Sponsored by:

Unusual RPM variation

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:07 PM
fasturner
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unusual RPM variation

I recently purchased a 2015 C7 with the Z51 package and magnetic ride control. I noticed a strange phenomenon while driving at a steady 75 mph (cruise control) on a dead flat interstate road. The car would bump up from 1700 to 1850 rpm every 5 seconds, hold the higher rpm for a second and then drop back to 1700 rpm. There was no visible change in speed. When the rpm change occurred it felt as if the car had crossed a small bump in the road simultaneously. The same thing happened repeatedly for the entire trip regardless of speed.
I am not sure if it is an engine control or tachometer problem. It felt like a misfire, but I doubt a misfire would cause an RPM bump up. With the exception of this problem the engine performs fine.
Anybody had a similar issue?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:21 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by fasturner
I recently purchased a 2015 C7 with the Z51 package and magnetic ride control. I noticed a strange phenomenon while driving at a steady 75 mph (cruise control) on a dead flat interstate road. The car would bump up from 1700 to 1850 rpm every 5 seconds, hold the higher rpm for a second and then drop back to 1700 rpm. There was no visible change in speed. When the rpm change occurred it felt as if the car had crossed a small bump in the road simultaneously. The same thing happened repeatedly for the entire trip regardless of speed.
I am not sure if it is an engine control or tachometer problem. It felt like a misfire, but I doubt a misfire would cause an RPM bump up. With the exception of this problem the engine performs fine.
Anybody had a similar issue?
Unfortunately, I believe you have a torque converter problem which happened with a few A8 Transmissions. Hopefully, it is still under warranty. Good Luck
Old 08-02-2017, 02:33 PM
fasturner
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Unfortunately, I believe you have a torque converter problem which happened with a few A8 Transmissions. Hopefully, it is still under warranty. Good Luck
It is still under warranty, I will get it to the dealer and have it checked out. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:46 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I believe based on what you described that it is the torque converter issue switching between V4 and V8 mode. May have to be a TC replacement and, or transmission. You should be good on the warranty. Sorry you have to go through this, but take it in right away and get it behind you. Be prepared for 2 or 3 visits. Sometimes the take the least aggressive measures and work up to the more complicated repairs. Good luck and let us know how it goes. AT least if it consistently doing that, they should diagnosis quickly.

Last edited by joemessman; 08-02-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:53 PM
ddelallata
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

TC problem as others above commented.
It happened to my 2017 Vette too and there is a new procedure for some vehicles depending on the year that involves changing the fluid 3 times w/ Mobil1 LV ATF.
I believe that on some 2015 models, the fix still calls for changing the TC .
Old 08-02-2017, 07:21 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Keep us posted on what they say/do. Hopefully they can fix it with just a 3x fluid flush.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:32 PM
ddelallata
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's a copy of the bulletin in case your dealer in not aware of the problem.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...tate-1324.html
Old 08-03-2017, 09:39 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Drive the car in M mode using paddle shifter and the RPM and shudder should go away. This is not a fix but will verify your problem is the TC. Lot of owners with this same problem, how many miles? Good luck with fix
Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 PM
fasturner
3rd Gear

Default In manual mode the problem disappears

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Drive the car in M mode using paddle shifter and the RPM and shudder should go away. This is not a fix but will verify your problem is the TC. Lot of owners with this same problem, how many miles? Good luck with fix
I tried the car in M mode as you suggested and the problem disappears. When i switch back to Drive it reappears. It goes into Chevy dealer on Tuesday. Thanks for all your help. I will keep everyone posted.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (08-04-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Unusual RPM variation

Quick Reply: Unusual RPM variation