Sponsored by:

GM is PITIFUL - 2017 C7Z Out of Service/Broken for AT LEAST 1.5 Months

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:21 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default GM is PITIFUL - 2017 C7Z Out of Service/Broken for AT LEAST 1.5 Months

GM sucks and doesn't give a damn about existing, loyal customers. Prior thread provided below discusses my 2017 C7Z with 8,000 miles being at my dealer and out of service due to a failed water pump. They will have had the car 3 weeks this Friday.

They were supposed to have pumps available yesterday, 6/19. Got a call from my dealer that they just received an email from GM stating it will be at least another two weeks.

IF they get one in two weeks, which I doubt, my car will be out of service for 1.5 months for a damn water pump.

There is not one to be had in the entire USA. The SOB's are building cars daily to sell to NEW customers while existing customers with broken cars get kicked to the curb.

Pumps have to be available at the factory in order to build new cars but they won't send any to get loyal, existing owners back on the road. Further hard to comprehend their indifference as ALL C7 Corvettes use the same pump!!!!

They told me their supplier is redesigning/recasting the pump and that is why NONE are available. It's just BS. How are they building new cars if there aren't any water pumps.

JUST ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE.

I bet if a GM executive needed a water pump he'd have it in less than a day.

I believe after buying 4 Corvettes in the last 10 years this will be my last. Time to go car shopping. This is far from the first time they've displayed complete disdain for their customers. I've spent over $320,000 on Corvettes in 10 years and this is how they treat their customer. I'M JUST LIVID.

I've missed two track days I had to pay for in advance with no refund and had to cancel a car focused road trip/vacation due to GM.

I contacted Customer Service and they opened a "case" but that was an exercise in futility and a joke. They said they felt my pain but they needed to get the new cars off the line and to dealers. They stated "THEIR SYSTEM" doesn't allow them to send one from the factory. Pretty impressive system.....

JUST SO SAD THEY THEY DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT A SITUATION THAT COULD BE RESOLVED IN ONE DAY WITH AN OVERNIGHT SHIPMENT FROM THE FACTORY.

If GM still monitors this forum, which I doubt, they can reach me at (918) 630-4544 or rheck@***.net. My Chevrolet Customer Assistance Case number is: 8-3021440373.

Quite the oxymoron, "Chevrolet Customer Assistance"......

FYI, my Dealer has done everything they can to get GM to resolve this issue with no success. They are as frustrated as I am.

My prior thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...le-in-usa.html

Last edited by rikhek; 06-20-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Popular Reply

06-24-2017, 09:11 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

On Tuesday, 6/20, I sent Mary Barra a professional and factual email fully explaining my situation and dissatisfaction with GM's response. I included a link to this thread.

Yesterday morning, 6/24, I got a phone call from the Corvette Quality Brand Manager in Pontiac, MI. He informed me my email had been forwarded to him. The brand manager stated the response by GM was not appropriate or acceptable. He echoed in strong terms leaving a customer without his car due to an unavailable part while they were building new cars daily was not right. He said a pump should have been sent from where the factory gets their pumps OR directly from the factory. The quality control brand manager was upset and sincere and stated this should have been resolved with the local/regional GM employees and it shouldn't have had to reach his desk.

The manager stated he would be taking charge and handling this issue himself and that he would have a pump at my dealership early next week, Monday or Tuesday. It was a refreshing 30 minute phone call and honestly what I expect from GM at the local/regional level.

I have had some significant mechanical issues with the past 2 Corvettes I've owned and have been treated extremely well by GM on these issues. They couldn't have done a better job. This is what has me so frustrated and "forced" me to start this thread. I know they can, and typically do, provide a high level of customer service. I can live with "issues" as it's a machine and machines break. How a company deals with resolving the "breaks" is critical.

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from the service manager at my dealership stating he had good news in that "he" had been successful and will have a pump for me by Monday afternoon, 6/26. I didn't inform him of my behind the scene actions, my email to Ms. Barra or my conversation with the quality control brand manager. I did find his call amusing and thanked him for "his" efforts. I want to point out that my dealer was actively involved in getting me a pump but it was the squeaky wheel that got the grease. The hard part is getting to someone who really cares and takes action.

The car has been out of service 3 weeks as of yesterday but I believe I'll have it back Tuesday, 6/27. What a pain in the *** but nice to know when you eventually get to a person who cares at GM that they expect the people below them to pull out all the stops to take care of their customers and make "things" happen despite the red tape and bureaucracy inherent to large corporations.

I'll keep you all updated....

Rick
Old 06-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Seems to be a common theme around here these days...

Check your lemon laws in OK and lemon it if you qualify. Many states let you trigger after 30 (work) days out of service. You are close...
Old 06-20-2017, 12:32 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 587 Likes on 518 Posts

I'd be highly disappointed as well..

-Josh
Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

lemon law it.

/done
The following users liked this post:
spinkick (06-23-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:48 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Lemon law. I bet GM will have the dealer pull a water pump off the lot on a new car vs go through Lemon Law process and eat your car.

You have every right to be livid. These are not $15K Cobalt's.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Wow, that sucks. I would start the process too. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2017, 01:02 PM
curve65
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 178 Posts

They ought to pull one from one that's sitting in the lot and then discount that car a tad when a new one comes in. Btw GM and the dealers surely they ought to figure this out. What a crock, I feel for you. Heck, with all the dough they've made they could send one corvette to each dealer and tell them to use it as a parts car until they actually get some parts in stock.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:21 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Believe it or not the only reason I'm driving a 2017 C7Z is GM bought back my 2015 C7 Z06 as it was a problematic car which spent more time in my dealers garage than mine. I DID NOT want to buy a 2017 but wanted a car that I could drive, not have sitting in my dealers service department. That's not what I got.

Again, I'm the idiot for thinking it would be different this time around. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...

Last edited by rikhek; 06-20-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:48 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Just looked on eBay and saw one for under $100. Easy fix. If it was mine, I'd order one and get the car back home and fix it myself. Just did one on one of my LS1s and it's about a 6 pack job with decent tools. $120 after fresh coolant.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:54 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Just looked on eBay and saw one for under $100. Easy fix. If it was mine, I'd order one and get the car back home and fix it myself. Just did one on one of my LS1s and it's about a 6 pack job with decent tools. $120 after fresh coolant.
Or order is and make GM install it and reimburse you.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Rick, that's a shame. I suspect you've probably had the car more than a year and explored the OK lemon law statute. I just looked and was shocked to see it's only good for one year from delivery.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-29-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:08 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thill444
Or order is and make GM install it and reimburse you.
Guys,

I wish it was that simple. The Ebay "pump" as well as what's available from Rock Auto and others is just the pulley and impeller. I need the entire water pump casting. It's not available from ANY dealer in the USA.

Further, the entire pump is not available from any after market supplier as they are not making them. It's OEM or nothing.

My linked thread goes into detail describing this. The original complete pump that came with my car is not available for purchase as it's "out of stock". A "new" pump is being recast by a GM supplier. The recast pump is not available and they keep extending the date it will become available. The original pump and the "new" one a different part numbers with a design change. Problem is I can't even buy the original/old design ANYWHERE.

Hell, I've even tried to find a used one with no success.

I could care less about the money if one was available to purchase. I'd eat the cost.

I've spent MANY hours trying to source a pump with no success.

Last edited by rikhek; 06-20-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:08 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Probably needs gaskets, but these new type of gaskets would probably be fresh enough to re use the original ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371816727509

Last edited by DAFFYDRUNK; 06-20-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:12 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Probably needs gaskets, but these new type of gaskets would probably be fresh enough to re use the original ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371816727509
FWIW, the pump offered by JC Whitney on eBay for $90 is just the pulley and impeller. These are readily available. The entire water pump including "manifold" is what is unavailable.

I need part number:
12678128 (original) or 12681259 (new one being recast).

Last edited by rikhek; 06-20-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

You probably have already looked - but I suppose you could yank one off a wrecked car and use it until the new one becomes available.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:19 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Foosh
Rick, that's a shame. I suspect you've probably had the car more than a year and explored the OK lemon law statute. I just looked and was shocked to see it's only good for one year from delivery.
Clay,

I've only had the car about 7 months. Oklahoma Lemon Law stated out of service for 30 business days in a row and they have to buy it back.

Tick-tock. Hell, this would be two in a row that I give back to them. Probably time to swing by the P car store as this is getting old.

Rick
Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OnPoint
You probably have already looked - but I suppose you could yank one off a wrecked car and use it until the new one becomes available.
Yeah, I've made dozens of calls trying to source one from a junk yard/recycler but can't find any seller willing to sell just the pump. I've found complete engines....

Get notified of new replies

To GM is PITIFUL - 2017 C7Z Out of Service/Broken for AT LEAST 1.5 Months

Old 06-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Clay,

I've only had the car about 7 months. Oklahoma Lemon Law stated out of service for 30 business days in a row and they have to buy it back.

Tick-tock. Hell, this would be two in a row that I give back to them. Probably time to swing by the P car store as this is getting old.

Rick
Yes, if I were in your shoes, and had to lemon law two in a row, I wouldn't be taking a third either. P car would probably be my choice at this point as well.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:28 PM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

I concur with the above posts. Lemon law. 45 days is a joke and consumers need to do their part to hold corporate America responsible, something we fail to do in so many cases. Try not to take it so personally though, while I understand you are very upset (I would be too) don't let it get the best of you. ; )
Old 06-20-2017, 03:04 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Just wow. The Z has been out for what, two years?

Quick Reply: GM is PITIFUL - 2017 C7Z Out of Service/Broken for AT LEAST 1.5 Months