Sponsored by:

Corvette Racing at Le Mans this weekend

Old 06-13-2017, 11:59 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Foosh
They really have almost nothing in common. Virtually everything from the chassis up is entirely different from the street car.
The frame is the stock aluminum C7 version with a full safety cage. The suspension adds custom coil overs as most track Corvettes do. The engine is a C6 LS7 block reduced to 5.5 liters. It has a modified C7 direct injection system. The transmission is replaced with a six speed sequential gear box. The only body parts in common with a C7 are the headlights, tail lights, rear bumper, and the door skins.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:43 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,967 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Same cars.
Yes, to this. For Le Mans, they run a different tire, and are in low downforce configuration, so lessons learned in IMSA (for the team and BoP) don't always apply though. They tested the low downforce config at Road America before shipping the cars to France.

LOL, I think BOP may well decide it. The Ford GT, which was the dominant car last year finishing 1,3 & 4 in GT-Pro, is now the slowest car in that class by a couple of seconds in testing, as a result of BOP. They both took away boost and added ballast.

I was at the COTA race in May, and they were also off the pace. Look for another adjustment soon because it looks like they've neutered that car.
Don't believe what you see/hear from Ford. Last year between test day and qualifying they magically "found" 5 seconds. There is no chance the changes since then have knocked off the now 6-7 seconds they are off of last year's qualifying times. Ford is probably slower than the Ferrari now, which hasn't been changed as the "Baseline" car and may rightfully complain about BoP, but they are definitely not the speed they showed on test day, and may still be faster than the Corvettes.

It will be interesting, because last year teams sandbagged the test day, and there were adjustments after qualifying when Ford and Ferrari were significantly faster during qualifying than the test day. With that lesson learned, and qualifying at a 24 hour race virtually meaningless, I wonder if anyone (cough...Ford....cough) will hide their pace in qualifying as well to get better BoP

My guess from all the adjustments as it stands now, Ferrari is the fastest, with Porsche and Ford in some order 2 and 3, and Corvette and Aston in some order 4 and 5. Good news is, the difference between the fastest and slowest will be closer this year than last. No team can make up the 5-6 seconds a lap difference last year had on pit stops and strategy (that is basically 25 minutes in a 24 hour race). But if the difference comes down to within a second or two,hopefully the race is more interesting for all manufacturers and everyone has a chance at the win.

Last edited by z28lt1; 06-13-2017 at 12:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by z28lt1:
Foosh (06-13-2017), maxp (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:56 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Here's hoping for a Corvette Victory this weekend! Thanks to the OP for sharing!!
The following users liked this post:
mjdart (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 01:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Yes, to this. For Le Mans, they run a different tire, and are in low downforce configuration, so lessons learned in IMSA (for the team and BoP) don't always apply though. They tested the low downforce config at Road America before shipping the cars to France.

Don't believe what you see/hear from Ford. Last year between test day and qualifying they magically "found" 5 seconds. There is no chance the changes since then have knocked off the now 6-7 seconds they are off of last year's qualifying times. Ford is probably slower than the Ferrari now, which hasn't been changed as the "Baseline" car and may rightfully complain about BoP, but they are definitely not the speed they showed on test day, and may still be faster than the Corvettes.

It will be interesting, because last year teams sandbagged the test day, and there were adjustments after qualifying when Ford and Ferrari were significantly faster during qualifying than the test day. With that lesson learned, and qualifying at a 24 hour race virtually meaningless, I wonder if anyone (cough...Ford....cough) will hide their pace in qualifying as well to get better BoP

My guess from all the adjustments as it stands now, Ferrari is the fastest, with Porsche and Ford in some order 2 and 3, and Corvette and Aston in some order 4 and 5. Good news is, the difference between the fastest and slowest will be closer this year than last. No team can make up the 5-6 seconds a lap difference last year had on pit stops and strategy (that is basically 25 minutes in a 24 hour race). But if the difference comes down to within a second or two,hopefully the race is more interesting for all manufacturers and everyone has a chance at the win.
Agree, one never knows what kind of strategy games all team play.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:13 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Excited and ready to watch a good race.

Let's try to keep Ford's sandbagging in check this time around.

The following 3 users liked this post by \Boost Monkey/:
blkvet6 (06-17-2017), itaylorm (06-16-2017), Mike Campbell (06-14-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 01:21 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Yeah, everybody loves it when BOP penalizes the competition, and then when your favorite wins too often, BOP smacks you in the face.
FWIW, I believe in the concept of BOP.
IMO, it has lead to some terrific racing in the IMSA series.

It's almost impossible to predict who will win a race.
Wins seem to be determined primarily by the characteristics of particular tracks to particular cars and good old fashioned luck.
As a fan, the drama is top-notch.
Of course, YMMV.

We could talk about F1's lack of BOP and how Mercedes has won 90% of the races the last 3 years...

Originally Posted by z28lt1

qualifying at a 24 hour race virtually meaningless
ABSOLUTELY right on the money.

But if the difference comes down to within a second or two,hopefully the race is more interesting for all manufacturers and everyone has a chance at the win.
Here's to hoping the race authorities do as good a job as IMSA does with BOP.

Last edited by sunsalem; 06-13-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:24 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Happy Father's Day, bring home the bacon!
Old 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sunsalem
FWIW, I believe in the concept of BOP.
So do I and never said otherwise. I was commenting on the hilarity of fans of one brand complaining it's unfair when it hits them and then saying exactly the opposite when it dings the competition.

I was here about 10 years ago, when the C6R was totally dominant, then got solidly BOP'ed, which, of course precipitated a riot on this site.

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
Excited and ready to watch a good race.
Let's try to keep Ford's sandbagging in check this time around.
Are you suggesting that Ford is the only smart team? If you can't bluff you can't play poker.

I'm psyched as well, and will be streaming the entire 24 hrs on my big screen on Fox Sports GO.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-13-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

As an aside (and I mentioned this after all the posts about Corvette being slow at Daytona) the difficulty with BoP at Le Mans is that it is unique with low-downforce aero and cars will hit their top end. Since the only track close to it is Daytona, the organizers don't have much data to go on for how to get Le Mans BoP correct.

WEC has actually moved to an automated BoP system this year, all done by computer program but Le Mans and its uniqueness is excluded. Will be interesting to see how that works out...

Outside of Daytona, IMSA can generally use the same formula across the rest of the races making it easier (recognizing that some cars might be a little faster at one track than another, but on whole, it can be pretty close).
Foosh (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

^
Excellent point!
Old 06-13-2017, 03:45 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

My carrier doesn't offer FS2, so that's really cool...

I'm going to have to stream it all as well. I have FS1 one though.

Let's keep this thread going throughout the weekend as the official.

Last edited by \Boost Monkey/; 06-13-2017 at 03:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by \Boost Monkey/:
Foosh (06-13-2017), sunsalem (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 03:59 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Boost,

Go to this website on your "smart TV" or any other device:

www.foxsportsgo.com

Click on the program you want to watch, which will then take you to a login page to enter a username and pswd for your service provider, and the FoxGo website will allow you to live stream the entire 24 hours.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-13-2017 at 06:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
mjdart (06-13-2017), \Boost Monkey/ (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 06:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Well, check what I said above. It does work great on a lap top or mobile device, but when I tried to open the Fox Sports Go website on my Samsung Smart TV, it loads, then says "browser not supported." I'm going to speculate that they don't want it being used on big screen TVs because it would take away from viewing their regular feed on FS1 or FS2, the latter of which Comcast/Xfinity does not subscribe to.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-13-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:14 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Glad I have FS1 and FS2 on Directv.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Vettdetta
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It will be interesting to see the qualifying results on Thursday. I feel like the Fords will still sandbag, hoping to get a late BoP adjustment in their favor.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:32 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Well, check what I said above. It does work great on a lap top or mobile device, but when I tried to open the Fox Sports Go website on my Samsung Smart TV, it loads, then says "browser not supported." I going to speculate that they don't want it being used on big screen TVs because it would take away from viewing their regular feed on FS1 or FS2, the latter of which Comcast/Xfinity does not subscribe to.
This is crazy. One of the biggest, if not the biggest, cable outfit in the country doesn't carry FS1 or FS2. My little local cable company in Hagerstown, Antietam Cable, carries both and they are included in their HD package. Bummer for you. Sorry about that.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:36 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, check what I said above. It does work great on a lap top or mobile device, but when I tried to open the Fox Sports Go website on my Samsung Smart TV, it loads, then says "browser not supported." I going to speculate that they don't want it being used on big screen TVs because it would take away from viewing their regular feed on FS1 or FS2, the latter of which Comcast/Xfinity does not subscribe to.
FSGO Is available on Amazon fire tv, roku, Apple TV, and chromecast, so don't think they are concerned with screen size. Think some of the samsung stuff isn't quite there yet, but haven't tried with ours.

I often find it easiest to just run an hdmi cable from the laptop to the tv though, easier to login and switch cameras and such.
\Boost Monkey/ (06-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Racing at Le Mans this weekend

Old 06-13-2017, 09:07 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I just added FSG channel in Roku which gave me an activation # that is needed when you sign in (using my xfinity username/password) at foxsportsgo.com. Back to the Sony big screen and FSG opens with current programming. Screen size does not seem to be a factor.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:14 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

What I'm doing is plugging my laptop into my 4K 65" via HDMI and loading FOX sports go for the whole 24 hours.

I have Comcast as well, they suck. Who doesn't carry FS2?? Uverse, Dish and Direct TV do...
Old 06-13-2017, 09:16 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
This is crazy. One of the biggest, if not the biggest, cable outfit in the country doesn't carry FS1 or FS2. My little local cable company in Hagerstown, Antietam Cable, carries both and they are included in their HD package. Bummer for you. Sorry about that.
Comcast/Xfinity carries FS1, just not FS2.
Foosh (06-13-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Racing at Le Mans this weekend