Sponsored by:

Why are so many Corvette owners so cheap

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:51 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by entman
Why is cost brought up all the time ? Audi and BMW are well engineered automobiles, have terrific interiors and are a quality brand.
You already answered your own question earlier. I bought my Corvette due to the value. I could have paid more or bought something else. There are many others in this situation. However, you have to remember that this is still an aspirational car and some people may overextend themselves buying one. Plus since there is a great pedigree, similar to the 911, you have that point in depreciation where younger, less affluent buyers are picking up a corvette as a second or third owner and it’s a lot of money for them. I’m 52 and this is the most expensive car I’ve ever bought. I’m not Elon Musk.
The following 4 users liked this post by C82LT:
65fastback (05-19-2018), CorvetteBrent (05-21-2018), Keeladron (07-25-2017), RVC (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Why is cost brought up all the time ? Audi and BMW are well engineered automobiles, have terrific interiors and are a quality brand. I do not own either one but appreciate what they are.
Really?

Let me connect the dots. You are paying a huge premium for a badge and that premium includes a better dealer experience. Its built into the cost.

It's like buying a hamburger at McDonalds then expecting Ruth Chris service.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (05-21-2018)
Old 07-17-2017, 09:58 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

So are you saying corvette owners are like Warren Buffet ?
Actually I bet many Corvette owners are well off but are thrifty with their money.

Just like there are lots of BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc owners who had to lease because they could not afford to buy the vehicle. I know lots of people who stretch to get into the German badges and probably should be driving a Cruz or Focus.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:58 PM
entman
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
Really?

Let me connect the dots. You are paying a huge premium for a badge and that premium includes a better dealer experience. Its built into the cost.

It's like buying a hamburger at McDonalds then expecting Ruth Chris service.
If GM wants to sell cars that compete with the big boys then they should offer a dealer experience similar to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus , Jaguar etc. in my opinion.

Originally Posted by WGGS
You already answered your own question earlier. I bought my Corvette due to the value. I could have paid more or bought something else. There are many others in this situation. However, you have to remember that this is still an aspirational car and some people may overextend themselves buying one. Plus since there is a great pedigree, similar to the 911, you have that point in depreciation where younger, less affluent buyers are picking up a corvette as a second or third owner and it’s a lot of money for them. I’m 52 and this is the most expensive car I’ve ever bought. I’m not Elon Musk.
Not too many people say I bought a 911 because of the value. ..."I could have paid more for something else". The 911 has always offered less performance than the corvette but for some reason they attract a different buyer , why do you think that is ?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-17-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:02 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Pardon me, but.....

"Value" is the key here, IMO.

Last edited by COvert-red; 07-17-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

If GM wants to sell cars that are 70-110 k then they should have a dealer experience similar to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus , Jaguar etc. in my opinion.
I have had great service from my Chevy dealer. There are about 10 dealers with an hour or so and I asked around on the forums and found one that has a great tech. I could care less if they serve Starbucks and have a fancy waiting room, but then again I also paid just $47K for my barely used Corvette so I am probably one of those cheap Corvette guys you complain about.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 PM
entman
Advanced

I have had great service from my Chevy dealer. There are about 10 dealers with an hour or so and I asked around on the forums and found one that has a great tech. I could care less if they serve Starbucks and have a fancy waiting room, but then again I also paid just $47K for my barely used Corvette so I am probably one of those cheap Corvette guys you complain about.
I agree I could care less about the fancy waiting room. I had to tell the service tech. to put rubber or wood on the lift before putting my car up in the air so as not to damage my body work. I then had to remind him to use mobile 1 oil. I feel like I have look over the shoulder of the work being done.
woodsguy (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Not too many people say I bought a 911 because of the value. ..."I could have paid more for something else". The 911 has always offered less performance than the corvette but for some reason they attract a different buyer , why do you think that is ?
Because Porsche is a status symbol for most buyers. Many people are obsessed with status. This is also why many 911 owners turn their nose on Cayman and Boxster owners... Or 996 owners.

I agree I could care less about the fancy waiting room. I had to tell the service tech. to put rubber or wood on the lift before putting my car up in the air so as not to damage my body work. I then had to remind him to use mobile 1 oil. I feel like I have look over the shoulder of the work being done.
Find your closest Corvette club in the area and ask around the forums. They will tell you where the best techs are.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-17-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
The following 4 users liked this post by thill444:
bgspot (07-25-2017), CorvetteBrent (05-21-2018), Mike Campbell (05-19-2018), ptran00 (05-19-2018)
Old 07-17-2017, 10:10 PM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

To me my car was expensive! Even at half the price of a Porsche which I couldn't afford. It doesn't matter how much more something else is especially if I can't afford it!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:13 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

^^^ This.......
Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 PM
entman
Advanced

Because Porsche is a status symbol for most buyers. Many people are obsessed with status. This is also why many 911 owners turn their nose on Cayman and Boxster owners... Or 996 owners.
That was not the reason I enjoyed my 911's. In fact I drove into a Porsche dealer back in 2006 on my Harley and left with my first new 911. I was not planning on buying a porsche that day. It just happened. I drove the car and fell in love with the handling. It was the first generation of the 997. In 2009 porsche came out with a direct injection engine which mildly improved performance and traded for a 2009 and in 2013 the 991 came out so traded to that. This is where I lost interest in the brand as this was the first car that had electric steering . The magic of the 911 was the road feel, the engine in the back gave amazing traction and the front end was so light that steering made you feel one with the car. If you get an opportunity to drive a 997 do it, while it does not have the acceleration of the vette it is one of the most fun cars you can drive. I like all cars not just one brand. The porsche has many enthusiast for other reasons than status.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:24 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

That was not the reason I enjoyed my 911's. In fact I drove into a Porsche dealer back in 2006 on my Harley and left with my first new 911. I was not planning on buying a porsche that day. It just happened. I drove the car and fell in love with the handling. It was the first generation of the 997. In 2009 porsche came out with a direct injection engine which mildly improved performance and traded for a 2009 and in 2013 the 991 came out so traded to that. This is where I lost interest in the brand as this was the first car that had electric steering . The magic of the 911 was the road feel, the engine in the back gave amazing traction and the front end was so light that steering made you feel one with the car. If you get an opportunity to drive a 997 do it, while it does not have the acceleration of the vette it is one of the most fun cars you can drive. I like all cars not just one brand. The porsche has many enthusiast for other reasons than status.
Oh, I love Porsche too and I agree there are many enthusiasts. In fact I was planning on buying a 2014 Cayman S, and then drove the C7 and that was it for me. But some 911 owners definitely look down on Cayman and Boxster owners because they cost considerably less to get into the brand.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:26 PM
nuke_1
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Its this kind of mentality that makes me sad to be part of the corvette community.
Maybe you should re read the post and digest it so you thoroughly understand before making an arrogant comment. I think you should also go back in time and look at real estate prices across the country. My new vette MSRP is less then I paid for my house 25 years ago not much, but that is not the point here...

Last edited by nuke_1; 07-17-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:30 PM
Mrvettt
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

You blew it with your first two posts. You don't sound like a Corvette fan anyway.

Rick
Old 07-17-2017, 10:35 PM
entman
Advanced

Oh, I love Porsche too and I agree there are many enthusiasts. In fact I was planning on buying a 2014 Cayman S, and then drove the C7 and that was it for me. But some 911 owners definitely look down on Cayman and Boxster owners because they cost considerably less to get into the brand.
I traded in a 6 month old 2013 911 for a 2014 Z51 corvette. To me the C7 was the best looking GM car since the C2. The C7 handled great and finally had a decent 3LT interior. I did have a problem with my rear differential and GM put me into a 2015 for a deal I could not say no to, which was a wonderful car. I ordered a C7 Z06 convertible (before the Grand
sport was out) and it is a major performance upgrade. While I can not take advantage of the performance of this car, it is a very special feat of engineering . As for the Cayman and Boxster they are both great handling cars but to me are a little too underpowered, you made the right decision.

Originally Posted by nuke_1
Maybe you should re read the post and digest it so you thoroughly understand before making an arrogant comment. I think you should also go back in time and look at real estate prices across the country. My new vette MSRP is less then I paid for my house 25 years ago not much, but that is not the point here...
Ok 25 years ago makes sense however today that house is worth more than it was back then. My first home 30 years ago was about the price of my Z06 today however now that home would be worth 5 or 6 cars. A year of college was 5 k when I went and now its 60 k for one year.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-17-2017 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:40 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Some of the cheapest bastards you'll run across are also some of the wealthiest.
LimeRay (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 PM
entman
Advanced

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Some of the cheapest bastards you'll run across are also some of the wealthiest.
Depends on your definition

Get notified of new replies

To Why are so many Corvette owners so cheap

Old 07-17-2017, 10:44 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Depends on your definition
You might be surprised.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:45 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Its this kind of mentality that makes me sad to be part of the corvette community.
How, exactly, would you describe "the Corvette community?"

By reading this forum [too much, recently], it would appear that one has to be a schizophrenic spend-thrift willing to "murder the ****" outta one's new car with blacked-out stick on's - on the way to a "blessing" ceremony of the 666 car, having suffered through the high-tech "bliss" of a f'ing V-4 torque vector...just to qualify (if yours ain't shakin', everyone else is fakin') and all....

How, I say how are you all enjoying these cars? Where are you taking them, what are you doing with them, to them, and did it work or not.....??

Is there a site that is more attuned to the driving and engineering aspects of the model? The "mechanical community," as it were?

Tanx-

Last edited by COvert-red; 07-17-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Well, I do have to say I cringe about taking my Corvette to a Chevrolet dealer. Domestic brand dealerships tend not to know how to treat a customer differently who paid $75k for their Tahoe or Corvette vs someone who bought a Cruze. It’s a much different experience at the Audi and BMW dealerships.
Actually I found the local Audi dealership to be the rudest bunch of people I've ever experienced. I'll go to the Chevy dealership over them any day of the week.

Quick Reply: Why are so many Corvette owners so cheap