Sponsored by:

Nano Coating Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:19 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Bondojohn
Last two corvettes I had for 3 yrs. I waxed them only once when I bought then. I drove them all yr long in the Midwest. When I traided them in they looked just as good as when I first bought them.
My friend has a black c7 and I have to hound him to wash it. I go over to his place about every 6 mos and we wash it together. I have to sort of force him to do it. It looks as good as mine when after drying it. I detail mine every day and his looks just as good for the most part. I just like to do it. Too much time on my hands. These modern clear coats on cars really do the job. His is 3 years old and hasn't ever waxed it.

Last edited by joemessman; 06-16-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:10 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Some things never change.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:36 AM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

A few weeks ago I spent 9 hours on paint correction and polishing. I then applied Kamikaze Miyabi Ceramic coating...The results were amazing. I never thought white could look so good..

-M

Old 06-16-2017, 09:23 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 71 Posts

If anyone had any nano or ceramic etc etc coating why don't you wax the car then take some masking tape and tape off that area. Then put this "super duper" coating on one side of the. hood. When you take the tape off you should be able to see if there's a difference. Anyone game??
Old 06-16-2017, 10:21 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

No reason to go to all that trouble. I frequently wash my C7 (CQuartz Finest-coated) and another one of our vehicles (well waxed) side-by-side. The difference in hydrophobic qualities is quite significant. The waxed vehicle beads up nicely, but on the CQuartzed surface the water doesn't even have a chance to bead because it rolls off the surface so quickly, leaving a mostly dry surface behind.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-16-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:49 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Bondojohn
If anyone had any nano or ceramic etc etc coating why don't you wax the car then take some masking tape and tape off that area. Then put this "super duper" coating on one side of the. hood. When you take the tape off you should be able to see if there's a difference. Anyone game??
That's not the point of coatings. Leave the tape on for 6 months and then see which one looks better. Coating offer a "barrier" from the elements and help protect against swirls of cars washed improperly. Like stated above, the hydrophobic properties are worth the effort alone. You can use a "boost" that normally comes with the coating to give the slick feeling everyone likes. Coatings left alone will usually not feel slick at all and sometimes actually feel like your fingers grab or stick on the paint. Wax will look awesome for a few washes but offer no real protection against swirls. Just my .02 cents worth but I've used many many diff products.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Joe_Joe
It's too cheap. To get a full paint correction, minus removing any orange peel, and then doing sealant should run you between $800 - $1000. I had my suburban done and it cost me in that range and it's guaranteed for 2 years.
At this rate wouldn't doing a protective film be an option?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

I'm not going to say anything bad about these super paint coating. They might be great toward a super finish that last for a very long time that "might" resists swirls . "But" here's a couple photos I took in front of my house of my vette that's about 3 months old and was only waxed by the dealer prior to P/U. I don't know how it could shine anymore and per my prior experience I believe it will last many years through many many car washes......

Last edited by Bondojohn; 06-16-2017 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (06-19-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:40 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Your car looks great.....now.
But it isn't a shine issue it's a paint protection issue. These ceramic coatings protect against swirling which eventually dulls the finish. They provide protection from elements that build up on your paint, dulling it over time. Some people don't care and think a coat of wax is all they need. Its this way with all kinds of newer technology. Some people feel "their way" is good enough no matter what comes along that is clearly better, and these coatings are far better. I highly recommend having it applied or doing it yourself with the consumer version. I had my Vette done by a pro and it cost. me 750. I then did my Audi myself and it is no more difficult than traditional was but will outlast wax by many many miles.

Last edited by LimeRay; 06-16-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Your car does look great, and there's no doubt anyone can make a vehicle shine w/ any old wax. It's the extra protection you're paying for with the high-end coatings, as well as the ease of maintenance over a long period of time.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:24 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Bondo here's my torch red after a fresh ceramic coat and boost. See the depth of the shine. It's the same angle and shot as yours. But the coating will protect way better. I resisted at first but once got Comfortable using them I'll
Never go back.
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2017, 12:08 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

if your right about resisting those nasty spider swirl marks than that's a big plus. I hate those. I had my new 16 Jeeb SRT done with Cilajet. I'll check it out and see how it looks.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 AM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I was taught at n early age how to detail like a pro. I just had my 2017 coated with Ceramic Pro. I would say that shine and the result when washing is slightly better than using Zanio (my best results to date). The difference between the Ceramic Pro and the Zanio is the Zanio will need a complete recoating 1-2 times a year and freshening every other time you wash the car.

The expense with having a professional coat your car is paint correction. There is two levels, buffing ($1000-$1500) and wet sanding to address orange peel (this can get very expensive, 3-4 times the $1000).

What you pay for with professionally applied ceramic coatings is paint protection and ease of care. My car has been washed twice and I have yet to touch it with a towel. Hose foam gun, hose rinse, blow water off the car. Now, I will have to towel the car but only about once every 3-4 washes.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by why1504
I was taught at n early age how to detail like a pro. I just had my 2017 coated with Ceramic Pro. I would say that shine and the result when washing is slightly better than using Zanio (my best results to date). The difference between the Ceramic Pro and the Zanio is the Zanio will need a complete recoating 1-2 times a year and freshening every other time you wash the car.

The expense with having a professional coat your car is paint correction. There is two levels, buffing ($1000-$1500) and wet sanding to address orange peel (this can get very expensive, 3-4 times the $1000).

What you pay for with professionally applied ceramic coatings is paint protection and ease of care. My car has been washed twice and I have yet to touch it with a towel. Hose foam gun, hose rinse, blow water off the car. Now, I will have to towel the car but only about once every 3-4 washes.
I don't think the clear coat is thick enough to buff all the orange peel out. I would think the clear coat would have be re-sprayed then re buffed. All this done prior to Sealent. I could see we're this process would be very expensive. But the the buffing could be avoided and just sealant applied for a great finish but it won't be glass smooth.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

The orange peel is bad in these cars and you're correct. It's not worth the effort or money to correct the orange peel. You can see in this pic by the sun light the peel is bad. I just correct the defects best I can and live with the orange peel.
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I'd have to agree. Reminds me when I brought my wifes c-class and the dealer offered a $300, interior protection. After some back and forth, I found out it was a can of scotch guard.

Originally Posted by Foosh
For the prices they are quoting, I believe they are selling snake oil. A really good paint correction and true ceramic coating will cost about double that.

What they are offering is nothing more than you something you can do in your own garage in a couple of hours.

Last edited by tcinla; 06-19-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I went with Feynlabs self heal lite. Not only is it nano ceramic coated. With a heat gun you can "heal" minor swirls/scratches

Here is a link to some photos of a recent scratch mod I had to remove

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lly-works.html

Get notified of new replies

To Nano Coating Worth it?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by why1504

I had my Grand Cherokee SRT done with Cilajet when new. . Cost around $800. It's about 9 months old. Shine is fine but It has allot of swirl marks. I would never pay that much again. I think it was a waste of money. . I might try one on the vette just for curiosity. Are there any ceramic coating that can be applied by us. I see many on Amazon. If so do all the swirl marks have to be removed first.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Check out Adam's ceramic coating. They have vids on their site on how to correct and apply. You will need to decon, clay or nano, pain correction, polish and then apply coating. Use the boost after 24 hours. Don't bother doing it unless you prep properly of you will not be happy.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by Streetrod782
Check out Adam's ceramic coating. They have vids on their site on how to correct and apply. You will need to decon, clay or nano, pain correction, polish and then apply coating. Use the boost after 24 hours. Don't bother doing it unless you prep properly of you will not be happy.
I'll check it out. Thanks for the info!!!

Quick Reply: Nano Coating Worth it?