Sponsored by:

Why are so many Corvette owners so cheap

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:14 AM
ShadowB
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by entman
I am so tired of people who think that a corvette is expensive or complain about how 13 k for a used vette breaks the bank. I came to the C7 after owning 3 brand new porsche 911's . I think the corvette is inexpensive . To buy a porsche convertible with the same performance of Z06 3LT convertible you would have to spend double the price. The corvette is wonderful performance car.
Flame on
Considering SUV & Truck prices I dont think most people think Vettes are expensive. Perhaps on a cost-to-practicality ratio people may say they are. I.e. they aren’t going to buy a Corvette when they can get an Escalade and et al instead for their daily lives. I think Vettes owners want a sports car and believe they are the best bang for the $$$. And they are. I dont know anyone that owns one that considers it expensive - they wanted a great car and bought it. I think The Corvette tax is real though.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:33 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by WGGS
Well, I do have to say I cringe about taking my Corvette to a Chevrolet dealer. Domestic brand dealerships tend not to know how to treat a customer differently who paid $75k for their Tahoe or Corvette vs someone who bought a Cruze. It’s a much different experience at the Audi and BMW dealerships.
yeah, they break it off in your butt with a big smile on their face.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:02 PM
sweedjeff
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm cheap, so no Corvette for me yet. But when we do buy, it'll be in about 4-5 years... once the cars are paid off. It won't be a C7 because it's too expensive for me, because I'm cheap We could 'afford' one, but I don't like spending more than what I think you need to make to buy a car. It would be very possible if we did live in the south because the mortgage,tax (esp tax), and ins would be about a 1/3-1/2 what we're spending now. Plus, I like to keep saving a bunch every month. So yes, the new corvettes (C7s) are expensive to me. If I/ we were making like $4-500K+ / year then I'd consider buying a new one!
Old 06-27-2018, 12:05 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by sweedjeff
I'm cheap, so no Corvette for me yet. But when we do buy, it'll be in about 4-5 years... once the cars are paid off. It won't be a C7 because it's too expensive for me, because I'm cheap We could 'afford' one, but I don't like spending more than what I think you need to make to buy a car. It would be very possible if we did live in the south because the mortgage,tax (esp tax), and ins would be about a 1/3-1/2 what we're spending now. Plus, I like to keep saving a bunch every month. So yes, the new corvettes (C7s) are expensive to me. If I/ we were making like $4-500K+ / year then I'd consider buying a new one!
You are definitely living in and expensive area. I moved from Portland, Or to Lake Havasu AZ and cut my expenses in half. Fortunately I was at a time in my life I could do that.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:11 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowB

I dont know anyone that owns one that considers it expensive
It's an expensive car. I love it, and I love cars, I have 3 late model ones (2017 Z51, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime, 2018 Subaru Crosstrek), they're all great. But there very few dumber ways to blow your money than cars. Not for nothing, but @ MSRP, that's $130K worth of cars in my driveway, even after discounts, that's $110K tied up. I could get by with two used cars worth say $35K very easily.

Eff that action. Life's too short to drive crappy cars. We do enjoy them, they all have their charms.

Last edited by patentcad; 06-27-2018 at 12:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by patentcad:
Carvin (06-27-2018), ptran00 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 02:51 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowB

Considering SUV & Truck prices I dont think most people think Vettes are expensive. Perhaps on a cost-to-practicality ratio people may say they are. I.e. they aren’t going to buy a Corvette when they can get an Escalade and et al instead for their daily lives. I think Vettes owners want a sports car and believe they are the best bang for the $$$. And they are. I dont know anyone that owns one that considers it expensive - they wanted a great car and bought it. I think The Corvette tax is real though.
Very true. When I bought my 14 3LT, Z51 in Feb 14 I had a neighbor who busted my chops at several neighborhood parties about having an expensive car. That it must be nice to afford a Corvette and so on. Well about 7 month after I get my car, he pulls up in 15 CMC Crew Cab Dually Denali with the Druamax diesel. Says again, must be nice to drive a Corvette. I replied take your truck back, get your money back. Go buy a 15 Stingray like mine, and keep the 6,000 change you will have. Most neighbors laughed, and he never said a word about my car again. His truck MSRP was 6559 more than my car.

Heck, my 17 Half ton truck MSRP was 4K less than my 14 Stingray..
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:32 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
Very true. When I bought my 14 3LT, Z51 in Feb 14 I had a neighbor who busted my chops at several neighborhood parties about having an expensive car. That it must be nice to afford a Corvette and so on. Well about 7 month after I get my car, he pulls up in 15 CMC Crew Cab Dually Denali with the Druamax diesel. Says again, must be nice to drive a Corvette. I replied take your truck back, get your money back. Go buy a 15 Stingray like mine, and keep the 6,000 change you will have. Most neighbors laughed, and he never said a word about my car again. His truck MSRP was 6559 more than my car.

Heck, my 17 Half ton truck MSRP was 4K less than my 14 Stingray..
You can spend an arm and a leg on an up-optioned, up-engined Corvette, but look around for a deal on a base car and you indeed will be well under the cost of many pickups--or foreign sedans for that matter.

And no kid is going to look at your GMC or Audi and say to his father, "Daddy, why can't we have one of these?"

Sticker price of my brand new 2017 1LT auto, $58,270.

Price I paid almost exactly one year ago, $48,513 (plus tax).

Plus I got five year, 0% financing with no money down, worth thousands more.

Last edited by fsvoboda; 06-28-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:29 PM
ptran00
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
It's an expensive car. I love it, and I love cars, I have 3 late model ones (2017 Z51, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime, 2018 Subaru Crosstrek), they're all great. But there very few dumber ways to blow your money than cars. Not for nothing, but @ MSRP, that's $130K worth of cars in my driveway, even after discounts, that's $110K tied up. I could get by with two used cars worth say $35K very easily.

Eff that action. Life's too short to drive crappy cars. We do enjoy them, they all have their charms.
When you said ' Life's too short to drive crappy cars', it's a real thing with me. I'm 49 years old, last year I bought a new 2017 Corvette. 2 weeks ago I had a heart attack after a 2 week vacation trip to Paris and Belgium. Now I have a stent in my heart.
pdiddy972 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:31 PM
ptran00
Racer

Originally Posted by joemessman
You are definitely living in and expensive area. I moved from Portland, Or to Lake Havasu AZ and cut my expenses in half. Fortunately I was at a time in my life I could do that.
lol, but in Lake Havasu your high temperature doubled.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 PM
ptran00
Racer

Originally Posted by sweedjeff
lol, If I/ we were making like $4-500K+ / year, I wouldn't have bought a Corvette, I would have bought a Mercedes GT or Bentley Continental or Aston Martin or Mercedes s550 coupe or Rolls Royce Phantom coupe.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:41 PM
ptran00
Racer

Originally Posted by NNNInvestment
I just sold my C7 Z07. It was a fun car but I never fully enjoyed its capabilities. It was very squirrelly. From a light the tires would constantly spin. Getting off an exit i wouldn't push it since I didn't want to fly off the ramp. Lol. For 67k used it was amazing car. The fact is I don't buy cars based on how cheap they are but based on how much money they lose per year. When you put that into perspective there are equal or more money and some of the more expensive cars. My previous call was a 2014 911 Turbo. I paid 117 and nine months later I sold for 115. The Corvette I paid 67 and six months later I sold for 64. So if you look at the price per month it was cheaper to own the 911. I recently purchased a 2017 R8. I have no fear and pushing this car to it's limits with the mid engine all wheel drive. The fit and finish (interior and exterior) is by far better than any other car I owned. I'm definitely excited to see the C8. I think that will alleviate some of the issues with controllability for me.
It's 2018 yet Porsche still has an outdated/inconvenient starter (I think it's called a key that you have to pull out of your pocket and find a keyhole) as opposed to even an $18k car with a push button starter and standard Apple Carplay (as opposed to Porsche wanting you to buy a $5k package in order to get Apple Carplay).

Last edited by ptran00; 06-28-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:27 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Some sad people here. It doesn't matter how much you pay for your house for example or how much your car is. There are actually Tahoes that cost more than a lot of C7s. Pickups also. Love the beating up other cars especially the C6. Remember the C6 was designed 14 years ago and while it doesn't have the electronic gizmos and I haven't seen a GM vehicle with a top of the line interior. C7 has a nice interior but in comparison to say Audi it falls short. Corvette excels because it is the best bang for the buck.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:41 PM
ptran00
Racer

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Some sad people here. It doesn't matter how much you pay for your house for example or how much your car is. There are actually Tahoes that cost more than a lot of C7s. Pickups also. Love the beating up other cars especially the C6. Remember the C6 was designed 14 years ago and while it doesn't have the electronic gizmos and I haven't seen a GM vehicle with a top of the line interior. C7 has a nice interior but in comparison to say Audi it falls short. Corvette excels because it is the best bang for the buck.
I have to agree that while the Corvette's interior is nice, Audi is still nicer but not by much. The Corvette aftermarket sells many products such as carbon fiber and aluminum ***** that for $1k-$2k, your interior can be the same as Audi, except for Audi's upgraded (not standard) diamond pattern stitched leather seats.
Conversely, the Corvette's infotainment screen is perfectly integrated (and the cool screen goes down) whereas the Audi's looks like an aftermarket afterthought iPad dashboard wart.
Here's are the upgrades in my car:

Last edited by ptran00; 06-29-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ptran00
When you said ' Life's too short to drive crappy cars', it's a real thing with me. I'm 49 years old, last year I bought a new 2017 Corvette. 2 weeks ago I had a heart attack after a 2 week vacation trip to Paris and Belgium. Now I have a stent in my heart.
Funny how people can have totally different views on life and death.

Take me as an example. I plan my life around the fact that I will probably be alive tomorrow, instead of being dead.

Yet I have had three heart attacks before I was 49, I didn't react as if I was going to die the day after I turned 49. I was 52(1995) when they took four vessels from my left leg and one from my left shoulder do get blood around the 5 blockages in my heart. Then after around another ten years I had another heart attack as the blockage was where they could not insert a stint(2 out of 7 chance of survival the doc told me, if they tried to insert a stint through one of my bypass vessels to get to the blockage down stream). .

Then, in 2001, I was diagnosed with cancer and underwent radiation every day for two months along with some chemo.

I'm now 76 and still alive and I have a very comfortable standard of living because I made sure I had money put away just in case I didn't die the next day, or the next day after that. etc.

Personally. I would rather leave some money to a loved one when I die, than ask them to pay my bills at the end of my life because I blew my money when I was younger(36 years old when I had a full blown heart attack with no stints, etc to save my heart muscle) and I didn't die the next day.

I have an uncle(my deceased dad's youngest brother) who will turn 90 in a month. He has had two heart attacks. 3 or 4 stints. and cancer, and is a diabetic. He has slowed down over the past year, but he still drives his pickup nearly every day, and a large tractor that he uses to haul those large round bails of hay to feed his cattle, and he still drives his bulldozer on rare occasions. He is a multi millionaire and has no money problems and when he dies his 82 year old wife(as of 2018) will have plenty of money to live on, and their two sons won't have to support their mother. In fact, both their sons will inherit all that money and will have plenty to live on just in case they also live past 90 years old..

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-29-2018 at 11:41 AM.
ptran00 (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 11:22 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Take me as an example. I plan my life around the fact that I will probably be alive tomorrow, instead of being dead.

Yet I have had three heart attacks before I was 49, I didn't react as if I was going to die the day after I turned 49. I was 52(1995) when they took four vessels from my left leg and one from my left shoulder do get blood around the 5 blockages in my heart. Then after around another ten years I had another heart attack as the blockage was where they could not insert a stint(2 out of 7 chance of survival the doc told me, if they tried to insert a stint through one of my bypass vessels to get to the blockage down stream). .

Then, in 2001, I was diagnosed with cancer and underwent radiation every day for two months along with some chemo.

I'm now 76 and still alive and I have a very comfortable standard of living because I made sure I had money put away just in case I didn't die the next day, or the next day after that. etc.

Personally. I would rather leave some money to a loved one when I die, than ask them to pay my bills at the end of my life because I blew my money when I was younger(36 years old when I had a full blown heart attack with no stints, etc to save my heart muscle) and I didn't die the next day.

I have an uncle(my deceased dad's youngest brother) who will turn 90 in a month. He has had two heart attacks. 3 or 4 stints. and cancer, and is a diabetic. He has slowed down over the past year, but he still drives his pickup nearly every day, and a large tractor that he uses to haul those large round bails of hay to feed his cattle, and he still drives his bulldozer on rare occasions. He is a multi millionaire and has no money problems and when he dies his 82 year old wife(as of 2018) will have plenty of money to live on, and their two sons won't have to support them. In fact, both their sons will inherit all that money and will have plenty to live on just in case they also live past 90 years old..
Very good. Glad you're still around a kick'n. My neighbor had stints put in decades ago. He had a massive heart attack 4 months ago and had 6 veins grafted to his heart! He's out running with his dogs every day again. He's 70 years old.
But we must balance lives between fun and saving as if we are going to live on for quite some time like you stated. Sometimes I think we all go a little off in the wrong direction once in a while. If only we knew what our date of death was going to be.

Last edited by joemessman; 06-29-2018 at 11:22 AM.
ptran00 (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 11:49 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
Very good. Glad you're still around a kick'n. My neighbor had stints put in decades ago. He had a massive heart attack 4 months ago and had 6 veins grafted to his heart! He's out running with his dogs every day again. He's 70 years old.
But we must balance lives between fun and saving as if we are going to live on for quite some time like you stated. Sometimes I think we all go a little off in the wrong direction once in a while. If only we knew what our date of death was going to be.
I agree on the "balance".
I'm long retired and I don't spend all I make each month, yet I have three Corvettes(56, 64, C6 Z06) to enjoy(especially driving all over the USA enjoying myself in the Z06). I don't buy anything on credit other than everyday items where I use a Rewards credit card that I pay off in full each month and I get some cash back.

Everything I have is paid for, including my funeral expenses so I can enjoy my twilight years knowing I'm covered and will not be a financial burden on anyone.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-29-2018 at 11:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
joemessman (06-29-2018), ptran00 (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 12:13 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I have an uncle(my deceased dad's youngest brother) who will turn 90 in a month. He has had two heart attacks. 3 or 4 stints. and cancer, and is a diabetic. He has slowed down over the past year, but he still drives his pickup nearly every day, and a large tractor that he uses to haul those large round bails of hay to feed his cattle, and he still drives his bulldozer on rare occasions. He is a multi millionaire and has no money problems and when he dies his 82 year old wife(as of 2018) will have plenty of money to live on, and their two sons won't have to support their mother. In fact, both their sons will inherit all that money and will have plenty to live on just in case they also live past 90 years old..
Very true! I had a heart attack at 45 years old, hip replacement at 49 (my current age). When you wake up and see nurses around your bed you start to look at life differently. You realize that cars are just cars in the end. We help out my wife's family in the Philippines trying to make their lives better. But we did find our old C6 that I sold in 14 when my wife was ill and bought it back, for about $40k less than a new C7 that was $19k off sticker. I'm not going to say the C6 is better or that the C7 is better. For me the C6 is the better choice. Both have their pros and cons. C6's interior is fine for me especially the 60th Anniversary package edition. I use the NAV for telling my passenger (usually my 13 year old son) how much further we have to go and it does that job well. My daily driver is a 16 Malibu Premier that I bought for $26.5k. So both cars are actually priced less than most luxury cars/SUVs pickups. It is important to enjoy life while you can because you may not wake up tomorrow and not many people will care about your car. I know my family would be taken care of if I passed away and that is what counts the most. But I do thank God for every day I wake up.

The fact with the Corvette is that it is relatively inexpensive compared to the cars it competes against and most Vette owners would be lying if they said the Corvette would be their choice if price wasn't a factor. But most people in this world would think the Corvette as a very expensive car. Average yearly income in the US is about $55k or so, about the sticker price of a base C7 Over 1/2 the nation would have to give up one year's salary in 6-7 years to afford a C7. Most don't even look at a nice car as something desirable, just point A to point B transportation. Just remember your health, money and even your life can be gone tomorrow.
ptran00 (06-29-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Why are so many Corvette owners so cheap

Old 06-29-2018, 11:07 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

I agree on the "balance".
I'm long retired and I don't spend all I make each month, yet I have three Corvettes(56, 64, C6 Z06) to enjoy(especially driving all over the USA enjoying myself in the Z06). I don't buy anything on credit other than everyday items where I use a Rewards credit card that I pay off in full each month and I get some cash back.

Everything I have is paid for, including my funeral expenses so I can enjoy my twilight years knowing I'm covered and will not be a financial burden on anyone.
Wait a minute, Joe....you have three Corvettes? No ****??? Wow....I had no idea.......
LT1 Z51 (07-09-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 08:32 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Life is balance.
My 78 year uncle died with millions in bank account driving an accord he could barely get in and out of rather than his minivan that he couldn't easily get in and out of because of gas mileage (and was considering getting a civic).
My father got diagnosed with Parkinson's at about 50. By 60 he couldn't wipe his own ***.
My maternal grandfather is 90 years old still doing jumping jacks and going for a jog every morning.

I decided against kids and can live off about 1/3 of my 2017 earnings (and even keep my toys, though if I was down to 1/3 I'd def make some cutbacks). Financially secure enough look forward to financial planning/results, not enough to ignore it. I try to keep in mind I could go at any given moment or, in about 5 years find out I inherited something that means I'll have Parkinson's (I don't want to know until it's time to treat). At the same time, I don't want to worry about money.

Last edited by village idiot; 06-30-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:42 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by village idiot
Life is balance.
My 78 year uncle died with millions in bank account driving an accord he could barely get in and out of rather than his minivan that he couldn't easily get in and out of because of gas mileage (and was considering getting a civic).
My father got diagnosed with Parkinson's at about 50. By 60 he couldn't wipe his own ***.
My maternal grandfather is 90 years old still doing jumping jacks and going for a jog every morning.

I decided against kids and can live off about 1/3 of my 2017 earnings (and even keep my toys, though if I was down to 1/3 I'd def make some cutbacks). Financially secure enough look forward to financial planning/results, not enough to ignore it. I try to keep in mind I could go at any given moment or, in about 5 years find out I inherited something that means I'll have Parkinson's (I don't want to know until it's time to treat). At the same time, I don't want to worry about money.
It is definitely a crap shoot. Live for today, but prepare for tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Why are so many Corvette owners so cheap