Sponsored by:

Confessions of a garage princess

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:59 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Confessions of a garage princess

Ok, first off, I'm not coming out but I'd like to raise the issue of Garage Queens vs drive 'em and leave the mud on them.....I own my final Vette (2014 C7 Z51 MT 7 1 LT) with a few gentle mods (Corsa exhaust, aFe CAI, Z06 grill and a few for show); she's got 10,800 miles and is my daily driver as a teacher about 9 miles from work here in WA State.

Now, my point, I am retiring at the end of this next school year on a teacher's (very) fixed income. After five Vettes I had actually looked at some other makes for my final buy (Porsches, Jags, BMW, Audi, etc.) with the question "what can I afford to OWN". I came back to the C7.

I need a car I can afford to OWN and therefore, maintain and I have kept her to about 4K/year not because I fear any elements (though a couple times in snow had me turn to my lovely bride and her Prius) but because when I am retired I can enjoy her knowing I have many miles ahead without any serious maintenance/repair needs. I have free oil changes for life but even tires are 1600(?) bucks to replace; shocks, brakes, etc......

Therefore I don't fear the miles or reasonable wear and tear but I need a car I can afford to use when the wallet is wanting. Hope this makes sense.....

Last edited by dbirdhouse1; 08-04-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:38 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Nothing wrong with that, do you have a spare car to putt around town in?

Mine sits in the garage for use on my days off. I have so much gear I carry to work extra clothes etc. I can't really shower after work and I sure as hell am not going sit my sweaty dirty *** in my new ride. So I got a work car and a few play cars. Low low miles in the vette, but I drive it often. It stays in the garage.

As crazy as this may seem I keep new spare parts laying around for all my cars. If you really wanna get ahead in the long run. Work all your routine maintenance on your own. It will keep ya busy when retired! ��

FWIW simple things like brakes, rear diff, tranny gear oil, brake and clutch fluid... That's where the Indys and dealers really make there $$$. Orielly auto resurfaced rotors for 15$ a pop, been there several times. Anything you can do on your own is money in your pocket!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-05-2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 08-04-2017, 09:51 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
Ok, first off, I'm not coming out but I'd like to raise the issue of Garage Queens vs drive 'em and leave the mud on them..........
There are a lot of owners that fall in between those extreme extremes. Many owners who drive very little and their cars look like crap, and many who drive quite a bit, and still manage to drive a shiny, clean car.

I can't help you out with what car should be your DD, but I thought I'd point that out.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:25 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Corvettes have been my DDs for 27 years... amassing more than 600,000 miles...

These days I split the DD duties between the C7 and a 29-year-old Ferrari. I too am on a fixed income - retired military pay of an E-7 (1984) and Social Security.....
Old 08-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Retirement is a wonderful thing, and a Corvette makes it so much better. I do understand your apprehension concerning the cost of upkeep on a Corvette, but remember they are very reliable cars. They can also handle many many miles, ex. just look at the mileage Lisa (owc6) has amassed on her's. You can pick up a reliable beater for little cost that will help you keep the miles down on your's. There are tons of used Civics, Corolla's, and even small American cars that can do the trick.

I just picked up an '06 Mustang GT with 80K miles to tinker with, and help keep those little run here, run there miles off my newer vehicles. I insured it through Hagerty's for a great price that saved money also.

Disclaimer: If I understood correctly what you were asking in your thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Confessions of a garage princess

Quick Reply: Confessions of a garage princess