Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission failure tracking

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 11:51 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,148 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by ram_g
Tinker, your assertion that the Range jeopardizes the warranty is simply not borne out by the thousands of units in use by Corvette and various other GM owners. I too have searched the web numerous times to find any examples where GM has denied warranty service due to a Range being used, and I have been unable to find any such. If you do know of any links that show otherwise, please help out the community by posting these.
I agree, Tinker was really reaching with his post. To make an assertion the car keeps a complete (100%) log of every AFM transition is ludicrous.

The fact remains as long as you don’t leave it plugged in (or leave it in the car) when you bring it into a GM dealer the Range leaves ZERO foot print.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 02-27-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:41 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 276 Posts

Where i work we log almost every parameter available all the time. On chip storage is cheap. This is usually an artifact of the engineering process, a lot of code never gets removed after development just for future analysis. Data is usually stored in very short codes, ie code 35, code 44 etc, which when looked up would refer to a system parameter such as AFM denied, ABS off etc. And this memory would be a loop, overwritten after it becomes full.
So yes they can store a lot of data but someone has to go the extra steps to get to it. Can't be done at the dealership level, must be accomplished in the GM labs with special software and techniques.
With todays processors and ARM chips nothing leaves a ZERO foot print unless the software developer writes the code to do so or not to.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

If GM was motivated to do so the controller code could be written to look for sustained events preventing AFM from going active and setting a code when this happens but they have not done so. I doubt if this is a priority and for GM the Range module is actually a good thing because it does cut down on transmission issues and does not add stress to the drivetrain like a typical aftermarket tune. GM gets the best of both worlds in having the EPA positive of providing fuel savings technology while allowing customers to easily avoid the downside issues from the system.

Last edited by NSC5; 02-27-2018 at 08:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NSC5:
Maxie2U (02-27-2018), ram_g (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Good point NSC5.
If you use a Diablosport Trinty T2 tuner you can reload your stock tune with the AFM turned off. No other changes except AFM is turned off and no additional stress on drivetrain because this is still basically a stock tune. And using this method you have turned the AFM off the correct way in which the software was designed. You also have the option of monitoring all the parameters if needed.
I do believe if only the AFM is turned off by any means there won't be any warranty issues and you won't be beating on the TC anymore in V4 mode.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:01 AM
MichaelO
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Would be nice if you are right about the warranty but I'm not sure about that, like to hear other opinions.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:19 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Can someone explain to me (non-mechanic...) how the v4 mode damages the torque converter?
Old 02-27-2018, 01:25 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Before someone explains, it should be stated that GM has not stated that it does. There is speculation on this forum that the problem could be caused from the V4 mode. I've seen at least one post from someone on this forum that had an issue who also claimed they never were in V4 mode, but again, that's not science.... It's possible of course that it is a contributing factor, not an actual cause. Hard to really say. IMHO there is nothing definitive, if one is worried about having a failure, keeping it out of V4 mode could possibly be a help.

Personally, I'm not a fan of V4 mode for other reasons, so I choose to run a Range device to eliminate it. If it happens to have an added benefit of easing some stress on downstream components, I'll take that....
Old 02-27-2018, 01:29 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Can someone explain to me (non-mechanic...) how the v4 mode damages the torque converter?
When a V8 is running on only 4 cylinders it creates much greater vibration and if the torque converter lockup clutch remained engaged constantly this vibration would be transferred to the rest of the drivetrain and the car itself. During V4 operation the lockup clutch is modulated on and off so that the normal fluidic coupling of the torque converter absorbs some of the variation in speed which is what the vibration is in this case.

The lockup clutch is a friction clutch and under normal cruising conditions it remains locked to reduce the power loss (and thus efficiency/economy) loss that occurs in a torque converter that is only fluid coupled. But the constant on/off modulation of this lockup clutch increases wear over time and it will reach the point where it no longer provides the expected "lockup" and the result is slippage and shudder.

The reason the automatic equipped Corvette is allowed to go into AFM in any mode is because GM uses the torque converter to absorb vibration, something that cannot be done with the friction clutch in the manual transmission. If it went into V4 mode under the same frequent conditions as the A8 there would be a high level of complaint about the resulting vibration.

The 8L90 (A8) seems to suffer far more from this issue than the earlier A6 (6L80) and this is probably because when the 8L series was used to replace the 6L it had to fit within the same basic dimensions and GM uses what they refer to as a "squashed" torque converter to save space and apparently part of that squashing reduces the available space for a robust lockup clutch assembly.

One of the diagnostic steps in the original GM TSB for this was to force the engine out of V4 mode to see whether the issue disappeared and this was used to determine if that particular vehicle did have the true shudder issue.

Last edited by NSC5; 02-27-2018 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 01:30 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
for GM the Range module is actually a good thing because it does cut down on transmission issues and does not add stress to the drivetrain like a typical aftermarket tune. GM gets the best of both worlds in having the EPA positive of providing fuel savings technology while allowing customers to easily avoid the downside issues from the system.
I think you are spot on. Why does GM so adamantly not update the software to make the V4 mode come on only the Eco setting? I think it has to be that they got EPA certification for the A8 cars in the US with the technology enabled, so issuing a backwards compatible software fix would run afoul of the EPA. I suppose they could fix it for cars going forward, but then it would be a PR problem both for those cars (reduced mileage) and the existing fleet (admission of existing problem). So they pretend nothing's amiss.

But the warranty costs must be adding up! IMHO the fluid flush fix is nothing but a bandaid to postpone failure until after the warranty is up. So as long as the Range does not introduce any negative side effects, I cannot see that it would be in GM's interest to actively stamp out its use.

Last edited by ram_g; 02-27-2018 at 01:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,148 Likes on 2,248 Posts

When a V8 is running on only 4 cylinders it creates much greater vibration and if the torque converter lockup clutch remained engaged constantly this vibration would be transferred to the rest of the drivetrain and the car itself. During V4 operation the lockup clutch is modulated on and off so that the normal fluidic coupling of the torque converter absorbs some of the variation in speed which is what the vibration is in this case.

The lockup clutch is a friction clutch and under normal cruising conditions it remains locked to reduce the power loss (and thus efficiency/economy) loss that occurs in a torque converter that is only fluid coupled. But the constant on/off modulation of this lockup clutch increases wear over time and it will reach the point where it no longer provides the expected "lockup" and the result is slippage and shudder.

The reason the automatic equipped Corvette is allowed to go into AFM in any mode is because GM uses the torque converter to absorb vibration, something that cannot be done with the friction clutch in the manual transmission. If it went into V4 mode under the same frequent conditions as the A8 there would be a high level of complaint about the resulting vibration.

The 8L90 (A8) seems to suffer far more from this issue than the earlier A6 (6L80) and this is probably because when the 8L series was used to replace the 6L it had to fit within the same basic dimensions and GM uses what they refer to as a "squashed" torque converter to save space and apparently part of that squashing reduces the available space for a robust lockup clutch assembly.

One of the diagnostic steps in the original GM TSB for this was to force the engine out of V4 mode to see whether the issue disappeared and this was used to determine if that particular vehicle did have the true shudder issue.

Excellent summary.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 02-27-2018 at 04:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxie2U:
Heidemarie (02-28-2018), MichaelO (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:40 PM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Well said NSC5
Nail on the head
Bravo!
Old 02-27-2018, 05:04 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
Agreed,I don't paddle shift a lot. BUt I do use it, and probably use it more than I used to since I've come back from Spring Mountain.

But I also use performance shift mode a lot as well. I don't think people know about that as much, but the transmission will adapt and you can force the performance mode with a quick blip of the throttle. I tend to use that more than I do paddle shifting, if I know I want to pass someone or get aggressive I just give it a quick blip and it forces that (pops up on the DIC) and it is very responsive. It can shift way faster than I can with the paddles.
What is performance shift mode?
Old 02-27-2018, 05:49 PM
Cmud
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts

I had the flush completed with new transmission oil when the car had 12K miles due to the shuddering and rpm fluctuations while in V4 mode. So far so good on that end, no more issues while in V4 mode. Been about 8K miles since I had it done but I am getting another issue.

Now this car used to be my daily driver but for the last year or so I've had the option to drive something else when the weather is bad and when I don't feel like rewashing the vette. LOL So now the vette will sit for extended periods of time, like for a week at the most, just depends on the the weather. So when I drive the vette after its been sitting up it has major problems shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. When it shifts to second there is a pause, almost like it cant shift into the next gear and then it figures it out and slams it into 2nd. It is kind of harsh. When I drive the car daily this problem goes away. Any thoughts?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:35 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

A fly in the ointment question about The Range vs. using a programmer to shut off AFM:

Isn't it true that having The Range plugged in all the time will kill your battery? Most Forum members have dealt with the dreaded "dead corvette battery," it isn't pleasant. This presents another potential issue to deal with.

Also, having to reach under the dash everytime I want to go for a drive to plug and unplug The Range seems like a pain. Why not just shut it off with a programmer and be done with it? If I go to the dealership for something, I can just dump the stock tune back in when I feel like it.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Johnp94
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 123 Posts

Updated software on the range afm delete or the newly sold range devices do not drain the battery. My range stays in and I do not have battery issues.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:14 AM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnp94
Updated software on the range afm delete or the newly sold range devices do not drain the battery. My range stays in and I do not have battery issues.
Range Technology’s website says:

The Range Device does NOT draw much on the vehicle battery during normal operation. If you drive your vehicle daily (or almost daily), then this will not be a concern. However, if you drive your vehicle infrequently (i.e., only on weekends), please remove the device. It is best practice to remove the device if your vehicle will sit for anything longer than a week.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:39 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Just use a switched OBD-II extension cable if you have any concerns about the Range unit draining the battery. It isn't a good idea to frequently plug/unplug items into the OBD-II because this sort of usage wasn't anticipated and the connector may wear excessively.

I use this one:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by NSC5; 02-28-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 02-28-2018, 08:40 AM
KCV
Pro

Just use a switched OBD-II extension cable if you have any concerns about the Range unit draining the battery. It isn't a good idea to frequently plug/unplug items into the OBD-II because this sort of usage wasn't anticipated and the connector may wear excessively.

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Tonsiki-Femal.../dp/B00UR5XBMW
Good idea. Were you able to mount the extension cable somewhere so it doesn’t just hang down? Could you post a pic? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KCV

Good idea. Were you able to mount the extension cable somewhere so it doesn’t just hang down? Could you post a pic? Thanks.
The Z06 is still covered and hibernating through the midwestern winter so I don't have a photo now. I ran the flat cable up from the OBD-II port and tucked it under the lip of the instrument panel trim and then mounted the switch and Range unit high up on the torque tube tunnel using double stick tape (this leaves little residue and what is there cleans up easily from the carpet when removed). The status lights on the Range module are pretty bright so I have mine aimed downward at an angle to the floor so that they can be seen but aren't' creating an inside glare when driving at night.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM
KCV
Pro

The Z06 is still covered and hibernating through the midwestern winter so I don't have a photo now. I ran the flat cable up from the OBD-II port and tucked it under the lip of the instrument panel trim and then mounted the switch and Range unit high up on the torque tube tunnel using double stick tape (this leaves little residue and what is there cleans up easily from the carpet when removed). The status lights on the Range module are pretty bright so I have mine aimed downward at an angle to the floor so that they can be seen but aren't' creating an inside glare when driving at night.
Brilliant! Thanks.

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking