C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I drove a C7 StingRay yesterday. My thoughts.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Didn't test drive the C7 before I ordered one. With all the newer technology I concluded what's the point - there is no way to evaluate even some of the features on a test drive. I was confident the new generation would be an advancement.

Now, I can confidently state that the C7 is miles ahead of both my C5 and my 427 vert - both of those are great cars and have a place. Each car does at least one thing better than the other two, but the C7 overall does just about everything well. I wasn't thoroughly convinced of this until I went to Spring Mountain, no way the C5 or C6 matches the capability of the C7.
The following users liked this post:
lennykoll (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:35 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

You had a lousy salesperson, what a shame.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:40 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter
You had a lousy salesperson, what a shame.
I was actually looking at a new 2016 Z51 on local dealer's lot but, aside from asking an outrageous price, they declined a "test drive" altogether ..... saying a buyer does not want miles on the vehicle. Hummmmn.....

Problem solved.... drove a similar C7 that a local Vette Club member had to get a "seat of the pants" feel and was sold....smile.

Last edited by lennykoll; 07-24-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:51 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemans Blue
Well first of all its a gorgeous machine with all the bells and whistles a person could want. Stereo system was nice, as well as the control panel and gauges, seat was comfortable and all of the interior fit and function was very nice.

Pulling out of the dealership I noticed immediately the fly by wire steering and effortless turning. At first I was not sure what to think, you get absolutely zero road feedback from the system. On the freeway on ramp I gained speed through the curve and I had to make several adjustments to maintain my line, where as in my C5 I just accelerate and it holds the line pretty easy. The power was ok but I expected more out of it, the 8 speed trans seemed sluggish during shifts, but I assume that can be tuned out of it. Overall its a nice car, but it just did not excite me and when I got back into my C5 it just felt like home, so maybe I will install a supercharger and be happy with it.
I'm with you. BUT. I probably have $40,000 in my c5 z06. I bought the car in 2012 for $25Gs and have added everything I desired that was available in the aftermarket that would enhance a vehicle's ride and handling. PFADT shocks, sway bars, Calloway CAI, LT headers, McLeod RST, Lwt flywheel, RPM 4.10's, and a tune were all part of that extra $15Gs.

It handles and responds to the throttle MUCH better than stock now, and it might be quicker than my unaltered OEM 2014 z51 in a straight line through the gears. So why'd I buy a z51?? I wanted a car that was (and would be) still under warranty for my wife to drive while I'm away. It had to handle 'about' as well as the c5 because I do all the interstate driving.

For "filling a need", the 2014 z51 was an outrageous expense if I only considered speed and handling; it just doesn't do that much better than my 'fully-modded' c5z06... BUT.

Off the showroom floor, the c7 z51 can do anything the bone stock c5 z06 could do better. The c5 is a much more raw ride; stuck in 'one-suspension' mode with its' non-adjustable ride, on rough roads, it handles like a truck; but in the paved turns--it's soooo much fun (with its' tune and 4.10s). I smile bigger and more often in my c5zo6 but I'd never say that about it if it was stock. The c7 is much more comfortable, forgiving, capable, in every respect. On a track, my c5 would make me work to stay ahead ifn I was driving the c7, but that's only because I dumped all that extra money into it before the c7 came to market in 2014. If I'da been able to trade my bone stock c5z06 for a reasonable price on a c7 z51, I'da done it in a heartbeat. The release of the c7 in 2014 made all my upgrades seem like folly. If I'da known, I would have waited the two years and traded my c5; as it was, I kept it because there was no way I'd get anything even close to $20Gs for trading it in. A supercharger wouldn't cure it, I don't care what anyone says. Pipedreams...
Old 07-24-2017, 09:54 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

If possible, the best way to test drive a car is rent one. Then you have all the time you want to play with stuff and get a vibe of the car. I find test driving with a sales person is very distracting to the point of being somewhat useless.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:27 AM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

I guess the salesman wasn't trying to sell a vette that day. He should have came with you, and showed you the "ropes" on the C7. Perhaps you didn't want that?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Lemans Blue
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
So, are you going back to take another spin, this time in other than Tour Mode? Preferably the same C7. Then give us an updated opinion.
Yes I'm going to drive it again.

Thanks for all the great input.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Lemans Blue
Instructor

Originally Posted by fourmat
Ya was at the dealer getting mine aligned and he had 4 more waiting
all of us under 200 miles, and they were all out some just toe many with camber way out
Interesting to hear that there are alignment issues popping up.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:55 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Some people might think I'm crazy but I have no intention of driving a C7 before I order a 2018 next year. If I were to drive one right now it would just drive me crazy knowing that I'm not going to own one for such a long time, so there really is no point in doing that to myself. I know for sure that I'm going to love the C7, 99.9% of the people who have driven one and compare it to the C6 say it's considerably better, so I'm going to trust all of those opinions even though I'm making a major purchase. I also love the idea that my very first drive behind the wheel of a C7 will be the one that I have custom ordered for myself! That will make the first drive with that car even more special.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:00 AM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 512 Likes on 302 Posts

I went from a C5 to a C7 Z06, I can absolutely tell you the C5 is nothing like the C7, night & day improvements. You have to drive a C7 a while to learn its traits, & then go to the Ron Fellows school, at that time you will learn what the C7 will really do. Then you will ask yourself, why didn't I get a C7 sooner.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Not every car suits everybody. So the OP is certainly entitled to his opinion. I know I have chosen to keep older stuff rather than get the latest only because I liked the older stuff better (and it served my purpose). So, no judgements here.

I was blown away when I got my C7 (of course It was 20 years since I sold my last car (a C4), and got back into a Corvette. Aside from the outstanding outward appearance, I was very surprised by the interior as well. The car looked world class to me.

Maybe if I was coming out of a C5 or a C6, I wouldn't have been so "Wowed" by the C7 (or then again, maybe I would). I'm still a huge fan of the C6 GS...although have never driven one (and that's not taking anything away from the C7).
Old 07-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Lemans Blue
Instructor

Thanks all for all the great input and yes I realize the C7 is way ahead of the C5 technologically, and it would take more time in it to fully realize the C7 capabilities. Also I would love to have one because it is a great looking machine only thing holding me back is the cost for a new one, perhaps in a couple of years the price of used ones will be in the right price range for me. And if I stepped on any ones small third member that was not my intent, I was just making an observation. I really do like my C5, its the Lemans commemorative edition and its starting to show its age so I'm thinking of dumping some money into it, new seat covers, complete new paint job, and a supercharger as it is lacking a little HP in today's comparison of performance cars. Hopefully when I get done with it I will be happy with it for several more years. When I first bought it I really thought it was the best value out there and I think its still a great value. A few months ago I also drove a C6 grand sport, man that was a nice car lots of good road feel and power, I really connected with it as I hoped I would connect with the C7. What I really want to drive now is a C6 Z06 with the LS7 427, I hear that engine is a tq monster, too bad there is a reliability issue with the heads dropping valves. With all of that, for now I'm just going to dump some money into my vette and enjoy what I have, its still a great machine. Again thanks for the great input.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Lemans Blue
Instructor

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew
I guess the salesman wasn't trying to sell a vette that day. He should have came with you, and showed you the "ropes" on the C7. Perhaps you didn't want that?
The sales man had been there only a week and knew nothing about vetts, he told me 3 times a story about his uncles 1967 split window vette, I corrected him 3 times but he still did not get it. He did however, convince the manager to let the C7 out for a test drive, I was great-full for that and it was fun.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:39 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 143 Posts

You sound like you're at a decision crossroads like I was-- HP and handling vs. c7 prices--and you seem focused on a supercharger as a 'temporary' remedy until c7 prices come down to a level you're willing to pay.

A supercharger isn't a one-item shopping commitment. You'll pay $6 for a new one, plus installation (unless you do it yourself), plus drivetrain upgrades. Your c5 won't be able to handle the extra power on an OEM drivetrain for long unless you baby the pedal. How many miles on your clutch? Maybe you might wanna think about holding off and installing 4.10s and a tune instead of a supercharger when it comes time to drop the entire drivetrain to rebuild the clutch. That'd be way cheaper than upgrading the drivetrain to support a supercharger.

Last edited by dork; 07-24-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Lemans Blue (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 AM
GOZ2FST
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BELVIN20
I went from a C5 to a C7 Z06, I can absolutely tell you the C5 is nothing like the C7, night & day improvements. You have to drive a C7 a while to learn its traits, & then go to the Ron Fellows school, at that time you will learn what the C7 will really do. Then you will ask yourself, why didn't I get a C7 sooner.
Last month I picked up a 2015 C7 after driving a C5 for 17 years. It's an A8 and I drive it in Sport mode only so far (Touring is a bit dull for me). After driving the C7 for about 10 days I got my C5 out of storage to clean and take pictures so I could sell it.

After a few miles in the C5 I was wondering "what the hell is wrong with this car? Something must have broken while it was sitting! It lacks power, doesn't brake well at all, etc etc.....then I realized how much better the C7 is.
Lemans Blue (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:58 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemans Blue
The sales man had been there only a week and knew nothing about vetts, he told me 3 times a story about his uncles 1967 split window vette, I corrected him 3 times but he still did not get it. He did however, convince the manager to let the C7 out for a test drive, I was great-full for that and it was fun.
Not sure about YOUR experiences, but generally I know far more about a vehicle (especially a C7) than 90% of "salesmen".

BTW..... did his uncle also have six tail lights on that '67 Split Window!!??....LOL
DALE#3 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Lemans Blue
Instructor

Originally Posted by lennykoll
Not sure about YOUR experiences, but generally I know far more about a vehicle (especially a C7) than 90% of "salesmen".

BTW..... did his uncle also have six tail lights on that '67 Split Window!!??....LOL
Yeah the sales guy was kind of a goober, but he did get the car off the lot.

I have loved vettes since I was 2 years old. I totally rebuilt a 74 L82 4 speed, also owned a 81 and installed crate engine with a TPI FI, anyone remember those?? My 81 received more compliments than my 04,, young girls just loved all the curves and sleekness of the 81, in fact several asked for rides in the 81,,, that was the great part about it, LoL young girls and vettes, who could ask for more.

Get notified of new replies

To I drove a C7 StingRay yesterday. My thoughts.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:10 PM
eli4sxp
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded a c5 for a c7 z06. It is vastly superior in every way. I keep the steering in track mode and it is very tight and responsive. I was not enamored with the c6 and decided to stand pat with my c5, but the c7 is a game changer. Virtually everything is noticeably better: steering, suspension, brakes, interior especially. Go for it!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:14 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

DON'T SPEND A DIME ON THE C5.Unless you love to burn money.Hang on.Drive it.Take care of it.Save your money.Look up what it's worth.Then you'll realize it's a loser to spend on it.Kelly Blue Book etc..
I had a PERFECT C5.It was flawless.Took a long time to not give it away.
I saw a C7 Drawing before they were for sale.Joined here and LEARNED the car.You got time.
Finally after after 5yrs. of looking at them.Couple of 85 mile drives just to check colors.
Then after a couple people close to me and a dog dying i sad F....IT!
Sir would you like a test drive?? Nope,Don't need it..I know the car

Last edited by DALE#3; 07-24-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

I've owned a C5, a C6 and now a C7. C7 > C6 > C5 in every aspect. Not just the technology that is readily apparent, but also the technology in design and manufacturing. Two quick examples: today's generation of MSRC shocks are way ahead of the previous generation; every C7 has a full aluminium frame (only the C6Z/ZR1 had aluminium frames) which is much more rigid than the old hydro-formed steel frames of the C5 and C6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I drove a C7 StingRay yesterday. My thoughts.