Sponsored by:

2015 Z51 broke down on me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek Felix
I don't have a black on my warranty, the Chevrolet service advisor just can't confirm the repairs are covered, it's over his head and if they can not confirm the repairs are covered until they inspect the vehicle further which GM has agreed to let them do so far what would you suggest I do..
block*
The following users liked this post:
speedwaywhite (07-26-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 06:41 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

block*
Probably a tablet auto correcting.
Maxie2U (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 06:58 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I would let them continue with the repair. If there was a warranty block in place they wouldn't be going this far, you would have received documentation of the warranty block instead of the "green light" that they wanted to go further into the engine. Once you get this repair done under warranty then that gives you an "all clear" on prior maintenance. Just make sure to document all future maintenance done while you own the car.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by NSC5
I would let them continue with the repair. If there was a warranty block in place they wouldn't be going this far, you would have received documentation of the warranty block instead of the "green light" that they wanted to go further into the engine. Once you get this repair done under warranty then that gives you an "all clear" on prior maintenance. Just make sure to document all future maintenance done while you own the car.
I agree, the service advisor explained the whole warranty coverage is just over his head and that is why he keeps stressing it's not %100 that it will be covered but if GM has agreed to move forward with locating the problem, chances are it will be covered.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,160 Likes on 2,250 Posts

So I understand the rules and regulations to forums but I'm really just a kid who bought himself a 2015 Z51 2LT 7 speed Corvette about a month ago. The vehicle was at a respectable Cadillac dealership here in atl I did notice on the carfax the second owner only owned it for a month but supposedly it was the owner of the store who drove it so i didn't pay it much attention. Either way the vehicle has 30k miles on it no accidents and was everything I wanted so I pulled the trigger! Of course owning a Corvette has a cost so I was worried about maintenance but convinced myself it's a 2015 with 30k miles, what could go wrong. Well I was headed home last night and it started making a funny noise, then next thing I know it said service rear axle and I believe another message popped up but in a matter of minutes the vehicle shut off on me and I'm on the side of the road so I had it towed to my apartment at 4 in the morning. Now the dealer is closed today and I'm actually relocating Wednesday and Tuesday is the 4th so it'll be closed. Anyone have any experience with a situation like this? I'm trying to decide if I should tow it to my dealer here and cross my fingers it can be situated by Wednesday before I move or go ahead and tow it to my dealer back home where I'm moving to. Luckily my bumper to bumper is still good until September. Any advice would be much appreciated I love my car and he fact that it's broken down right is killing me

Lesson learned unfortunately the hard way. Never listen to a salesman's "story" and avoid a two year old car that had 30,000 miles on it given the fact 8 out of 10 C7s have less than 6,000 miles.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mbaessler
Hopefully it's not the Valve coking I have been reading on the C7 technical side of the forum.
Where did you pull that one out of....
Old 07-05-2017, 08:20 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Lesson learned unfortunately the hard way. Never listen to a salesman's "story" and avoid a two year old car that had 30,000 miles on it given the fact 8 out of 10 C7s have less than 6,000 miles.
I was aware of the risk before making the decision but the thought of owning such an amazing machine at age 24 and this one being perfect as far as color and equipment I convinced myself that I had no worries. Salesman didn't have to do anything I sold myself on it, plus from what I understand some corvette owners have plenty of miles on theres with no problems and the vehicle was still with in the bumper to bumper warranty so that also helped me make a decision. I've heard nothing but good things about corvettes but occasionally situations like this happen and all I can do is hope my warranty will cover it then I can purchase an extended warranty once this one is up in September.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:27 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Where did you pull that one out of....
GM has had a small number of failures due to valve springs in several of their V8 engines including the LT1 and LT4 and there is a TSB out on it but these failures tend to be early in life and are in NO way related to coking (unless the QC guys at the valve spring supplier are addicts). See http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...0506-1315.html

My 2016 Z06 is my third GM GDI engine (also currently have a 2014 ATS with the 3.6L and my previous 2008 also had this engine). The ATS is doing fine and my 2008 was 6 years old with over 75K when I traded it with no noticeable power difference from new and the same high fuel economy it had always produced. With all of the things going on in the world I am not losing any sleep over coking. If I lose sleep over anything associated with my Z06 it will how to get rid of the spider who apparently made it inside the car and spins a new web within my steering wheel overnight. Tomorrow I am not going to use the remote start and maybe I will catch Mr. 8 legs napping although maybe he is catching and killing the bugs that cause A8 torque converter issues so perhaps he deserves my thanks and gratitude.

Last edited by NSC5; 07-05-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by oldC5
Get a lawyer and go after dealer that sold you the car.
Why do some people also press the "get a lawyer" button?

Are you really suggestioning he sue GM. Let's see that should cost him the price of one or two C7s!!!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:18 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I would guess that almost all of the Corvette's that have 30,000 miles are not problematic cars. 30,000 miles is nothing for a Corvette. Chances are that whatever is wrong with the car can be fixed fairly quickly. Don't believe all the people that told you that you made a mistake. I would bet after you have the car repaired it should be a great vehicle. You saved a lot of money by buying one with 30,000 miles too. Jeez, I cannot believe some of the negative comments that have been put on this thread. Keep a positive attitude you will be good to go real soon I bet and covered by warranty. I am still driving my C6 that I have had since 05 and plan on buying a C7 one of these days after the prices drop a little.
The following 3 users liked this post by joeking:
itaylorm (07-06-2017), lancekl (07-07-2017), NSC5 (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 09:30 PM
PeytonJ
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a service rear axle message. Turned out to be a bad fuel injector. Repaired under warranty. Hope it works out for you
Old 07-05-2017, 11:32 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Derek,

My mistake on the block, I read post 6 and misinterpreted it BUT the jeopardy of having this vehicle serviced remains true, it could and likely will cause any argument for them to buy it back to become moot.

Don't have them (Chevy) touch the car until they comit to the repair. All too often I've heard where they do a partial tear down and then swing the FU hammer leaving you holding a bag full of nuts and bolts. If they are unable/unwilling to give you an iron clad guarantee in writing it will be repaired or returned as it is now if the warranty is denied, meaning in tact and reassembled after the partial teardown then return it by tow to the selling dealer and demand a refund showing them the RO from Chevy stating the warranty claim is denied.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:53 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Did the Cadillac Dealer provide any warranty with the car? I would think that, at a minimum, they would provide a 30 day warranty.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Derek Felix
Advanced

I have a question for you guys...

I leave town Friday morning so even though the service advisor explained we won't know anything else until next week, since he has not been the most helpful and has already back tracked on what he has said twice already I was going to take an Uber up there this morning and speak the manager of the service department.

Question to you guys is what are some key points I should ask or confirm maybe double check that they are handling this process properly.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:37 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a question for you guys...

I leave town Friday morning so even though the service advisor explained we won't know anything else until next week, since he has not been the most helpful and has already back tracked on what he has said twice already I was going to take an Uber up there this morning and speak the manager of the service department.

Question to you guys is what are some key points I should ask or confirm maybe double check that they are handling this process properly.
Why aren't they giving you a loaner? really they can't even offer a courtesy ride to and from?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by itaylorm
Why aren't they giving you a loaner? really they can't even offer a courtesy ride to and from?
Because technically they don't have a guarantee that the repair will be covered under warranty until they take a closer look which they supposedly can not do until Monday.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:38 PM
longhornATX
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by itaylorm
I agree. You should absolutely get a loaner, and escalate to the Service Manager. It's a high turnover business so you want to keep someone accountable that has some incentive to get it resolved. Also, talk to the Customer Service Manager as it's their job to keep you happy.

I have no idea what this could be, but dead batteries can throw false trouble codes/warning lights. That is what happened in my GMC about a year ago. That being said, the factory battery "should" be fine on a '15. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Z51 broke down on me!

Old 07-06-2017, 03:03 PM
traronf
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts

I know its been said but I would put pressure on the Cadillac dealer and tell them that they need to engage with the Chevrolet dealer or they will have this car back on their property and they can either get it fixed to you liking or they can give you your money back. This is BS, be persistent, they sold you the car its a month in your possession and should be doing more for you.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by traronf
I know its been said but I would put pressure on the Cadillac dealer and tell them that they need to engage with the Chevrolet dealer or they will have this car back on their property and they can either get it fixed to you liking or they can give you your money back. This is BS, be persistent, they sold you the car its a month in your possession and should be doing more for you.
Yeah I was at the dealership today and was going to have the vehicle towed from the Chevrolet to the Cadillac store I bought it from just because the rep there was running all kind of scenarios past me that would void the warranty that could be possible depending on the previous owner so I have been in touch with the manager who sold me the car and gave him a call he looked in to it and told me my best bet was to let the Chevrolet dealer work on the car because GM would want someone who specializes on corvettes working on the vehicle but assured me that there GM certified techs inspected the vehicle and there should be no reason my warranty wouldn't cover the repairs and the dealership is just following there process then to let him know what they say Monday. The responsiveness and character of this manager over there made me feel like he had my back if they do try to say my warranty won't cover it, so hopefully my instincts are leading me on the right path.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:24 PM
VettVertGo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Loaner

Derek- sorry to hear of all your troubles. I am glad to hear that you believe that the selling dealer "has your back". As a suggestion and so that you are not further inconvenienced while others are figuring this out, I would lean hard on the selling dealer to get you a courtesy loaner. He may choose to do this in collaboration with the Chevy dealer if he chooses (he would simply agree to cover the loaner cost in the event that GM declines to do so under the warranty). Should that happen, he (the Cadillac dealer) is going to need to make it right anyway. Alternatively, the selling dealer can provide a loaner from his own store. Either way, he should not leave you "stuck" in the middle of this. Good luck and hang in there!
NSC5 (07-06-2017)

Quick Reply: 2015 Z51 broke down on me!