Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy a C7 what do I need to know

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Make sure and get everything you want from the start. The C7 is a sports car so don't let the sales guy tell you you don't need the Z51 package unless you track the car. It really does make the Carr more sporting and the upcharge is minimal. It comes standard with the sport exhaust which is an absolute must have. I would advise not to go for the 1 LT and decide between the 2 LT and 3LT. The 3LT has leather dash and doors and upgraded leather on the seats in addition to other plusses so while it costs more is worth taking a look at. Roof panel options are available so decide what is best; the exposed carbon fiber looks great but costs $2k more, and you can also get a clear roof and dual roof options. It's fun to have both roofs for s change of looks during hot/cold seasons.

In the end if you plan on keeping the car for several years you will be better off getting what you want rather than having regrets about settling for a car on the lot.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Make sure and get everything you want from the start. The C7 is a sports car so don't let the sales guy tell you you don't need the Z51 package unless you track the car. It really does make the Carr more sporting and the upcharge is minimal. It comes standard with the sport exhaust which is an absolute must have. I would advise not to go for the 1 LT and decide between the 2 LT and 3LT. The 3LT has leather dash and doors and upgraded leather on the seats in addition to other plusses so while it costs more is worth taking a look at. Roof panel options are available so decide what is best; the exposed carbon fiber looks great but costs $2k more, and you can also get a clear roof and dual roof options. It's fun to have both roofs for s change of looks during hot/cold seasons.

In the end if you plan on keeping the car for several years you will be better off getting what you want rather than having regrets about settling for a car on the lot.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:23 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Don't let the salesman talk you into the Z51 option. If you don't track the car you don't necessarily need to spend $2700. You decide whether you need it or not.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:58 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Don't let these posters tell you that you need a 1LT, 2LT, or 3Lt. Look at those options and determine if you will use the options in a particular package. I know some drivers don't care about those options, and I know some drivers who use and like them all.
With that said I regret not buying a Z06 with 2LZ option package. You can see what I bought by my signature. But.....that will be remedied with in the next few month. I am going to buy my Z06 and have it appointed exactly how I want it. Nothing like the first Corvette to determine what you will use, want, or should have got in the first place. By the way I don't like HUD, heated, or vented seats. I would enjoy the front camera and the auto seat adjustment getting in and out of the cabin. And yes, for just those two options I will be overpaying quite a bit. But I don't care.
The moral of the story here is don't other drivers likes and dislikes transfer to you. You be the one to decide what you would use and not use. If you are not sure it may be worth the option package price to try it out and you may find out you like it.
As far as tracking or not tracking the car, some drivers simply just like and feel good about a Z51 package, or Grand Sport package even though it will never see the track. If it makes you feel good go for it! No matter how you go with this purchase you will absolutely love the car! Even though I didn't get exactly what I should have on my first one I love this car from top to bottom.
PS. I don't need 650 HP, but I want it!

Last edited by joemessman; 06-13-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:00 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Don't let the salesman talk you into the Z51 option. If you don't track the car you don't necessarily need to spend $2700. You decide whether you need it or not.
No offense meant, Red. I don't know where you got the $2700 figure; I would have thought it was actually more than that to move up from the base model to a z51. I didn't buy mine new, nor from a Chevy dealer. I chose mine from a test-drive session, where I was lucky enough to have access to a z06, a base, and a z51 w/MRC. I "settled" for the z51 for many reasons, mostly because I liked its' handling and response best. (The throttle lag in the z06 really bummed me out; I also don't like the "mickey mouse" treatment for 'widening' the front fenders. An SC that doesn't respond until the lag passes seemed 'useless' to me... )

I was intent on purchasing a used car only for the concept of "someone else absorbing most of the depreciation", and that's how my selection process was focused--but I chose the z51 for its' ride and handling in the street--not for its' track potential. I'd guess most z51 owners never considered their purchase for it's use on the track, and still their decision was made because this model is much more than the base model. And if that's the case, $2700 seems like a pittance.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Don't let the salesperson talk you into anything. Do all your homework in advance, and decide exactly what you do and do not want.

If you are deciding between a Z51 and non, please just do yourself a favor and drive both, and try different modes - Tour, Sport, Track, and the 5 different available Track modes.

You won't know you have different modes if you get a non-Z51. The modes are flippin amazing, with Z51. Track / schmack - you'll know which you want after driving each.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:55 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Exactly don't let salesmen or yahoos on this forum decide for you. Drive them both. Buy the one you like. There are noticeable differences when you drive all these cars back to back. Just make sure you get some good winding/backroads for your test drive.
The following users liked this post:
RedC7AZ (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 02:23 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by dork
No offense meant, Red. I don't know where you got the $2700 figure; I would have thought it was actually more than that to move up from the base model to a z51. I didn't buy mine new, nor from a Chevy dealer. I chose mine from a test-drive session, where I was lucky enough to have access to a z06, a base, and a z51 w/MRC. I "settled" for the z51 for many reasons, mostly because I liked its' handling and response best. (The throttle lag in the z06 really bummed me out; I also don't like the "mickey mouse" treatment for 'widening' the front fenders. An SC that doesn't respond until the lag passes seemed 'useless' to me... )

I was intent on purchasing a used car only for the concept of "someone else absorbing most of the depreciation", and that's how my selection process was focused--but I chose the z51 for its' ride and handling in the street--not for its' track potential. I'd guess most z51 owners never considered their purchase for it's use on the track, and still their decision was made because this model is much more than the base model. And if that's the case, $2700 seems like a pittance.
No offense take.

I do stand corrected. The Z51 package went from $2700 bucks to almost double that...$5,000.00.

The OP is ready, willing and able to purchase a new C7, but also needs to consider the risks of inheriting someone else's issues when you buy a used C7.

Accordingly, many new car buyers feel that if it's your dream car, why settle for used? The depreciation pales in comparison to the pride and feeling of being the car's original and only owner.

The OP will have to measure the additional $5,000.00 cost vs the any ride and handling benefits he perceives with the Z51 during his everyday street driving, then like everyone else, make his own decision.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 06-13-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Wellcraft
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
Exactly don't let salesmen or yahoos on this forum decide for you. Drive them both. Buy the one you like. There are noticeable differences when you drive all these cars back to back. Just make sure you get some good winding/backroads for your test drive.
I test drove a 1LT at Kerbeck but the test drive was brief and I wasn't allowed to push the car a little to see what it could do. More or less a waste of time since the test drive was only a few miles and I couldn't tell the difference between the 1LT and my Camry. I would have loved to get on the AC expressway and push the throttle a bit, probably would have convinced me to buy it.

I'm going to checkout a 2016 Z51 2LT with 1300 miles on it tomorrow, hopefully they'll let me take it for a real test drive. This will be a huge purchase for me and I want the best bang for the buck, from what I gather from the folks on this board and a couple of guys I know that own Vettes the Z51 option is the way to go. Might have to postpone my purchase and save extra money in order to get what I want and have no regrets.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:20 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellcraft
I test drove a 1LT at Kerbeck but the test drive was brief and I wasn't allowed to push the car a little to see what it could do. More or less a waste of time since the test drive was only a few miles and I couldn't tell the difference between the 1LT and my Camry. ...
If this purchase is gonna replace a Camry, a base will do. just kiddin'.

I was lucky enough to test drive the base and the z06 alone (empty passenger seat). I drove the z51 with the saleswoman accompanying me. I dunno why they let me take the base and z06 out alone. For each drive, I (was "accustomed" to the DIC and the MRC settings and had) set all the configs up as I preferred them and I drove to the limits of "legal" prudence and sanity, off/on-ramps and hairpins included. The drives probably took a total of ~2 hours. Wellcraft, continue to persevere--find a seller that'll let you really try out the Vettes of your choice, they way you'd like until you know how different each one handles.

Ifn you really have trouble finding a vendor, CarMax will usually let you test drive'm as if they were dealing seriously with a potential buyer.

Last edited by dork; 06-13-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:28 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I know resale value is not the main concern, but higher optioned cars are probably going to drop in value more than the base car. The value will be more than base car, but the drop in value will be more.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Wellcraft
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dork
If this purchase is gonna replace a Camry, a base will do. just kiddin'.

I was lucky enough to test drive the base and the z06 alone (empty passenger seat). I drove the z51 with the saleswoman accompanying me. I dunno why they let me take the base and z06 out alone. For each drive, I (was "accustomed" to the DIC and the MRC settings and had) set all the configs up as I preferred them and I drove to the limits of "legal" prudence and sanity, off/on-ramps and hairpins included. The drives probably took a total of ~2 hours. Wellcraft, continue to persevere--find a seller that'll let you really try out the Vettes of your choice, they way you'd like until you know how different each one handles.

Ifn you really have trouble finding a vendor, CarMax will usually let you test drive'm as if they were dealing seriously with a potential buyer.
I checked carmax but the facility in my area didn't have any Vettes in stock. I'll probably keep my Camry since its a good riding car, it's paid for and I can drive it when the Vette is best left parked. The useless test drive kind of turned me off a little with Kerbeck but I may still buy there if the price is right. I'll be in NH for a week so if I get the chance I'll checkout Macmulkin and see if they'll let me take a 1LT and Z51 for a test drive. I'm in no hurry to make a decision so I've got plenty of time to get as much info as possible and make the most informed decision possible.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:37 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I bought a 2LT, Z51. No regrets. The seat features as well as the trim are worth it, especially coming from a C5. The Z51, offering bigger wheels, brakes, transmission cooler, etc., Is well worth the added cost.
Most importantly. Wherever you buy from, make sure the dealership has dedicated, trained, Corvette mechanics. Not just some jack legs that rotate from one dealership to another after so many screw ups.
Buying the car you want is #1. Getting proper service that won't turn into a living nightmare is equally important.
Happy hunting and keep us posted.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:28 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Basically how this question typically breaks down on here is this:

1. Z51 or GS is 10x better handling and speed than than the base. If you don't get the Z51, you are poverty. The base is SLOW and handles like a 98 Caddy SLS.

2. Anything less than 2LT and once again you are poverty. The 1LT has essentially no features that your loaded Lexus has. Neither does the 3LT, but you are still a loser if you don't at least get the 2LT.

3. Higher trim levels are not only WAY faster and or more comfortable, but have better resale. Never mind that for every $5000 you spend you might see another $1000 resale over the 1LT base a couple years down the road.

Damn, almost forgot:

4. The automatic 8 speed is WAY faster than the M7. Just destroys it. Eats it for breakfast. Even with an excellent M7 driver. If you don't get the A8, it's probably because you can't afford it pal. Never mind that the torque converter takes a dump every 10k mi.

Last edited by DAFFYDRUNK; 06-13-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Ever notice how you never see Jeff Gordon and Speed Racer in the same place at the same time? Odd.
LIStingray (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 06:33 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK

1. Z51 or GS is 10x better handling and speed than than the base. If you don't get the Z51, you are poverty. The base is SLOW and handles like a 98 Caddy SLS.

2. Anything less than 2LT and once again you are poverty. The 1LT has essentially no features that your loaded Lexus has. Neither does the 3LT, but you are still a loser if you don't at least get the 2LT.

3. Higher trim levels are not only WAY faster and or more comfortable, but have better resale. Never mind that for every $5000 you spend you might see another $1000 resale over the 1LT base a couple years down the road.
I see what you did there. Very good. I love it. And that's about it.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:39 PM
Wellcraft
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK

Good points.....I don't mind paying for upgrades that really make a difference and ones I'll actually use. I don't want stuff that's fun to brag about to friends but never get used while driving. I guess I need to test drive multiple vehicles to see if the higher trim levels are worth it me or not.

​​​​After reading up on the A8 TC/transmission issues I may need to rethink getting an automatic and buy a manual transmission.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:53 PM
MHE-Plex
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 115 Posts
Default You are at the right place…

You are at the right place… I regret I don't have much more to add but I can assure you after several years of reading online that this forum is the place to be to find the answer you're looking for related to Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To About to buy a C7 what do I need to know

Old 06-13-2017, 08:41 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Ask yourself what's more desirable come resale time, a 1LT or 2LT.....forethought never hurt anybody but short sightedness has.
A 2LT might be more desirable, but a 1LT will bring a bigger percentage of its MSRP at resale - the 2LT package for a 2014-2016 car adds about $2,500 offer a comparable model 1LT, but cost $4,500 more new.
Options and packages never add as much value in resale as they cost when bought new.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:54 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wellcraft
Good points.....I don't mind paying for upgrades that really make a difference and ones I'll actually use. I don't want stuff that's fun to brag about to friends but never get used while driving. I guess I need to test drive multiple vehicles to see if the higher trim levels are worth it me or not.

​​​​After reading up on the A8 TC/transmission issues I may need to rethink getting an automatic and buy a manual transmission.
OP,
Daffy was using sarcasm to prove a point, which is that you need to sift through the BS.
joemessman (06-14-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 08:58 PM
1 HOT 07
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwim
If you get a 1LT, then you will not get front cameras. You will need to take time to learn front clearacne when pulling up to a curb or wall. Since you can't really see over the whole curvature of the hood, it seems like you have more room than you really do have. Stop 3 feet short of where you think you should stop, and manually check to see how much room you have. You may be surprised. Easy to chew up your nose if not careful... at least until you get used to it.

If you don't get a front camera, get used to backing your car into a parking space.

Quick Reply: About to buy a C7 what do I need to know