Sponsored by:

Infotainment Woes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 AM
Dave502
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Infotainment Woes!!!

I have searched and read everything on iPods not working and the fixes,I went down to the local Office Depot and had them transfer from the iPod to a Thumb drive and a SD card ....they both work great in my other vehicles but "NO" not in the Vette...I've tried everything but still get these two results (see pics)....Can someone please help...These FM stations are Killing me!

Old 07-24-2017, 11:25 AM
Maslo
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Posting some more details, like the songs' file extensions, partition info (Fat32, NTFS, etc), type of head unit which reads the drive in other cars, will be everyone's first questions.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:41 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

If this guy had to go to Office Depot to transfer files to a USB stick/SD card, changes are high he doesn't know what Fat32, NTFS, etc. is. But you are right that he should provide more details, like what he actually did!! For example, I see a screen for bluetooth and it saying No Artist Info. Why are you on Bluetooth and expecting things to come off of a USB stick or an SD card? Have you tried hitting the Media hardware button to switch to the the other media input? Namely the USB input?

Then the next screen shot is saying "Action not supported by this device" with no idea of exactly what "action" he did!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:43 AM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

It probably needs to be fat32 and a lot of flash drives now are exfat. Simple reformat fixes that. Also how big is the flash drive? I have a 128gb one and it works in all my cars, but haven’t tried the Vette yet.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:34 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree with Defaria and Maslo. I bet Dave, you dunno what you're doing--no offense meant...

Defaria nailed it I think. Your Infotainment is in the wrong mode. I'm not near my car so I can't check, but I think your in Radio or Bluetooth mode expecting to see your iPod. Press the 'Media' button (to 'start over') and choose 'USB' when you find it on the screen. (As a WAG away from my car, I bet he pressed "Menu" on the first screenshot to get the error message "Action not supported".)

Dave, do you know under what file type your songs are stored? Why store them on an SD card for the c7's infotainment system? (a thumb drive would be more convenient and not require any other hardware)
Old 07-24-2017, 12:37 PM
Dave502
Racer

Originally Posted by WGGS
It probably needs to be fat32 and a lot of flash drives now are exfat. Simple reformat fixes that. Also how big is the flash drive? I have a 128gb one and it works in all my cars, but haven’t tried the Vette yet.

The SD card is fat32 just like the SD cards I got for the PDR which works great, the thumb drive and SD Card are both16 GB which is plenty for the songs I have....The iPod worked great in the C6 but not here....Don't know what head unit is in a 2015 jeep and a 2014 Silverado PU which the iPod works
Old 07-24-2017, 01:02 PM
JaxC7
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave502
The SD card is fat32 just like the SD cards I got for the PDR which works great, the thumb drive and SD Card are both16 GB which is plenty for the songs I have....The iPod worked great in the C6 but not here....Don't know what head unit is in a 2015 jeep and a 2014 Silverado PU which the iPod works
You keep saying "SD Card". The only place in the vette where an SD card can be used is for the PDR. That is a dedicated slot and cannot be used for anything but PDR. So this will never work for music.

The USB connections (thumb drive) are the only ones that can be used for music. Unless you want to operate the system in "folder" mode, it is absolutely critical that the MP3 files be tagged correctly. At a minimum, the Artist, Album, and Track Name need to be set. In addition, setting the track number and disc number is helpful as well. I highly recommend the MP3Tag utility for this (assuming you're on a PC).

You can access folder mode through the menus once the infotainment system has recognized your thumb drive. Folder mode will attempt to use the folders and filenames instead of MP3 tags to let you browse and play music, however, if all the files are simply dumped in the top level directory of the thumb drive, the system will not split them up by album or artist.

Last edited by JaxC7; 07-24-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:17 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxC7
You keep saying "SD Card". The only place in the vette where an SD card can be used is for the PDR. That is a dedicated slot and cannot be used for anything but PDR. So this will never work for music.

The USB connections (thumb drive) are the only ones that can be used for music. Unless you want to operate the system in "folder" mode, it is absolutely critical that the MP3 files be tagged correctly. At a minimum, the Artist, Album, and Track Name need to be set. In addition, setting the track number and disc number is helpful as well. I highly recommend the MP3Tag utility for this (assuming you're on a PC).

You can access folder mode through the menus once the infotainment system has recognized your thumb drive. Folder mode will attempt to use the folders and filenames instead of MP3 tags to let you browse and play music, however, if all the files are simply dumped in the top level directory of the thumb drive, the system will not split them up by album or artist.
My 2015 had an SD slot in the center arm rest for music, they did away with that slot in later years as it's not present in my '17.

What year car does the OP have?

Last edited by Thunder22; 07-24-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave502
I have searched and read everything on iPods not working and the fixes,I went down to the local Office Depot and had them transfer from the iPod to a Thumb drive and a SD card ....they both work great in my other vehicles but "NO" not in the Vette...I've tried everything but still get these two results (see pics)....Can someone please help...These FM stations are Killing me!

With all due respect, READ the infotainment manual and it will show you how to push media button then choose, Sat, USB, BLUE TOOTH ETC. It will work you just have to learn how to get to the options!
Old 07-24-2017, 02:01 PM
JaxC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thunder22
My 2015 had an SD slot in the center arm rest for music, they did away with that slot in later years as it's not present in my '17.

What year car does the OP have?
I missed his signature. Looks like he has a '15 as well, so my SD card comments can be ignored...
Old 07-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Dave502
Racer

Originally Posted by JaxC7

Hate to disagree with you but in my 2015 there is a SDSlot right
Next to both USB ports in console. I tried the SD card in my jeep and truck and it worked playing songs...from what I understand the SDCard slot was removed in 2017...I'm in the process now to get all songs converted to MP3 songs and delete songs from thumb drive and SD card and load them back with MP3. If that doesn't work..ill just have to use headphones and keep iPod in pocket

Last edited by Dave502; 07-24-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:01 PM
JNess
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like it is looking for a Bluetooth device, and not a connected device.

Hit the 'media' button again to change devices.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:42 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I've said this hundreds of times, the infotainment systems is the weak point on the Stingray, it absolutely sucks and does crap that it's not supposed to. If it wasn't so intertwined with other systems in the car I would've gotten rid of it a long time ago......just junk!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:48 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
I've said this hundreds of times, the infotainment systems is the weak point on the Stingray, it absolutely sucks and does crap that it's not supposed to. If it wasn't so intertwined with other systems in the car I would've gotten rid of it a long time ago......just junk!
I totally disagree with your statement. what facts do you have to support your opinion?

to the op, insert flash drive into slot. use your mic/phone switch on the and say "play Freebird". if you have freebird on the stick, it will play. voila! no freebird, pick a song you know is there.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:29 AM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by kitesurfer
I totally disagree with your statement. what facts do you have to support your opinion?
the infotainment system will not play "books on CD" that are ripped to mp3 files in the correct chapter/subchapter order. The system insists on arranging the book tracks in some arbitrary order for playback.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:09 AM
JaxC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by CP
the infotainment system will not play "books on CD" that are ripped to mp3 files in the correct chapter/subchapter order. The system insists on arranging the book tracks in some arbitrary order for playback.
As with nearly all other MP3 issues, having the files properly tagged makes all the difference in the world. A "book on CD" isn't anything special, ultimately, it's just a collection of MP3 files. As long as the files have the proper Artist (author), Album (book title), track number (sequential index), and track name (chapter / subchapter name) tags, the system will group the tracks and play them in the right order. For a "book on CD", it's critical that the Artist, Album, and track number particularly are correctly coded into the files.

The system doesn't care about the organization of files on the USB stick, only the tags in the files. When you insert a new thumb drive, it is indexed by the infotainment system. This process reads the tags from the files and stores them in the system's database. It uses this database to organize and play the files based on the tag information. In this mode, correct tags are critical to success.

The only time file and folder structure on the USB drive matters is if you've gone into the system and used the file/folder play option. This mode attempts to use the physical folder structure and file names on the media rather than the tags to organize things. In this case, it plays the tracks in alphabetical order so correct file names including the track number are critical to success.

Either way, you need to do one of two things: properly tag your files (preferred), or be very diligent about folder structure and file naming on the USB drive (a PITA in my opinion).

Last edited by JaxC7; 07-25-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:21 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

OP have you tried switching sources via the media button? As others have said you cannot play an SD card over Bluetooth.

Do you own an iPhone?

Get notified of new replies

To Infotainment Woes!!!

Old 07-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Just because you can't figure out 90% of it, doesn't mean the fault lies with they system....

Old 07-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Dave502
Racer

Originally Posted by JNess
Looks like it is looking for a Bluetooth device, and not a connected device.

Hit the 'media' button again to change devices.
Whenever I tap the media button again it goes back to the pic I posted
(Action not supported by this device)...I went down to computer place and had them convert all songs on thumb drive to MP3 format. They thought that was problem.....That didn't work either...Here in West Palm beach we have the largest Cars And Coffee around,as many as 2000 vehicles have showed up...it is this Sunday and there will probably be 200+ Corvettes there...Ill walk around and see if anybody is using iPods or thumb drives and maybe they can help me..Thanks
Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Make a play list which states the order of the MP3 files to play. Viola! Problems solved. There's no way the system can know which goes first and which goes next.

Quick Reply: Infotainment Woes!!!