Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 blind spot rear view mirrors fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:09 AM
jimmac99
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C7 blind spot rear view mirrors fix?

Any recommendations for an insert that will eliminate this problem? Also, live in AZ. planning on driving to East Coast toward the end of August. Any thoughts about putting on a front end bra? Never liked the look but chips and scratches are worse. I'd appreciate hearing from any other C7 owner that uses one what they like or not like about putting one on. Finally, which maker has the best fit and which company sells it?

Thanks in advance.

Jim & Carol
Making the most of it.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

You will find numerous threads on this forum re how to set your mirrors to avoid the blind spot. Or view the Car Talk website: http://www.cartalk.com/content/avoiding-blind-spot-5

I've ridden thousands of miles with a friend in his C7. He uses a bra and similar covers on his mirrors on these trips and has avoided chips and other damage to the front of his car. His were made by Speed Lingerie: http://www.speedlingerie.com/corvette-C7.html
Old 08-13-2017, 03:49 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

You might want to consider a Novistretch bra. It's cheap, easy on/easy off, does not abrade the paint, and captures an amazing amount of stuff from bugs to pollen. It doesn't just cover the paint, but the entire front of the car, so it prevents a whole lot of stuff from embedding in the radiator and engine bay as well. This is something a paint coating like Xpel will not do. It provides minimal protection against rocks, but the fact is a sufficiently sized rock will go through anything but thick cow hide, including a thin paint coating. When you're back, spray it off with a hose and throw it in the washer. It comes out clean and ready to go again. Stores easily and you don't have to have it on all the time. https://www.novistretch.com/ and sold by several forum vendors and the NCM.

Last edited by mschuyler; 08-13-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:29 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,303 Posts

As first responder said - adjust mirrors properly no blind spot.

Bra.... too ugly..... extra coats of wax... respray front end every five six years if necessary.... I've got more than 600K miles in Vettes, 300K miles in P-cars, and 40K in Ferraris - bras: fugly.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:42 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Adjust mirrors correctly and get paint protection film.
The following users liked this post:
sTz (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 05:21 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

The blind-spots on the C7 are so much greater than even the marginal C6, even when your mirrors are adjusted properly, there is still much that is not visible between when they disappear from your (small) rearview and show up on the (small) side mirror.

I installed quarter rounds on mine, and while they don't cover as much terrain as full rounds, they swivel (to adjust) and fit the mirrors much better.

Virtually all auto parts stores carry these for ~$5.
JerryU (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I have no blind spots after adjusting mirrors correctly.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:05 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

If you have your mirrors adjusted correctly there is no blind spot. It does take some getting used to since most people think that they should see down the side of their car. Wrong!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:20 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

I don't care for bra's either but I bought a novi stretch for a trip I took. Well worth it!! Got to my destination took it off in 2 minutes and was bug free. I don't think it will help with chips though it's just a nylon bra, probably stop some stuff but it's not like it's the vinyl style.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:51 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

First a Novatech Bra is great and I use it for longer trips. Even made some mods to it can work with Stage 3 Winglests on my Grand Sport.

Second, there is a controversy about the need for blind sport mirrors by some of us! First, follow what the SAE Tech paper outlined in ~1995 about setting your mirrors, I have since about that time! In fact never needed blind spot mirrors in my '88, '93, '08 Vettes. As that paper outlined, you need good visibility through the center rear view mirror to have their mirror setting advice provide proper defensive driving NOT just to see the cars close to your rear fenders! Must watch as the cars move from the center mirror to the outside mirrors.

The C7 has a reduced rear view compared to my other Vettes.
My Grand Sport with it's Stage 2 aero spoiler side extensions is even worse, almost as bad as a Vert! I added a small oval blind spot mirror to my 2014 C7 and now my Grand Sport and fine it very effective.

Presented a graphic many use to show "how to set mirrors" taken from info in that 1995 SAE paper. However have to read what it says, which some don't! You must follow cars as they enter the side mirrors. That requires good viability in the center mirror!

Must read the text NOT just look at the pics! If the rear view is restricted (I made the shaded area in pic to represent a C7) you can't follow cars that are coming quickly into the area behind each fender. As the SAE Tech multi-page paper pointed out, it takes knowledge of all cars around you and that will be around you NOT just the ones currently on you rear fenders, for proper defensive driving!

First set your mirrors per the SAE Tech paper shown in other pic. Then add this small blind spot mirror that allows a wider, further back view of what is coming up fast on your left. Can see rear of my '34 and rear of the Grand Sport is small mirror!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-13-2017 at 10:01 PM.
owc6 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:51 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Good information already provided...

Have a safe trip Jim and Carol

Last edited by sTz; 08-13-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 370 Likes on 219 Posts

I use the Novistretch bra when I am travelling. Works great. Don't use any convex mirrors just adjust mirror to see the next lane over, don't care about seeing the side of my cars.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:10 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

A friend on a recent 3-week tour used a Novistretch-like bra on his car. It did not have a cut out for the front cameras and he thought it was easily damaged and would not buy another.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:18 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I agree that most people have no clue how to set their side mirrors. They seem to want to see the sides of their car, which is exactly what you don't need to see. Adjust as suggested above, and the problem is solved.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:35 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Beroza
If you have your mirrors adjusted correctly there is no blind spot. It does take some getting used to since most people think that they should see down the side of their car. Wrong!
This.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I agree that most people have no clue how to set their side mirrors. They seem to want to see the sides of their car, which is exactly what you don't need to see. Adjust as suggested above, and the problem is solved.
Yep, perhaps you're right and many folks don't know how to set mirrors to see cars directly behind each fender but that is NOT all that is needed for defensive driving! In fact I have been setting my mirrors "properly" since the SAE tech paper that was published in 1995!

Suggest you read post #6 by OWC6 and mine in #10!

You might also get a copy of the 1995 SAE paper on which all the "put your head on the driver's window etc etc," is based. It's called something like Why Blind Zones Exist & Strategies to Overcome Them. It clearly states you must follow cars from the center mirror as they move to your side mirrors and must have knowledge of all cars around you and those that will soon be! That requires a full view of the road in the rear. Never needed a "blind spot mirror" on my '88, '93 or '08 Vette coupes because they had good rear visibility. The C7 coupe does not! Even worse is my Grand Sport with Stage 2 aero package that has side extensions to the rear spoiler. Rear visibility is more like a Vert!

Bottom Line
Some of us who "know how to set our mirrors and have for years" feel the C7 needs more! We install small blind spot mirrors. IMO would be better to have what they do in Europe and have for years, which is allow convex drivers side mirrors like those used on the passenger side mirror. Has been tried to replace the old law that prevents convex driver's side mirrors in Congress for years. Probably some high paid lobbyist in DC getting paid by the autobody association to keep the current law!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-15-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 AM
volvos80
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I read all the discussions about setting the mirrors correctly - I also know that all other countries in the world allow convex mirrors (even progressive convex) on both sides. Normally for my Volvo's I import the Swedish convex mirror and replace on my car, and for the C7 I own I made a Corvette progressive convex by cutting a Volvo mirror (larger than the C7 one) down to size and with a heat gun replaced the entire glass in the vette frame. Actually did on both sides, and now I have a perfect (no blindspot whatsoever) view on both sides. Please contact me if you need more help how to get this work done.
JerryU (08-15-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 blind spot rear view mirrors fix?

Quick Reply: C7 blind spot rear view mirrors fix?