Sponsored by:

Fiasco 500 mile oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:11 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Default 500 mile oil change

2017 Z-51. Took it in today to have the 500 mile oil change.
45 minutes went by and the service manager approaches me and says it's all done.
l go outside and open the hood to make sure alls well and that here's no "oil drips:... everything is nice and clean so I drive home ( 42 miles).

Once home, I waited about 10 minutes and then decide to check the oil. It was about at half an inch below the very bottom line of the checkered marks.
I triple check it and it still shows low, so I called the dealership, and they tell me to bring it back so they can check it. I immediately drive back to the dealership. The service manager checks the oil three times and says they didn't put enough oil in, so they put in about another quart and and it comes up to the middle of the dip stick where it says hot. Service manager is very apologetic and offers a detail which I politely decline (both inside and out) and I leave to come back home.After a 85 round trip (×2) I stopped for gas and before I shut the engine off I heard this whirring sound coming from the engine bay. I've never heard that sound before in the other C7 that I had, so I made a video while it was running.
It sounds like something's laboring/churning and doesn't sound normal to me.
Unfortunately when I try to upload the video, I am told it's in the wrong format. I used my Samsung S7 fwiw.

Another dealer perhaps?

Last edited by VNAMVET; 06-16-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

That's hardly what I'd call a fiasco. It's far more desirable than having an overfill situation. I'd have been happy about that.

As I and others have repeatedly said on this site, the best practice is to have the dealer only add 9 qts, and take the 10th home to adjust the level later.

Lastly, are you sure you didn't wait longer than 10 minutes before checking? You need to check precisely between 5 and 10 minutes after engine shutdown from an oil temp above 175 degrees because the oil drains pretty quickly back down into the oil pan. If you check it too long after it may not even register on the dipstick.

I'm also pretty sure the sounds you heard are normal.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-13-2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
owc6 (06-15-2017), VNAMVET (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,711 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Make sure you're following proper oil dipstick checking procedure with the dry-sump.

Last edited by Kracka; 06-13-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:22 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kracka
Make sure you're following proper oil dipstick checking procedure with the dry-sump.
Yes. My car came with a plastic collar around the oil cap showing temp and time needed prior to checking oil level.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:25 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's hardly what I'd call a fiasco. It's far more desirable than having an overfill situation. I'd have been happy about that.

As I and others have repeatedly said on this site, the best practice is to have the dealer only add 9 qts, and take the 10th home to adjust the level later.

Lastly, are you sure you didn't wait longer than 10 minutes before checking? You need to check precisely between 5 and 10 minutes after engine shutdown from an oil temp above 175 degrees because the oil drains pretty quickly back down into the oil pan. If you check it too long after it may not even register on the dipstick.

I'm also pretty sure the sounds you heard is normal.
Waited 8 minutes after shutting down engine., using my phone stopwatch. Temp was 198....

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:26 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

My Z51 makes lots of sounds after shutting off, including a whirring sound. It should be fine.

Honestly, I am surprised you drove 42 miles each way (84 miles total) so they could add a quart of oil
The following 4 users liked this post by thill444:
$$$frumnuttin' (06-20-2017), DAC17 (06-13-2017), SloboGS (06-14-2017), VNAMVET (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 05:22 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thill444
My Z51 makes lots of sounds after shutting off, including a whirring sound. It should be fine.

Honestly, I am surprised you drove 42 miles each way (84 miles total) so they could add a quart of oil
Yep.......I was so pissed off and I thought that they didn't believe me so I turned right around and went back down just to prove that they were incompetent....... and I like driving my new Corvette.... I had to go through two torrential rain storms where you couldn't even see three feet in front of the car that lasted about 25 minutes also.
June sucks in Florida.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:32 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Been following dealer issues with oil changes in dry sumps since I got my September 2013 built Z51. First I heard of an underfill! You're lucky-most overfill, cause oil to burp with the air from the dry sump tank to the air intake tube.

From there is runs down to the air filter, soaks it then drips on the ground! That oil also goes past the mas air flow (MAF) sensor and contaminating it is not good! Have not heard many saying the dealer changed as that would be on their dime!

And some folks worry about using an oiled cotton low restriction air filter because it "could contaminate the MAF." Oiled properly it won't and the amount of filter oil is very small compared to that causing it to flow back and drip on the ground!

Do my own oil changes including just did the 500 mile change on my new Grand Sport. Avoids horror stores (and I like to do it!)

Last edited by JerryU; 06-13-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:50 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

I guess I am lucky that I can change my oil, or should I say my son can change the oil for me in the garage. I don't mind buying the oil and filter knowing that it will be done correctly.
The following users liked this post:
SloboGS (06-14-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU
Been following dealer issues with oil changes in dry sumps since I got my September 2013 built Z51. First I heard of an underfill! You're lucky-most overfill, cause oil to burp with the air from the dry sump tank to the air intake tube.

From there is runs down to the air filter, soaks it then drips on the ground! That oil also goes past the mas air flow (MAF) sensor and contaminating it is not good! Have not heard many saying the dealer changed as that would be on their dime!

And some folks worry about using an oiled cotton low restriction air filter because it "could contaminate the MAF." Oiled properly it won't and the amount of filter oil is very small compared to that causing it to flow back and drip on the ground!

Do my own oil changes including just did the 500 mile change on my new Grand Sport. Avoids horror stores (and I like to do it!)
After. My 1st C7 was a 10/13 build. Had minimal oil in the intake. Installed a catch can in that one.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RMS73
I guess I am lucky that I can change my oil, or should I say my son can change the oil for me in the garage. I don't mind buying the oil and filter knowing that it will be done correctly.
Yep 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 at Walmart $23-$25. Mobil rebate $12/jug, two allowed. ~$2.50/quart!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:46 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

What a pain in the @$$. Yet another reason to change it yourself, if you can. Not worth the time and aggravation to give them the opportunity to goof it up.

I will add that there's no way in hell I would have driven another 84 mile round trip to let them get the level up unless I had to drive the same distance to buy a quart of oil to add it myself, but I can understand your desire to get it to the proper level ASAP.

If you live near me, I'll change it for you the next time.

Last edited by lakemg; 06-13-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:48 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 at Walmart $23-$25. Mobil rebate $12/jug, two allowed. ~$2.50/quart!
Rebate was a killer deal, too bad I max'd out on the limit...
Old 06-14-2017, 12:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lakemg
Rebate was a killer deal, too bad I max'd out on the limit...
Looks like they run it twice a year, worth investing in "inventory" for the next fill! If you need more, perhaps "your significant other" should buy another 2 jugs!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-14-2017 at 12:24 AM.
lakemg (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 12:38 AM
Bmbl-Bee
Burning Brakes

Received 355 Likes on 187 Posts

If it was low on oil, I don't think I would have driven it back to the dealership for them to top it off. I am going to do my own oil changes on my new Grand Sport. There is a small expense there but in the end if it is screwed up the only person I have to blame is myself, not some 16 year old minimum wage earner at the dealership.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:50 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Just FYI for all you DIY-ers. Keep receipts and good records. I take it to the dealer for 2 reasons:

1) It automatically gets entered into GM records that my car was serviced per requirements, which is important both for warranty reasons, and for possible future resale for a future owner, who is probably going to want to see those GM records. I will continue to do so as long as the powertrain warranty is in effect.

2) Investing in ramps or a lift will take the car's lifetime of dealer oil changes to pay back, and my time is more important in terms of both the change and oil disposal, etc.

A few simple instructions before, and checks after, a dealer oil change will preclude any damage from dealer incompetence.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
4thC4at60 (06-15-2017), cambrown47 (06-14-2017), ZenicaPA (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 01:41 AM
sparky973
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Just FYI for all you DIY-ers. Keep receipts and good records. I take it to the dealer for 2 reasons:

1) It automatically gets entered into GM records that my car was serviced per requirements, which is important both for warranty reasons, and for possible future resale for a future owner, who is probably going to want to see those GM records. I will continue to do so as long as the powertrain warranty is in effect.

2) Investing in ramps or a lift will take the car's lifetime of dealer oil changes to pay back, and my time is more important in terms of both the change and oil disposal, etc.

A few simple instructions before, and checks after, a dealer oil change will preclude any damage from dealer incompetence.
Yup, I like the put in 9 and I'll take the last quart idea.
cambrown47 (06-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Fiasco 500 mile oil change

Old 06-14-2017, 01:53 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

I alway ALWAYS check the oil level after every oil change BEFORE I leave the dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxie2U:
cambrown47 (06-14-2017), vbdenny (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:54 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by RMS73
That's the quandary. I also DIY oil changes, but have already paid for the "free" oil changes you get with a new car, so I'm not willing to let that go. I had my first 500-mile oil change done on the road driving back from MacMulkin, but I didn't just stop in at any dealership. I called the VA Corvette Club and asked for advice, and when I described my route a dealer in Roanoke was recommended (Berglund), but "only by a certified Corvette tech." They did an excellent job and even showed me the dipstick level after heating the oil to 175°.

Now that I'm back home I'm already pondering my next "free" oil change for next March, and I'm already sweating the prospect. There are four Chev. dealerships within 10 miles of me and I don't trust any of them. There are two about 35 miles away that I trust marginally, so I have nine months to decide. I will first try to find one local dealership that will give me the oil and filter for a DIY, but I'm not holding out hope for that idea to succeed.

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I alway ALWAYS check the oil level after every oil change BEFORE I leave the dealer.
Same here, and while the engine is running check for leaks, especially around the filter. One local dealer left the filter seal on the engine of a friend's C7, thus installing the new filter with two seals, and he found a puddle on his garage floor the next day. That's one of the local dealers I don't trust. It's rare for a seal to remain on the engine, but a competent tech is supposed to check that!

Later edit: I was driving by the dealer closest to my house only an hour ago and stopped in to ask a SW about their oil-change policy. It went like this:

Me: Would you give Mobil 1 and a filter to an owner to do himself under the Chev. Complete Care program?
SW: We only have bulk oil here.
Me: Is it the GM branded oil?
SW: Yes.
Me: So you don't have any Mobil 1 in stock?
SW: No.

This is the dealer who told a friend with a C7 his free oil change would be Mobil 1 after he specified it while the invoice showed bulk GM Dexos. They are also the dealer who double-sealed his oil filter.

Last edited by iclick; 06-14-2017 at 01:26 PM.
vbdenny (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 01:20 AM
Bmbl-Bee
Burning Brakes

Received 355 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
That's the quandary. I also DIY oil changes, but have already paid for the "free" oil changes you get with a new car, so I'm not willing to let that go. I had my first 500-mile oil change done on the road driving back from MacMulkin, but I didn't just stop in at any dealership. I called the VA Corvette Club and asked for advice, and when I described my route a dealer in Roanoke was recommended (Berglund), but "only by a certified Corvette tech." They did an excellent job and even showed me the dipstick level after heating the oil to 175°.

Now that I'm back home I'm already pondering my next "free" oil change for next March, and I'm already sweating the prospect. There are four Chev. dealerships within 10 miles of me and I don't trust any of them. There are two about 35 miles away that I trust marginally, so I have nine months to decide. I will first try to find one local dealership that will give me the oil and filter for a DIY, but I'm not holding out hope for that idea to succeed.

Same here, and while the engine is running check for leaks, especially around the filter. One local dealer left the filter seal on the engine of a friend's C7, thus installing the new filter with two seals, and he found a puddle on his garage floor the next day. That's one of the local dealers I don't trust. It's rare for a seal to remain on the engine, but a competent tech is supposed to check that!

Later edit: I was driving by the dealer closest to my house only an hour ago and stopped in to ask a SW about their oil-change policy. It went like this:

Me: Would you give Mobil 1 and a filter to an owner to do himself under the Chev. Complete Care program?
SW: We only have bulk oil here.
Me: Is it the GM branded oil?
SW: Yes.
Me: So you don't have any Mobil 1 in stock?
SW: No.

This is the dealer who told a friend with a C7 his free oil change would be Mobil 1 after he specified it while the invoice showed bulk GM Dexos. They are also the dealer who double-sealed his oil filter.
Good post. Many good points. The Chevy dealers I have talked to here in the Las Vegas area only have there lube techs do the oil changes. Like a lot of things here in Vegas, I wouldn't trust the dealers as far as I could throw them. If I could find a dealer that would let a service tech do the work I would be all in. Good point on the bulk oil. How do you take a quart home if it is in bulk? I am guessing that the dexos oil is bulk and the dealer uses Mobil 1 in quarts--is this correct? It would be fantastic if the dealer would provide the oil and filter for a diy then record it in there system.

Quick Reply: Fiasco 500 mile oil change