Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Go From a C5 ZO6 to C7 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Anyone Go From a C5 ZO6 to C7 GS?

I'm thinking of trading my 2004 C5 ZO6 (Z16) for a 2017 C7 Grand Sport.
Looking for opinions from anyone who has done it.
Thanks!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

I have both. 02 Z and 17 GS. It is like apples and oranges.

The C5 is a 20 year old design, though when new the C5 was state of the art and WAY ahead if the C4 it is technologically archaic compared to a C7.

That being said, I TRULY enjoy having the difference when taking each one out. The feel of each is unique to it's styling and construction.

Each generation of Corvette has it's own feel, performance and comfort levels and each one will give you a totally different reason to fall in love with them.

I guess what you need to ask yourself is what difference specifically do you want to know about? It will be easier to answer your question once we know what part you are comparing and why?

My personal synopsis: Want to take a trip: C7, Track: C5, Looking cool: Both, Having a great night "driving" C5, Attention get'er: C7
Old 07-16-2017, 10:32 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bajaholic

The C5 is a 20 year old design, though when new the C5 was state of the art and WAY ahead if the C4 it is technologically archaic compared to a C7.

That being said, I TRULY enjoy having the difference when taking each one out. The feel of each is unique to it's styling and construction.

Each generation of Corvette has it's own feel, performance and comfort levels and each one will give you a totally different reason to fall in love with them.

I guess what you need to ask yourself is what difference specifically do you want to know about? It will be easier to answer your question once we know what part you are comparing and why?

My personal synopsis: Want to take a trip: C7, Track: C5, Looking cool: Both, Having a great night "driving" C5, Attention get'er: C7

Thanks...for confusing me even more! LOL!
I really don't have any specific questions. The bottom line is I love my Z16...do the car show circuit....wknd cruises...cruise nights...driving around town...occasional trips....no problems with it...runs great. Having said that, when I saw the C7 GS in person for the first time, there was something about it! Made me start questioning if I should make the switch. Idealistically, the answer is simple, keep my Z AND get the GS. Realistically however, my bank acct prevents me from doing so.

Last edited by LIGHTNING; 07-16-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:43 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

I owned a Z16. Loved it loved it loved it..............
If you want to keep your Z16
DO NOT DRIVE A C7 Grand Sport................

They do not even play in the same park............

I just took my C7GS out for an evening cruise and this car gives me so
much more therapeutic enjoyment..........than my Z16.

When I do not regret selling a car, I know I made the right choice.
I am happy with my 17GS...........so much more of what I like and still
brings home the bacon.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:12 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
I owned a Z16. Loved it loved it loved it..............
If you want to keep your Z16
DO NOT DRIVE A C7 Grand Sport................

They do not even play in the same park............

I just took my C7GS out for an evening cruise and this car gives me so
much more therapeutic enjoyment..........than my Z16.

When I do not regret selling a car, I know I made the right choice.
I am happy with my 17GS...........so much more of what I like and still
brings home the bacon.
Wow! Interesting! Thanks for that!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:03 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I too had a Z16 Z06 that I purchased new in July of 2004. It was the latest and greatest in it's day and they are still great cars today, but with 14 years of tech.... the C7 GS is a much better Corvette!
The following users liked this post:
LIGHTNING (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a 2003 c5z till 6-6-17 when i traded it in for my 17gs.

The c5z wasnt stock of course, it had a forged 5.7, with a tune, cnced heads, cam, longtubes willwood brakes, bfg rivals. The car was a beast at 3100 lbs with 3/4 tank of gas and 438/408 wheel it was very aggressive.

The c7 gs is so much more well mannered, of course, as a 5.7 with a cam to make that much power is sort of a pita to street drive, specifically in traffic. But it is noticably more heavy.

Lots of computer stuff is clearly happening in the c7 which i cant say i love. The c5 was so angry and beast and without any question faster then the c7. Stock to stock they are pretty close to the same hp/pound but its hard for me to remember back to those days with the c5.

My current stance on the c7 is that i hope i don't loose time on the track. As I never got my c5 on the track after the motor was replaced cause i just didn't trust it wouldn't come apart again. Now its more a battle of trusting the computers in the c7 to not kill me on track.

The c7 turnin is totally insane, the way it manages grip is really crazy. I am just concerned by next year when i put it on track I wont know how to actually drive anymore, I will be too used to mashing pedals with no regard cause the car is too good at driving itself.

The c7 brakes are VERY good. I still wouldn't run it without track pads, as that just seem suicidal, but for 1-2 high speed braking manuvers they are heads and shoulders better then the stock setup or sl6's on a c5z.

As really great of a street car as a stock c5z is, the c7 gs is definately better. Turning off all the nannies on a 20k car is one thing. On a new 75k car is a bit different, so it will be interesting to see how it feels on track. I ran my c5 in comp mode plenty and it was quite unintrusive unless i was trying to run a hero lap. I feel like even on the street i constantly am interacting with traction control esc or ptm in the c7, so that will be interesting on track.
KnightIndustries (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 11:45 AM
KnightIndustries
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bajaholic

Since you can drive them back to back, which cars "feels" faster in a straight line, which is more compliant or stiff, which is louder inside, which has more or less room, etc? What's the direct comparative driving experience...looks, trip comfort and "being cool" all aside?

I'm sure the C7GS's steering is far superior, and the interior fitment/finish far better. On paper though, the two are very close in straight line performance, as the C5Z is substantially lighter.

What's the real nitty gritty?
Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 PM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I currently own a heavily modified C5 Z, a stock C6 Z, and a '17 GS. It's only a matter of time before I hang a For Sale sign on both the C5 and C6.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:31 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightIndustries
Since you can drive them back to back, which cars "feels" faster in a straight line, which is more compliant or stiff, which is louder inside, which has more or less room, etc? What's the direct comparative driving experience...looks, trip comfort and "being cool" all aside?

I'm sure the C7GS's steering is far superior, and the interior fitment/finish far better. On paper though, the two are very close in straight line performance, as the C5Z is substantially lighter.

What's the real nitty gritty?
Let me start out by saying, your questions are really not as easy to answer as you might think. basically because the 17 GS is so exponentially advanced in technology and ride compared to the C5Z it truly is not in the same playing field.

Here is why (if anyone has owned older Vettes ie: Midyears and Sharks, this will hit home): The loudness, stiffer ride and shifting (my GS is a automatic) of the Z, gives you the illusion you are going faster and working it harder. It takes more control and the car is more user involved. The newer the cars, the more the computer makes you look good, drive harder and faster with less chance for a catastrophic error.

I do not formally track any of my cars, just for fun at a event will I run a course. So I will personally never take my cars to the limit, but will certainly push them to my comfort level.

It was always a joke at an event that those that tried to drive the car (computers off) were most always slower than those of us that let the car make the adjustments. and I think this is the same in comparing the 2 cars today.

OK, Fit and finish: my C5 is 15 years old, but it only has 21K miles on it, so it still mostly solid and rattle free. The seats are no where near as tight as the GS But the radio/Stereo sucks in the C5.(I am a fan of XM) The GS is new.... And as one would expect, Very nice and rattle free. The new dash etc is certainly nice, I love the stitching of the C7's. The GS is MUCH quieter in the cabin area.

The only downfall I feel in the GS is missing the extra storage compared to the C5 (rear cubby holes). And here is my personal biggest pet peeve, The Top is removable in the GS, Personally I prefer the Fixed roof, it just seems wrong to me to have a weakening of the structure in a car that can be tracked, but again, that is just me...

The looks we get: The C7/GS is hands down the current magnet to get attention, The C5's are an older design and people have seen them for many years, so it is not nearly as big of deal as the look of the GS, People LOVE to see the tire/stance from behind on the GS. It is why most of us went GS over Stingray, right?

I have had many Corvettes over the years (45 so far) and each and every style has it's place in history and enjoyment to drive. As an example: Our 54 was the most archaic piece you ever drove but ALWAYS put a HUGE smile on your face to drive it (until a bug went in your mouth) The Midyears were loud, especially when you had factory off road side exhaust and even louder when it was a coupe and big block car, but too this day, NOTHING is better than the sound of the secondaries kicking in on that car!, Did I mention it was deafening loud? The Sharks, the squat then shoot from a lying position, had awfull power, but gave the illusion it was flying. The C4's, well it was one with the car... You did not just jump in and drive it, it was part of your sole. And finally comparing the C6 to the C5, REFINEMENT and Power... I always called my 09 Z the rocket ship on rails...Personally I preferred the Z06 over the ZR1, Had both, but felt the Z06 was more fun to drive because it was more nimble when given the power.

So see, it is not that simple... I hope I confused you even more, because one can never have enough of all there is to offer in Corvette land!
Dave Hrejsa (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 09:06 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

c5z c6z c7gs
ggroller (07-19-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Go From a C5 ZO6 to C7 GS?

Quick Reply: Anyone Go From a C5 ZO6 to C7 GS?