C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muscle cars tailgating you on the freeway..how do you react?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:10 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Ignore it. You CANNOT change their behavior, so by reacting you're only putting yourself at risk.

It sucks, I know, but it's just the cost of driving a Vette. If nothing else, remind yourself that because of the seating and mirror position it always looks like the car behind is a lot closer than it is (relative to how it'd look if you were driving a Tahoe, let's say).

They won't run into you (most likely). So just complete your overtake, move right, and let the nuts go by.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:18 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I move over, or pull over. No games for me. Not worth it. I just move to AZ and totally amazed at all the pickup trucks that are trying to read my license plate. Pick up drivers here must have an affinity for license plates here in AZ.

Last edited by joemessman; 06-23-2017 at 03:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
woodsguy (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:24 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
I am in the fast lane passing a car in the middle lane and some asswipe in a stang or camero or rice burner is riding my tailgate close I mean like stupid close.

What about ya'll?
Whenever I hear someone use the term "Fast Lane" I interpret that as someone that rides in that lane continuously (because they are always going faster than everyone else).

It is in fact a passing lane ONLY. You pass..move over, then pass again if necessary, then move over and so on. You ride the left lane and you'll find people riding your tail as a way to educate you to move over and get out of the passing lane.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1SG_Ret:
vbdenny (06-23-2017), woodsguy (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:52 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
It is in fact a passing lane ONLY. You pass..move over, then pass again if necessary, then move over and so on. You ride the left lane and you'll find people riding your tail as a way to educate you to move over and get out of the passing lane.
Testify! There should BE no one behind you in the left lane unless they zipped right up behind you the moment you pulled out to pass. And unless they were behind you in the prior lane, if someone zips up behind you, it's kind of because you cut them off...

The notions of "I'm going fast enough" or "I'm already over the speed limit" or "No one needs to go faster than this" should be punished. Severely.

And I don't even drive that fast, but I know how to stay out of the way of those that do...

Last edited by davepl; 06-23-2017 at 03:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by davepl:
06nine (06-23-2017), beaversstonehaven (06-24-2017), chas70 (06-24-2017), Foosh (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:55 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't get how it would be 100% their fault for hitting you if you tap you're brakes. Brake taps are arguably more unsafe than tailgating itself. Complete your pass, then move out of the lane. Let 'em go be stupid somewhere else without adding to it.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:08 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Whenever I hear someone use the term "Fast Lane" I interpret that as someone that rides in that lane continuously (because they are always going faster than everyone else).

No dude I know it's the passing lane and I am only there when I pass. I guess what happens is when I am going pass the car in middle lane the muscle car sees me and accelerates to catch me while I am "passing" the slower vehicle.

I guess ya'll are right i should just finish that pass and move to the right but it does **** me off. Maybe it's the steroids I'm on that gets me a bit testy.

Last edited by gixxerbill; 06-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:10 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

I'll either speed up and pull away or I'll move over. On occasion I have hit the emergency flasher button quickly which looks like a brake check, but speed stays the same.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Ramapo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
If I feel that I'm going more than fast enough (always am) and they're just doing it to **** me off, not get around me. I just downshift and slow down as much as possible without using the brakes. Hopefully match speeds with the person in the next lane to **** them off. Then when they go around. Resume course and speed. Same goes for traffic racers and blind-spot-riders. I never just cruise in the left lane, unless I'm in a line of traffic that's cookin.

Going WOT just to prove a point is a waste of time, energy and risk. I'm sure (in your situation) they are just looking for a demonstration. Why give them what they want?!
Yup, just looking for a demo.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

First if you floor it, they may actually be faster and show you up. Not sure if you own a Z06.

Second, there may be a cop watching and pull you both over for racing. In my state you loose your license and possibly your insurance

Finally, just pull over to the right and let him pass. Safer for you. You really have nothing to prove
Old 06-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I know this happened to ya'll because it happens to me all the time. I am in the fast lane passing a car in the middle lane and some asswipe in a stang or camero or rice burner is riding my tailgate close I mean like stupid close. One way of dealing with it is tap the brakes but I am scared to do that because what if they fark up and hit me and then my car is a repair shop and it shows up on carfax.

So what I do is I nail it, I mean I like to leave them in the dust to show them I am first pissed off they tailgated me and 2nd that their car is no match. I get a ways ahead of them and then I shut it down and just let them fly past me I don't care don't want to get busted for racing. Plus stangs or some rice burners sometimes are terrible drivers it's just not worth taking them on to put me or anybody else at risk when they fark up.

What about ya'll?
I could give a crap. What is behind me doesn't concern me. Even if it is an 18 wheeler on my bumper and all I can see are the bugs smashed on its grill. If you let people like that bother you you are the victim. I had somebody pull up behind me at night with his headlights blaring into the car when I was driving in the left lane of a 3 lane section of interstate. He/she rode back there for about a mile before they decided to pass to my right. That was when I saw it was a cop car. If I had accelerated away like you intimate you would do I would have been given a very quick ticket and helped make the guy's quota.

Bill

Bill
Old 06-23-2017, 05:43 PM
isulliva
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 16 Posts

Just slow down and go the same speed as the guy next to you. Really pisses them off lmao
Old 06-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

true that but some asshat hitting the back of my vette isn't a little thing to me.
First, unless you antagonize them there is a little chance they will hit you. If they would hit you from behind, it is their fault and then you can sue them for damages. Don't stress!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:14 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 605 Posts

Just ignore them...by punching it you are responding to their egging you on...not worth getting arrested and/or wrecking for them idiots. If they really want to race you take it to a track or drag strip...
Old 06-23-2017, 06:16 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The problem with someone tailgating you in a Corvette is you can stop faster than 95% of the people on the road so if something happens you are going to get crunched.

My view is there are enough crazies on the road that if someone is coming up fast while I am passing in the left lane I will usually speed up a little to complete the pass HOWEVER my goal is always to get around traffic and back in line quickly. I have been behind far too many people who pull out in the left lane going about 2 MPH faster than what they are passing. As Stephen King once advised in an interview, "Don't f**k with crazy people" and I take this advice to heart. i.e.: http://video.foxnews.com/v/548028678...#sp=show-clips

A funny tailgating story from another thread was someone kept tailgating which meant he couldn't see what was in front of the other car. The lead car saw a complete truck tire and wheel in the lane and shifted lanes just in time and the tailgater of course hit it. All the lead car saw in the rearview mirror was flying car parts and fluids from Mr. Tailgater
Old 06-23-2017, 06:30 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

I just make sure I'm passing the car at a decent rate. If there's no one behind me then I just maintain my cruise speed. If I see someone coming up then I'll bump it up 2-3 mph if it seems appropriate.

I will say I've had more tailgating episodes with the C7 than my C5. Most of the time they are just wanting to get on down the road a lot faster than I do (otherwise I would have seen them).

And then you occasionally have the satisfaction of passing them 5 miles later with the fancy blue lights behind them.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-23-2017, 06:40 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

I just move over after I complete the pass and let them impress themselves.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:58 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Maintain speed or move right. Life's too short..

Get notified of new replies

To Muscle cars tailgating you on the freeway..how do you react?

Old 06-23-2017, 08:04 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Maybe it's the steroids I'm on that gets me a bit testy.
You mean the steroids make you little testes, not a little testy.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Don't hate me.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:27 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Maintain speed or move right. Life's too short..
And always signal your lane changes.

If you've got a guy tailgating you, this tells him, "I'm moving over. I'm not interested in racing you."

Old 06-23-2017, 08:52 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

If I'm in the passing lane I'm PASSING other cars.... If you tailgate me you're being rude and impatient, so......When top is off and if I'm in a jaunty mood sometimes I'll wave to them.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 06-24-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Muscle cars tailgating you on the freeway..how do you react?