C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Etiquette - Strangers touching your car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
I busted my nuts to buy my car and for anyone to touch it, I don't care how innocent it is sets me off as well. Someone may not have the intent to vandalize it but I'm not taking any chances. When I'm out and it's out of my sight I do get mild anxiety about leaving it, it's just who I am and how I'm with, with all my vehicles. If I see someone milling about I'm off like a shot to investigate.
with that completely, 100%, Monk. That's exactly how I feel.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:26 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LimeRay
LimeRay is a reference to a color of car, Lime Rock Green.
OK, I got that wrong, sorry. But who're you calling a snowflake, chump?
Old 07-11-2017, 07:39 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jma242
So today I parked my GS in a normal spot at the supermarket, a few rows from everyone else. a few lanes in front of me were two vans filling up with 8-10 older teens that were very loud and rowdy. Already had a bad feeling in my gut as I was walking away from my car.

Walked halfway to the store when I heard one of them yelling about the car. When I turned around he had already ran over to it and had his right hand and foot on the front bumper, with his full weight on the car, posing for a picture.

I yelled so loud across that lot for him to get the **** going that he bolted like the Flash. Some guy got out of his van and started asking him what he was doing. I sat in my car until they left just in case.

Am I wrong for being so angry?
Sadly, that is just the reason why I will not leave my C6 out of my sight, fortunately, mine is a weekend cruiser only
Old 07-12-2017, 01:25 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

The Corvette is the 2nd most expensive item I own, and it will be safeguarded accordingly.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:15 AM
HPT
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie
When I see cars parked at the far end of the parking lot taking up two or three parking places or people obsessing over someone touching their car, I just think they can't really afford the car.
Exactly. It's along the lines of guys who never dare let a valet park their Corvette, just before a guy half his age pulls up in a Ferrari and tosses the key.

Makes me laugh when I'm driving my Ferrari.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:31 AM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERRY 316
Took your GS to the supermarket? Hmmmm...
Something wrong with that?

Just because I don't like people having their way with something I bought, doesn't mean I believe it to be made of gold and can't be driven to a store.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:32 AM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT
Exactly. It's along the lines of guys who never dare let a valet park their Corvette, just before a guy half his age pulls up in a Ferrari and tosses the key.

Let us know how you feel when someone pushes a cart into your Ferrari.
The following users liked this post:
Corgidog1 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 06:51 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Sometimes, when I am out and about doing some errands, kids like to get a close up look at my Torch Red 2015. If I am near the car and they want posed pictures, I actually take their phone and snap the shot with them by the car. Sometimes, I invite them to sit in the drivers seat while I take the picture. Smaller kids absolutely love doing this.

When done taking the picture, I always ask, "Would you like to own one of these Corvettes?" The obvious answer they give is, "Yes." That's when I go into my sermonette about staying in school, getting good grades, go to college, save your pennies and most importantly, stay the hell away from drugs and alcohol.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:52 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Just because I don't like people having their way with something I bought, doesn't mean I believe it to be made of gold and can't be driven to a store.
Totally agree!
Old 07-12-2017, 07:00 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

To the few who think a Corvette is just a car:
Many Americans don't agree that their (fill in the blank) is just that. Many will defend it with much vigor, maybe more than we do our Corvettes. Is a Harley just a motorcycle? Next time you see a bunch of bikers hanging out walk over and sit on one of the motorcycles. I dare you! I used to ride with a rough crowd, almost saw a knifing because some redneck came into the bar bragging he'd just ran over a few Harleys. It was a joke to him, not to anyone else. If your Corvette is just a car may I come over and put my foot on it for a picture?

A foot on a Corvette, or even my 23 year old pickup, is just wrong. Now my pickup IS just a pickup to me, but don't mess with it, that's my privilege.

Uretha Franklin sang a song about it. " R E S P E C T Find out what it means to me."
If someone doesn't have respect then another of her songs comes into play. "I'll say a little prayer for you."
Old 07-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Everyone has a different way they get pleasure out of their corvette-if someone gets pleasure from looking at their low mileage perfect car that is as cool with me as someone who gets pleasure out of beating the crap out of the car. it is your car and your choice.

What isn't cool is for someone to pass judgement on how another deals with their car.

Getting back to the OP-common courtesy and common sense says you do not touch another person's car without their permission. If you touch another's car you lack both.
Al D (07-13-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 09:12 AM
millers1
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Everyone has a different way they get pleasure out of their corvette-if someone gets pleasure from looking at their low mileage perfect car that is as cool with me as someone who gets pleasure out of beating the crap out of the car. it is your car and your choice.

What isn't cool is for someone to pass judgement on how another deals with their car.

Getting back to the OP-common courtesy and common sense says you do not touch another person's car without their permission. If you touch another's car you lack both.
Totally agree!
Old 07-12-2017, 09:26 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

its just a car thats what insurance is for. Noone likes seeing damage but it happens. Fix, drive or if ya cant handle it wrap it in a bubble or sell it.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:50 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

its just a car that's what insurance is for. No one likes seeing damage but it happens. Fix, drive or if ya cant handle it wrap it in a bubble or sell it.
Does your policy cover smudges? Light scratches? What's the deductible? They're undoing the hard work I've put in to clean and maintain that finish. Look and take all the pictures you want. I'll even take you for a spin if I'm bored. But don't touch the paint or glass! I don't care if it's a corvette or a camry. It's NOT YOURS, DON'T TOUCH IT.
It's like the time some idiot in the barracks parking lot was sitting on my motorcycle and knocked it over. I come out to see my bike on it's side, gurgling fuel out of the vent. Oh, great! Cracked bodywork and scratches galore. Yeah, just a motorcycle. But still a PITA to deal with because some clown has no respect for others' property. If I would have seen it, they would have gotten "cracked up side they head" with my helmet.
Do people just hop in parked convertibles and start dry shifting? Making engine noises. ha whaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 07-12-2017, 11:27 AM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
OK, I got that wrong, sorry. But who're you calling a snowflake, chump?
Well clearly I was referring to you and the other Snowflake that piped up and got his panties in a wad. It's OK, the world needs sensitive Snowflakes like you to balance out the gritty ****** like me.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:39 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Well clearly I was referring to you and the other Snowflake that piped up and got his panties in a wad. It's OK, the world needs sensitive Snowflakes like you to balance out the gritty ****** like me.
another keyboard tuff guy, lmfao
Old 07-12-2017, 12:11 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

At least you got the part about being a ***** right.

Get notified of new replies

To Etiquette - Strangers touching your car!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:18 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT

Soooo, in that case from time to time just the Ferrari gets driven like the valet stole it.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:24 PM
James R Jones
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no you were quite correct. I park mine as far away as I can

So today I parked my GS in a normal spot at the supermarket, a few rows from everyone else. a few lanes in front of me were two vans filling up with 8-10 older teens that were very loud and rowdy. Already had a bad feeling in my gut as I was walking away from my car.

Walked halfway to the store when I heard one of them yelling about the car. When I turned around he had already ran over to it and had his right hand and foot on the front bumper, with his full weight on the car, posing for a picture.

I yelled so loud across that lot for him to get the **** going that he bolted like the Flash. Some guy got out of his van and started asking him what he was doing. I sat in my car until they left just in case.

Am I wrong for being so angry?
This is my pet peeve-these morons in the pick up trucks and SUV (Stupid Useless Vehicles) have no respect for fiberglass.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:03 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I tend to handle on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes I tolerate...

direct007 (07-19-2017)

Quick Reply: Etiquette - Strangers touching your car!