C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty. Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:21 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Extended Warranty. Yes or No?

As with many 2014 owners approaching, or have hit the 3 year 36000 mile mark of the bumper to bumper warranty. I'm wondering how many have opted to extend their factory warranty? And, has anyone had to use it? If so, were there any hassles or unpleasant surprises?
What say you?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 PM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm really interested in this as well. I have less than 500 miles on mine and was quoted about 1500 and and estimated 3k if I wait until the 36k is almost up. My issue is I have no clue how many miles I will put on it each year so it may not be worth getting at any point.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:11 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

I have a 2014 that is past the three year mark. Extended the warranty and had to use it last month. All went well. Purchased thru Fichner.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:14 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I personally never get an extended warranty on anything, but especially cars. I've had maybe one issue (ABS EBCM) with my C5 that *may* have been covered, but I doubt it even then. And the repair (get EBCM rebuilt) would still have been less than the cost of the warranty, not even thinking about any deductible.

But I know there are people that really like them; it's just a matter of perceived security (you won't know until you have to use it) vs. cost and hassle factor (who honors the warranty?).

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (06-28-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 09:18 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I purchased another 7 years thru Fichner for my almost 3 yr old '14. With shop rates at $125+ and expensive parts.... I'll sleep better with it.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:23 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I bought the 10 year Platinum for $1800, I believe, at the time of purchase. And I'm someone who outright laughs at the moronic nature of extended warranties, but I did some math, and I thought that was very cheap. In fact, since he'd started out asking something like $3500 I thought it was an error on their part at the time.

I'd only get the platinum though, if you care about anything other than the engine, because the other tiers have so many exclusions so as to be useless. Read them carefully.

I figured I only needed ONE thing to go wrong in the 10 year period (outside the factory warranty) to be worthwhile. Nav screen, rear diff, steering rack... you name, it's hard to have a component failure be less than $1800 at a dealership these days.

Totally against my nature, which is only to insure against the catastrophic. I self-insure for everything else. But the numbers added up somehow at the time!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:25 PM
LanceVette
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

I did the extended warranty. Early 2015 model. Dealer suggested due to the extensive electronics that our C7's have, and with my plans to keep her for a while, it made good sense for me. Peace of mind I guess.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:41 PM
marc4427
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 47 Posts

I did the extended with my 2014. My C6 Nav stopped working and my extended warranty replaced it with a new one . That's the reason I decided to purchase again especially with all the electronics this car has. I also knew I wouldn't be tuning my car , supercharge, etc...
Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

I bought an extra 8 years from a Forum vendor a month before my warranty ran out. I generally don't believe in them but this was a first year GM car and it is rather complex. Being that the only warranty work was the squealing brakes, I may not need it but a couple of repairs and I am ahead.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:53 PM
2kvetmy
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have bought them for 4 Corvettes,and, never used them,but. like others have said: peace of mind due to expense of any repair on the vettes
Old 06-27-2017, 10:02 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I bought the 10 year Platinum for $1800, I believe, at the time of purchase. And I'm someone who outright laughs at the moronic nature of extended warranties, but I did some math, and I thought that was very cheap. In fact, since he'd started out asking something like $3500 I thought it was an error on their part at the time.

I'd only get the platinum though, if you care about anything other than the engine, because the other tiers have so many exclusions so as to be useless. Read them carefully.

I figured I only needed ONE thing to go wrong in the 10 year period (outside the factory warranty) to be worthwhile. Nav screen, rear diff, steering rack... you name, it's hard to have a component failure be less than $1800 at a dealership these days.

Totally against my nature, which is only to insure against the catastrophic. I self-insure for everything else. But the numbers added up somehow at the time!
Where'd you get a 10 year for $1800?
Old 06-27-2017, 10:56 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

You buy insurance because it's a crap shoot. You never know, so if peace of mind is the deal, I will never fault anyone for doing it, BUT...a couple of points.

1. Extended warranties are a revenue stream. The insurance provider is betting heavily that you won't have issues. He's 'in the business' and has run the actuarial numbers. Overall, he's going to win and you are going to lose. Otherwise, he would not stay in business.

2. Electronics, if it is going to fail, will fail within a year, or it won't fail until its end-of-life. Look at any graph of electronics failures and you will see the failure rate peak at about six months than rapidly decrease to the base line where it stays until the 10 year mark, where it starts to increase again, slowly. Most all the failures occur within the bumper to bumper period, and when the failure rate starts upwards again, it's just beyond the Extended Warranty period as well. You lose again.

Extended warranties prey on FUD: your own fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Given the facts of the situation, buying one is not a rational decision. But if that's what floats your boat. you don't need to be rational. Just do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
Corgidog1 (06-28-2017), Vetteram (06-30-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:34 PM
twowinns
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a 2014 with a Certified Pre-Owned warranty expiring in October. I plan to buy an extended Platinum GEPP warranty in September. I only plan to purchase an additional 4 or 5 years of coverage, but feel the premium is very reasonable.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I've already purchased a GMEPP extended warranty. I wouldn't buy an aftermarket warranty, not worth it, but I had intended to extend the GMEPP plan from the moment I bought the Corvette as I plan to keep this one for a while.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:15 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Exactly and why I have never bought an extended warranty and never had a need for one.
Originally Posted by mschuyler
You buy insurance because it's a crap shoot. You never know, so if peace of mind is the deal, I will never fault anyone for doing it, BUT...a couple of points.

1. Extended warranties are a revenue stream. The insurance provider is betting heavily that you won't have issues. He's 'in the business' and has run the actuarial numbers. Overall, he's going to win and you are going to lose. Otherwise, he would not stay in business.

2. Electronics, if it is going to fail, will fail within a year, or it won't fail until its end-of-life. Look at any graph of electronics failures and you will see the failure rate peak at about six months than rapidly decrease to the base line where it stays until the 10 year mark, where it starts to increase again, slowly. Most all the failures occur within the bumper to bumper period, and when the failure rate starts upwards again, it's just beyond the Extended Warranty period as well. You lose again.

Extended warranties prey on FUD: your own fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Given the facts of the situation, buying one is not a rational decision. But if that's what floats your boat. you don't need to be rational. Just do it.
mschuyler (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 08:18 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Good for peace of mind, and transferrable if you ever sell the car.

If you plan on keeping a car long term, it's a no-brainer for me. Was bitten once for not buying an extended warranty. Price a nav, electric diff, or transmission, and you will get my point.

Still a matter of personal choice. There is no right or wrong answer here.
FLATJ (07-01-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

$1,800/$3,500 is a good chunk of first year depreciation. Average three thousand dollars over the factory three year bumper to bumper period (which is considerably better than extended warranties currently offered) and your trade-in value increases portionality. Trading every three years keeps your warranty concerns in check. When buying your new car, purchase only options that will return some of their original purchase price to keep depreciation loss to a minimum. Reference; Kelly Blue Book.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranty. Yes or No?

Old 06-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Dennis Fichtner
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 80 Posts
Default 10 Year?

News to me also that you can get a 10 year Platinum Plan, I sell these daily and have never in my 4 years of selling GMEPP Platinum Plans seen a 10 year plan. The most offered now is 84 months so would be very interested if in fact it was a 10 year plan!!
767 cap (06-30-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
As with many 2014 owners approaching, or have hit the 3 year 36000 mile mark of the bumper to bumper warranty. I'm wondering how many have opted to extend their factory warranty? And, has anyone had to use it? If so, were there any hassles or unpleasant surprises?
What say you?
I didn't read the whole thread, but I thought I'd add my two cents with a very simple adage I learned in the Army...

It is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Two cents given.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by mschuyler

Good advice, but people often don't think they need insurance until they need it.

That's the whole problem with the health care debate, but I won't debate that point here. My point is this...

Sure, you can save the money to have something repaired should it fail. You already have to do that with tires, brakes, etc. However, to suggest that there is no point or value at all in an extended warranty and that it is just pure profit for GM/the dealership/etc. is not exactly true in all cases.

There are good arguments for and against extended warranties for cars.

My argument is that it is better have and not need than to need and not have.
woodsguy (07-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty. Yes or No?