Nano Coating Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:34 AM
ms.jfinity
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nano Coating Worth it?

Hello friends!

So a local high-end detailer is offering a full nano coating (opticoat pro 3d) procedure along with their standard package which includes:

-Full wash
-Clay bar / iron deposit removal
-Acryllic Paint Sealant
-Full analysis in depth with 500x magnification
-Paint restoration (35% defect removal)
-Interior workover steam clean and restoration to matte finish with long term effects and dust repellant
-Engine bay detail
-Full wheel restoration and sealing

Basically the full detailing package...but which lands at $279 for my car. But for $599 they can throw in a full nano coating workover, which supposedly adds shine/gloss and minor protection?

The treatment would come with the "Enhance" package here: http://www.vive-houston.com/Services/Detail/84
And this: http://www.vive-houston.com/Services/Detail/89

Does anyone have experience with nano coating and can stand testament that it is worth the $300?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by ms.jfinity; 06-15-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:37 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

For the prices they are quoting, I believe they are selling snake oil. A really good paint correction and true ceramic coating will cost about double that.

What they are offering is nothing more than you something you can do in your own garage in a couple of hours.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:41 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Foosh
For the prices they are quoting, I believe they are selling snake oil. A really good paint correction and true ceramic coating will cost about double that.

What they are offering is nothing more than you something you can do in your own garage in a couple of hours.
Exactly. Buy a decent sealant and do it yourself. I enjoy detailing my cars as long as it isn't 95 degrees. It really isn't that difficult. Read GlenE's instructions available on this forum.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

I should also qualify what I said above by explaining there are different "grades" of various ceramic coating products. The highest grade products are only available to professional detailers, are much more expensive, and are tricky to apply without a lot of experience, but they also last longer and offer better protection.

It sounds like they are offering a consumer-grade product anyone can apply themselves.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-15-2017 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (06-19-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 10:56 AM
phrenetiK
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

The local guy here does a 2 step paint correction followed by CQuartz UK ceramic coating for $325-350. Lasts for 2+ years and is not as hard to remove and redo as the formulas that fully bond to the clear coat.

The "true" ceramic coatings that cost 800+ are the dealer only coatings which cost a lot more due to their marketed and fake exclusivity. Now I do believe the pro coatings are actually a bit better, but all the stupid marketing and only having so many "approved installers" is pretty stupid. Eventually a company will come out with a pro version anyone can buy that is comparable to ceramic pro and cquartz finest.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:10 AM
ms.jfinity
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Kind of getting mixed opinions here, some saying that the price is too cheap to be legit and some saying it's actually more than other services in the area
Old 06-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Joe_Joe
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 89 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It's too cheap. To get a full paint correction, minus removing any orange peel, and then doing sealant should run you between $800 - $1000. I had my suburban done and it cost me in that range and it's guaranteed for 2 years.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:17 AM
phrenetiK
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Just noticed you're in houston, check out my bud and tell him Chris referred you. He does amazing work and has done my cars for the last 5 years. He is who I was referring to above.

should be around $350 for your vette as well

www.facebook.com/activeautodetail

Last edited by phrenetiK; 06-15-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:15 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

The nano coating is not worth the money, the $279.00 for the other work is fine if you do not want to do it yourself.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:55 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

To cheap, somethings off.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:12 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

This is just me, but for less than these prices you can likely get a clay mit, clay lube, orbital polisher, paint sealer, polish pads and polish, car wash kit, wheel cleaner, etc and then you can do this yourself multiple times a year and keep your car looking awesome for years to come. Chemical Guys, Adams Polishes, Meguiars, Zaino, etc, etc. All of them sell excellent products. If this seems intimidating there are loads of YouTube videos and forums that discuss how to do this yourself and save hundreds if not thousands of dollars over the life of owning your car. I use Chemical Guys and some Adam's products and my car looks showroom when I am done.

Last edited by thill444; 06-15-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:10 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

MInor paint correction can be done as described in above post

other than that, a basic coat of wax is far as Id go and Ill tell you why

More wax or wet look put on these cars the worse the car looks, just magnifies the orange peel.

Look at the some of the pics posted, the reflection looks horrible. Did this myself yrs ago with a special "black car only" product, it worked, too well.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:23 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Do it yourself and get to know your baby. Ceramic coatings are very easy to apply. I did everything you had done minus the engine detail, you could eat off my engine bay, in about 4 hours. I used Adam's ceramic coating but have used many others over the years. Here are the results.
Attached Images   
Old 06-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phrenetiK
The local guy here does a 2 step paint correction followed by CQuartz UK ceramic coating for $325-350. Lasts for 2+ years and is not as hard to remove and redo as the formulas that fully bond to the clear coat.

The "true" ceramic coatings that cost 800+ are the dealer only coatings which cost a lot more due to their marketed and fake exclusivity. Now I do believe the pro coatings are actually a bit better, but all the stupid marketing and only having so many "approved installers" is pretty stupid. Eventually a company will come out with a pro version anyone can buy that is comparable to ceramic pro and cquartz finest.
My detailer/film installer/paint corrector is one of most experienced in the country and also a good friend. He says otherwise about the different grades of ceramic coatings, and it truly is a matter of getting what you pay for. If it was "marketed and fake exclusivity," he would have been the first to tell me that.

Now if by "dealer" you mean car dealer, I have no doubts they rip you off with their supposedly superior products. No way you're going to get the type of paint correction and coating installation he did on my car for $350 unless he likes to work for free. He had my car for a week for paint correction and coating, and the coating was cured under lights he has for that purpose.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-15-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:59 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 71 Posts

Last two corvettes I had for 3 yrs. I waxed them only once when I bought then. I drove them all yr long in the Midwest. When I traided them in they looked just as good as when I first bought them.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (06-19-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 04:59 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 67 Posts

I use Chemical Guys Nano Shock every couple of months. I think the bottle cost me $20......

A very reputable local detailer got me onto the stuff.....works great.....

Last edited by z06vettewannabe; 06-15-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:22 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

[quote=Bondojohn][b]Last two corvettes I had for 3 yrs. I waxed them only once when I bought then. I drove them all yr long in the Midwest. When I traided them in they looked just as good as when I first bought

Hmmmm I bet to someone who is very **** about their paint they probably didn't look as good as you might think.

Get notified of new replies

To Nano Coating Worth it?

Old 06-15-2017, 05:40 PM
'Merica
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Best thing I've done to my black 2014 Z51! I had the Cquartz Finest done, and it was about double the price of what you were quoted. Paint correction and coating, they took their time on it and it couldn't have turned out any better. My paint is now better than any new car I've ever seen.

Last edited by 'Merica; 06-15-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

[QUOTE=Streetrod782;1594954160]
Originally Posted by Bondojohn
Last two corvettes I had for 3 yrs. I waxed them only once when I bought then. I drove them all yr long in the Midwest. When I traided them in they looked just as good as when I first bought

Hmmmm I bet to someone who is very **** about their paint they probably didn't look as good as you might think.

"So you don't think that I'm ****". Obviously you've never red any of my post. Check these titles and tell me I'm not ****.

#Misalignment Left Door Molding/#Stitching with Dash Molding/Stitching

#Protecting Leather in New Covertable???

#Removing torx screw without damaging paint inside slot?

#New Callaway Paint Problems."Saga Continues"

# "Bubbles in my stinger stripe"

#Paint orange peel going away??
Old 06-16-2017, 12:00 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by 'Merica
Best thing I've done to my black 2014 Z51! I had the Cquartz Finest done, and it was about double the price of what you were quoted. Paint correction and coating, they took their time on it and it couldn't have turned out any better. My paint is now better than any new car I've ever seen.

Wow. That's quite a shine. Looks " awesome ". Did they also machine polish/sand out all the orange peal to prep the paint for a sooth as glass finish prior to Cquartz application?

Quick Reply: Nano Coating Worth it?