C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette reliability

Old 07-11-2018, 05:35 PM
R50THC5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

There are many examples of corvettes abv 100K. I highest I know of is Chris Chesnoe of Callaway Cars, a 2010 Callway with well over 200K miles. Its a C6 but a great example on how well made the corvette really is if you follow sked mx. I suspect the C7 will follow into the 100K plus group for anyone that keeps theirs over the C8
Old 07-11-2018, 05:40 PM
SoFloVette
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
To me a corvette is like a beautiful woman, even if she has some issues, it's worth dealing with them because she's so fun to ride...
LOL
The following users liked this post:
blkvet6 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 05:53 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Only issues that bother me are
1. Z06 overheating/heat soak issues
2. Z06/GS wheel bending issue
3. A8 seems to have some problems- IDK, I'm a manual driver.

Electronics are one of those things- it's either going to go out early or not at all. If it doesn't fail in the first 3 years, I doubt you'll have touch screen problems.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:05 AM
David_Foxx
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had 4 corvettes, 3x C5's and now my C7. Combined well over 100k miles, including a yearly road trip from Texas/Oklahoma to Las Vegas. I've driven on the Texas Motor Speedway several times and pushed them on other smaller tracks. I drive it for the fun car it is made to be, not like I'm protecting a vintage baseball card in a sleeve. Outside of normal maintenance, I have never had one in for service.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:59 AM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Owners not Biased.

Consumer Reports can only publish the data they get from the letters they send out to owners asking for owner opinions. So how can that be biased. ...

Last edited by kaplana08; 07-12-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:03 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I had my C5 for 9 years and put 133k on it and only spent $2000 in repairs, and had my C6 for 4.5 years and spent $2500 in repairs. I'm hopeful that my C7 is reliable too and so far after 7 months and 5600 miles it has been flawless.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

My 2016 is a daily driver. 22 months, 28K miles...all happy, no issues. No one should have dependability issues with a new car. And if you do, that’s what the warranty is for. While I’ve used my tire insurance a few times, I have zero claims on my GM warranty, and hopefully it stays that way, but I’m already doing my extended warranty homework. Plan to buy one at the end of the summer.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 AM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

My 2012 GS, which I bought new, was flawless as a daily driver for over 40,000 miles. Perfect in every way...literally zero problems.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 PM
nightroddersp
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I always love hearing about how their Corvettes broke down after 100s of laps around a race track in August in Texas. I really can't say much about reliability because I have only been driving it for 5 month, 5 GLORIOUS months. No complaints other than that damn hatch release button by my knee when I get in with out the seat back.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I don't agree with the CR naysayers and have relied on their ratings on various products for decades. I suspect that some of the reports of electronics concerns may come from owners of earlier MYs that have issues that can be rectified by software updates. My 2015 had a couple and was fine thereafter, but none of it was what I would cause me to label it as unreliable. The A8 tranny was unreliable, however, and I bailed on the car just to get away from it. It may be okay on newer models, but I won't be finding out.

My current 2017 GS M7 has had no mechanical or electronic issues at all, and only a few very minor cosmetic quirks that most people would not even see and are not worth fooling with, IMO. The SM at a local dealership told me it takes about two years to get the software right on a new model like the C7 was in 2014, so maybe this holds true on later MYs like the 2018-19 the OP is contemplating. Based on my experience with my 2017 I would agree that it is.
The problem is CR's ratings don't reflect a representative sample. The input is limited to members and how many people are members and what is their background? The other thing about electronic complaints isn't necessarily an actual failure in the electronics but the failure of consumers to understand how the electronics actually work. They hit the button and expect a certain result when they aren't considering the button may not be programmed to do what they want in the current setup of the system. And of course there is always the secret code that you need to know to fix an issue that might pop up. Last year our Terrain was hit in the rear at a stop sign. Once we drove away from the body shop I noticed I was getting issues with the security system saying the power hatch wasn't closed when it actually was. Went back to the body shop and they couldn't figure it out. Then drove to the dealership and told the service writer what was happening and he took our key fob and started locking the car and unlocking it and doing something else at the same time. After working all doors and the hatch he threw me the keys and said its fixed and it was. Now that could be and is often written up as a complaint because I had to take the car to the dealer to get it to respond properly. However, was there really a failure all that happened is the system was confused because the body shop removed the rear hatch to straighten out the edge that was crumpled? If I had known the secret code I could have done that myself. I am of the opinion that Customer usage problems need to be accounted for differently when it comes to car reliability/durability. Just because a Customer doesn't know how to do something doesn't mean the car is less reliable.

Bill
Old 07-12-2018, 02:02 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
Consumer Reports can only publish the data they get from the letters they send out to owners asking for owner opinions. So how can that be biased. ...
Let's rephrase and see if it answers the question "How can that be biased?":

"CR can only publish the data opinions they get from the letters they send out to a very small and select group of owners asking for owner opinions, and then use those opinions as "facts" to publish reliability ratings that are presented as "objective".

Consumer Reports has clearly been biased in many instances in the past regarding automobiles (Re: Samurai, Ford Explorer) and I see no reason to believe they still don't color their "findings" according to their own biases.

Example of one of CR's "totally objective" statements: "One cheap way that automakers make an SUV less prone to rollover is to equip it with less-grippy tires". They didn't say "could" -- they stated that it IS happening. No proof, just "feels".

CR might be good for rating kitchen appliances and electric shavers, but their auto 'tests' have always been extremely suspect.
mschuyler (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 03:14 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Sorry guys, but its been the least reliable car I've ever owned. Not really electronics specific though.
What are the specifics of it not being reliable

Old 07-12-2018, 03:19 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gtleo106
Thinking of buy a new Vette, but am apprehensive about the Consumer Reports ratings regarding the in-car electronics and owner reliability, both much worse than average. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
You should buy a car that Consumer Reports likes then. Perhaps a Toyota Corolla would be a good car for you. I think that a performance car, where many components are designed near their limits for performance reasons, would cause you worry on a daily basis.
ptalar (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I have a 2015 Z51 3lt M7, had 50k miles when I bought it in December 2017 . It now has 61k miles and runs like a champ no problems. Still looks new.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 PM
FrontRunner76
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've owned a C5, C6, and now own a C7 Vette. No reliability issues with any. Only normal maintenance.

Last edited by FrontRunner76; 07-12-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
That's a good example of why they are biased. Their samples are completely flawed. They ONLY ask CR SUBSCRIBERS, so the subset of Corvette owners is biased right there. What about non-CR subscribers? Then they only tabulate responses, i.e.: people who bother to respond and have a reason to. Third, they do not publish their methods OR their data so you have no idea if their statistical calculations are correct. There's no way to validate what they are saying. You just have to trust them. Scientifically, they are a laughingstock. They're just hoping their claim that they accept no advertising creates enough trust in you to accept their claims.

Many years ago I saw a cartoon in one of the car mags: C&D, R&T, or MT, I forget which. Two guys in the foreground are talking. A few bespectacled, white-coated "scientists" are in the background with clipboards as you see cars being pushed off a cliff. One guy says to the other, "Oh, that's just Consumer Reports testing cars again."

Last edited by mschuyler; 07-12-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:20 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The problem is CR's ratings don't reflect a representative sample.
They claim they use accepted statistical sampling practices, and when a valid sample is not available they state it as such. I've seen no evidence to suspect that they do not do it as well as can be done given how they acquire their data.

The other thing about electronic complaints isn't necessarily an actual failure in the electronics but the failure of consumers to understand how the electronics actually work.
For one thing, it's true that the Corvette does have some sophisticated electronics, but so do many other cars that don't fare poorly in CR's ratings. Also, I would venture to say that most Corvette owners are a step or two more tech savvy than, say, a soccer mom is with her new high-dollar SUV.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette reliability

Old 07-13-2018, 12:29 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

2014 Corvette, M7 3LT base
Bought new in November 2013
53,000 miles
new infotainment screen under warranty
new water pump under warranty
as reliable as any car I have owned

Last edited by SRQStingray; 07-13-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:28 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
They claim they use accepted statistical sampling practices, and when a valid sample is not available they state it as such. I've seen no evidence to suspect that they do not do it as well as can be done given how they acquire their data.
Sure they claim that, but they don't show their work. Why not? What's to hide? And they don't show their data. How many cars per model are we talking about? Nobody knows. They won't tell us. So why all the secrets? And "given how they acquire their data" is a huge problem right there. Their sampling technique is statistically invalid. The sample of "CR Subscribers who also own Corvettes AND respond to the annual CR survey" is simply NOT a valid sample of all Corvette owners. If you rely on CR data, you are getting skewed data.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:51 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Sure they claim that, but they don't show their work. Why not? What's to hide?
I just did a search on Consumer Reports survey methods and there are a number of articles on the subject. This one by CR itself is fairly specific and answers a number of questions on their methods. I didn't spend a lot of time reading the various articles but if you'll take a look at them, let me know what you believe they lack in specifics. In general terms CR takes the surveys and categorize the various groups (engine, electrical, etc.) into ratings based on the performance of other cars in the survey. The statistical models aren't that complex and really don't need to be.

And they don't show their data. How many cars per model are we talking about? Nobody knows.
By that notion any data not including all Corvettes manufactured are skewed. In the second link above they say the typical results for one model and model year is 200-400, with over 640,000 surveys received. Granted, that's a far cry from all Corvettes sold per model year, having small-to-moderate sample sizes is better than none at all.

For my needs, what they provide is better than any other guideline for picking products based on survey results and their on-site testing. It isn't my only source of information but one that helps me along to make a rational choice. I tend to research products I plan to buy more than most people, to a fault I'm told, so I'll take the CR info and digest it along with any other sources I can find. For example, I just purchased a mini-computer for my home theater setup, and it took me two weeks of research to finally make the decision. I read everything I could lay my hands on, and had I not done it that way with all the variables involved (OS compatibility, RAM, storage, etc.) I could easily have ended up with something that didn't fit my needs.

Last edited by iclick; 07-13-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette reliability