Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:13 PM
shootincyclone
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13
Default VROOM.COM car buying experience

I had been looking for a used Z06 for about 6 months or so. Passively looking knowing that one day I'd find one with all the options that I wanted and a price that I couldn’t pass up. I've been fortunate throughout history by finding exactly what I want, used, for about 2/3 the sticker price of a brand new one while still very low mileage. My truck, my 2008 corvette, really any cars that I've owned.

I missed out on a local purchase of a Z06 with the Z07 package by hours and hadn’t been able to find another used one just like it until I came across Vroom. They had the car listed "locally" but in reality, it was down in Houston Texas which is about 1100 miles away. This car has every option available without being a C7.R. It was 1-year old with just over 2k miles, and $34,000 less than it cost in June 2016 when the first owner took it off the lot.

I contacted Vroom and got Jennifer as my sales rep. I probably asked 729 questions including having them take countless pictures. You could see the rear-view mirror reflection on the passenger side of the dash and made them take picture after picture until I could clearly see there wasn’t a mark on the dash. As a Mechanical Engineer, being **** about taking care of things comes naturally. Some might call it an OCD to a fault. Call me the pain in the butt buyer I guess. I knew exactly what I wanted....A brand new used car, ha! And this is a little more expensive than purchasing a pair of shoes online so dotting the i's and crossing the t's only makes sense.

My experience throughout this process is what ultimately made me feel comfortable enough to move forward. That combined with their no hassle, 7-day or 250-mile guarantee, made it easy to go ahead. I gave my CC# over the phone for the $500 refundable deposit. Jennifer indicated I could get my deposit back no questions asked if I decided to go another route, again, risk free. Their Director of Sales, Alex, called me and he went through the remaining process which included fedex overnight paperwork to my house for me to sign. It came with a self-addressed envelope inside so it would be overnighted back without me having to go to any fedex location. They came and picked it up the next day. Next thing I know the transport company was in touch (48 hours later) and wanted to discuss delivery. Originally they said the car wouldn’t be to my house until Tuesday but after talking to the transport company they said they could get it to me sooner if I wanted. HELL YES, I said, and the car was to my door Sunday night, just 1 week from giving my deposit over the phone.

The car arrived in very good shape except for 2 very minor issues. I called them up and told them I needed to take it to a detail center to buff out a couple small scratch on the hood. And I needed to replace the front splitter as it looks like the previous owner got a little too close to a curb. They asked for pictures and worked with me on what I needed to be happy with the car. Those splitters aren’t cheap but they agreed to replace it. Today I couldn’t be happier!

My experience was quite favorable. Minor hiccup when it wasn’t exactly as I had hoped but they fixed this situation right away vs having to return the car. I got such a great deal on it to begin with that I probably would have just replaced the front splitter even if they told me they wouldn’t be able to help.

In case you are wondering, Vroom worked well for me. There were a few sleepless nights wondering if I had just made a huge mistake but thankfully things turned out great in the end.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:53 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,576 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I had considered VROOM in the passed, but dismissed as I did not know much about the relatively new company. Your thread makes me a bit more confident...
Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 PM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

I tried to buy a car from them and they at first were great but I could not work a deal. A week later they got a car in I like but when I email and called the first sales associate I worked his phone number and email was no longer valid. I then used their email and nobody called me back and the next day I went and bought a car locally.

They are on Ebay as Texas Direct Auto's.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:59 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,576 Likes on 1,645 Posts

VROOM = Texas Direct?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:00 PM
shootincyclone
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
VROOM = Texas Direct?
yes
Old 07-25-2017, 01:20 AM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, Vroom and Texas direct are now the same. I've bought a car from Vroom with no issues and have sold them 3 cars. It's a legit operation and their prep process is better than any dealership I've seen.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:39 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Vroom=Texas Direct AND Dealerlane. "Isn't it time for you to change lanes?
Introducing DealerLane.com - Powered by Texas Direct Auto, the future of retail ready inventory!"

Dealerlane was $1400 cheaper for the exact same car than VROOM, TEXAS DIRECT, EBAY (Texas Direct) and USAA used cars (Texas Direct).

VROOM said on their website advertisement free shipping. But not mentioned on EBAY, TEXAS Direct, Dealerlane or USAA in their advertisements

VROOM advised they charged a $150 documentation fee, but they provide no assistance in licensing and registering the car in your state.. I don't pay big bucks now to stand in line at the DMV; especially after one dealer forgot to give me the cars origination certificate on a new car, which the dealer was not able to process the licensing in my state. Plus pay the sales tax and registration fees directly instead of rolling it into the loan.

And i was off-put by two VROOM vette advertisements (different cars) which both stated NO Books (owners manuals) ONLY 1 Fob, and NO floor mats. vette owners are **** about keeping every scrap of paper for future Barrett-Jackson hammer fall instant wealth retirement plans; so what does VROOM do with what they withhold from their sale cars?

Last edited by SilverGhost; 07-25-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:00 AM
shootincyclone
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
VROOM advised they charged a $150 documentation fee, but they provide no assistance in licensing and registering the car in your state.. I don't pay big bucks now to stand in line at the DMV; especially after one dealer forgot to give me the cars origination certificate on a new car, which the dealer was not able to process the licensing in my state. Plus pay the sales tax and registration fees directly instead of rolling it into the loan.

And i was off-put by two VROOM vette advertisements (different cars) which both stated NO Books (owners manuals) ONLY 1 Fob, and NO floor mats. vette owners are **** about keeping every scrap of paper for future Barrett-Jackson hammer fall instant wealth retirement plans; so what does VROOM do with what they withhold from their sale cars?

I paid the $150 to have them process my title and plates. I'll have to keep an eye out for issues there.

Funny you should mention the NO books and floor mats part. It said that on mine which I thought was odd. I already had floor mats and an owners manual in my 'shopping cart' but glad I didnt BUY NOW before the car came. It arrived with Z06 embroidered driver passenger and trunk mats. Plus had the owners manual exactly as you would expect in the glove box.

Something else I could appreciate was the fact that they were open about being a newer company that is growing fast and set my expectations to not be surprised if some departments were slower to respond than others. Under promise. Over deliver.

Get notified of new replies

To VROOM.COM car buying experience

Quick Reply: VROOM.COM car buying experience