealer quoted me $870 for the new triple flush. I will probably just do it myself if I decide it needs to be done.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:11 PM
us3rname
Pro

Originally Posted by ricmalaz
My local dealer quoted me $870 for the new triple flush. I will probably just do it myself if I decide it needs to be done.
yep mine quoted about the same. He did also mention that he was going to talk to the director as he doesn't think that the addition of the supercharger will void the trans warranty. Ill be amazed if that gets approved. but if not I'll likely change it out with some of the stuff from weapon x myself.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:09 PM
ricmalaz
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by us3rname
yep mine quoted about the same. He did also mention that he was going to talk to the director as he doesn't think that the addition of the supercharger will void the trans warranty. Ill be amazed if that gets approved. but if not I'll likely change it out with some of the stuff from weapon x myself.
Mine said isn't the supercharger per se, but rather just the programming to the ECM if you get a tune.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:21 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

For those of you doing this on your own dime, I would hold off on the triple flush until this latest "fix" has been tested for a few thousand miles by those who have had it done under warranty. The claim was that the lower viscosity of the the prior recommended Mobil fluid would cure the shudder and now the current story is the hygroscopic tendencies of the low viscosity Mobil used as fluid fill #2 is responsible for exactly the same symptoms that was blamed on the viscosity of the original "HP" type fluid used when the 8L90 was introduced. I suspect when shudder reappears with the current magic fluid, the phase of the moon will be identified as the culprit.
The following 2 users liked this post by NSC5:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (02-11-2019), speed4tu (02-11-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 11:32 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
For those of you doing this on your own dime, I would hold off on the triple flush until this latest "fix" has been tested for a few thousand miles by those who have had it done under warranty. The claim was that the lower viscosity of the the prior recommended Mobil fluid would cure the shudder and now the current story is the hygroscopic tendencies of the low viscosity Mobil used as fluid fill #2 is responsible for exactly the same symptoms that was blamed on the viscosity of the original "HP" type fluid used when the 8L90 was introduced. I suspect when shudder reappears with the current magic fluid, the phase of the moon will be identified as the culprit.
I think you may be on to something there.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:36 PM
Makitso
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

I have to wonder if the trans fluid not reaching a normal operating temperature and "cooking" out the
absorbed moisture is a contributing factor in this ongoing issue. This time of year my trans barely reaches
100*F after an hour of driving and even in 100*F+ summer temperatures with spirited driving 135*F is
the most I have seen. From searching I have found a recommended minimum to be around 185*f, but I
don't see that happening for a street driven A8. I have also read that some A8's in other vehicles have a
thermostatically controlled valve that closes off the cooling loop until a minimum temp is reached. Why
wasn't this included on the C7 given its dual cooler system.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:18 AM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I found this article (see attached) on the GM Techlink website. It explains that the old fluid would absorb moisture over time but the new fluid should not.

John
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
GM Techlink Shudder Article.pdf (281.4 KB, 149 views)
The following 7 users liked this post by MA ZO6:
hanks10GS (03-02-2019), Heidemarie (02-09-2019), jimtreber (02-13-2019), joemessman (02-09-2019), KCV (02-09-2019), plake (02-09-2019), Ron_Attleboro_MA (02-11-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-09-2019, 05:13 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I find it interesting that "normal" Mobil 1 synthetic ATF along with numerous other transmission fluids that meet the specs of various GM (and other manufacturer) transmissions don't have a shudder issue EXCEPT when used in the 8L45/8L90 applications. Transmission fluid additive packs have made common ATF somewhat hygroscopic since the late 1970s so it isn't like the original Dexron HP (the original fluid for the 8L90) suddenly brought about a hygroscopic issue to ATF.

So we started with the original "special" spec beyond then current Dex VI which was named Dexron HP for use in the 8L series transmissions. Next we get Mobil 1 "black label" low viscosity synthetic to replace the original HP spec fluid. Now that has been replaced by the "blue label" version that is more resistant to hygroscopic induced shudder.

Unless forced to in court, GM isn't likely to divulge why the 8L series is so problematic with respect to torque converter lockup clutch shudder nor how these new fluid specs which have changed significantly from the original specs around which the 8L90 was designed will impact future operation including longevity.
1950silverstreak (02-09-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Burning Brakes

Received 1,081 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Thanks, Range - AFM Disabler

Originally Posted by ddelallata
I'll update it soon. My 2017 started shuddering at 3200 miles.
Triple flush took care of the problem, but I'm keeping the Range unit plugged in for now.

Update done. Thanks
Have you had any problems after adding the Range - Disabler? Any codes? Did you ever need to get the disabler upgraded?
Someone on StringRayForum had a problem:
https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...-problems.html

Has anyone done research that disabling does not harm?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Burning Brakes

Received 1,081 Likes on 512 Posts

Can you point me to more info on the 'evacuation method'?
I like this, maybe do it myself once a month for six months. Sort of drive & purge method.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 PM
Rick John
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just picked up a 2015 corvette a8 transmission

Originally Posted by ddelallata
I'll update it soon. My 2017 started shuddering at 3200 miles.
Triple flush took care of the problem, but I'm keeping the Range unit plugged in for now.

Update done. Thanks
I just picked up a 2015 and left the dealer ship and I felt shuttering. Ya think before selling they would fix this problem. I noticed if I put it in the sport mode it drove fine. Now I need to take it back to figure out what this is..

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 02-12-2019, 07:41 AM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

A update on my car, I had the NEW flush done a few weeks ago and the car still runs fine, the shudder is gone. Hopefully it stays that way, time will tell.

John
joemessman (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick John
I just picked up a 2015 and left the dealer ship and I felt shuttering. Ya think before selling they would fix this problem. I noticed if I put it in the sport mode it drove fine. Now I need to take it back to figure out what this is..
Why didn't you drive it before you bought it?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:07 PM
Roastum1
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Did the 15s have the 6speed or 8speed?

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking