Sponsored by:

Leather question 1LT vs 2LT vs 3LT

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Leather question 1LT vs 2LT vs 3LT

I'm considering a 2017 GS and have some questions on the packages. I searched and couldn't find an answer. What exactly is and isn't leather on the 1LT vs 2LT vs 3LT? On the 1LT, I know the dash and door tops aren't leather, but are the door panels and the armrest? Details greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2017, 11:46 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

The only leather in a 1LT are parts of the seat (the seating surfaces, where your butt and back touch), and the steering wheel and the shifter boot & ****.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:35 PM
red62vette
Pro

What about the 2LT package?
Old 07-10-2017, 12:36 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

Originally Posted by red62vette
I'm considering a 2017 GS and have some questions on the packages. I searched and couldn't find an answer. What exactly is and isn't leather on the 1LT vs 2LT vs 3LT? On the 1LT, I know the dash and door tops aren't leather, but are the door panels and the armrest? Details greatly appreciated. Thanks!
As I understand it, the 1LT and 2LT have what Chevy calls Mulan leather in the seating surface only. The 3LT has what is called Nappa leather, also in the seating surface only.

All other leather looking "stuff" is vinyl. Perhaps the shift boot isn't as the previous poster mentioned, it may be "real" leather.

Frankly I can't tell the difference in my 2LT Grand Sport from my prior 3LT Z51 C7 seats!

Here are some difinitions:
Mulan Leather is composition material man-made from leather fibers derived from leather scrap etc, and is not derived from leather hides, as in traditional leather. Composition leather gives a uniform finish with minimal batch-to-batch variation.

Nappa Leather is the general term for particularly soft, chrome tanned smooth leather of all animal skin types and fields of use. . Nappa leather is also known as aniline leather.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-10-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:10 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
As I understand it, the 1LT and 2LT have what Chevy calls Mulan leather in the seating surface only. The 3LT has what is called Nappa leather, also in the seating surface only.
On the 3LT the upper dash and upper door panels are also in leather vs. a man-made material on 1LT and 2LT. 3LT also includes black microsuede-covered A pillars, headliner, and windshield / halo headers.

A couple of additional thoughts...
  • The man-made material used on the dash and door panels of 1LT and 2LT is of excellent quality. It has a subtle texture to it (as opposed to the smooth feel of 3LT's leather) and includes the same genuine stitching as 3LT.
  • If you're going with a solid Jet Black interior, DEFINITELY check out a 1LT / 2LT vs. a 3LT in person before you decide which to buy. Look at the upper dash and upper door panels and touch them both. Without question, the Jet Black 3LT interior looks and feels outstanding; the 1LT / 2LT Jet Black interior is also of great quality and difficult for some to differentiate fom 3LT.
  • If you go with a color interior, the differences in trim levels take on added significance. For example, Kalahari is not available with 1LT; Spice Red is available only with 3LT; gray and Adrenaline Red are available across the board but the color break-up is different by trim level.
  • Custom color stitching (red, yellow, blue) is available only with 3LT.
Here's a link to additional info, including photos: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...interiors.html
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (09-08-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 01:12 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

As I understand it, the 1LT and 2LT have what Chevy calls Mulan leather in the seating surface only. The 3LT has what is called Nappa leather, also in the seating surface only. All other leather looking "stuff" is vinyl. Perhaps the shift boot isn't as the previous poster mentioned, it may be "real" leather.
3LT also has leather dash, console, and door panels. Roof and A-pilars are Alcantara (synthetic suede).
Old 07-10-2017, 01:37 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Let me preface my statement by saying that my 2016 triple black 3LT C7 is my 11th Corvette, and I have loved every one of them. The C7 is a fabulous car, with the exception of the crappy quality of the leather. The leather used in every Corvette, including the 3LT, is so below the quality of leather used in almost every other brand, including cars that cost considerably less than my C7. The leather on the door panels and center console scratches very easy, and once scratched, nothing can be done to remove the scratches. Furthermore, since the leather is coated, leather products such as preservatives cannot be used to soften and protect the leather. Corvette leather is crap. My wish is that Chevy offered a true premium leather option for Corvettes at a premium price. There are many folks, including myself, willing to pay for a quality leather interior (seats, dash, door panels and center console).
The following 3 users liked this post by RonnieC6Z:
BigMonkey73 (07-18-2018), Gonzo (09-08-2017), Virtual Geezer (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 02:49 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

All other leather looking "stuff" is vinyl. Perhaps the shift boot isn't as the previous poster mentioned, it may be "real" leather.

Frankly I can't tell the difference in my 2LT Grand Sport from my prior 3LT Z51 C7 seats!

Here are some difinitions:
Mulan Leather is composition material man-made from leather fibers derived from leather scrap etc, and is not derived from leather hides, as in traditional leather. Composition leather gives a uniform finish with minimal batch-to-batch variation.

Nappa Leather is the general term for particularly soft, chrome tanned smooth leather of all animal skin types and fields of use. . Nappa leather is also known as aniline leather.
From where did you get the above definitions from??
Old 07-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Go into a showroom with a 2LT and a 3LT side by side-open the door of each and take a whiff--much greater leather smell in the 3LT.

Last edited by Corgidog1; 07-10-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:09 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Are you buying a Corvette or a sofa. You need to decide which you want.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Campbell:
probono (07-14-2017), Virtual Geezer (07-11-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 03:54 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
3LT also has leather dash, console, and door panels. Roof and A-pilars are Alcantara (synthetic suede).
Been round and around with what exactly my 3LT C7 was! Best you can pin GM down appears to be it has Nappa leather "seating surface" and perhaps some on the dash but the rest is refereed to as soft touch materials! Is the red arm rest on my 2LT door Mulan Leather or vinyl? Who cares!

Originally Posted by ersatz928
From where did you get the above definitions from??
That is a short description of what has also been discussed for years. Nappa leather is accurate. Mulan has a number of definitions but that smoother surface, lower cost and purchased in wide rolls with no defects, makes me believe it is like Baloney or perhaps like Deli Turkey breast! Every see a turkey with that size breast! It's mushed together from a number of turkeys, salt water etc! That's why I get "carved turkey" at SubWay

Last edited by JerryU; 07-11-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 PM
red62vette
Pro

Thanks. That's super helpful.

I'm thinking that since I already have a car with nice leather on the dash, etc, I'll keep this one a minimal driver's car at minimal cost to take to work 1-2 days a week, and maybe to the track. Either black or gray exterior, black wheels, manual, black 1LT.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 10:37 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

It gets more complicated.

Our 2017 2LT has the $695 option "Sueded microfiber seat inserts, sueded microfiber-wrapped steering wheel."
It also seems to have the suede on the sun visors and A-pillars.
Overall, the quality of the interior seems excellent but we've only had it for a couple of months.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
Let me preface my statement by saying that my 2016 triple black 3LT C7 is my 11th Corvette, and I have loved every one of them. The C7 is a fabulous car, with the exception of the crappy quality of the leather. The leather used in every Corvette, including the 3LT, is so below the quality of leather used in almost every other brand, including cars that cost considerably less than my C7. The leather on the door panels and center console scratches very easy, and once scratched, nothing can be done to remove the scratches. Furthermore, since the leather is coated, leather products such as preservatives cannot be used to soften and protect the leather. Corvette leather is crap. My wish is that Chevy offered a true premium leather option for Corvettes at a premium price. There are many folks, including myself, willing to pay for a quality leather interior (seats, dash, door panels and center console).
The problem is that most car leather is coated. That is how they protect the leather in the environment it is in. I am not familiar with which brands don't coat their leather but they are in the minority.

http://www.detailingspot.com/?page_id=308

The fact that the GM Leather might be able to be scratched doesn't mean it is a low quality leather. It may have other characteristics that make it better than a leather that can't be scratched. From GM's standpoint the leather holds up well and doesn't need a lot of care from owners. The leather in my 2003 Tahoe with 14 years of wear, sun and lack of treatment (I think I have cleaned it 5 or 6 times in those 14 years) is still in good shape except for the driver's side outside seat bottom cushion where the color has started to rub off from getting in and out of the vehicle many times over the years.

Bill
Old 07-11-2017, 02:50 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

And to throw another oddity in the mix. If you get the Competition Sport seats in a 3LT you get Mulan and not Nappa leather on the seats.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:35 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Been round and around with what exactly my 3LT C7 was! Best you can pin GM down appears to be it has Nappa leather "seating surface" and perhaps some on the dash but the rest is refereed to as soft touch materials! Is the red arm rest on my 2LT door Mulan Leather or vinyl? Who cares!
My previous 3LT looked good and had a nice leather odor that had not diminished in the two years I owned the car. I always thought the seats, dash (all of it), console, and door panels were all leather. GM says "Custom leather-wrapped interior (information panel, door panels, center console cover and seats)." I guess the "information panel" is the part above the DIC and Infotainment screen, so what is the rest of the dashboard?

Who cares? Not me, as I liked the 3LT I had but not $3400 worth over the 2LT. My new ride is a 2LT and I'm fine with it. I would bet its mostly synthetic material is more durable.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:10 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I just read the statistics for the 2017 Corvettes. How many were made, how many Grand Sports, Stingrays etc, etc. What truly surprised me the most was not 77% were automatics but that the vast majority of Grand Sports and Stingray's have the 1LT interiors and the ZO6's most have the 3LZ. I guess most people look for performance first and to get the most bang for their buck. Just saying.

However, I think out dealership down here has one out of over 80 Vettes in stock.

Last edited by Mike Campbell; 07-14-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:35 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I think some of that is a function of what dealers order. They tend to order 1LT black interiors. They don't offend and they are cheaper. It would be interesting to see the mix of choices for customer-ordered cars.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Old Racer
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Are you buying a Corvette or a sofa. You need to decide which you want.

I didn't buy my Corvette for the seating. I bought it for the performance......

Get notified of new replies

To Leather question 1LT vs 2LT vs 3LT

Quick Reply: Leather question 1LT vs 2LT vs 3LT