Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission failure tracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
I've got the A6, so no skin in the game, but how long can Tadge Juechter just totally blow off this issue

A8 owners should be bugging GM until Tadge steps up to the plate. Why not start a thread in the Ask Tadge section, demanding this guy to admit the A8 is flawed with a promise to work on a permanent fix. Just my 2c.
Because they won't even address problem they can fix, like the overheating, never mind the other A8 issues which I'm guessing would require a serious re-design, and since they have the A10 already, they aren't going to bother. But since the A10 doesn't fit in the Corvette, they are just going to keep quit and hope it goes away.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:07 PM
roSSco
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Serious question - is it possible to put either an A6 or M7 in a C7 equipped with an A8, and if so, what would it cost?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:57 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
The A8 issue is with all GM products. And even though it is a relatively small percentage of the cars it is significant enough to address. There is a rather large elephant sitting in GMs living room.
Thanks for pointing this out. I love these "Tadge should do this, Tadge should do that" posts. This is a GM ISSUE, not a Corvette issue. The A8/AFM combo was clearly not sorted when they put it into production, and the number of Corvettes affected is tiny compared to all the trucks/SUV's with this powertrain/drivetrain combination that have the same issues. It is truly sad that "new" GM is sure acting like "old" GM on this one.

Last edited by jimmyb; 06-28-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:38 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by roSSco
Serious question - is it possible to put either an A6 or M7 in a C7 equipped with an A8, and if so, what would it cost?
Since the 14 C7 came out with the A6, that would be feasible... going to an M7 would be a large effort.

Maybe purchasing an after market trans coolers and AFM disablers and Transmission shifting software might be a more reasonalbe approach since GM could not get it right.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:12 PM
CWalker67
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, well, well, misery loves company. Does all this sound SO familiar.

We are currently pursuing litigation against GM for all this.

Replaced torque converter twice. "Metal in oil", replaced crankshaft, thrust bearings, oil tank etc

Tach jumps up and down at about 1500.

Complaints of 'jumping/lurching' never fixed. So we pursued a lawyer.

Went out the other day just to roll it back 8 feet to pressure wash the driveway and the transmission is locked up. Wouldn't budge a 1/4". Can't even roll it in neutral.

One glittery piece of crap.

2015 Z51

Oh, and "hello"

Last edited by CWalker67; 06-28-2017 at 04:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
d00d (11-08-2020)
Old 06-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

^^^^ GOOD LUCK BROTHER^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hope you get some satisfaction, and soon
NSF
Old 06-28-2017, 04:42 PM
CWalker67
Advanced

Thanks. They are beautiful cars, but boy do we have a BAD taste in our mouth.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Thanks for pointing this out. I love these "Tadge should do this, Tadge should do that" posts. This is a GM ISSUE, not a Corvette issue. The A8/AFM combo was clearly not sorted when they put it into production, and the number of Corvettes affected is tiny compared to all the trucks/SUV's with this powertrain/drivetrain combination that have the same issues. It is truly sad that "new" GM is sure acting like "old" GM on this one.
Yes, it appears most of the issues are a bigger GM issue, not a Corvette issue, both technically and in terms of their attitude towards dealing with the issues. However, the lack of cooling on the 2014/2015 is a Corvette issue. They shipped it knowing the problem existed and have done nothing to remedy customers. So I see no indication that the Corvette team's behavior is any better than that of all of GM.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Yes, it appears most of the issues are a bigger GM issue, not a Corvette issue, both technically and in terms of their attitude towards dealing with the issues. However, the lack of cooling on the 2014/2015 is a Corvette issue. They shipped it knowing the problem existed and have done nothing to remedy customers. So I see no indication that the Corvette team's behavior is any better than that of all of GM.
Essentially, they don't want to make waves, and keep their job.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:20 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
Essentially, they don't want to make waves, and keep their job.
just awful ! looks like there are only two ways this will end well...someone gets injured ..and the Feds....demand the recall.
or
Someone on the inside goes public ...

deny Deny Deny ..
Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 AM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Received 553 Likes on 222 Posts

Belt tension was replaced, which got rid of the metallic rattle from the video I posted. Problem is though, it still runs super rough on accel in v4 mode. You can still hear the belt shimmy and beating around in there, just working the hell out of that hydraulic damper.

The tech was very adament that at this point "that's how its supposed to be", but he also mentioned that he thinks some of that roughness is actually the knock sensor getting activated just by how much shimmy there is from the v4 mode. So the knock sensor stepping in and retarding the timing is probably the other shudder that I'm feeling.

Soooo how is that "how its supposed to be"?

I'm still getting the super-hard shift from 1 to 2, and sometimes when you put it into drive. Hard like it feels like you just got rear-ended.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:03 AM
CWalker67
Advanced

Originally Posted by rogue3standingby
The stock answer when they don't know or are tired of you.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:06 PM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Received 553 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by CWalker67
The stock answer when they don't know or are tired of you.
Trust me, i'm equally tired of dealing with this car and Classic Chevrolet of Sugarland, TX.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:00 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Trust me, i'm equally tired of dealing with this car and Classic Chevrolet of Sugarland, TX.
that's the way it is supposed to be ... that's normal ..bring back if it gets worse .....keep driving it .....
Heard all that crap....then I realized I made a big ...sold the car ...no more ..dealership crap to listen to ...
Old 06-30-2017, 07:40 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

I have a great dealership and this car has been a nightmare. I can't image what I would have done with a bad dealership.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:16 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Belt tension was replaced, which got rid of the metallic rattle from the video I posted. Problem is though, it still runs super rough on accel in v4 mode. You can still hear the belt shimmy and beating around in there, just working the hell out of that hydraulic damper.

The tech was very adament that at this point "that's how its supposed to be", but he also mentioned that he thinks some of that roughness is actually the knock sensor getting activated just by how much shimmy there is from the v4 mode. So the knock sensor stepping in and retarding the timing is probably the other shudder that I'm feeling.

I'm still getting the super-hard shift from 1 to 2, and sometimes when you put it into drive. Hard like it feels like you just got rear-ended.
I am curious about your hard shift 1-2. Does this happen only on the first couple of shifts after sitting overnight ? After a few shifts does the 1-2 smooth out ? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:37 AM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

My transmission had to be replaced to stop the super hard shifts and feeling like you were hit from behind GM knows this well!!!

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 07-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Originally Posted by red 1
My transmission had to be replaced to stop the super hard shifts and feeling like you were hit from behind GM knows this well!!!
Mine was too.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Are there any figures or % of these failures ?
It seems like it is happening way too often to me
Really puts the scare in me about buying any of the newer vettes with an auto. Is the A-10 doing any better ?
NSF
Old 07-01-2017, 04:11 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

There is no hard data for percentage of failures. But with that in mind, I have followed all threads on issues with the A8 Stingrays for quite sometime. There have been other threads that try to determine a percentage, etc. I would say at the most it is 5% tops that have developed some type of issue. Unfortunately it seems like most drivers don't put enough miles on their cars to get real good data. It does appear that once a car gets 15K on it there are no issues reported that I have come across. It seems to start to rear its ugly head with in the first couple of thousand miles.
I don't see how the A10 would be any worse, but you never know.
Clearly most owners don't have issues. I can say that for certain.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
Catsbilly (07-12-2017), Not So Fast (07-01-2017)

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking