C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Physically hurts to drive C7 > 200 miles

Old 06-19-2017, 10:03 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I'd see the Doc, just to eliminate any medical causes. Honestly cannot understand the chest pain due to driving unless you have a very unique driving position. Normally the steering wheel should be be too close nor too far away then driving....that being said, if you have pain level 8 out 10 after a couple hundred miles, I'd be looking beyond this forum for answers.

I had issue with my back when driving mine (Herniated discs, stenosis, spurs) and the like due to many years of running and physical activity. Physical therapy, and a seat adjustment eliminated that problem.

Hopefully it's something as simple as your diet and trapped gas/heartburn.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM
HKS350
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, See a Dr. 1st but I think I know the pain your talking about.

I'm mid 30's and this is my 1st C7Z car. Was an Import guy my whole life. I picked the comp seats and they are great but in order for me to feel like I'm seeing through the center of the windshield I adjusted the seat reclined back slightly more than I normally would and moved the seat all the way back. I'm 5'11". After about 45min drive my top abs are burning like I went to the gym for 2 hours. I adjusted the seat back almost straight up and issue went away. I had an S2000 that did the same thing and they make lower seat rails for that car. Which changed the viewing position lower and made seat adjustment easier. I've looked for the C7 and have not found anything yet as far as seat rails.

Good luck but it sounds like the same issue I have with the car and seating position.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Oh yeah my friend, the first thing is to check with your Doc. It's strange it doesn't happen in your other vehicles though. We had a similar problem on our first two test drives. My dearest has nerve damage in her back from a car accident, and the seats in both 2LT's quickly gave hers problems. By chance we test drove a 1LT, and there was no pain. So, we tried another 1LT and the results were the same. That's the main reason we bought the 1LT. The only variable I can see is the 1LT is sans heated/cooled seats, and I'm thinking the small panel that holds the cooling fan was causing just enough difference to aggravate the nerves. That's just some food for thought bud. I hope there's nothing serious, and you can figure this problem out soon.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Most people mention back discomfort - getting the wallet out of your back pocket (so you sit level) usually fixes that.

The off the cuff answer is the sheer adrenaline of the ride

Beyond that yea, might be worth a voluntary trip to the doc to ensure you dont have an involuntary trip to the ER...
Old 06-24-2017, 07:34 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

UPDATE: It's the seatbelt. I put a retaining clip on it so it rides a tiny bit slack, drove 400 miles today with no pain. I appreciate the advice, but I had this feeling it was a technical issue. I bought one of those strong binder clips which attaches to the seatbelt right this side of the retainer. That seems to have solved the issue.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:49 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
UPDATE: It's the seatbelt. I put a retaining clip on it so it rides a tiny bit slack, drove 400 miles today with no pain. I appreciate the advice, but I had this feeling it was a technical issue. I bought one of those strong binder clips which attaches to the seatbelt right this side of the retainer. That seems to have solved the issue.
Thats great news. Glad you found out what was causing the discomforrt.
The following users liked this post:
mschuyler (06-25-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 10:34 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
Thats great news. Glad you found out what was causing the discomforrt.

Glad to hear this!
mschuyler (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 11:38 AM
JimHarris4
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Doctor!

Originally Posted by Woodson
Chest pain an 8? Get to a Doctor today.
Agreed. I had tightness in my chest at 57 and it turned out to be severe heart blockage. 70, 80 and 100% percent blocked in the 3 main arteries. Needed five way emergency bypass! Don't wait. I know people who did who aren't here anymore.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:03 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I'm confused. The seat belt doesn't pull enough, IMHO, to cause a pain level of 8 out of 10 on your chest. At worse it might grind into your neck a bit given the angle. So either your statement of "I feel a pain of 8 on a 1-10 scale" was wildly off or you may still have a potential medical issue. It's nothing to take lightly, trust me. If your pain level was anything close to 8, or even 4 or 5 for that matter, then by all means have it checked out immediately by a doctor. Many here have similarly warned you. It really doesn't take that long to do and could save your life.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Good news indeed my friend.
mschuyler (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 05:56 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by defaria
I'm confused. The seat belt doesn't pull enough, IMHO, to cause a pain level of 8 out of 10 on your chest. At worse it might grind into your neck a bit given the angle. So either your statement of "I feel a pain of 8 on a 1-10 scale" was wildly off or you may still have a potential medical issue. It's nothing to take lightly, trust me. If your pain level was anything close to 8, or even 4 or 5 for that matter, then by all means have it checked out immediately by a doctor. Many here have similarly warned you. It really doesn't take that long to do and could save your life.
No, I wasn't exaggerating. I've had kidney stones. I know about the pain scale. I couldn't even turn a corner without working through the pain. The belt ads a few pounds pressure--not very many, but it is a snug fit and apparently enough. Just finished a second day driving 400 miles. No pain. Problem solved. Thanks.
Rebel Yell (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 07:18 PM
golddog
Melting Slicks

Received 2,894 Likes on 990 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I get this when I drive my cars. Happens when I keep my left arm up. I have inflammation in my sternum, also known at costochondritis. If flares up when using my arm and unfortunately I am a lefty. I just make sure not to keep it in the same place for too long. The slightest pressure for the seatbelt will irritate it. Not major pain, but a dull ache.

Last edited by golddog; 06-25-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:58 PM
cwing85b
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Seriously, Get this checked out with a doctor!!! March 15 this year I had serious chest pains that only stopped when I walked or went up or down the stairs. Three hours later I was having emergency heart surgery. Do not mess with this as it can kill you. Chest pain as you describe is not normal by any means!!!!! Note: I am 65 and in very good health (I thought)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:46 AM
defaria
Safety Car

No, I wasn't exaggerating. I've had kidney stones. I know about the pain scale. I couldn't even turn a corner without working through the pain. The belt ads a few pounds pressure--not very many, but it is a snug fit and apparently enough. Just finished a second day driving 400 miles. No pain. Problem solved. Thanks.
Properly operating, the seat belt should add zero pounds of pressure. I'm sure we all know about the pain scale and several people here think that an 8 on that scale means you go see your doctor - no ifs, ands or buts! What I don't understand is your reluctance to do so especially since many of us here have expressed our concern. But hey it's your life...
Old 06-27-2017, 11:59 AM
mschuyler
Safety Car

The seat belt definitely adds some pressure. It's a snug fit. It couldn't be much and I really don't know how to measure it. I appreciate your concern for my health, however, I suspected a mechanical/technical issue, and that's what it was. Just got back from Yellowstone with a third day of pain-free driving. I've not had this issue with any of my other vehicles, but I haven't driven them long distances either, so it's a little hard to pin down. If I die by seat belt, I just won't be here to irritate you. I'll miss my vette more than most people I know. In any case, thanks very much for your replies. I appreciate it. I consider the matter solved.
cor28vettes (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 12:12 PM
defaria
Safety Car

The seat belt definitely adds some pressure. It's a snug fit. It couldn't be much and I really don't know how to measure it.
Then your seat belt is not operating properly and you should get that fixed. But even operating incorrect, causing an 8 out of 10 level of pain should never happen from a damn seat belt! You're fooling yourself.

I appreciate your concern for my health, however, I suspected a mechanical/technical issue, and that's what it was. Just got back from Yellowstone with a third day of pain-free driving. I've not had this issue with any of my other vehicles, but I haven't driven them long distances either, so it's a little hard to pin down. If I die by seat belt, I just won't be here to irritate you. I'll miss my vette more than most people I know. In any case, thanks very much for your replies. I appreciate it. I consider the matter solved.
There are none so blind then those who simply refuse to see! Your pain with the seat belt may easily have been a momentary health issue that has went away at the same time that you supposedly found the problem. And could come back at any time. You refuse to state why you don't want to have this checked out by your doctor even though I, and many others here, are warning you! What's the reason you can't take an hour out of your day and spend it with your doctor to make sure this is not a health problem. When your body gives you a chest pain of 8 out of 10 then it's trying to tell you something. Why are you ignoring it? That's beyond me and I hope it's nothing but as I said before, it's your life... Just don't be foolish about it (and you currently are being foolish by sticking your head in the sand).
Old 06-27-2017, 02:02 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Good Lord, defaria, give it a rest. One thing I've learned on this forum is that there is ALWAYS someone who will argue with you, no matter what the topic. But you don't come to forums for either legal or medical advice and I did not post this issue asking for either. I thought maybe someone else had encountered something similar. I suspected a technical issue. That's what it was. It is now solved. Whether you think I ought to do something else is really none of your damn business and the fact is, you aren't any sort of expert. I categorically reject your advice and you choosing to insult me does not change that. It just shows your character. Now butt out and let the damn thread die.
Woodson (06-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Physically hurts to drive C7 > 200 miles

Old 06-27-2017, 04:08 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,057 Posts

defaria is like that. He is like a dog with a bone. Especially with tech issues like Navigation systems, etc. It doesn't upset me though because he gives me something to think about and cause me to revisit my position or belief on a subject.
defaria (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 05:33 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Good Lord, defaria, give it a rest. One thing I've learned on this forum is that there is ALWAYS someone who will argue with you, no matter what the topic.
I will give it a rest when *I* decide to - not when you or anybody else for that matter attempts to tell me to, much like you will visit the doctor when you decide to, not when others tell you to. The difference is I was suggesting, albeit strongly, that you go and not attempt to force you by saying something like - Go to the doctor now.

But you don't come to forums for either legal or medical advice
Don't tell me why you think I come here. You don't know that!

and I did not post this issue asking for either.
I really don't care whether or not you asked...

I thought maybe someone else had encountered something similar. I suspected a technical issue. That's what it was. It is now solved. Whether you think I ought to do something else is really none of your damn business
Of course it's my damn business! I can make anything I want my damn business - I do not require your permission...

and the fact is, you aren't any sort of expert.
Fact is I've already had heart surgery so it can be said I know a thing or two about it...

I categorically reject your advice and you choosing to insult me does not change that.
I didn't insult you or you have a very thin skin. We already know you make up what you think others believe or say despite what they say themselves.

It just shows your character.
Actually everything somebody says shows their character. You expose nothing new here...

Now butt out and let the damn thread die.
Sorry but I'm not taking orders from you. That said, honestly, I don't care if the thread dies or you die! So I'm no longer interested in this thread nor am I interested in your health. Have a heart attack for all I care anymore! I've done my best to give a medical warning where I thought it was warranted and you throw it back in my face. Thanks a lot! And I am not alone - the majority of people responding to your thread said the same thing. You're ignoring all of us. Fine. I suspect, however, that your "oh my the pain was like an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10" was vastly exaggerated which is the real point here and one that I asked you about and, of course, you ignored. So now I will ignore you.

Ba bye!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,356 Likes on 784 Posts

Wow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Physically hurts to drive C7 > 200 miles