Sponsored by:

Power steering failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:10 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

It is no fun to have power steering fail but those failures also occurred regularly with the older hydraulic assist systems. In addition to a failure of the pump or hoses all it takes with those systems is a stalled engine or broken belt and with the "hydraboost" system used on many GM pickups you lose both power steering and power brakes simultaneously since brake boost is via the steering pump.

In the past GM has had issues with the electric assist steering system failing due to improperly tightened connections during initial assembly. If a number of 2017 vehicles begin to have steering failures I would not be surprised to see the diagnosis of a power feed issue due to poor voltage source or ground connections.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:33 AM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by daixloxbmw
Update: The Service Manager at my dealership has escalated my case to a GM Rep and the goal is now to pull a unit from the assembly line.
Glad to hear you are getting some traction with the issue. Hopefully something has been changed/upgraded for the units being used now verses the units they started using in 2017, for if not, it would seem the one you are going to get is the same/a carry over from 2017.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by VistaVette
It just happened again!!! Pulling into the bank, a 2 mile drive.
Did you take a picture of the message on the display, or a video? If your car didn't throw codes again, you are going to need other means to show/prove this is happening.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:54 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Well, it worked immediately for Rick (see post #17). Every CEO or agency head I've reported to has a staff specifically tasked with running down these types of issues.

The key is to write a polite letter leaving out all emotion and simply stating key facts that can easily be verified by her staff. Yes, a lot of whack job letters get weeded out, but the sensible ones usually get immediate attention.

You would be amazed how fast subordinates snap into action when the CEO's office calls and starts asking questions.
I have gone the email to CEO Barber in the past and got a prompt call from a GM executive liasion, that was of no help. Assigned a case number and did the song and dance and never any action. I would get a call from the EL from time to time for an update and I ended up updating them from my contacts here on the forum. Finally contacted BBB and got results. I hope the OP has success and gets his ride fixed pronto. Happy 4th. guys and gals
Old 07-01-2017, 09:57 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Well, it worked immediately for Rick (see post #17). Every CEO or agency head I've reported to has a staff specifically tasked with running down these types of issues.

The key is to write a polite letter leaving out all emotion and simply stating key facts that can easily be verified by her staff. Yes, a lot of whack job letters get weeded out, but the sensible ones usually get immediate attention.

You would be amazed how fast subordinates snap into action when the CEO's office calls and starts asking questions.
I have gone the email to CEO Barber in the past and got a prompt call from a GM executive liasion, that was of no help. Assigned a case number and did the song and dance and never any action. I would get a call from the EL from time to time for an update and I ended up updating them from my contacts here on the forum. Finally contacted BBB and got results. I hope the OP has success and gets his ride fixed pronto. Different issue with me but if there are no parts then you are at their mercy. Happy 4th. guys and gals
Old 07-01-2017, 12:50 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I would not drive a car with an eps that intermitantly loses assist. That is a safety and liability concern. All the engineering jargon does not make up for the fact that these cars are losing assist, for whatever reason. Sounds like the eps programming needs to be rewritten. The engineers at GM have to get to the root cause and come up with a solution. I see enough track day C7s that have experienced this and GMs fix all is a modified C6 rear brake duct to move air onto the eps motor. I haven't seen a failure like this on a car on the street. I'm not sure which of the two scenarios would be more scary.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3X2:
-vet (07-01-2017), Bob-G (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 05:10 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
I would not drive a car with an eps that intermitantly loses assist. That is a safety and liability concern. All the engineering jargon does not make up for the fact that these cars are losing assist, for whatever reason. Sounds like the eps programming needs to be rewritten. The engineers at GM have to get to the root cause and come up with a solution. I see enough track day C7s that have experienced this and GMs fix all is a modified C6 rear brake duct to move air onto the eps motor. I haven't seen a failure like this on a car on the street. I'm not sure which of the two scenarios would be more scary.
It's not SW at all. It's hardware and there isn't a lot you can do except make cars lighter, put less unsprung mass on them and shrink tire contact patches (the latter two to lower rack loads).

Most cars used to have 8-10kN rack
loads at end of travel, the norm today is 12-16kN for performance cars. The Corvette is actually pretty low at 9kN (base car).

So you gotta fix the cars. Not the system, hydraulic wouldn't work well at 16kN either.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:51 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob-G
Did you take a picture of the message on the display, or a video? If your car didn't throw codes again, you are going to need other means to show/prove this is happening.
I have pictures of the DIC for both occasions but if the dealer can't find a fault code they won't do a thing, they just write "can't duplicate". I've not taken it in yet for the second failure so I don't know if there are codes on this one or not.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:28 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by VistaVette
I have pictures of the DIC for both occasions but if the dealer can't find a fault code they won't do a thing, they just write "can't duplicate". I've not taken it in yet for the second failure so I don't know if there are codes on this one or not.
Bad grounds typically don't set codes. There is no way for SW to set a code because it's a power loss to the unit.

I'd check your grounding screw (it's near the ABS module) and verify its attached snugly.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:01 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

ou sound like you have intimate knowledge of Corvette systems. Is the rack under designed? Not enough heat sinks or cooling? or??? Why isn't it software issue? Ford offers a reprogrammed Mustang eps rack that eliminates loss of assist under racing conditions. Why not GM,or at least a cal that can be done via GDS2? Same as Chevrolet Performance Parts offering the Z06 brake upgrade for Stingrays, but failing to also offer a cal for the ebcm to use the Z's brakes to their fullest. We have many customers who have C7's, and other than the modified C6 brake duct, what else can be done to keep from loosing assist?
Old 07-02-2017, 12:15 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Bad grounds typically don't set codes. There is no way for SW to set a code because it's a power loss to the unit.

I'd check your grounding screw (it's near the ABS module) and verify its attached snugly.
Okay. Tell me where exactly to find the ground screw and I'll check. Do you have a picture?

I don't think that's the issue though based on a two factors:
1. It happens only during specific situations. A ground would occur anytime the connection was lost, which could be at any speed or condition
2. Two others that we know of are having the exact same issue

Last edited by VistaVette; 07-02-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:22 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

look on top of the left frame rail near where the shock absorber is. It is the forward large grounding lug. #2 in the picture.
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by 3X2:
911Hunter (07-23-2017), Bob-G (07-02-2017), JerryU (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 01:29 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by 3X2
look on top of the left frame rail near where the shock absorber is. It is the forward large grounding lug. #2 in the picture.
Thanks. I just checked, everything is nice and tight.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:42 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

I'd take it off and use some scotchbrite on both sides of the terminal, the lug on the frame, and the underside of the bolt. Can't hurt.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 02:14 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,621 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
Originally Posted by 3X2
I'd take it off and use some scotchbrite on both sides of the terminal, the lug on the frame, and the underside of the bolt. Can't hurt.
That is the terminal I used (as did many) to install my catch can bracket in my C7! Was concerned about conductivity with the terminal and painted bracket on the same bolt so replace the bolt with a stud and moved that ground wire to one forward of it. Although not shown in your pic, just checked my Grand Sport and it is there, forward of #2 in your pic.

Recently several posts of steering shutting down attributed to mounting the bracket and ground on the same bolt!

If no catch can bracket, agree with your suggestion! Would use sand paper etc and clean both surfaces. Would also remove the battery ground terminal, clean and tighten.

Following pics are from my catch can install PDF:

Moved ground to one forward.

Replaced bolt with stud. Made can removal easy for cleaning.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-02-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:09 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Update: (I'm the OP on the other thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-failed-2.html)

Code came back for this latest failure as the steering positioning sensor; I have an appointment on Thursday to have it replaced
Old 07-03-2017, 04:36 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I remember reading about similar power steering failures in the 5th gen Camaros. The steering rack was the culprit. At least one owner had his car replaced after an accident. I don't think there were many comments about the accident, which may have been due to legal reasons. Owners complained they couldn't steer the car during the failure. It's scary to read about a similar problem in the C7.

Last edited by lgodom; 07-03-2017 at 04:37 PM.
911Hunter (07-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering failure

Old 07-07-2017, 10:45 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Update: The GM rep was able pull a unit off the assembly line and it is currently being shipped to the dealership. It should arrive on Monday and promptly replace the defective unit. If all goes well, I should be able to pick it up on Tuesday after they complete a comprehensive road test.
The following 2 users liked this post by daixloxbmw:
bjones7131 (07-07-2017), Foosh (07-07-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

For those that may need Ms. Barra's email is: mary.barra@gm.com

You will get a reply along with a call from a Rep. to open a case file for you. I highly suspect Ms. Barra never saw my email, but I did get some movement. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:37 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

After reading this, I'm glad I got a bumper to bumper extended warranty for my Stingray.
911Hunter (07-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Power steering failure