Help me price my Grand Sport!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:00 AM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Help me price my Grand Sport!

OK guys, this should be a fun thread because, you know, what else do we have to do but give our 'expert' opinion on someone else's for sale asking price? LOL!

But seriously, the pricing information on the used market for the 2017 Grand Sport is seriously lacking, and I really don't have a clue what a good price is. I've listed it for sale with an asking price 75K and here's my logic:

Original MSRP - 85K
Specs- 3LT, M7, Comp Seats, and Z07 package.
Black, black leather

Purchase price 76K (a semi decent price in May during incentives for Z07).
Additional items: Full Custom wrap in orange with grey stripe, APR carbon fiber rockers, suede wheel, arm rest and console pieces swapped out for the full leather. Block it mats. Paint protection film added on nose and rockers. Total price of add on's approx $6500.

So, given I had to search nationwide for a Z07 GS with Comp Seats and 2LT or better interior and only found 5 available in May, I figure that this combo of options is fairly difficult to find. Most of the combos like this are the limited edition models. As far as I can tell this is still hard to find unless you order a new 2018. So my thinking is for the right buyer that will appreciate the color change with the wrap, 75K is a good starting point for this combination of options and added features. But IDK... I see some well spec'd Z06's in this price range, but at the same time Z51's in the 50ish range. At the same time there are only two used Grand Sports for sale with anything like this spec on Autotrader.

So, of course I am leaving wiggle room for negotiation, but at the same time I don't want to take a bath on a car I don't need to sell for 6 months either (I could enjoy it longer if so). So, I'm open to all opinions good, bad and indifferent. Hey, it's my money and your opinions are free, so I will take them for what they are worth, LOL!!!

Another thing to consider is putting it completely back to stock- remove the wrap, take off the APR rockers and suede pieces and sell those separately (I know that I'll get decent money for them). Then I'm selling a Black Z07, M7, Comp Seats 3Lt Grand Sport with 4K miles- price this out too if you want and of course your opinion if that would be easier to sell.

Here's the link to the for sale thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-z07-3lt.html

Last edited by montoya; 07-25-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm afraid you might have a problem getting it to sell at that high a price. I've got a build sheet for a 2018 GS Vert that was just a hair over 80K (admittedly, 2LT) and have found two dealers that are offering 11% off on a special order. So if I can buy new for about 72K (again, I know, 2LT) I would be really hesitant to spend that kind of money on a used one when I can get a new one for essentially the same money. Good luck with the sale, but anytime you sell a practically-brand-new car, you're going to take a bath on it, relatively-speaking. Good luck, though!

Last edited by Blue666's; 07-21-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:24 AM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Blue666's
I'm afraid you might have a problem getting it to sell at that high a price. I've got a build sheet for a 2018 GS Vert that was just a hair over 80K (admittedly, 2LT) and have found two dealers that are offering 11% off on a special order. So if I can buy new for about 72K (again, I know, 2LT) I would be really hesitant to spend that kind of money on a used one when I can get a new one for essentially the same money. Good luck with the sale, but anytime you sell a practically-brand-new car, you're going to take a bath on it, relatively-speaking. Good luck, though!
Appreciate the opinion. But you didn't give me a better for sale price! I get people can pick up a new one for same or even much less. But if you want these options- PDR, Comp Seats, 2LT or better, Z07, M7 you are in the 75ish range I believe. But we are splitting hairs I get what you are saying, new is about the same.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I've learned through building race bikes and high-performance street bikes, (ducati, Yamaha) that unless you take off all the mods and sell them separately, you'll likely get just pennies on the dollar for any mods that go with the car at sale time. At least that's always been my experience. I haven't ordered my GS Vert yet, but soon will, and I know that for the first 3-4 years, I'll essentially be upside-down on the value of the car. Hopefully I won't have to sell it early in its life. I hope you find someone that is looking for exactly what you have there! Good luck!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:45 AM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I've learned through building race bikes and high-performance street bikes, (ducati, Yamaha) that unless you take off all the mods and sell them separately, you'll likely get just pennies on the dollar for any mods that go with the car at sale time. At least that's always been my experience. I haven't ordered my GS Vert yet, but soon will, and I know that for the first 3-4 years, I'll essentially be upside-down on the value of the car. Hopefully I won't have to sell it early in its life. I hope you find someone that is looking for exactly what you have there! Good luck!
Me too! I've done the same in the past. Just that this sale is a 'surprise' since the GT3 allocation came my way earlier than expected. I wasn't thinking I would sell until next spring. So it is a conundrum. The wrap though is something very unique- you can't resell it if you take it off and does it make the car more valuable? Not really. But does it make it more desirable at the same price? Maybe. Again though, what is the price???
Old 07-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm thinking somewhere in the high 60's, like 69,900, which to a potential buyer, sounds way less than 'seventy-something'. But again, as you said, it's your money, so whatever you do, I hope it turns out well for you! It's always easier to negotiate downward to than upward (Wait, you'll pay seventy, well would you pay seventy one? LOL) but your initial asking price may entice (or repel) potential buyers. If someone can buy a new one for low seventies, I'd start out asking in the high sixties, but that's just me. I have a 2009 Mercedes CLS 550 that I'm going to be placing for sale this weekend, so I'm sorta in the same boat, in a manner of speaking. Good luck, hope you find the right buyer for your Vette.
The following users liked this post:
montoya (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:33 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

67K is about all you should expect.
montoya (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 01:08 PM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm thinking somewhere in the high 60's, like 69,900, which to a potential buyer, sounds way less than 'seventy-something'. But again, as you said, it's your money, so whatever you do, I hope it turns out well for you! It's always easier to negotiate downward to than upward (Wait, you'll pay seventy, well would you pay seventy one? LOL) but your initial asking price may entice (or repel) potential buyers. If someone can buy a new one for low seventies, I'd start out asking in the high sixties, but that's just me. I have a 2009 Mercedes CLS 550 that I'm going to be placing for sale this weekend, so I'm sorta in the same boat, in a manner of speaking. Good luck, hope you find the right buyer for your Vette.
Thanks, good input!

Originally Posted by LimeRay
67K is about all you should expect.
Man of few words- thanks! Care to share why?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:41 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Don't get caught up with what you perceive to be a rare combo, it's a used vette that can be replicated easily.

Seems like current specials are averaging around 12% on new so I'd start at 20% off ($68K) and go from there. It's entirely possible someone could get your car without upgrades new at your advertised price.

Personally, I don't place any value on any of your upgrades. Besides the wrap color, which is very polarizing the wrap deficiencies you pointed out are significant. I don't know anything about wraps, but I'd assume that after you have it fixed, they could likely reappear.

Finally, maybe it's the camera angle but several of your panels appear to be significantly out of alignment.

Lastly, I picked up a new 2LZ Z07 last fall for $78K. Many lightly used Zs are in the 60s or heading there. Since GS buyers often cross shop the Z you are at another disadvantage.

Remove the wrap and add-ons and hope for the best.
montoya (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 02:18 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

It's a used car with a unique color. I would start at 18% off MSRP and try to sell it now, because once the fall and winter months hit the buyer pool will be smaller and you are probably looking at 25% off MSRP or more. I paid almost 29% off MSRP for a less than 1 year old Z51 in February that had 2200 miles on it. And that was from a dealer. GS might do a little better but not that much better.

Have you checked to see what the Porsche dealer might give you for it?

Last edited by thill444; 07-21-2017 at 02:20 PM.
montoya (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 03:53 PM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Don't get caught up with what you perceive to be a rare combo, it's a used vette that can be replicated easily.

Seems like current specials are averaging around 12% on new so I'd start at 20% off ($68K) and go from there. It's entirely possible someone could get your car without upgrades new at your advertised price.

Personally, I don't place any value on any of your upgrades. Besides the wrap color, which is very polarizing the wrap deficiencies you pointed out are significant. I don't know anything about wraps, but I'd assume that after you have it fixed, they could likely reappear.

Finally, maybe it's the camera angle but several of your panels appear to be significantly out of alignment.

Lastly, I picked up a new 2LZ Z07 last fall for $78K. Many lightly used Zs are in the 60s or heading there. Since GS buyers often cross shop the Z you are at another disadvantage.

Remove the wrap and add-ons and hope for the best.
I agree it's just a used car at a wholesale level, but I am trying to market it retail and that is where the options and colors come into play. However, you make some good points and I agree the pricing on Z06's are crowding out the used (however small it is) GS market. I do have one fender that needs adjustment, I am not seeing any others that are out. Lastly as others have mentioned upgrades at resale time are really going with the car for "free" and nobody puts much value on them. At the same time though, I am not sure it will sell any better as black car with everything back to stock. The only difference is I can resell a few parts. My hope and willing to wait is someone likes the car in this color/options for resale- but again I hear you it may be a foolish errand to wait.

Originally Posted by thill444
It's a used car with a unique color. I would start at 18% off MSRP and try to sell it now, because once the fall and winter months hit the buyer pool will be smaller and you are probably looking at 25% off MSRP or more. I paid almost 29% off MSRP for a less than 1 year old Z51 in February that had 2200 miles on it. And that was from a dealer. GS might do a little better but not that much better.

Have you checked to see what the Porsche dealer might give you for it?
OK- 18% off is approx. 69K we seem to be settling in on a good market price.

Regarding the Porsche dealer, then we are talking a wholesale level transaction. Figure market price (which we are trying to come to an agreement on- looking like maybe high 60's? So wholesale for a dealer is usually about 15% below retail, so approximately 57K- I'm not doing that yet. I may consign it though.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:57 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

IMHO your mods actually decrease its value and appeal. To confirm this take it to CarMax. Their offer will be very close to the wholesale or trade in value. Auction prices will be few and far between since it's a new model.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 07-21-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:08 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Outside of the wrap which can be removed I guess I dont see the mods he did affecting the value. Granted they likely did not add value unless someone has the exact same tatste but it's not like the guy did some crazy big wing on the back or a custom paint job.

Last edited by thill444; 07-21-2017 at 04:09 PM.
montoya (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:13 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

You should get $68k for trade from the dealer.
montoya (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:13 PM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I've bought a half dozen plus highly modded low mileage sports oriented cars over the years. I look for the cream puffs (like everyone, right?). And I have always bought in the range between trade-in and private party, usually closer to trade.

Performance mods scare people as to how hard the car may have been driven. Appearance mods can be a matter of taste. Yours sounds like a car right up my alley. For me, I'd take the average of KBB and Edmunds trade-in value and start my offer there. And sit tight. They never sell for a premium, in my experience. I would never buy a car without taking into account what's under the wrap. Are there minor razor blade cuts from the installer, for instance. Yes, probably over worry, but hey, due diligence.

Whatever the average between KBB and Edmunds (which always vary) is for high trade-in/low private party would be my offering point as the buyer. And also, good luck!
montoya (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:35 PM
montoya
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
IMHO your mods actually decrease its value and appeal. To confirm this take it to CarMax. Their offer will be very close to the wholesale or trade in value. Auction prices will be few and far between since it's a new model.
So a carbon rocker better than the partial rocker decreases value? Suede wheel and trim pieces too? I think you are really only talking about the wrap. I get that it's not for everyone, but it is the one car I get more positive comments than any I have owned. So I guess you're in the minority.

Outside of the wrap which can be removed I guess I dont see the mods he did affecting the value. Granted they likely did not add value unless someone has the exact same tatste but it's not like the guy did some crazy big wing on the back or a custom paint job.
Thanks! Wanted to go to Pep Boys and bolt on that wing but I exercised self control!

Originally Posted by djnice
You should get $68k for trade from the dealer.
Where??? Thanks for confidence!

Originally Posted by WideVette

I've bought a half dozen plus highly modded low mileage sports oriented cars over the years. I look for the cream puffs (like everyone, right?). And I have always bought in the range between trade-in and private party, usually closer to trade.

Performance mods scare people as to how hard the car may have been driven. Appearance mods can be a matter of taste. Yours sounds like a car right up my alley. For me, I'd take the average of KBB and Edmunds trade-in value and start my offer there. And sit tight. They never sell for a premium, in my experience. I would never buy a car without taking into account what's under the wrap. Are there minor razor blade cuts from the installer, for instance. Yes, probably over worry, but hey, due diligence.

Whatever the average between KBB and Edmunds (which always vary) is for high trade-in/low private party would be my offering point as the buyer. And also, good luck!
Yes, Retail is retail in a retail environment where you can offer financing etc. PP is not retail, but it's not wholesale either!

Regarding the wrap, Atlanta Custom Wraps is a premier wrap detailer, and they stand behind their work. They are going to help me fix the minor imperfections.

Thanks for feedback everyone! This has been good so far!

Last edited by montoya; 07-21-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:35 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Have you asked any dealer on trade in? Have you checked KBB? You have a 3LT Z07. It's not a plain jane GS.

Last edited by djnice; 07-21-2017 at 07:35 PM.
montoya (07-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Help me price my Grand Sport!

Old 07-21-2017, 07:44 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Clearly finding a private party with cash is your best option. My experience with dealers is that they want cars that are bone stock. Please update us if you do find a buyer. Good luck.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 07-21-2017 at 07:45 PM.
montoya (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:49 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

OP where are you located? Most states have trade-in incentives that can save you thousands in taxes. Example if your GS is worth $70K$ on trade-in and the next car you are buying is worth $110K you only pay tax on the difference or $40K vs the whole $110K.

Let's just say your state charges 6% sales tax. That's over a $4K savings if you trade in vs sell privately.
montoya (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:34 PM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

OP where are you located? Most states have trade-in incentives that can save you thousands in taxes. Example if your GS is worth $70K$ on trade-in and the next car you are buying is worth $110K you only pay tax on the difference or $40K vs the whole $110K.

Let's just say your state charges 6% sales tax. That's over a $4K savings if you trade in vs sell privately.
montoya (07-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Help me price my Grand Sport!