Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 ZR-1 Limited to 1,000 Units?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:59 PM
RonBurgAM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 2018 ZR-1 Limited to 1,000 Units?!?

Friend of a friend sees my Z06 and after some talking states that he has direct knowledge of some parts being made for a new limited edition Vette. I can't say how he has this knowledge but it seems legit. I'll share as much as I can without (hopefully) implicating my source.

He knows of 3 parts being made. All are compression molded SMC. Two are located somewhere near the rear windows. Shaped like hockey sticks, length is shoulder width apart. Of note is that there is a channel integrated for rear brake cooling.

The other part was described as triangular but with more sides. They way he made the shape with his hands in the air was like a Transformers face. Angular, triangular jaw at the bottom and ears. Maybe something for the hood intake?

He was not super knowledgeable with Corvette but I asked a ton of questions and got a few small nuggets. These parts will be finished and also painted. So apparently they are visible. I also asked about major changes and explained the ME rumors and that doesn't appear to be it. The real interesting info is that 100 parts have been made of each already, supposedly saleable. But maybe the most interesting thing he said was that this is a special model that is limited to 1000 units.

That is literally everything of note from the conversation. He believed everything that he told me. Not sure if any of it was filtered before it got to him but it seemed legit. We'll find out soon but certainly interesting and adds to the speculation. Doesn't make sense initially that they would limit this model to 1000 but you never know. I am super curious to see what of this ends up being true but think it will be pretty accurate.

>>>Well some back-tracking is in order. Just got a follow-up text claiming that these parts are for a rear engine vehicle that will be out in 2020. Guess this could be the C8 but who the hell knows. Sounds like it has nothing to do with the ZR-1. And ultimately none of this is particularly useful information. Sorry for wasting your time. Feel free to flame!

Last edited by RonBurgAM; 07-17-2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Clarifying a dumb post :P
Old 07-16-2017, 11:19 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Rumors......all rumors.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:27 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

The last "special" model limited to 1000 units was the Collector Edition, except it didn't make 1000 units--something like 930 or so. Ironically, many other iterations were made in far fewer units, e.g. LBR verts at 230 or so, so the so-called "Collector Editions" are more common than many other variants. So would GM actually paint 1000 units in advance? That seems unlikely to me. Also, for GM to limit the ZR-1 to 1000 units would be counter-productive. The object is to increase sales well beyond +1000, so I'm not seeing the scenario you describe myself.
The following users liked this post:
ron landgraf (07-17-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 11:31 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I wouldn't be surprised of a limited run, in a ME. The ZR1 to me would not be...unless they did some limited edition within the ZR1 production.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Its ALWAYS a friend of a friend who knows someone!
Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
I wouldn't be surprised of a limited run, in a ME. The ZR1 to me would not be.
I think it might be the other way around...
Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

More about nothing.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:29 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

I heard it was going to be made with all left-hand-threaded bolts and screws. So it's easier to work on for lefties and can turn faster. Also, no windshield for the first model year
Old 07-17-2017, 08:34 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Sounds more like Ford with the limited nonsense. In a capitalist society, you sell as much as you can.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Sounds more like Ford with the limited nonsense. In a capitalist society, you sell as much as you can.
It could well be a limited production "track only" model that is meant to fix the C7Z's heating reputation and stir up some interest in the current model while we await the C8. That'd make sense.

Total speculation though.

And in a capitalist society, sometimes you limit supply, depending on the shape of the supply and demand curves ala Econ 101. Just ask De Beers.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:40 PM
LDYSTIG
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Good god, this is worse than the girl's gossip forum at my local junior high.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:49 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Fake News!
Old 07-17-2017, 02:50 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

I don't imagine a vehicle manufacturer sharing with a parts supplier information on how many vehicles the manufacturer plans to produce. Even the number of parts ordered isn't indicative of anything as parts are made for many more reasons than just new vehicle assembly.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

My neighbor's brother-in-law works for a firm near Detroit, which makes among other things, floor mats for motorcycles. Anyway, he claims that they're making the handle bar grips for the mid engine vette, which is set to debut next July at Comic-con in San Diego.
sunsalem (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 03:09 PM
tarepas
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts

Almost all special editions have had LARGE numbers produced. Except the 2015 Atlantic Edition. The lowest RPO of any series Corvette Only 17 produced
Old 07-17-2017, 03:50 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Glenn, would the other things be muffler bearings ?

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 07-17-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Glenn Quagmire (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 04:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
I don't imagine a vehicle manufacturer sharing with a parts supplier information on how many vehicles the manufacturer plans to produce. Even the number of parts ordered isn't indicative of anything as parts are made for many more reasons than just new vehicle assembly.
When the 2006 C6 Z06 was under development GM contracted with the carbon fiber supplier and contracted with the company molding the front fenders for 7,000 of each front fender(right & left) for the 2006 Z06. GM knew exactly how many Z06's it planned to produce in 2006 and contracted for that amount of Z06 parts to be produced, the Vermont Composites knew exactly how many cars would be built with the front fenders it was to mold for GM.

Press release...

"Vermont Composites to Produce Carbon Fiber Fenders for GM's Corvette Z06

Vermont Governor Douglas and Dave Hill of General Motors visited Vermont Composites on Tuesday, May 10 to celebrate the announcement that the company will be producing carbon fiber fenders for the new Corvette Z06. Both Vermont Composites and General Motors believe that production of this part represents a major step forward in the application of carbon fibers to high production automobiles.
Vermont Composites has worked closely with General Motors for the past year to develop a light weight front fender for GM's new 2006 Corvette Z06. This car was introduced to the public last January at the North American Automobile Show in Detroit , Michigan and will be available at dealers in Q4 2005.
The use of carbon fiber composites saves a total of 5.5 kilograms (12.1 lbs) for the two front fenders, compared to the standard RIM molded parts used on other Corvettes. Each fender weighs approximately 1.7 kilograms (3.8 lbs). The fenders are delivered to General Motors ready for application of the final color top coat and subsequent assembly onto the car.

And another article....

" When Tier 1 manufacturer MacLean Quality Composites (West Jordan, Utah) successfully molded, autoclave-cured and delivered 2,100 carbon/epoxy prepreg exterior hood panels for the Z06 LeMans (see "Editor's Picks," at right), the landmark achievement spurred GM engineers to pursue more carbon on a future model. A Z06 was not built for model-year 2005, but 7,000 were slated for 2006, offering an ideal platform for pushing the production envelope for autoclaved prepreg."

"During the hood project, Lasell was the R&D product engineer at GM responsible for its design and validation. As the hood was moved forward into production, Lasell began development of a carbon fender, but shortly thereafter returned to his home state of Vermont and went back to work with former employer Vermont Composites. GM approached him there and asked Vermont to validate the fender production. Before bidding on the fender contract, however, Vermont had to prove not only to GM but to itself as well, that production of 7,000 sets of fenders was feasible."

So, yes, certain outside suppliers do know how many parts are ordered by GM ahead of actual automobile production, and they then supply that amount. The supplier has to know the quantity so thy know how to set up production for those parts and to also to bid on the parts.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-17-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 ZR-1 Limited to 1,000 Units?!?

Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
In a capitalist society, you sell make as much profit as you can.

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
It could well be a limited production "track only" model that is meant to fix the C7Z's heating reputation and stir up some interest in the current model while we await the C8. That'd make sense.
Agreed.

And in a capitalist society, sometimes you limit supply, depending on the shape of the supply and demand curves ala Econ 101. Just ask De Beers.
Ferrari limits supply to keep prices high...not just on NEW cars, but on the Ferrari used car market as well.

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Even the number of parts ordered isn't indicative of anything as parts are made for many more reasons than just new vehicle assembly.
True.

Last edited by sunsalem; 07-17-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Can Vette
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Still speculation...but we've seen 2 versions of the (assumed) ZR1 ... perhaps the vr with the huge wing is in fact a limited edition, while the other is the standard ZR1?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:24 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
When the 2006 C6 Z06 was under development GM contracted with the carbon fiber supplier and contracted with the company molding the front fenders for 7,000 of each front fender(right & left) for the 2006 Z06. GM knew exactly how many Z06's it planned to produce in 2006 and contracted for that amount of Z06 parts to be produced, the Vermont Composites knew exactly how many cars would be built with the front fenders it was to mold for GM.

Press release...

"Vermont Composites to Produce Carbon Fiber Fenders for GM's Corvette Z06

Vermont Governor Douglas and Dave Hill of General Motors visited Vermont Composites on Tuesday, May 10 to celebrate the announcement that the company will be producing carbon fiber fenders for the new Corvette Z06. Both Vermont Composites and General Motors believe that production of this part represents a major step forward in the application of carbon fibers to high production automobiles.
Vermont Composites has worked closely with General Motors for the past year to develop a light weight front fender for GM's new 2006 Corvette Z06. This car was introduced to the public last January at the North American Automobile Show in Detroit , Michigan and will be available at dealers in Q4 2005.
The use of carbon fiber composites saves a total of 5.5 kilograms (12.1 lbs) for the two front fenders, compared to the standard RIM molded parts used on other Corvettes. Each fender weighs approximately 1.7 kilograms (3.8 lbs). The fenders are delivered to General Motors ready for application of the final color top coat and subsequent assembly onto the car.

And another article....

" When Tier 1 manufacturer MacLean Quality Composites (West Jordan, Utah) successfully molded, autoclave-cured and delivered 2,100 carbon/epoxy prepreg exterior hood panels for the Z06 LeMans (see "Editor's Picks," at right), the landmark achievement spurred GM engineers to pursue more carbon on a future model. A Z06 was not built for model-year 2005, but 7,000 were slated for 2006, offering an ideal platform for pushing the production envelope for autoclaved prepreg."

"During the hood project, Lasell was the R&D product engineer at GM responsible for its design and validation. As the hood was moved forward into production, Lasell began development of a carbon fender, but shortly thereafter returned to his home state of Vermont and went back to work with former employer Vermont Composites. GM approached him there and asked Vermont to validate the fender production. Before bidding on the fender contract, however, Vermont had to prove not only to GM but to itself as well, that production of 7,000 sets of fenders was feasible."

So, yes, certain outside suppliers do know how many parts are ordered by GM ahead of actual automobile production, and they then supply that amount. The supplier has to know the quantity so thy know how to set up production for those parts and to also to bid on the parts.
That number does not correlate to number of vehicles produced.
GM has to account for damage in transit, pieces not installed at factory due to a defect, orders from dealers and body shops, orders from customers, pieces used for compliance testing.

Quick Reply: 2018 ZR-1 Limited to 1,000 Units?!?