Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission failure tracking

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:42 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

The Range Module does not leave any "evidence" or record of it's use. No changes are made to the cars software.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:26 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
What's the advantange of Range AFM over driving in M and 'Eco' drive mode?
More specifically than what has already been posted.

Paddle / M mode - V4 mode does not get enabled.
Eco mode - V4 mode can get enabled
Range - V4 mode does not get enabled

For those that believe that V4 mode is the cause or a contributing factor to the transmission / shudder issues, then using M mode or a Range device is a way to prevent V4 from becoming enabled.

v 8.6 and above of the Range device seems to be fully functional for most that are using it. It does not seem to leave any crumbs behind where GM can identify that it has been in use, it is not writing anything to any modules in the car.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:50 PM
pnsnkr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
More specifically than what has already been posted.

Paddle / M mode - V4 mode does not get enabled.
Eco mode - V4 mode can get enabled
I take it that 'M' mode trumps Eco mode for AFM operations, is this correct? So, M + Eco = AFM disabled. OK, I believe you've already answered this below.

Originally Posted by mountainears
Range - V4 mode does not get enabled

For those that believe that V4 mode is the cause or a contributing factor to the transmission / shudder issues, then using M mode or a Range device is a way to prevent V4 from becoming enabled.

v 8.6 and above of the Range device seems to be fully functional for most that are using it. It does not seem to leave any crumbs behind where GM can identify that it has been in use, it is not writing anything to any modules in the car.
Thank you!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
I take it that 'M' mode trumps Eco mode for AFM operations, is this correct? So, M + Eco = AFM disabled.
Eco mode is the only mode where V4 operation is commanded in manual mode. In that sense it mimics operation of the M7 equipped Corvettes where V4 ONLY occurs when the driver mode is set to Eco.

So don't put your driver mode control into Eco mode unless you want it to operate in V4 mode as much as possible. Perhaps that is an OK choice with the M7 transmission but the fuel you save doing this with an A8 comes with the potential for torque converter problems at the least AND that is assuming that the oil consumption issues that occurred at higher mileage with the previous generation of this displacement on demand system have truly been solved.

I believe one of our European members noted that in Euro spec Corvettes equipped with an automatic, V4 operation occurs only when set to Eco mode regardless of whether the transmission is in automatic or manual mode. That would have been nice for us in the U.S.

So to stay out of V4 mode you can operate with the transmission set to manual in any mode but Eco or use a Range module (or have it tuned out). I suspect in Eco mode with the Range module plugged in the car would still stay out of V4 mode but that combination makes no logical sense and I have never tried it.

Last edited by NSC5; 02-15-2018 at 01:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pnsnkr (02-15-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:20 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Ames
The Range Module does not leave any "evidence" or record of it's use. No changes are made to the cars software.
Is this a simple plug in device at the OBD11 port? Does it work well on the 2016 MY? Where does one purchase it? Approximate cost?
Old 02-16-2018, 12:06 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
Is this a simple plug in device at the OBD11 port? Does it work well on the 2016 MY? Where does one purchase it? Approximate cost?
Plugs into the OBD2 port. It will work with your 2016. $199.
Buy it from the manufacturing company so that you have the latest firmware update.
https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/
Squeaky Wheel (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 12:31 PM
freddieg
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Shift denied!

I was driving in manual with the paddel shifters and when I tried to down shift the message center says shift denied. Tried it several times and same thing. 16 model built 6/15 with 13k miles, anybody got a clue or had that happen?
Old 02-16-2018, 01:07 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by freddieg
I was driving in manual with the paddel shifters and when I tried to down shift the message center says shift denied. Tried it several times and same thing. 16 model built 6/15 with 13k miles, anybody got a clue or had that happen?
A downshift will be denied if the gear you requested would place the engine too high in the RPM range. Upshifts are denied if the requested range would put the engine at insufficient RPM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:52 PM
freddieg
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
A downshift will be denied if the gear you requested would place the engine too high in the RPM range. Upshifts are denied if the requested range would put the engine at insufficient RPM.
I use the paddels right often and I was never over 3500 rpm, even upshifted to 6th doing 45 and still wouldn't allow me to down shift.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:43 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by freddieg
I use the paddels right often and I was never over 3500 rpm, even upshifted to 6th doing 45 and still wouldn't allow me to down shift.
Sounds like time for a dealer visit. Something is causing the system to decide that a down shift request isn't acceptable.

Did you try engine shut down and then a restart (open the driver's side door after shut down to also shut down the RAP (retained accessory power system) to ensure a clean reset of the systems).
Old 02-17-2018, 12:39 PM
MRCOUPE5
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

2016 Long Beach Red - Kalahari , 2LT Z51,
I had my torque converter changed January 11th with 12,700 miles. Fluid flush done in August with 11,250 miles on the odometer , still shuttered . Also had front rotors replaced due to warping .. and front windshield replaced from internal crack on right upper corner . Criswell in Maryland did a amazing job. All covered under warrantee .. No issues so far ..
joemessman (02-17-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 10:49 PM
ilkSurfer
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 92 Posts

Early production 17 Grand Sport with Z07 package. Shudder started around 2000 miles and I kept driving around and dismissing the shudder by personally forcing to V8 mode by downshifting with paddles. It started to get very annoying. After finding out about the issue on this thread, got it triple flushed at 2700 miles, but the shudder got worse and started having hard shifts after the flush. Set for TC replacement next week. I purchased the RT AFM disabler and will start using after the TC replacement. I really like the auto. Hopefully TC replacement will fix the issue.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:21 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 276 Posts

It appears to me IMHO after reading all the posts and searching the internet that this issue is a solid basis for a class action law suite. False advertising and hiding the issue, kind of like Apple and the battery slowing down debacle . You really can't advertise and sell a high performance sports car and deliver a 4 banger Chevette to the customer.

GM should come out with a TSB to keep the AFM inactive except in Eco mode for the A8 transmissions, just like they do in the manual transmission or like Europe in the automatic transmission. Very easy to do just a software update.

You really can't bang on the TC using it as a harmonic dampener in V4 mode and expect it to live very long.

Yes I own a 2017 C7 A8 and will be deleting the AFM as soon as possible. Background: >50 years in automotive and high tech electronics.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Ced4jets
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

17 GS delivered in Oct, 16. Had the triple flush last summer and it helped for a while. Going in for TC replacement in two weeks. Dealer has been very helpful. Just ordered a range. Like the car a lot, don't care for AFM. I had an M7 on my 2015 Stingray so never had to deal with it. Car has about 5900 miles.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:21 AM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

My 2017 A8 Z-51, when coming to a stop, violently lurches prior to stopping. It doesn't happen all the time but only two or three times during the day. Car has 5500 miles and a build date of 05/17.
There is no sound but a feeling like "something has bumped" the car from behind. Is this the TC?
Old 02-25-2018, 11:27 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Perhaps, and if it is the TC it may just need a reflash or fluid/filter flush .
I see you are in FL so if you post your general area I am sure there are forum members who can recommend a dealership that has experience with these kind of issues.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,151 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by Ced4jets
17 GS delivered in Oct, 16. Had the triple flush last summer and it helped for a while. Going in for TC replacement in two weeks. Dealer has been very helpful. Just ordered a range. Like the car a lot, don't care for AFM. I had an M7 on my 2015 Stingray so never had to deal with it. Car has about 5900 miles.
There has been a total of four part numbers for the A8 torque converter: 24264542, 24273061, 24279495, and 24280631 in that order.

You should verify they ordered the latest T/C P/N and not any of the previous versions.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 02-25-2018, 06:24 PM
Ced4jets
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
My 2017 A8 Z-51, when coming to a stop, violently lurches prior to stopping. It doesn't happen all the time but only two or three times during the day. Car has 5500 miles and a build date of 05/17.
There is no sound but a feeling like "something has bumped" the car from behind. Is this the TC?
Call Jose at Estero Bay Chevrolet. He is all over my issues. They are number 20 out of top 50 Corvette dealers. This is my second Vette bought from them.

Vietnam - me too. CH-47 pilot 101 ABN. My '71 LT1 was waiting for me when I returned. Welcome home!
Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm curious about the Range AFM Disabler vs. the Diablosport Sprint AFM Disabler for shutting down the 4 cylinder mode? I'd like to give it a try on my 2016 Z51 A8 as some here have mentioned.

I've had some past experience with GM's AFM. I had an issue with a new Truck that had a vibration if held at 50 miles per hour, thought it might be something on the front end or a bad tire it was so noticeable. Mechanic went on a road test, checked a few things and reported the vibration was due to the vehicles Active Management System and was considered "normal." I asked how I could get rid of it somehow and he said to turn it off with a Diablosport Predator Tuner or something equivalent.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:25 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Vette
I'm curious about the Range AFM Disabler vs. the Diablosport Sprint AFM Disabler for shutting down the 4 cylinder mode? I'd like to give it a try on my 2016 Z51 A8 as some here have mentioned.

I've had some past experience with GM's AFM. I had an issue with a new Truck that had a vibration if held at 50 miles per hour, thought it might be something on the front end or a bad tire it was so noticeable. Mechanic went on a road test, checked a few things and reported the vibration was due to the vehicles Active Management System and was considered "normal." I asked how I could get rid of it somehow and he said to turn it off with a Diablosport Predator Tuner or something equivalent.
The Diablosport Sprint is just a rebranded Range. I would just go with the Range.

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking