Why are so many Corvette owners so cheap

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad

Warren has a lot of stock, he would never blow money on anything as stupid or pointless as a mansion. Or a sports car.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is a bigger waste of money than cars, particularly for the johnny lunchpails who typically buy them.
Hmm, the dude is 87- 12 years older than myself. When he gets to the Pearly Gates and is asked “What toys have you had?” All he can show is several billion dollars in stock certifictes!

As the saying goes, “He who dies with the most toys-wins!” It does not say the most stock certificates!”
The following 3 users liked this post by JerryU:
millsy (05-20-2018), patentcad (05-20-2018), ptran00 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Really?

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=87939&page=1

Considering a million dollars in invested assets will throw off a safe withdrawal (4%) of $40,000 annually, basically forever, I'd say it's a very big deal.
Is a 20-year old statement (1998) about the number of millionaires in the US really relevant to anything today, including the price of Corvettes?
Old 05-20-2018, 02:26 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Really?

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=87939&page=1

Considering a million dollars in invested assets will throw off a safe withdrawal (4%) of $40,000 annually, basically forever, I'd say it's a very big deal.
I think it depends on your age. At 30 it's a big deal. At 70, it's not such a big deal. It's not that hard to have a net worth of a million bucks over 50 years of working, investing, home value appreciation, etc. That's basically like socking away, I'm guessing, $7-8k a year (present value) every year and buying an index fund with it and buying a home at some point in your life.

It's like when I see people in their mid 50's with their mid life crisis outfits and age inappropriate haircuts acting like ballers at a bar. Congratulations- after 55 year of existence, you can afford a $7000 watch and $200 worth of drinks.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 02:32 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

More recent data, just in case anyone is interested:

https://dqydj.com/net-worth-brackets...s-one-percent/
ptran00 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 02:42 PM
zergi06
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by entman
If GM wants to sell cars that compete with the big boys then they should offer a dealer experience similar to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus , Jaguar etc. in my opinion.

Not too many people say I bought a 911 because of the value. ..."I could have paid more for something else". The 911 has always offered less performance than the corvette but for some reason they attract a different buyer , why do you think that is ?
I’ve owned four BMWs include two 750i’s, Audi’s, Lexus, and three Corvettes. Those dealer experiences were no different than my most recent Corvette experience. BMW dealer gives you water, coffee, and a nice leather bag from the gift shop. That was the only difference and to that I say whoopie eff’n do. I’ll take the Corvette all day over any of those cars.

Never owned a Porsche and never will. I can go buy one tomorrow but i absolutely hate the look of them. To each is own.
The following 2 users liked this post by zergi06:
ptran00 (05-20-2018), Steve Garrett (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 03:17 PM
ptran00
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, the dude is 87- 12 years older than myself. When he gets to the Pearly Gates and is asked “What toys have you had?” All he can show is several billion dollars in stock certifictes!

As the saying goes, “He who dies with the most toys-wins!” It does not say the most stock certificates!”
I would like to add to that "He who dies with the most life experiences wins such as traveling the world, raising a family (especially blessed if you have both a son and daughter to get to share the life experiences of a boy or girl in youth sports or arts)."

Last edited by ptran00; 05-20-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

TLDR...

I am very successful by some measures and a pauper by others including some here. I've spent a life in service to others and now happily (and admittedly selfishly) spending my kid's inheritance while I can enjoy it.

The current Corvette is an amazing piece of kit regardless of price point. To the OP's thought, he (or she) is completely on-point:
I came to the C7 after owning 3 brand new Porsche 911's . I think the Corvette is inexpensive . To buy a Porsche convertible with the same performance of Z06 3LT convertible you would have to spend double the price. The corvette is wonderful performance car.
I opted for a Corvette and specifically a Z06 convertible because I enjoy it and respect it, taking nothing for granted. I am "cheap" by many measures, doing my own oil changes (partly because I want to ensure it's done properly) and I obsessively shop value. That is why I bought a Z06 at exactly the point in time that I did.

I guess I could have opted for another vehicle, but it wouldn't be a Corvette. There are head-to-head comparisons that have been discussed ad nauseam but there is an amazing "feel" to a Corvette that thankfully has been retained in the C7. Some of its rough edges are annoying to some but endearing to some of us. I giggle a little every time I drive it...

One thing that is annoying is how GM treats their customers in general. I'm not looking for a red carpet welcome and trumpets when I come in for service but I can say I don't appreciate the inept service departments. I honestly believe the Corvette should either shift to it's own brand (not optimal) or become part of the Cadillac portfolio which will never happen.

The other thing that is at times annoying is the elitist attitude exuded by some in our own community...

Allen
ptran00 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Just because the Corvette to you is not expensive doesnt mean it isnt for some of us. It is expensive to me thats why I bought a nice used one. It was the most I ever paid for car I can afford it but its a stretch on the budget. The 2015 is my 4th Corvette. It Its nice that you have the funds and its cheap for you So if dont want to hear about it being expensive dont read posts here. We are from all walks of life some of us are middle class and some are wealthy so what we all enjoy Corvettes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jmhornz71:
Allen_B (05-20-2018), ptran00 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by entman
I am so tired of people who think that a corvette is expensive or complain about how 13 k for a used vette breaks the bank. I came to the C7 after owning 3 brand new porsche 911's . I think the corvette is inexpensive . To buy a porsche convertible with the same performance of Z06 3LT convertible you would have to spend double the price. The corvette is wonderful performance car.
Flame on
This is a very broad generalization, but I don't see any supporting evidence here. Also it sounds like the people complaining about the $13K price of a particular used Corvette aren't even owners yet, so the statement wouldn't apply to owners. Of course, no information was presented about the year and condition of said Corvette.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:56 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Is a 20-year old statement (1998) about the number of millionaires in the US really relevant to anything today, including the price of Corvettes?
I was replying to someone who claimed being a millionaire wasn't any big deal. Maybe you'll prefer from 2017?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/24/a-re...udy-shows.html

As of the end of 2016, there were a record 10.8 million millionaires nationwide, according to a new study from Spectrem Group's Market Insights Report 2017. That's more than ever before and marks a 400,000 person increase from the previous year.

The increase is thanks to a recovery of the U.S. economy since the Great Recession in 2008 and the Wall Street rally that followed the election of Donald Trump, according to George Walper, Jr., President of Spectrem Group.
So 10.8 million out of 325.7 million (2017 population) is 3.3%

EDIT: Looks like they might mean households not individuals so closer to 10% as the other article says

And that's the good news. Then comes this:

At the same time that there is a record number of millionaires in the U.S., the middle class is shrinking. The percent of American adults who are considered middle-income fell from 55 percent in 2000 to 52 percent in 2014, according to a 2016 report from the Pew Research Center.

And increasing numbers of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck. One in three say they couldn't come up with $2,000 if faced with an emergency like an urgent home repair, medical crisis or car accident. Meanwhile, even affluent two-income households report feeling pinched.

Last edited by pdiddy972; 05-20-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:59 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Originally Posted by village idiot
I think it depends on your age. At 30 it's a big deal. At 70, it's not such a big deal. It's not that hard to have a net worth of a million bucks over 50 years of working, investing, home value appreciation, etc. That's basically like socking away, I'm guessing, $7-8k a year (present value) every year and buying an index fund with it and buying a home at some point in your life.

It's like when I see people in their mid 50's with their mid life crisis outfits and age inappropriate haircuts acting like ballers at a bar. Congratulations- after 55 year of existence, you can afford a $7000 watch and $200 worth of drinks.
If it's so easy why are there so few out of the country (10% of households) which includes all the people you described (young who are outliers as well as all the older folks who've had the opportunity to do what you described)? I feel like you guys have surrounded yourselves with people like yourself to the point you're making assumptions about reality that aren't accurate.

Last edited by pdiddy972; 05-20-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:00 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

If it's so easy why are there so few out of the country (3% - 4%) which includes all the people you described (young who are outliers as well as all the older folks who've had the opportunity to do what you described)? I feel like you guys have surrounded yourselves with people like yourself to the point you're making assumptions about reality that aren't accurate.
I didn't say it was easy. I said it wasn't a big deal.
Attached Images  

Last edited by village idiot; 05-20-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:10 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Originally Posted by village idiot

I didn't say it was easy. I said it wasn't a big deal.
How do you read that chart? It says it's showing median for the different colored groups but then they're in a massive range, like the top one shows the upper quintile having a "median" household net worth of between 500k and 1.3 million. How can a range be a median?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 PM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm cheap because I have two kids in private school who ride horses at a private stable. A wife and daughter who go shopping all the time and most of all I pay for our own health insurance!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:41 PM
Aramis76
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

One thing i've read recently that may help in this topic:

"Rich people stay rich because they act poor and poor people stay poor because they act rich"

To me, that sums up so many situations...
The following 3 users liked this post by Aramis76:
JoesC5 (06-18-2018), millsy (05-20-2018), Skid Row Joe (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 08:49 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by nuke_1
I agree it's all relevant.
But some people are spending more on a new Vette then others spend for a house or maybe they spent for their first, maybe second house so in that case they are expensive! If you are buying exotics and then buy a Vette then yes they are a bargain.
I know places in this country where one can buy a whole city block for the price of a new Z06. I know other places where you can't buy any house for the cost of a new Z06.

It all depends on where you live.

BTW:: place A is Sedan or Cedarvale Kansas, place B is San Jose Ca.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:52 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

What gets Warren excited is investing, not stuff like cars and boats. Everybody is different. I love cars and I splurged a bit on a Corvette, but by the time I did i had a bunch of money in the bank that I never did when I was younger, and I never would have spent that dough on something like this before my retirement and kid's college was all funded. While I love cars like you guys, I'm well aware what a face palm they are from a money standpoint. And I STILL felt a LITTLE guilty about it. Sigh. I know that's kind of wrong, but that's how I'm wired.

But money isn't everything baby. I just wish indulging my automotive desires wasn't so expensive. At the same time I'm grateful that GM makes a high performance car for a more affordable price than all the other ones.

Get notified of new replies

To Why are so many Corvette owners so cheap

Old 05-20-2018, 08:56 PM
HOCKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Quick question. Why are we even having this conversation. I love my Vettes.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:33 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by HOCKEY
Quick question. Why are we even having this conversation. I love my Vettes.
Your lack of self-doubt, guilt, drama and angst serves as a role model for us all.

But where's the fun in that?
The following 2 users liked this post by patentcad:
G8R-Vette (05-20-2018), Jmhornz71 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 07:21 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Why are so many human beings on this earth so self centered and cheap?

Subset are corvette owners who wear that “bang for the buck” mantra to an extreme degree that borders on absurd.....

Posting on a corvette forum this titled thread is to evoke an attention getting response..

I do find the idea of not driving any car and storing it in a garage to protect it from the elements it was designed to deal with weird....but that’s my opinion for myself..

Anybody who wants to utilize their corvette as a trophy because it’s so beautiful is cool to do as they wish.,,

How anyone finds happiness in life is their business as long as it doesn’t infringe on others.

Quick Reply: Why are so many Corvette owners so cheap