Help me price my Grand Sport!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:42 PM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Have you asked any dealer on trade in? Have you checked KBB? You have a 3LT Z07. It's not a plain jane GS.
No, but I have found KBB to be overstated in most cases or inaccurate. The most valuable information is dealer auction sales, like Manheim. This gives you true wholesale price from which you can then base everything else. Generally dealers want their trades to to be at the Manheim auction prices.

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Clearly finding a private party with cash is your best option. My experience with dealers is that they want cars that are bone stock. Please update us if you do find a buyer. Good luck.
Thanks, yes I've never sold a modified car to a dealer- probably won't this time either.

Originally Posted by thill444
OP where are you located? Most states have trade-in incentives that can save you thousands in taxes. Example if your GS is worth $70K$ on trade-in and the next car you are buying is worth $110K you only pay tax on the difference or $40K vs the whole $110K.

Let's just say your state charges 6% sales tax. That's over a $4K savings if you trade in vs sell privately.
Oregon, no sales tax!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:58 PM
Reason222
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I think 75k is a fair price if your mileage is low. I spent 72K on a 3LT M7 grand sport brand new. But it doesn't have comp seats or the z07 package.

If your buyer really wants those options, then 75k is a good deal. If they don't want those options, then you might sell easier if you put it in the high 60's. like maybe 68K
The following users liked this post:
montoya (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:14 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

It is still the first year crazy prices on Grand Sports, and here is what happened to Edmunds when they went to CarMax to trade-in the first year C7 after their long term test, all good.

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/co...ong-money.html
Old 07-23-2017, 12:38 AM
NNNInvestment
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue666's
I'm afraid you might have a problem getting it to sell at that high a price. I've got a build sheet for a 2018 GS Vert that was just a hair over 80K (admittedly, 2LT) and have found two dealers that are offering 11% off on a special order. So if I can buy new for about 72K (again, I know, 2LT) I would be really hesitant to spend that kind of money on a used one when I can get a new one for essentially the same money. Good luck with the sale, but anytime you sell a practically-brand-new car, you're going to take a bath on it, relatively-speaking. Good luck, though!
Could you please share the dealers that are offering 11% off. Thank you.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:36 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I know some dealers use the auction value, but I checked KBB then got trade quotes from dealers. Several of the quotes were in the KBB trade range, and the price on the new car they were selling was discounted. The dealer that use auction value didn't get my trade. They say we can get them at the auction for xxx. Not totally true, they have fees, shipping, etc. With a car like this they are going to sell it on their lot and they are buying them from auctions to sell on their lot. They can give you more than the auction value if they want to.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:00 PM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Reason222
I think 75k is a fair price if your mileage is low. I spent 72K on a 3LT M7 grand sport brand new. But it doesn't have comp seats or the z07 package.

If your buyer really wants those options, then 75k is a good deal. If they don't want those options, then you might sell easier if you put it in the high 60's. like maybe 68K
Thanks!!- you and I think alike, but does a real buyer???

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
It is still the first year crazy prices on Grand Sports, and here is what happened to Edmunds when they went to CarMax to trade-in the first year C7 after their long term test, all good.

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/co...ong-money.html
Agreed, time will tell with the extended shut down and orders taking longer it might play into the hands for someone who wants one now.

Originally Posted by NNNInvestment
Could you please share the dealers that are offering 11% off. Thank you.
Criswell

Originally Posted by djnice
I know some dealers use the auction value, but I checked KBB then got trade quotes from dealers. Several of the quotes were in the KBB trade range, and the price on the new car they were selling was discounted. The dealer that use auction value didn't get my trade. They say we can get them at the auction for xxx. Not totally true, they have fees, shipping, etc. With a car like this they are going to sell it on their lot and they are buying them from auctions to sell on their lot. They can give you more than the auction value if they want to.
Good points, it always comes down to negotiation, if you know they are going to sell it themselves then you're correct, you have a little extra in your favor. The other issue is (and back to it's just a used car) when there is good volume of sales through auctions, you really don't have much leverage, e.g.- my Tacoma is really special! But on thinly traded cars like my GT3 and based on what the current used market is for Grand Sports, the auction values may not really reflect true wholesale. Brokers are on the hunt for a 'deal' crossing the auction blocks for a customer and bid up the prices for these 'exotics'.

Again, this is all great input. My current thinking is that I'm going to consign the car so I will likely not change the pricing on the for sale listing. My rationale is simply that keeping the wrap on for now, you absolutely must see the car in person. Just seeing it in pictures doesn't do it justice. So by consigning it, the hope is that you make it easier for a buyer to look at it and who knows you may get someone who had no intention on buying it, show up and using the dealer financing drives it home that day. I'll give it some time and if that doesn't work then I will remove the wrap and put everything back to stock (selling those items here) and reselling it in the private party price range that will move it. Right now I would agree with everyone that is high 60's- which values the wrap and other bolt ons at $0- but that is how it works I'm not surprised.

Thanks again- but feel free to keep those opinions coming. I would like to add that everyone has been very polite, which surprised me in a good way. My past posts on other car forums about pricing, seem to bring out the worst in people sometimes. Thanks for being great forum contributors!!
Old 07-23-2017, 12:01 PM
NNNInvestment
Racer

I spoke to Crisswell. He said for an ordered car it would not be 11%.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:59 PM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I spoke to Crisswell. He said for an ordered car it would not be 11%.
OK sorry, my bad. I should have checked, I went off of memory and probably saw an ad for remaining 2017's. What was the discount if you don't mind sharing for the forum?
Old 07-23-2017, 01:14 PM
NNNInvestment
Racer

He didn't really give me a percentage based on the plant being closed. Super nice guy though I can tell you that.
montoya (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:27 PM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

He didn't really give me a percentage based on the plant being closed. Super nice guy though I can tell you that.

Agreed, Mike should be the call for anyone looking for a new Corvette. The information he provides just cuts the time down to finding the right deal and wasting your time with other dealers.

Looks like the plant closure should firm prices up across the board...
Old 07-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Soonere39
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Me too! I've done the same in the past. Just that this sale is a 'surprise' since the GT3 allocation came my way earlier than expected. I wasn't thinking I would sell until next spring. So it is a conundrum. The wrap though is something very unique- you can't resell it if you take it off and does it make the car more valuable? Not really. But does it make it more desirable at the same price? Maybe. Again though, what is the price???
FWIW, I shy away from buying a car with a wrap on it because I don't know what scratches or nicks are hidden beneath it. Maybe thats just me.
I would put an asking price closer to $71,000. Just my 2 cents
montoya (07-23-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:40 AM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Soonere39
FWIW, I shy away from buying a car with a wrap on it because I don't know what scratches or nicks are hidden beneath it. Maybe thats just me.
I would put an asking price closer to $71,000. Just my 2 cents
I have photos from the dealer plus the work as it was being done. The car had 50 miles on it when it was put on, so there is nothing hidden. Atlanta Custom Wraps is a premier wrap detailer and there are no issues to the paint caused by them. But I get it, a wrap is not for everyone. Thanks for the price input!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:46 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

$65K and that is at the high end of the scale.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:00 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

IMHO, I would take off any additions you made and sell them on the side. Then I'd list the car for $70K, but take no less than $65K. My logic is, your car is used, it has 4K miles and the carfax for the new owner will say 2 owners. They deserve some consideration.
You can try to sell it as is, but at your price, finding that person may be difficult.
One way to go is, list it as is for your price. Then after 2 or 3 weeks, strip off the add ons and list it at the reduced price. You want to move quickly as the selling time, summer is already half over.
Also, fine if you think your car is rare, but that doesn't make it any more desirable than another C7 GS with the same equipment. So be careful using that term "rare" because it is so overused.
Hope things work out for you.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:52 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Your car will compete with new C7s for some of the same buyers, so.....

If you live in a state where the buyer does NOT have to pay sales tax on the purchase of a used vehicle, then there's about a $5-$6k ADVANTAGE you have selling your used C7 vs. the dealer selling a new C7.

That would allow you to ask a few thousand more than you could if you live in a state where buyers have to pay sales tax.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 07-24-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:20 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Good luck with the sale. By the way, the link in your original post takes me to some other for sale thread, not yours.

I'm with several of the others, the only way you get close to 75k, is if you find the buyer that
1) Wants the Z07, 3LT, and Comp Seats
2) Values the mods as an add and not a subtract or push
3) Doesn't want to wait to order their own for about the same price.

I'm not sure if that person exists, or how long to find him or her. If yo had plenty of time, you could try to wait it out, but I wouldn't be optimistic.

If I'm shopping and I can get that car new for 76k, I probably don't even pick up the phone to call you if it is above 70k, and probably wouldn't pay over 67-68k. This is 's just me, because I value the mods at 0 (and some won't and you can get more from them). But with 4k miles on it (and 4k less miles on the warranty) and the hassles of dealing with buying a used private party car versus the ease of the dealer I want 10% or so below new.

Hope you get what you want for it though!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:41 AM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by snow
$65K and that is at the high end of the scale.
You seem to be on the low end of the scale.

Originally Posted by roadbike56
IMHO, I would take off any additions you made and sell them on the side. Then I'd list the car for $70K, but take no less than $65K. My logic is, your car is used, it has 4K miles and the carfax for the new owner will say 2 owners. They deserve some consideration.
You can try to sell it as is, but at your price, finding that person may be difficult.
One way to go is, list it as is for your price. Then after 2 or 3 weeks, strip off the add ons and list it at the reduced price. You want to move quickly as the selling time, summer is already half over.
Also, fine if you think your car is rare, but that doesn't make it any more desirable than another C7 GS with the same equipment. So be careful using that term "rare" because it is so overused.
Hope things work out for you.
As I stated earlier, the plan is to broker it a dealer and if that doesn't work, then I can do as you suggest, strip off the wrap and sell the rockers and suede items. Not sure I used the word rare, but in context to finding the car with the options I wanted.

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Your car will compete with new C7s for some of the same buyers, so.....

If you live in a state where the buyer does NOT have to pay sales tax on the purchase of a used vehicle, then there's about a $5-$6k ADVANTAGE you have selling your used C7 vs. the dealer selling a new C7.

That would allow you to ask a few thousand more than you could if you live in a state where buyers have to pay sales tax.
Good point for any buyer out of state!

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Good luck with the sale. By the way, the link in your original post takes me to some other for sale thread, not yours.

I'm with several of the others, the only way you get close to 75k, is if you find the buyer that
1) Wants the Z07, 3LT, and Comp Seats
2) Values the mods as an add and not a subtract or push
3) Doesn't want to wait to order their own for about the same price.

I'm not sure if that person exists, or how long to find him or her. If yo had plenty of time, you could try to wait it out, but I wouldn't be optimistic.

If I'm shopping and I can get that car new for 76k, I probably don't even pick up the phone to call you if it is above 70k, and probably wouldn't pay over 67-68k. This is 's just me, because I value the mods at 0 (and some won't and you can get more from them). But with 4k miles on it (and 4k less miles on the warranty) and the hassles of dealing with buying a used private party car versus the ease of the dealer I want 10% or so below new.

Hope you get what you want for it though!
Thanks for the input! I agree the mods are pretty low value in the sale. I also don't value the 3LT option all that much, other than the PDR. I think of it more as a 2LT with PDR. Your price range is in line with a lot of others. (Fixed the link - thanks!)

Last edited by montoya; 07-25-2017 at 01:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Help me price my Grand Sport!