GM drops the mic in an email about a Lemon Law claim - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM drops the mic in an email about a Lemon Law claim

Old 06-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
DAVE396LT1
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,013 Times in 678 Posts
Default GM drops the mic in an email about a Lemon Law claim

So I have a vehicle that I think qualifies for Lemon Law (last trip to the shop was >30 days on that visit alone), but GM offered me only one year of OnStar for free. I declined. Here's their response!

General Motors realizes that a consumer not only purchases a GM vehicle because of its high quality, but also for the exceptional customer assistance that comes with that product. I apologize that the decision was not in accordance with your wishes, however, this is the final decision of General Motors and we will no longer address additional communications on this subject.

In other words, don't call us, and we won't call you.

I have five GMs newer than 2015, but I've got a feeling this is my last one. That's just a dick move, GM.

I'll stop by a LemonLaw website, there are tons of attorneys out there that do it for free, but I'd hoped to just deal with GM directly. No dice!

Anyone else run into this kind of hard attitude? Not exactly "exceptional customer assistance".
DAVE396LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Flame Red
CF Senior Member

Lemon it if it qualifies under your state's law.

GM is not the only manufacturer with this attitude. I had an Acura and they suck too. Similar note, except they worded it a bit nicer. Something like, Acura thanks you for your correspondence and will take your experience into consideration for future Acura products, but we are not going to fix the problems you have reported.

I'll never buy another Honda or Acura product ever.

Last edited by Flame Red; 06-19-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Flame Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
AORoads
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Sorry to read of this, Dave. As to Honda, it's been a very long time, but I still recall the way they treated me on a motorized vehicle. Not so funny thing is, I still don't, or ever have owned a Honda since.
AORoads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AORoads For This Useful Post:
z51vett (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
NSC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Well,
Copy that response to Mary Barra's email address with your addendum summarizing your past GM ownership and noting that you will now be communicating with other corporations for your future new vehicle purchases.

That communication you received looked like something composed by an intern working for a start-up firm that isn't long for the world. GM apparently has forgotten the lessons they should have learned during their previous bankruptcy.
NSC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

I guess Doug ruined it for everyone with his door gap complaints.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
snide (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
DSOMrulz
CF Senior Member

You need to look up your state's lemon law procedures, and follow those. What anyone else tells you doesn't matter.
DSOMrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
DAVE396LT1
CF Senior Member

Sadly I think I'm 2K over WA state lemon law (I'm now at 26K, law ends at 24K). Depends if they define it as when the problem starts or when it goes over 30 days of service.

I sent it off to 1-800-LEMONLAW online today, but in looking afterwards I don't think they do WA state.

Anyone in WA got a Lemon Law attorney referral?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #8
AORoads
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Dave, here with a google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=lemo...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Second, I'd try your local consumer affairs agency---also ask them the question re a) what they can do for you, b) if he problems started before 24 mos. does it still qualify for Lemon Law, and c) do they have a list of local Lemon Law attorneys?
AORoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #9
justplainjim
CF Senior Member

Don't contact GM anymore. Start the lemon law process.
justplainjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #10
Jeffer
CF Senior Member

bet they jerked you around until the mileage was over the limit

they are not entirely stupid Jeff
Jeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #11
SMT1004
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Very similar experience with a 2016 Subaru Outback. Subaru tried fixing my problem 3 times then said it was 'normal'. Never will go near another Subaru product again.

Definitely pursue your case with an atty., hopefully it starts at documentation of problem first occurring.
SMT1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:15 AM   #12
slhawkins
CF Senior Member

http://www.atg.wa.gov/general-lemon-law

Quote:
What is the Eligibility Period?
For a defect to be covered under the Lemon Law it must have had at least one attempt to diagnose or repair under the manufacturer’s warranty and during the Lemon Law’s “eligibility period.” If your Request For Arbitration includes a claim due to ‘days out of service’, the Lemon Law requires that at least 15 or more days must have occurred during the “eligibility period.” See Claim Categories Under The Lemon Law.

The Lemon Law “eligibility period” is not a set time frame. It is often shorter than the manufacturer’s warranty coverage (a manufacturer warranty must cover at least 12 months or 12,000 miles). The “eligibility period” is determined by a mileage limit and a time limit. An ‘attempt to diagnose or repair’ a defect occurred during the “eligibility period” if it was diagnosed or repaired:
  • Within 2 years from the original retail delivery date and
  • Before the vehicle reached 24,000 miles of operation.
I would take that to mean that if you had the problem and the car was in the shop before 24k miles (even though it's now over 24k miles), you would be covered.

Last edited by slhawkins; 06-20-2017 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Changed formatting
slhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
OnPoint
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,396 Times in 822 Posts

Dave, what is it they are having difficulty fixing?
OnPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
vbdenny
CF Senior Member

I had 3 Lexus cars previously. IF you want a dependable car that won't break, they are the one to get. I knew buying a Chevrolet (as I've had several before) that a lot more things break on GM cars than Toyota cars but I wanted a Corvette so there we are. The extra fun is worth the extra issues usually.
vbdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vbdenny For This Useful Post:
AORoads (06-20-2017), itaylorm (06-20-2017), lgodom (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #15
dbintegrity
CF Senior Member

Get a lemon law lawyer... The manufacturers work with them... I had these issues with my Ford.... and I eventually got 7K back before fees... (I netted 250 LOL) Got rid of my Ford and now I'm with Chevrolet and Dodge...
dbintegrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #16
DAVE396LT1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnPoint View Post
Dave, what is it they are having difficulty fixing?
Air Conditioning. Took over a month to get and replace the condenser, and it worked for about 2 days after getting it back. Heading back in today to drop if off again.

Unfortunately for me, in WA state, 15 days of the problem period must occur within the "eligibility window" which ended 2000 miles ago. I don't think I meet that criteria.

I doubt there's much I can do, but I'll see if I can find a Lemon Law lawyer for WA state.

- Dave

Quote:
I had 3 Lexus cars previously. IF you want a dependable car that won't break, they are the one to get.
I've had Lexuses (and Audi and Mercedes and BMW) before, they're no more problem-free than the current GMs. They just treat you better when they break, but they're not any better quality in my opinion. Am I really defending GM while they're screwing me? Yup, I guess I am.

Last edited by DAVE396LT1; 06-20-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #17
ZenicaPA
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I am utterly speechless. That response in and of itself is deserving of the full weight the lemon law will afford you.

Personally I have had Acura vehicles for 20+ years, never an issue. I decided to give GM a try as my Mom was an ardent GM supporter and begged me to buy domestic again. Well if she was still around, we'd have a conversation or two about her misplaced trust. My Enclave was a POS after 30k miles. My Volt started to show signs of following in the Enclaves footsteps after just 2 years so it too had to go. Now I have just the Z06 and honestly, it has been in for service 9 times in 14 months with #10 scheduled this week.

I'm looking at another sports car if this Vette is going to spend more time with the dealer than with me.

Good luck, keep us posted.
ZenicaPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #18
OnPoint
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,396 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 View Post
Air Conditioning. Took over a month to get and replace the condenser, and it worked for about 2 days after getting it back. Heading back in today to drop if off again.

Boy, that would seem to be something eminently fixable. Seems like it was a while ago that keeping an AC running reliably took some effort. But those days are long passed.

Hopefully you got just a couple fluke components and they'll get you buttoned back up in short order.

Last edited by OnPoint; 06-20-2017 at 10:25 PM.
OnPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #19
bjones7131
CF Senior Member

Look in the little warranty book and use the BBB website address and start the lemon law process through them (BBB). I did it last yr and GM bought my 16 stingray back. Wasn't really that difficult, you have to pressure them and be persistant. Good luck
bjones7131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #20
z28lt1
CF Senior Member

Seems like in addition to the number of days, Washington State would consider it a Lemon if 4 or more attempts to fix the problem existed, with only 1 required in the eligibility period. Are you at 2 at this point or has there been more?

--------------------------------------------------------

1. Unrepaired Nonconformity
A ‘nonconformity’ covered by a manufacturer warranty where:

The ‘nonconformity has been subject to diagnosis or repair four or more times including at least once during the period of the manufacturer’s written warranty and during the“eligibility period” (see What Is The Eligibility Period?)
The nonconformity continues to exist
The consumer sent a written request to the manufacturer asking for repurchase or replacement of the vehicle
The manufacturer failed to respond or did not reach a resolution with the consumer within 40 days.
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • GM drops the mic in an email about a Lemon Law claim
  •