Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tipping GM mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 07:57 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

I understand the "concept" behind tipping and I usually tip more than 20% for good service BECAUSE the tip is the servers main source of income. I also tip for bad service for the same reason. Tipping a store mechanic? Don't get it at all. Does the mechanic reduce your bill when the "book" charge labor time for a job calls for 4 hours that he does in 2? Of course not, but that's how he makes his money. Good ones can bill 12-15 hours of labor in an 8 hour shift. All mechanics, including the service writer get a cut of the bill. But hey, I'm just crazy like that....
The following users liked this post:
Boiler_81 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 08:17 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The 2 Golden Rules of Tipping:

1) If you want to tip someone, do it BEFORE the work is done.
Otherwise, it has no effect on the outcome.

2) Never tip for warranty work.

Last edited by sunsalem; 07-09-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:51 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
The 2 Golden Rules of Tipping:

1) If you want to tip someone, do it BEFORE the work is done.
Otherwise, it has no effect on the outcome.

That would be a bribe not a tip.

2) Never tip for warranty work.I'm curious as to why you say that? The amount of work the Tech has to do is the same if it's warranty or chargeable.
I'm not cheerleading for tips to Servicemen, in a perfect World we would all do our very best in all situations but that's just not the case for most people sadly.
Even worse, some people make excuses for sub par work!
Old 07-10-2017, 12:46 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

1) Yep, it IS a bribe.
2) Service techs are REQUIRED to make warranty work repairs per manufacturer spec.
Tips/bribes play no part in motivating.

Last edited by sunsalem; 07-10-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:05 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
I understand the "concept" behind tipping and I usually tip more than 20% for good service BECAUSE the tip is the servers main source of income.
Why is that my problem or responsibility?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:38 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't get tips for my job, and I make less than an auto mechanic, so why would I tip them?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:51 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
I don't get tips for my job, and I make less than an auto mechanic, so why would I tip them?
You shouldn't because tipping should not be done based on how much the person you might decide to tip might make. In fact, tipping in general is stupid. People generally only consider tipping people who perform some service. Most people working "service jobs" don't even get tipped nor are they considered that they should get tipped. And really you should not have to tip but rather just pay people what they are worth.

See http://freakonomics.com/podcast/danny-meyer/
Old 07-10-2017, 10:59 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

For some reason, I think bribing has been part of human strategy since the time we were still living in caves.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:20 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Why is that my problem or responsibility?
I just re-read my comments. Did not find a reference to you, your problem or responsibility regarding this matter. Am i missing something here or is it "double down" Monday???
Old 07-10-2017, 01:15 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Perf n Restore
My take and position on tipping.

I usually try to get a sense of the type of person I would tip. Would a tip make any difference in the service?
Bar tender, service personnel, etc.

If I feel it would then, I ALWAYS tip first. Tipping after the service is performed is generally to late to change whatever level of service they have provided.
Slipping the bartender a $20 before or when I order, is almost always a benefit to me .
The service tech who services my oil furnance always does a great, neat job when I tip him before the work starts.

So...if you give the GM tech a tip before he starts work I am sure he will pay attention to what he is doing.

Works for me....
Thats a good twist on tipping. Tip first to make sure they dont *uck up! lol I'd do it if I had to guarantee a good job or service but I think its better to give a good tip after so then someone who did well will do amazing the next time around.

I never tip for good work. Well I dont really need anything. Young, dont own a home, appliances etc. I do gift sometimes or buy a free lunch to build relationships. No gift cards, something well thought out.

Picking up the tab unexpectedly for lunch goes a long lonnng way. Ppl never forget it.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:56 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
I just re-read my comments. Did not find a reference to you, your problem or responsibility regarding this matter. Am i missing something here or is it "double down" Monday???
Most of the time people try to use this type of rational to shame people into giving (i.e. the poor service person makes less than minimum wage - you should really tip him. I tip people like that so you should too)

When I asked my question it was semi rhetorical or at least it was meant to make you think "Yeah, why am I doing that? Like he said, it's really not my problem nor responsibility either". Either that or actually answer with a good reason of why this should be my problem or responsibility.

Sure you can easily back down here and say "Well I was just saying what I think for myself - you don't have to do it" but I've had way too many people who use that rational then try to push it on others by using guilt. Why else would you hear "Well the service person doesn't make that much"? Indeed I've had people argue with me that I'm heartless because I don't do what they do based on this reason.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:26 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I used to tip the mechanic if I knew he would be the one working on my car every time. Some incentive to take care of me and my car. For a while now, the mechanics have refused the tips. I now bring a bunch of donuts or such for the team when I bring the car in. Service manager gets a bottle of liquor or so on the holidays.

Any service person who I hope to have a long term business relationship will get a tip or holiday present. We do the same at work as well.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Tipping is definitely not required. Our Corvette technicians, who fall under our dedicated Corvette Department, are paid so they can take the time required to cater to Corvette owners wants and needs. This includes taking the time to show a customer the underside and mechanics of their Corvettes, explain any issues or concerns that have been noted, answer questions and take the extra time required to perform meticulous repairs using the proper precautionary measures such as fender covers, floor mats, seat covers, clean hands and clothes, etc.

But, tipping is not a bad thing. No matter what service is being provided to you, and no matter how the service provider is paid, tipping is a great way to show your appreciation and help ensure excellent service in future visits. The more the service provider feels appreciated, the better service you will receive.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nate@VanBortelChevy:
dvilin (07-22-2017), JerryU (07-22-2017), JimNeedsC7 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Perf n Restore
My take and position on tipping.

I usually try to get a sense of the type of person I would tip. Would a tip make any difference in the service?
Bar tender, service personnel, etc.

If I feel it would then, I ALWAYS tip first. Tipping after the service is performed is generally to late to change whatever level of service they have provided.
Slipping the bartender a $20 before or when I order, is almost always a benefit to me .
The service tech who services my oil furnance always does a great, neat job when I tip him before the work starts.

So...if you give the GM tech a tip before he starts work I am sure he will pay attention to what he is doing.

Works for me....
Interesting approach. I think this is subject to the service being provided. A plumber, contractor, mechanic, a service that isn't traditionally tipped, this sounds like a great idea. These people are probably subject to a lot of abuse by customers and by showing appreciation up-front may go a long way.

A bar tender, a waiter/waitress, barber/hairdresser, different story. These professions are tip based, the service provider knows that the better service they provide, the better tip they will receive. They get tipped after the service is provided.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:19 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Then there's this:

knightindustries2000 (08-07-2021)
Old 07-22-2017, 02:00 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Tipping is a form of bribery (pre-service) or appreciation (after-service).
Either way, there is nothing inherently wrong with the concept.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Believe in tipping for good service..or just to help someone out who has chitty job
Required, no its all up to you.

Found over time the cheapest people were also the biggest PITA to deal with.

Bad service Ill give a crappy tip AND explain why

Last edited by cv67; 07-22-2017 at 03:11 PM.
JerryU (07-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Tipping GM mechanics

Old 07-22-2017, 03:10 PM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

This was such a interesting topic, I've never thought of doing this prior but i'm certainly gonna start the more skilled people you have in your corner the better
JerryU (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:20 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Tipping is a very valuable tool. Speaking both as a giver and recipient. In fact just recently a $50 bill got me out of an expensive lease obligation. I was happy to give the $50 at the time to make myself stand out from the crowd, and show appreciation. Not expecting or wanting to ever collect.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:24 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Tipping is a form of showing your appreciation for a job well-done. It's an individual thing. I will offer a tip whenever I feel the service is warranted.
The following 3 users liked this post by B&BVettes:
dvilin (07-22-2017), JerryU (07-22-2017), probono (07-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Tipping GM mechanics