C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arctic White 2016 Stingray with Warranty Block!!! New Owner in Akron Ohio!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 02:45 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

OP. see below quote. That's where you start, you contact your MV agency and file a complaint against the selling dealer as misrepresenting the facts. ANY CAR DEALER in the country does not play with in any way, their license to sell cars.. I've worked in this business in NYC. and when someone came in, wasn't happy with the end result and complained to the DMV? Heaven and Earth was moved to rectify it.. From looking at what i read relation to Ohio, it appears to have same end result "problem resolved".

good luck, keep us posted.

Dealer Licensing in Ohio
OH Dealer Licensing

Page Overview
Application Procedure
Business Site Requirements
Site Inspection
Fees
Maintaining Your License
More Resources
Verified As Of: 7/2/2017 ?
Advertisement

The requirements for obtaining your dealer license in Ohio vary according to what you are intending to sell. The state has different requirements for dealers of new, used, and all-purpose vehicles, as well as motorcycles.
We'll take a look at the requirements for a new car dealer. But, if you are interested in selling other types of vehicles, the state provides a website for auto dealers that provides information on dealer requirements.
According to Ohio regulations, anyone who intends to be in the "business of offering for sale, displaying for sale, or selling at retail or wholesale used motor vehicles or assume to engage in that business," must obtain a dealer permit. The permit for a new motor vehicle dealer also allows the dealer to sell used cars on an "incidental" basis.
Even if you don't intend to be in the motor vehicle business, you will have to obtain a dealer's license if you sell more than 5 vehicles, even privately, within a period of 12 months.
Application Procedure

Complete and notarize the proper application. The Ohio BMV provides a full list of forms; however, you'll most likely need either:
New vehicle dealer form: New Motor Vehicle Dealer Application (form BMV 4322).
Used motor vehicle form: Used Motor Vehicle Dealer Application (form BMV 4320).
Include a financial statement proving the business has a net worth of at least $75,000.
Include photographs of the lot, sign, and office at the business location.
Complete the Statement of Manufacturer/Distributor Franchise. This form must be completed by you and the manufacturer of the vehicles you will sell.
Applicants for used motor vehicle dealer licenses must complete an authorized classroom or online course in order to be eligible for the license.
Note: A great resource when applying for your license is the Motor Vehicle Dealer Licensing Information and Instructions, prepared by the BMV. It offers a checklist of needed documents, along with explanations of each, and an explanation of where your fee money goes, among other things.
Send your completed application and other paperwork to:
Dealer and Salesperson Licensing Unit
P.O. Box 16521
Columbus, OH 43216
The following users liked this post:
dmaxx3500 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 05:58 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default One other relatively easy step to try

Send the dealer you bought it from a (registered) letter with (important here) a cc to an attorney, which they see with the letter stating, roughly the following:

a. restate the circumstances/events up to this time
b. end with; "If we cannot arrive at an equitable solution you will force
me, upon advice from legal counsel, to resort to a legal response. I sincerely hope this issue can be
solved to our mutual satisfaction and thereby avoiding any needless escalation."

Between this calm and measured response AND the dealer being aware that (at least by appearance) you have engaged an attorney it may be the push they need to solve this problem.

I have used this option three times involving fairly serious financial concerns (bank, contractor, home repair and a retail store) and 3 out of the 4 times it worked perfectly. The 4th? He went out of business on a different issue/customer.

Good Luck Sir: thumbs:

Last edited by dbirdhouse1; 07-02-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

As soon as you lawyer up, they will stop talking to you. if you want to settle it between the 2 of you, try talking with them first, and if they balk, THEN lawyer up.

Lawyers are like nuclear weapons, everyone has 'em and as soon as you use 'em, everyone is f8cked.

Just my .02

Last edited by Thunder22; 07-02-2017 at 06:41 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Thunder22:
cam30era (07-03-2017), DogTag-C7R (07-13-2017), JDM111er (07-02-2017), jschindler (07-14-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 05:01 PM
TonyAkron
Heel & Toe

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
As soon as you lawyer up, they will stop talking to you. if you want to settle it between the 2 of you, try talking with them first, and if they balk, THEN lawyer up.

Lawyers are like nuclear weapons, everyone has 'em and as soon as you use 'em, everyone is f8cked.

Just my .02
Wise words Thanks for them Thunder22 & everyone

I hear all of you and am willing to get a lawyer involved as well as contact the BMV/Chamber if need be but it does seem like Prestige is at least trying to make this right.

Bret at Prestige just a few minutes ago and left a nice message that said they are working on finding out why the block has been put on by contacting the previous owners. He said that they will take care of the situation whether it be removing the block, getting a warranty that is equal to or better than the GM Warranty, and go as far as finding a comparable car to this one if need be (with Warranty in place I assume)... sounds promising but the proof is in the pudding - we shall see.

On another note - a supervisor from GM Warranty Service STILL hasn't called me to give me an update. Really on the ball over there, not. I'm going to call them Wednesday after the holiday.

Until the next update, Happy 4th everyone.

Last edited by TonyAkron; 07-03-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:01 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

It might be a Spring Mountain car. I didn't read the entire thread so I apologize if this has already been mentioned.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:44 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Getting the block lifted could be big money if a spring mountain car. More than car would be worth. GM commonly requires whatever the reason for the block to be replaced with a new OEM part (think crate engine trans rear etc etc) by a certified GM dealer.

can't wait to hear outcome. For a real mystery on your hands but sounds like dealer doing right by you regardless.

always have legal options if they flounder. Don't forget about your DMV licensing division. No lawyer involved. You list the complaint and they right for you. And it's a one sided fight as in govt vs private company.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I've never heard of a warranty block lifted on any vehicle once imposed.

Tony, I'd be very careful if they offer you some other substitute warranty. It quite likely won't be what it appears, and you'd probably find yourself in the future fighting the warranty company with them citing GM's warranty block.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-03-2017 at 07:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
767guy (07-14-2017), cam30era (07-04-2017), woodsguy (07-03-2017), \Boost Monkey/ (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 07:59 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Tony, I'd be very careful if they offer you some other substitute warranty. It quite likely won't be what it appears, and you'd probably find yourself in the future fighting the warranty company with them citing GM's warranty block.
gm isn't going to lift the warranty block. A third party warranty is only going to cause you future headaches in the future.

The only thing I would do anything this point is return or exchange the vehicle.
woodsguy (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 08:49 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

They will Lift the block in some circumstances. At least have done it once that I know of.

from what was explained it was regional rep in end brokered deal and has a lot of say in what gets done.

My buddy who owns a performance shop and assisted a customer in this scenario that's how I found out about this. In the beginning, was warranty block and guy was F-d.

Original owner did a cam in a 14 C7. Puts stock cam back. Sold to another guy.

That guy has engine issues. GM reads ECU sees it's been rewritten. On tear down identify issue. GM puts powertrain block on car. Guy fights with GM for 3 months. GM response, have Chevy dealer replace engine with crate engine block will be lifted.

The new owner got original owner to foot Bill for crate engine because wasn't disclosed. Messy situation but resolved in end.

the OP car sounds like more involved considering all the blocked labor old. Magazine car? Show circuit or something. OP says too clean to be spring mountain?
Old 07-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Somehow, I don't see an independent dealer springing for a new LT1, and all the other lengthy negotiations that would have to happen w/ GM to make that happen.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:46 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

I bet the selling dealership offers a "comparable to GM" warrantee providing service is done there. Problem is what happens when the car craps out away from a reasonable distance from dealership? Can you trust the dealer? Can you trust the car? ALSO will you be able to transfer warrantee when you sell it in 6 months? You'll probably have a hard time getting rid of it if a Car Fax is done by the prospective buyer.
There is no upside to holding onto this car.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:10 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
I bet the selling dealership offers a "comparable to GM" warrantee providing service is done there. Problem is what happens when the car craps out away from a reasonable distance from dealership? Can you trust the dealer? Can you trust the car? ALSO will you be able to transfer warrantee when you sell it in 6 months? You'll probably have a hard time getting rid of it if a Car Fax is done by the prospective buyer.
There is no upside to holding onto this car.
That's exactly what they're gonna try. People get emotionally involved with these cars, and I hate to say it, but it kinda sounds like they might be able to con the OP into some worthless "compatible to GM" 3rd party warranty.

The only valid solution is get 100% of the money back. Too much money to get soaked, and too many other C7s out there to fall in love with. Once the OP gets a proper replacement, he'll be over this one immediately.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:35 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

I doubt the used-car dealership in question is capable of doing powertrain work on a C7. Thus, no aftermarket warranty is going to get anyone around a GM powertrain warranty block.

Moreover, every aftermarket warranty I've ever seen is written such that the factory warranty is primary while still within the warranty period, which is 5 years in the case of powertrain.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-04-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:56 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Who gives a **** why the warranty was blocked?

Dude, the car is a land mine and has already thrown a CEL in the short time you have owned it... how much more of a giant red flag do you need?? That CEL saved your *** OP, don't ignore a blessing and return the damn car.

OP is wasting his time when there is only one proper end-game here.

Dealer is stalling and trying desperately to find another out that allows OP to keep the car (BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT IT) like the other 5 dealers that offloaded it.

NOT TO MENTION, Prestige likely got this car for SUPER cheap, and OP probably paid full market price for it... Prestige likely made a killing on this car at the OP's expense.

Last edited by \Boost Monkey/; 07-04-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Foosh (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 01:00 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, you're right. He's in love, and love is blind. Hopefully, he get's his vision corrected before it's too late.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-04-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:34 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyAkron
Wise words Thanks for them Thunder22 & everyone

I hear all of you and am willing to get a lawyer involved as well as contact the BMV/Chamber if need be but it does seem like Prestige is at least trying to make this right.

Bret at Prestige just a few minutes ago and left a nice message that said they are working on finding out why the block has been put on by contacting the previous owners. He said that they will take care of the situation whether it be removing the block, getting a warranty that is equal to or better than the GM Warranty, and go as far as finding a comparable car to this one if need be (with Warranty in place I assume)... sounds promising but the proof is in the pudding - we shall see.

On another note - a supervisor from GM Warranty Service STILL hasn't called me to give me an update. Really on the ball over there, not. I'm going to call them Wednesday after the holiday.

Until the next update, Happy 4th everyone.

"A nice message." Please don't be sucked in by a dealer who is being "nice." They sold you a bad car, mostly likely knowing about the warranty block, but will never admit it. Of course they're going to be nice...and they're going to say anything they possibly can to keep you in that car. They don't give a rat's *** about you or your car. They're only concerned about the bottom line.

They sold you a car under false pretenses.....and NOW you think they're going to do the right thing? Just get your money back and move on. There is no option B for this deal. Kill it while you still can.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:24 AM
Federot
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyAkron
This is the exact same game they played with me. GM can't help you, as there is nothing the "supervisor" will do other than give you a run around. After spending several hours back and forth over the course of 2 weeks, they finally came clean and admitted the car I bought was warranty blocked due to Spring Mountain. Instead of saying that upfront, several of the call takers kept "guessing" why the blocks were placed, or giving me their opinion. Also, don't fall for the regional rep checking the car to see if the blocks can be removed. That's more run around from GM. Don't fall for the 3rd party warranty either. As others have stated, the 3rd party will either refuse to warranty it, or require the manufacturer warranty be looked to first during the time it should be valid. Move On...

Get notified of new replies

To Arctic White 2016 Stingray with Warranty Block!!! New Owner in Akron Ohio!

Old 07-04-2017, 05:30 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,109 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Ok the car must go this car could end up costing you as much as a BRAND NEW ONE very quickly if you have to keep repairing it. End of story! This car is not a used car it is a HEADACHE that no one needs! Good luck and get the hell out of it sooner than later!
Old 07-04-2017, 06:17 AM
woodsguy
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Totally agree.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:12 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Make them take it back.

1. GM will never, ever, remove the block because the car was used in a performance driving school, period.

2. They are just dragging this out, nothing short of a full GM warranty will be satisfactory and since that can't happen take the car back.

That is your only 2 responses. You have all the leverage right now.

The longer you wait or accept anything less than the GM warranty block being removed, which will never happen, you lose that leverage.

Don't worry about this whole managing the problem and playing nice. It is your money, not theirs.

You made your attempt at resolution with nobody else involved now you use every avenue you have without pausing.

They screwed you over, zero doubts they knew everything about that car and the sales history would have thrown up flags that they knew something.

Once you step away from the GM warranty being reinstated you lose. The paperwork said remainder of GM warranty, that is your leverage and legal standing, if you do not use it, you lose it and this goes from being their fight to defend to yours.

That is your amicable solution. Reinstate the GM warranty, that can't happen, take the car back. That is the mantra over and over when dealing with them. Your offering a solution, does not matter its impossible to make happen that is what they sold you.

An aftermarket warranty is not a GM warranty that is what the paper said, GM warranty. There is no substitute. That is what you stick to, over and over, GM warranty. You agreed to buy the car based on a GM warranty.

I'm not a lawyer but in dealing with companies I rarely come out on the short end. Put your interest first. If the conversation does not move your interest forward, change the conversation. If the things they are proposing doesn't reinstate the GM warranty, end the conversation and change it. Every point in the conversation goes back to their error, accept zero responsibility for anything.

Tell them you are getting the state involved, dealer licensing, the AG, etc. It doesn't cost you anything to file a complaint on the Attorney General' website for Ohio and doesn't obligate you to anything so long as your truthful in your statements.

It is a regulated industry and nobody in a regulated industry wants to hear from a regulator. They need to understand the pain and cost of having to deal with that is greater than just resolving this now.

On the flip side be careful not to threaten. If you say you are going to file with the state, licensing board, etc. if not resolved you must do it. Skip the stuff about the forum and people's responses here.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-04-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Arctic White 2016 Stingray with Warranty Block!!! New Owner in Akron Ohio!