C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Selective Ride Control Needed and Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:21 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by dsandula
Is Magnetice Selective Ride Control needed? Has it proven reliable over a number of years & miles? I'll never run my Corvette on a track and will likely end up with a Z51.
If you aren't planning to track your car, then you don't need the Z51 package. I have the Z51 without the MSRC and frankly don't miss it (I had it on my previous Camaro ZL1). The stock shocks ride great in any type of road, they don't feel harsh and the car handles great.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Actually, a lot of the hard core track folks are going w/ MSRC, adding the DSC Sport Controller and knocking a couple of seconds off their previous best lap times.
I suspected that was the case. Now I definitely want the V2 DSC Sport controller.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Trust me, you DO want the DSC.

I've had one installed for 10 months now, and it totally transforms the suspension. It both increases comfort and dramatically improves handling. The OEM MSRC controller setup feels crude in comparison, even though it's still quite good.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-20-2017 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Internetguru (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:50 AM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Msrc

I'm confused about this option.
My friend showed me his 2015 corvette. On the center console, there is that round ****, one turns to get the different choices of ride? He does not have MSRC. He has a 1LT, Without Z51, he has the performance exhaust, Z51 appearance, PDR and M7. He showed me his Window Sticker. No MSRC. Great ride.
Please explain?
How do you know if you have MSRC?
The new GS comes standard with it.
Can it be switched Off and On to see the difference? How? That would prove it out.
No Track on the street.
Prove it is what I want.
Drive the same street/highway, same speed, same route, will one notice the difference?
Thank You

Last edited by vettnut; 10-21-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:23 AM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would buy a C7 and not take advantage of all the world class technology that is available to them at such a great price. eLSD, MSRC, PTM, such a bargain. Then again half the people here don't really drive them much or very hard. To each their own but IMO it's a no brainer.
Foosh (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

My answers in bold below under each of your questions:

Originally Posted by vettnut
I'm confused about this option.
My friend showed me his 2015 corvette. On the center console, there is that round ****, one turns to get the different choices of ride? He does not have MSRC. He has a 1LT, Without Z51, he has the performance exhaust, Z51 appearance, PDR and M7. He showed me his Window Sticker. No MSRC. Great ride.
Please explain?

The center console **** is the same in all C7s from base car to Z06 and allows one to select the following driving modes: Weather, Economy, Tour, Sport, and Track. Depending upon how a car is equipped, certain things are changed in various modes (e.g. displays, exhaust note, etc.) On an MSRC car, the dial adjusts the suspension differently (in addition to all the other settings) in Tour, Sport, and Track. Tour is softest, Track is stiffest.

A non-MSRC car also has the same modes, but the suspension doesn't change when you turn the dial, although other features do depending upon equipage.

Like all cars with non-adjustable shocks, the ride can be comfortable or stiff depending on shock selection. Road conditions vary greatly as well. However, it's the SAME shock setting all the time on standard shocks, which can be great on some roads, and too soft/too harsh on others. The beauty of MSRC is that you get to choose a softer ride for cruising, or a stiffer ride for spirited handling or track use. If you're transitioning from smooth pavement to badly broken pavement, you can soften it up for comfort. The change can be instantly accomplished in motion at any speed with a simple turn of the dial.

MSRC also keeps the chassis more stable with less bounce. It automatically softens and stiffens the shocks on the fly depending upon road conditions, G-forces, etc.

How do you know if you have MSRC?

There are two easy ways to tell, MSRC shocks are black and have wires coming out of them. That can be viewed either from underneath the car or the wires seen in the engine compartment. Standard shocks are yellow.

The new GS comes standard with it.
Can it be switched Off and On to see the difference? How? That would prove it out.
No Track on the street.
Prove it is what I want.
Drive the same street/highway, same speed, same route, will one notice the difference?

It cannot be switched off, and you wouldn't want it to be. MSRC works by applying an electric current which magnetizes a ferrous fluid inside the shock changing it's viscosity. Depending upon the amount of current supplied, the shock is either softer or stiffer. If it could be turned off, shocks would be full soft all the time. That would not be desirable.

You can feel an obvious difference most of the time by rotating the dial between Tour, Sport, and Track. Traveling in a straight line on a very smooth road, it will be less obvious, but hit the first bump and the difference is clearly apparent.

Thank You

You're welcome.
I also think MSRC is a no-brainer. It is amazing technology that transforms the character, ride-quality, and handling performance of the car, depending upon how you're using it and what type of pavement conditions (smooth or broken) you're experiencing at any given time. I would not purchase a C7 without it.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-21-2017 at 12:28 PM.
harmonyp (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 08:50 AM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Foosh
Thanks for the full explanation taking your time describing MSRC and how it works.
Great Job
Again Thank You
My answers in bold below under each of your questions:

I also think MSRC is a no-brainer. It is amazing technology that transforms the character, ride-quality, and handling performance of the car, depending upon how you're using it and what type of pavement conditions (smooth or broken) you're experiencing at any given time. I would not purchase a C7 without it.

Last edited by vettnut; 10-22-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:00 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

MSRC come standard on the Z06, but I would have still ordered it if it was an option.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:14 AM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

... MSRC is a no-brainer... I would not purchase a C7 without it.
100% agreed!

Quick Reply: Magnetic Selective Ride Control Needed and Reliable?