Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering failed

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:51 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I called GM and obtained a case# - I doubt they'll do anything for me since my car didn't display a code after the incident but perhaps if enough of these start showing up at the dealer and owners call they'll issue a fix.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:17 PM
VistaVette
Pro

My car just failed again. A 2 mile drive from my office to the bank, pulling into the parking lot it stopped working. Just as last time, it started working again once I turned off the car and restarted it.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:54 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Were you able to snap a picture of your DIC?
Old 07-01-2017, 06:30 AM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
Were you able to snap a picture of your DIC?
Yes. I have one from yesterday and the first time it happened on Monday. I'll get the car back to the dealer and see if the system logged a code this time.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:07 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Update: I brought the car in today and the code came back steering positioning sensor. I have an appointment on Thursday to have it replaced
Old 07-04-2017, 08:26 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by VistaVette
Update: I brought the car in today and the code came back steering positioning sensor. I have an appointment on Thursday to have it replaced
Glad to hear that they are finally acknowledging your issue. Did they already locate a new unit to replace your defective one? Last I heard, they still can't find one for me.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:37 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by daixloxbmw
Glad to hear that they are finally acknowledging your issue. Did they already locate a new unit to replace your defective one? Last I heard, they still can't find one for me.
First, I don't think the original service tech scanned my car properly. My regular service writer, who was absent the first time, said that if the DIC shows a message then there will be a code. The small OBD scanner he had in his office didn't pick up any codes but another machine in the shop did, which tells me the first guy didn't do his job.

Anyway, I guess the sensor is in stock and he said they'll put it in Thursday.

Don't they want to replace your whole steering unit or is it just a sensor like mine?

Last edited by VistaVette; 07-04-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:47 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

First, I don't think the original service tech scanned my car properly. My regular service writer, who was absent the first time, said that if the DIC shows a message then there will be a code. The small OBD scanner he had in his office didn't pick up any codes but another machine in the shop did, which tells me the first guy didn't do his job.

Anyway, I guess the sensor is in stock and he said they'll put it in Thursday.

Don't they want to replace your whole steering unit or is it just a sensor like mine?
Ahhh, maybe that's the difference. For me, they said they need to replace the entire rack and control module, which apparently is a single unit.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Ahhh, maybe that's the difference. For me, they said they need to replace the entire rack and control module, which apparently is a single unit.
Yeah, they said mine is a steering position sensor... Time will tell.

I hope yours gets fixed soon. Do you have your car or did they jail it while waiting for parts?

Last edited by VistaVette; 07-04-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:11 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Yeah, they said mine is a steering position sensor... Time will tell.

I hope yours gets fixed soon. Do you have your car or did they jail it while waiting for parts?
Thanks, same to you. She has been in jail since 6/28. I planned to take her on a July 4th road trip but took a Subaru Forester loaner instead...
Old 07-06-2017, 05:39 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Well - the saga continues. I had it in just before the holiday and they came up with the code for a bad sensor. Now tech told the service writer that there are no codes and they can't do anything and wanted to send the car back to me. The service writer has a copy of the code it pulled and told the tech to not give up on this issue. I had kept a detailed log of this issue with pictures of the DIC and emailed them to my writer; who sent it to the tech; who in-turn will call GM.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:00 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

More than likely a handheld scanner will not work. They should have a MDI or a MDI2 to diagnose global A cars, which the C7 is. They may also want to check to see if there is an updated cal for the eps. Make sure there are no other codes stored either as current or history.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:14 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by 3X2
More than likely a handheld scanner will not work. They should have a MDI or a MDI2 to diagnose global A cars, which the C7 is. They may also want to check to see if there is an updated cal for the eps. Make sure there are no other codes stored either as current or history.
I got the car back today, my service writer said that the tech called General Motors with the code that had been pulled on the past visit plus the symptoms and they advised him to update the some sort of code in the steering system and reset the DIC. I guess time will tell if the problems actually fixed or not.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:29 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

It would be interesting to know what the update did. I suspect they just widened some parameters to keep the computer from crippling the eps. Hopefully that'll actually fix the problem, but you'd think they'd do enough pre-production testing to get stuff like this right.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:20 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

do you know the code?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:58 AM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by 3X2
do you know the code?
Nope.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:22 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Seems strange that it is not documented on the repair order.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering failed

Old 07-07-2017, 09:23 AM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by 3X2
Seems strange that it is not documented on the repair order.
It might be documented there. I actually don't have a copy of the repair order right now as the service writer said he was going to leave it open and just leave it on his desk for a while and see if this problem returns so that there's not a separate I repair. I'm not exactly sure why that matters but that's what they wanted to do.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

From my thread...

Update: The GM rep was able pull a unit off the assembly line and it is currently being shipped to the dealership. It should arrive on Monday and promptly replace the defective unit. If all goes well, I should be able to pick it up on Tuesday after they complete a comprehensive road test.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM
VistaVette
Pro

From my thread...

Update: The GM rep was able pull a unit off the assembly line and it is currently being shipped to the dealership. It should arrive on Monday and promptly replace the defective unit. If all goes well, I should be able to pick it up on Tuesday after they complete a comprehensive road test.
Good to hear. Hopefully we're both taken care of

Quick Reply: Power steering failed