C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our C7'S have 460HP and 650HP when do you think HP will start to decrease?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
A bit of hyperbole on your part.

Engineers in the 60s through the 80s could only dream of building a high horsepower car that can get 20-30 MPG HWY. Today's Corvettes deliver that kind of return.

I think high horsepower cars will continue to be available in the future. If anything, Tesla is proving an electric car doesn't have to look and perform like a golf cart.

Try diunitial thinking (and/both) as opposed to dichotomous thinking (either/or).

The rise and evolution of electric cars, hybrids, and alternative energies doesn't mean these things will supplant cars like the Stingray or get rid of internal combustion engines overnight or even over the next decade.

Progress is not the enemy of the past or the present.

As Edmund Burke once opined, "a society without the means to change is without the means of its preservation".
I have bought and sold many Tesla's, including a P100D most recently, and while it looks "ok" and the big screen inside is sort of cool, it sounds just like my golf cart, in fact, I think they used the same exhaust system.

I think you read a little too far into my comment or maybe you work in the electric car biz....but nothing I say or feel about it is going to guide the industry or the world one way or the other, same goes for you. I never said electric cars will "take over overnight," lol. They more than likely won't even be a factor in my life (and I am in my 30s) but that doesn't mean I can't poop on them if that's what I want to do.

I was raised on valve events and if the intake and exhaust lobes don't cross then I don't want it. I don't really care if you think that means I am against change, I'm not, but it doesn't mean I need to enjoy all change in order to accept it. Electric cars represent the mindless, numbing of society, just one more thing to remove from our senses. Just sit here and ride to work....to the store (oh yeah, amazon), or whatever. Just the next step in releasing control of something else we can see and hear and feel. Whir around in your plastic box, what direction will you redirect your inspiration and aspiration? Learn to play guitar? Paint pictures in your backyard? Hell with that. A Tesla or other electric provides stimulation only to the sense of touch/feel up to 60mph. After that, very average car, and worse in many ways, unless you're a tree hugger, which I am not. I would feed my Z06 redwoods if I could.

Get a sense of humor. BTW, the car you pictured in your post looks terrible.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:24 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think "combustible engines" should be banned immediately, but I hope the internal combustion engine sticks around for awhile.
haha, good catch
Old 06-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,226 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Will hp decrease - probably so at some point. But perhaps technology will advance too to where we can enjoy the same or better performance levels with less power levels.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I have bought and sold many Tesla's, including a P100D most recently, and while it looks "ok" and the big screen inside is sort of cool, it sounds just like my golf cart, in fact, I think they used the same exhaust system.

I think you read a little too far into my comment or maybe you work in the electric car biz....but nothing I say or feel about it is going to guide the industry or the world one way or the other, same goes for you. I never said electric cars will "take over overnight," lol. They more than likely won't even be a factor in my life (and I am in my 30s) but that doesn't mean I can't poop on them if that's what I want to do.

I was raised on valve events and if the intake and exhaust lobes don't cross then I don't want it. I don't really care if you think that means I am against change, I'm not, but it doesn't mean I need to enjoy all change in order to accept it. Electric cars represent the mindless, numbing of society, just one more thing to remove from our senses. Just sit here and ride to work....to the store (oh yeah, amazon), or whatever. Just the next step in releasing control of something else we can see and hear and feel. Whir around in your plastic box, what direction will you redirect your inspiration and aspiration? Learn to play guitar? Paint pictures in your backyard? Hell with that. A Tesla or other electric provides stimulation only to the sense of touch/feel up to 60mph. After that, very average car, and worse in many ways, unless you're a tree hugger, which I am not. I would feed my Z06 redwoods if I could.

Get a sense of humor. BTW, the car you pictured in your post looks terrible.
Hard to show humor in a forum post, so I took your post the way you typed it.

I am far from a tree-hugger myself and I am not in the electric car business. I am merely stating that Tesla is providing a vision of the future that is happening now. Personally, I would not buy a Tesla. At least not right now. You might not like how the car I posted the picture of looks, but that is your opinion. I think it looks pretty sharp.

I think for a very long time, electric cars, hybrids, and internal combustion cars will coexist before either of the first two offerings become dominant enough to supplant the internal combustion engine permanently. Assuming that ever happens. Nothing is certain and absolute certainty is privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics.

I don't think you personally are against change, I was merely pointing out that things change and usually with good reason. I respect your opinion, even if I do not agree with it, so "poop on electric cars" all you like
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

At some point there will be a leveling off in HP because at this rate (with a 707 hp hellcat) 1000+ hp will be available in a production car. At what number do some people yell danger?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think "combustible engines" should be banned immediately, but I hope the internal combustion engine sticks around for awhile.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by L1FRDOG
I'm going with the first year Mid-Engine!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

When the tree huggers take back the house, senate and presidency.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate
Our system of checks and balances and the lobbyists will prevent such things from taking place too soon.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:44 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate
Please leave these types of comments out of here, and take it to the Off Topic loony bin if you feel compelled to get into politics.
The following users liked this post:
Chemdawg99 (06-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Our C7'S have 460HP and 650HP when do you think HP will start to decrease?